Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

EST. Here's my availability currently between now and first game of the season:

July 30, Aug 3-6, 16-17, 27-1 though I suspect some of that last week is gonna get eaten.

We have a three month old and sleep when she does, meaning early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zauper posted:

EST. Here's my availability currently between now and first game of the season:

July 30, Aug 3-6, 16-17, 27-1 though I suspect some of that last week is gonna get eaten.

We have a three month old and sleep when she does, meaning early.

OK, I've put you green for the 16-17 and 27-1. We can't do a live draft before August 7th since Ash is already away and it would be pretty unfair to schedule a draft while he's already gone.

Are you totally unavailable those other dates, or only for a narrow window?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

OK, I've put you green for the 16-17 and 27-1. We can't do a live draft before August 7th since Ash is already away and it would be pretty unfair to schedule a draft while he's already gone.
Yeah, obviously. Was just copy/pasting what I had sent spermy in the past.

quote:

Are you totally unavailable those other dates, or only for a narrow window?

I mean, I can do most days during work hours EST, probably? But even then, probably not on most of the days excluded there because it's mostly travel.

But in some cases, maybe? e.g. August 9 is our daycare's orientation, so I could potentially be available at some point after, but can't predict exactly when. 10-15 I'm in NYC for work and dealing with work events every night; 18-26 is vacation; 2-6 is vacation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I found posts saying Zauper's actually on vacation the 19th-26th and again the 2nd-6th, if that means totally unavailable then we have fairly narrow windows left for the draft, because I've got an offsite work thing I have to go to the 27th-30th, and while in theory I could draft from my hotel room, in practice it's likely there will be semi-obligatory socializing with co-workers after the training poo poo so I really don't want to schedule a live draft in that window.

That means all by ourselves, we've narrowed the window down to prior to the 18th, or 8/31 or 9/1. If we do two live drafts, it might be we're doing one draft like maybe friday august 17th at night followed by one draft 8/31 or 9/1?

Of course if those dates don't work for everyone then one or the other of us is gonna be autodrafting, lol

I also found a post from the zack saying any time after 8pm eastern, so I put that into the sheet too.

e. OK, thanks Zauper.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
I’m CST.

Will look at dates when I get back to work and can check calendars.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

August 8 just cancelled on me, so I can do that too.

And if necessary, I can get someone to draft for me / auto for the rookies.

Zauper fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 30, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright I went ahead and added the dates to all the way back to august 8th just so I could note that, although if we're doing live drafts that's way earlier than we should be drafting.

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008
I can do any weeknight after 5 or so PM EST time from August 8th til the start of the regular season. Unfortunately the time difference makes it tough to do anything before the 7th but it fits in everyone else’s schedule I can make it work

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I will update the sheet later but it's basically 7:30 est or later every night. No vacations happening till Sept 5th so we better have it done before then.

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
timezone is MST. I'm available whenever.. I'll just set alarms/calendar appointments for draft stuff. I'm remodeling a house before we move in so I'll be tied up with that but can't really give specific dates.. kinda just working through it until everything is finished and we can move in.. still waiting for flooring to be delivered in the next week or so. On option 1 and 2 I don't really have an opinion.. my cap space situation sucks rear end so I wont be able to do much.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Can't edit the document so here you go.

No:
8/8-10
8/17-19
8/20-24
8/31 - 9/5

Yes:
8/11 Evening
8/12 Afternoon
8/13-16 Evening
8/25 Evening
8/26 Afternoon/Evening
8/27-30 Evening

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
That's the nail in the coffin then. Slow draft it is for both...

Frick.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright I've got you guys in there.

Swarmin Swedes posted:

I can do any weeknight after 5 or so PM EST time from August 8th til the start of the regular season. Unfortunately the time difference makes it tough to do anything before the 7th but it fits in everyone else’s schedule I can make it work

August 7th isn't on the table because Ash is gone till then, and September 7th is after the first regular season game. So I've got you down for 5pm+ on weeknights. I take it you're not available at all on the weekends?

Alfalfa posted:

Can't edit the document so here you go.

No:
8/8-10
8/17-19
8/20-24

8/31 - 9/5

Did you intend for the bolded dates to be contiguous?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

August 7th isn't on the table because Ash is gone till then, and September 7th is after the first regular season game. So I've got you down for 5pm+ on weeknights. I take it you're not available at all on the weekends?

Yes I was just breaking things up by week. Unfortunately I'm traveling for work all next week and the week of Aug 20th and that consists of stuff until 8-10pm at night. Then I have a few live drafts I have to attend on Saturdays so those are out.

If I'm the odd man out and there is a date that works for everyone else, let me know and I can probably swing it (except for the 18th for sure)

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I am ash but weekends would be tough I have 2 bachelor parties, a wedding, and school kicking off, depending on the weekend I might be able to swing it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

If I'm the odd man out and there is a date that works for everyone else, let me know and I can probably swing it (except for the 18th for sure)

Yeah it's increasingly looking like someone is gonna be the odd man out, but it doesn't necessarily have to be you. When we have everyoen's schedule we'll see what seems to work best for the most number of people.

