Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tin Tim posted:

Well you could also just dig down a bit to connect the cave below, seal it up at the bottom, and then dump like 200 buckets of water into pool which should be enough with the already present water. This way you can also build a quick and easy safe spot to fish from at the top

There's lots of ways to make your own lakes but the "300 buckets of water" method worked for me so far. And I think you need 80 blocks for a biome? I think there is some setup where you can just use the clentaminator on a box of dirt blocks above your lake to access several biomes from one spot

This is exactly what I did and got my fish!! There was only one small lake above it and it would have taken longer to properly guide the water down than it did to make a bunch of buckets and then just throw them in.

Thanks everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
This is not going to be a popular opinion, but one of the reasons that I don't like playing with a "small" map size (PC version) is that I've found that one far too often ends up with certain biomes either totally missing or barely there. I haven't tested this scientifically and it's just an observation, but that's why I generally choose a medium world.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

Also can somebody explain why the horseman's blade is regarded so highly? I get that the pumpkins it spawns home and do decent damage but I always get hit too much when I try to use it because the pumpkin spawns are rather slow

Holdovers from a several years ago when it was endgame content. Not much reason to use it over the influx waver or terra blade imo. It does spawn a ton of projectiles against worms, though.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 27, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tin Tim posted:

Also can somebody explain why the horseman's blade is regarded so highly? I get that the pumpkins it spawns home and do decent damage but I always get hit too much when I try to use it because the pumpkin spawns are rather slow

My understanding is people use it to cheese enemies/bosses by setting up an enemy spawner they can smack a lot, and use the mass-spawning pumpkins to easily home in and pile on damage to other mobs. Not sure if that still works, but yeah -- pretty much just hyper-exploiting a weapon effect to sorta-cheat.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I don't give a gently caress, I don't want an endless map but I want titans, I want a goddamn 16,000x12,000 map or whatever the max is that TerraCustom let's you push the sliders to, but it always crashes before it fully gens :/

I just want one of those with my special mods, so I get to explore a single megamap slowly and meticulously, each new biome a whole world and barrier to get through

I'd also love a solid mod that does nothing but add new biomes and sub-biomes

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Man this is why I really wish Terraria had official mod support. I'd jump ship from Starbound mods in a loving heartbeat if I didn't have to rely on third-party bullshit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I Said No posted:

Man this is why I really wish Terraria had official mod support. I'd jump ship from Starbound mods in a loving heartbeat if I didn't have to rely on third-party bullshit.
At least the current setup beats how it used to be. I remember installing Red Cloud being a pain back before tModLoader existed.

I forget, has it been confirmed that Terraria 2 is in development?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I just got the fishron wings+flail.....ayy lmao

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zereth posted:

iirc it's been either iced or cancelled because the company it was outsourced to grievously mishandled it

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
No, that was Terraria Otherworld, which I'm pretty sure was not Terraria 2 but rather a spin off.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lorini posted:

This is exactly what I did and got my fish!! There was only one small lake above it and it would have taken longer to properly guide the water down than it did to make a bunch of buckets and then just throw them in.

Thanks everyone!

For the next time, all you need is one bucket of water and a platform 4 blocks wide and one block up at the end, like an L lying down. You can constantly dump the water and pick it up in one motion before all of it runs off the end of the platform, effectively generating infinite water. Sadly doesn't work with slow moving fluids like honey.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zereth posted:

I haven't heard any announcement that Terraria 2 had moved past the "planning" stage. Terraria Otherworld has been axed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

For the next time, all you need is one bucket of water and a platform 4 blocks wide and one block up at the end, like an L lying down. You can constantly dump the water and pick it up in one motion before all of it runs off the end of the platform, effectively generating infinite water. Sadly doesn't work with slow moving fluids like honey.
I generally just rig up an inlet and outlet pump and hook them up to a timer and set them going. It still generates slightly more output than input. Bring enough of the liquid you want in buckets to get it started and then go do something else. It even works with lava and honey, although slower. I generally have the output pour over a few blocks to split up the flow but I don't remember if that still actually helps or not.

Cat Mattress posted:

I haven't heard any announcement that Terraria 2 had moved past the "planning" stage. Terraria Otherworld has been axed.
Yeah, I knew Otherworld got axed. Well, we'll see if Terraria 2 ever materializes, I guess.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Terraria 1.4 is coming before that and it's probably not happening next year given the pace of updates.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

This is not going to be a popular opinion, but one of the reasons that I don't like playing with a "small" map size (PC version) is that I've found that one far too often ends up with certain biomes either totally missing or barely there. I haven't tested this scientifically and it's just an observation, but that's why I generally choose a medium world.

There's nothing wrong with feeling that way. A common suggestion people give in these threads is to make small worlds to get more materials and then just delete them afterwards.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Zereth posted:

At least the current setup beats how it used to be. I remember installing Red Cloud being a pain back before tModLoader existed.

Red Cloud was amazing and I wish it was updated to current Terraria.

That being said, Calamity and Thorium together adds a ton of stuff to explore to scratch that itch.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

JustJeff88 posted:

Pretty sure that biome size scales to world size. I've done some extensive testing of this with the world gen preview mod and it basically comes down to world gen RNG. That mod is required if you don't want unpleasant surprises while playing. For my last large world playthrough, I rolled at least 20 worlds before I got a good one.

And for those of you worried about 'being spoiled', trust me, a few dozen hours in and you'll have forgotten what the preview showed.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Heh decided to take a look in here since ive been streaming some terraria with mods lately, and was suprised to see and old tutorial video of mine in the OP. I forgot i even made that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kalas posted:

That being said, Calamity and Thorium together adds a ton of stuff to explore to scratch that itch.
I played Red Cloud when it was on the honor system for a lot of stuff, so I was stealing chests left and right and shoving all my souls in the piggy bank so I didn't lose poo poo when I died and getting out into an area you weren't supposed to get to until after starting hard mode because there was a hole in the roof somewhere and you had enough mobility tools you could get up through it to loot gear.

It was great.

Ambaire posted:

Pretty sure that biome size scales to world size. I've done some extensive testing of this with the world gen preview mod and it basically comes down to world gen RNG. That mod is required if you don't want unpleasant surprises while playing. For my last large world playthrough, I rolled at least 20 worlds before I got a good one.

And for those of you worried about 'being spoiled', trust me, a few dozen hours in and you'll have forgotten what the preview showed.
Small maps can occasionally have things like the Corruption/Crimson almost completely overwriting the surface jungle or that sort of poo poo, though. World sizes were determined when there were only Forest, Jungle, Corruption, Occasionally Some Sand, and Ocean biomes and several more have been crammed in since. This is another reason I'm looking forward to Terraria 2, it'd be a good opportunity to overhaul world generation to deal with this sort of thing.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Kalas posted:

There IS a thread on the official forums asking for people to help update it to current, you know! The ability to step up one block necessitates a lot of changes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zereth posted:

Small maps can occasionally have things like the Corruption/Crimson almost completely overwriting the surface jungle or that sort of poo poo, though. World sizes were determined when there were only Forest, Jungle, Corruption, Occasionally Some Sand, and Ocean biomes and several more have been crammed in since. This is another reason I'm looking forward to Terraria 2, it'd be a good opportunity to overhaul world generation to deal with this sort of thing.
What's weird is I've played large worlds that have this same problem, and others you often see in small worlds (like not enough standard forest biome space). I would've expected that would be enough to balance it out but sometimes the spacing is just stupid.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zereth posted:

Small maps can occasionally have things like the Corruption/Crimson almost completely overwriting the surface jungle or that sort of poo poo, though.

Vib Rib posted:

What's weird is I've played large worlds that have this same problem, and others you often see in small worlds (like not enough standard forest biome space). I would've expected that would be enough to balance it out but sometimes the spacing is just stupid.

Ambaire posted:

it basically comes down to world gen RNG.

This. Get world gen preview mod and just start generating test worlds. It can generate good worlds but it also can generate hosed up worlds. Hence the need to do a bunch in a row. I agree that part of the problem could be solved if the worlds were 50% wider and the biomes were the same width.