Swarmin Swedes posted:

I am ash but weekends would be tough I have 2 bachelor parties, a wedding, and school kicking off, depending on the weekend I might be able to swing it.

Oh god dammit of course you are, sorry.
Yeah if there are any days free across the 8 weekend dates in the range august 8th through september 2nd, please let me know, because that might easily wind up becoming our draft date for one draft.

Also just a reminder to everyone, Monday, September 3rd is Labor Day.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Tyler said he is fine for whenever. No dates or times that are impossible for him.

Edit: Just do 3x rounds of normal waivers on 3 consecutive days or something for the FA auction?

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 30, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Tyler said he is fine for whenever. No dates or times that are impossible for him.

Edit: Just do 3x rounds of normal waivers on 3 consecutive days or something for the FA auction?

Running it using the waiver wire standard rules (that is, non conditional waivers) doesn't really work. You could win three big bids and blow your cap, or not win any of them and wind up wanting to have bid on three other guys instead. The only way to be sure to get enough players if you want several, is to bid on a ton of players, and potentially win too many. Plus, the order in which bids are won is from highest to lowest, so you'll tend to fill your roster slots with your highest bids. And you pretty much have to bid the highest amount you'd pay, so you can't underbid and then win something for a bargain because nobody else turns out to want that guy.

Last year we ran it with the conditional bids system, which seeks to mitigate the above by letting you create some kind of scripted "if I got X guy, don't bid on Y guy" but as we saw, MFL's conditional bidding system is both insane, and does not work as advertised. Plus I guess we'd be turning off conditional drops?

That's how we arrived at a live FA auction. I think it will be a pretty fast draft, so doing it on a weeknight after people have worked should be OK - the pool of free agents people will actually bid on is far smaller than you'd have for, say, an auction-based startup draft for a regular redraft league. So probably like... 20 or so guys anyone will bid on? Maybe?

Right now we have a window on Thursday August 16th when everyone appears to be available. After that, the best window is the one where I'm not available - 8/27 to 8/30 - so maybe what we'll need to do is I can just block out some time on one of those evenings and plan to beg off any work-related dinners or whatever and do the draft from my hotel room. If it's the auction draft probably 2 hours will work. Also I'm realizing that thursday the 30th, we're breaking off the training thing and I get to go home early that day, so I'm actually sorta free that evening (although first evening home after being gone 3 days is not ideal).

Sooo, what do you guys think?

First draft (rookies?) on August 16th after ~8:30pm or so EST, and then second draft (FAs?) on September 30th, at around 8pm+ EST?

e. Of course I don't have dates yet for Chen, Epi, Stevie, or Teemu, so that's very very tentative.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 31, 2018

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Rookie Fast Draft and FA Slow Auction sound best to me.

FA Auction 14 hour timer and timer resets anytime new bid is made.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Alfalfa posted:

I think the exact opposite.

Rookies have no back and forth. Just make a pick and move to the next guy.

Fast FA since its gonna take 20 minutes max.

Edit: but both fast auctions at above times will be best. Both fast please!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

So it could potentially take a week for one player if there's a bidding war?

I guess that could work, if there's some mechanism for nominating players, everyone pays attention through the whole draft so nobody loses out on a player due to being busy all day on one particular saturday, etc. IT would suck if someone happens to be busy/away that one day the player they really want gets nominated, though. I guess if the system let you put in "autodraft" style bids on all the players you want, and then auto-bid for you...? Is there such a thing out there?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

So it could potentially take a week for one player if there's a bidding war?

I guess that could work, if there's some mechanism for nominating players, everyone pays attention through the whole draft so nobody loses out on a player due to being busy all day on one particular saturday, etc. IT would suck if someone happens to be busy/away that one day the player they really want gets nominated, though. I guess if the system let you put in "autodraft" style bids on all the players you want, and then auto-bid for you...? Is there such a thing out there?

You can proxy bid if you have the high bid? But that doesn't necessarily help..

If one is slow, it should be rookies IMO. Just easier to deal with predraft than checking in constantly from vacation / etc.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Proxy bid gets rid of the back and forth.

I’ve never done a FA Auction that wasnt a proxy bid.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Those dates work for me.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Here’s an idea.

Why not just do live rookie auction and then immediately afterwards do live FA auction.

Easier than trying to find 2 dates and all in all shouldn’t take more than 3 hours.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Taxi squads. Cant auto draft to them, so commish need to move them manually.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Taxi squads. Cant auto draft to them, so commish need to move them manually.

So how would FA auction then rookie work?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We add 4 roster slots manually (or as many slots as they want), do rookie draft, then move them over manually again and remove extra roster slots.

Same way it would work with the Rookie draft first. Exact same process no matter what way we do it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Better.