Also, when you're repeatedly generating and deleting worlds to get a good one, alternate names. If you're repeatedly creating and deleting a world with the same name, stuff can get hosed up unless you relaunch the client between attempts.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Terracustom is an amazing tool for creating the perfect world to play in. Look it up.

I like making a world with both crimson and corruption, guaranteed piramid, and large width with medium hight. Works with mods too.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I wanted to try to make a custom map/mod where the game starts in the underworld and you can't build until you reach the surface.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

I wanted to try to make a custom map/mod where the game starts in the underworld and you can't build until you reach the surface.

One of the old Roguelikes, Moria had an offshot variation. I think that one was T.O.M.E., before it split off to be something standalone and bad. You'd start as a lost soul in the bottom of the 100 level dungeon and had to get out. Usually your lifespan was measured in a few turns. You could move through walls, but so could a lot of other stuff. You'd want to find something harmless that was worth a lot of XP and run like a little girl at the sight of anything even remotely dangerous.

I'd imagine the same would apply in Terraria, you just don't have the HPs to survive anything, the first Imp that spawned would be your nemesis.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Hey I am getting an itch to play terraria again, and I have a couple of questions.

1.) Any big updates soon?
2.) Is there a mod out there that adjusts the world generator to create extra lard worlds and can generate natural biomes of both corruption and crimson in the same area?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Waffleopolis posted:

Hey I am getting an itch to play terraria again, and I have a couple of questions.

2.) Is there a mod out there that adjusts the world generator to create extra lard worlds and can generate natural biomes of both corruption and crimson in the same area?

1. SoonTM
2. TerraCustom was mentioned like 4 posts ago :cmon:

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Waffleopolis posted:

Needs more lard biome.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Realistically I wouldn't expect 1.3.6 this year since the Switch version still isn't out. The plan is to have a single unified game across current platforms once that happens.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 30, 2018

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dootman posted:

Needs more lard biome.
Now I want a Meat Biome.

Not, like, the Crimson, just Straight Up Meat. I know you can use the Meat Grinder to turn crimstone into Meat furniture but I want a naturally-occurring Meat biome.

Pecked To Death
Jun 27, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Zereth posted:

Now I want a Meat Biome.

Not, like, the Crimson, just Straight Up Meat. I know you can use the Meat Grinder to turn crimstone into Meat furniture but I want a naturally-occurring Meat biome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'm just gonna leave this here

Working titles include

2 mouths 1 burg

I have a mouth but can't burg

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Any mod that will give Planetera like 1 hit point? I've died three times now and am getting tired of having to find another Plantera.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

It helps a whole lot if you build an arena in the underground jungle and either lure plantera there or wait until a bulb spawns close to it. Then it shouldn't be that hard to kill it with the megashark while you dodge around. If you have crimson you can also make the golden shower to reduce its defense a bit. The dart rifle with crystal darts is also good because the darts bounce around your arena and deal with the tentacles in the second phase. But yeah a megashark alone should handle it in a decent arena

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
If the arena is too small the spike ball will get you

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Lorini posted:

Any mod that will give Planetera like 1 hit point? I've died three times now and am getting tired of having to find another Plantera.

Something to try, knock out the background walls. Plantera needs them to hook in for it's mobility. You can actually carve out large areas it can't move around in as well.

Dynamite works wonders to both clear walls and carve out a big arena.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

If the arena is too small the spike ball will get you

Yeah that's what happened I think. I made this arena like I saw in a YouTube video but clearly that guy was more skilled than I. Next time I'm going to make one big round arena with no exits and I think that'll work. I can knock out walls with a hammer right?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Plantera is one of the easiest bosses in the game with a bit of setup: Two teleporters, a long thin(charactersized) corridor about one and a half screens wide and some cable. A timer to automatically fire the teleporter every second if you're feeling fancy. Fire away with ranged weapon of choice while teleporting from one side to the other.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
A massive (1.5 screen sizes?) arena with platforms helped me beat Plantera's thorny rear end

Wings helped a lot for that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008

Lorini posted:

The Cheat Sheet mod has a butcher button that kills all mobs present in the world.