Before the rookie draft, we add extra roster slots to everyone's roster, equal to the number of taxi squad slots. This way you can draft players "directly to the taxi squad" even though MFL doesn't let you do that. A commissioner also has to go in and add the rookie salaries to all the players.

If we did both auctions one after the other, we could do FA first, as long as nobody used their extra roster slots to hold a FA (unless I guess that FA is taxi squad eligible, which is possible this year, if you want an FA who was a rookie last year that nobody ever started).

If we did rookie draft first, the commissioners could do the clean up before doing the FA draft. Last year I think it took me about half an hour or so, maybe 45m? You just have to be careful not to make a typo while inputting the salaries for the players, and then get everyone to move any rookies using the extra slots onto their taxi squads, and then remove the extra roster slots league-wide.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
August 16th works for me...if we commit to that soon. I'll need to request it off from my second job to make sure I don't get scheduled that night

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We gotta schedule the 16th if we can.

Just schedule it and we'll figure out which one it is afterwards.

We're tied in votes for FA vs Rookie first with 10/12 votes.

Leper, do you want to send out an email about it sometime? I've been spamming people lately I think!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright, I used the MFL interface to send an email to everyone. We'll call the 16th a firm date, only likely to be torpedoed if Teemu gets back and he definitely can't do it. Our other date is tentatively August 30th.

Maybe what we can do is if one of those dates doesn't work for Teemu, we start a slow draft (for rookies) and use the other date for the auction FA draft, and just hope we can burn through the slow draft uh, quickly... and if we get to the 30th and the slow draft isn't done yet, we can finish it live by just getting everyone online and blowing through it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I can do the 16th I guess as long as I can draft via mobile. I play kickball on thursday nights because I'm a turbonerd and I have a game at 9:15 so like i would need to be done by like 9 ET

e:

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe what we can do is if one of those dates doesn't work for Teemu, we start a slow draft (for rookies) and use the other date for the auction FA draft, and just hope we can burn through the slow draft uh, quickly... and if we get to the 30th and the slow draft isn't done yet, we can finish it live by just getting everyone online and blowing through it.

I don't think this is a terrible idea unless anyone is completey opposed to a slow draft. I prefer live but it's absolutely not a dealbreaker for me, whatever gets us moving along. The only problem i have with a slow rookie draft is how roles of players may change mid draft and someone could get a nice steal should their pick time line up with news updates. Then I guess if we have to we could do FA first but.. how do you do a slow auction draft? I'm sure there are ways but the few I can fathom seem extremely tedious and complicated

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 1, 2018

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Flipside is that FA would also be faster - could complete it in under an hour IMO - in the 16th?

MFL does support email auctions. You essentially set it for the timer to reset anytime there's a new high bidder, and then allow a few auctions at a time and let it go. With proxy bids sometimes there isn't a ton of sniping.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I think we could manage to finish a slow draft by the 16th if we start tonight or tomorrow. I did a slow 3 round rookie draft in another dynasty league back in June and it took 14 days even with somebody taking four days to make one pick.

MFL does allow for text alerts when it's your pick if you enable it:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I can do the 16th I guess as long as I can draft via mobile. I play kickball on thursday nights because I'm a turbonerd and I have a game at 9:15 so like i would need to be done by like 9 ET

9 ET is 6pm Pacific. I don't even get off work till like 5:30ish. A live draft in 30 minutes isn't really possible.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
I will break that vote tie and throw my lot in for rookie draft first. Gave it some more thought and think rookies first is better.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
K, so we need to do a slow rookie draft first. Fix your cap issues everyone.

FA agent draft live on August 30th at 8:30pm-ish EST?

We can kick off the rookie draft any drat time, it's going to be straightforward and if people set their draft lists it'll be done in like 2 weeks.

12hr timer, pause from 10pm EST till 6am EST. That work? If you don't respond at the end of 12hrs we give you a kicker.

Set your draft list and you wont ever have to log in, it'll just automatically pick for you.

Doing it slow means we can move people to taxi squads easily too. No real need for us to create 4 extra bench slots.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
And we've got to allow drops during both of these drafts, not as big of a deal during rookie drafts but it's a slow draft so who cares. You'll be able to buy the FA who gets dropped on the 30th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

K, so we need to do a slow rookie draft first. Fix your cap issues everyone.

FA agent draft live on August 30th at 8:30pm-ish EST?

We can kick off the rookie draft any drat time, it's going to be straightforward and if people set their draft lists it'll be done in like 2 weeks.

12hr timer, pause from 10pm EST till 6am EST. That work? If you don't respond at the end of 12hrs we give you a kicker.

Set your draft list and you wont ever have to log in, it'll just automatically pick for you.

Doing it slow means we can move people to taxi squads easily too. No real need for us to create 4 extra bench slots.

Even if we kick the draft off on Tuesday (7th) it should be completed by the 16th so we could probably do the FA draft on that date still