Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

Can you not just use the quick menu to select and summon it on a planet? It should work for any ship you've claimed.

Oh, that works? Totally forgot about that, I have to try that later.

froody guy posted:

(Un)bork all the things.

No need to tell us how you totally didn't fill your freighter's cargo with platinum.

Nope. Just some stuff like my blueprint analyzer, some relics and other random stuff. Annoying to replace. What really hurt was losing that ship just after I installed several upgrades to hyperdrive, shields and a rocket launcher. :shepface:

Of course in the meantime, I went to a space station, got gripped by gold fever after I noticed I can combine stuff worth 600k to get stuff worth 2 million (that factory I talked about earlier got me the crafting receipt for cryo pumps). And since getting the right materials involved running around the station a lot talking to Gek traders, I got incredibly lucky and just as I hit the 11 million mark, some really sweet looking exotic ship showed up. It cost about 10 million, so I traded in that broken hauler I had accidentally switched to, reducing the cost to about 8 million and presto: Sweet looking new ride, and still a couple million to spare.

Now if it turns out I can call my old ship back, I'll just take out what I want and send it right back to space storage!

(Also since I have to stop now and go to sleep for work tomorrow, screenshots have to wait for now, but trust me, this white-golden marvel is worth it, even if it just has one slot more than the lovely shuttle I lost access to when trading up to the broken super-hauler. :v: )

Libluini fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

My fleet. Once they get all the fleet stuff working without bugs, it'll be one of the best bits of the game. Right now though I take a backup before starting the game and try not to play too long per session. Less to lose that way.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Azhais posted:

Your bases probably won't exist in a MP game unless you're the host, and I've heard that unless you're the host your base will go away after you leave the MP session.

Pretty sure you can teleport anywhere tho

I think if you upload your base it stays around during MP. I made a base near a friend's base while playing together. My base was there when I loaded up solo. So was his, that was a while ago, not sure if it is still there though?

Also, I wasn't able to use the portal my friend had at his base, but once I created a portal I could warp back. You can also warp to stations you have visited. So if you load into a friends game, visit the local station and you will always be able to warp back and forth to his system and wherever you built a base.

If you build a portal at your base, then move on, you can always make a new portal and base at the new location and move, or have multiple bases. This update really made base building tie you down to one system even less.

The main reason to build a base though is to do all of the quests and unlock the rovers which you can build on any planet without needing a base after they are unlocked. After that you can take your base apart and be a freighter based nomad which is what I plan to do.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

I legit laughed out loud. Thanks.

SubNat posted:

It is baffling that they limit the save game size to ~8MB.
I'm curious how much that'll actually amount to, when it comes to for example changing the terrain around your base. I did see someone earlier in the thread get their mushroom farm covered back up by terrain, after they spent some time flattening terrain.

Maybe it's a holdover from before bases were a thing, and they're still insanely stringent with what they actually bother saving.

Unrelatedly, if anyone is on PC and has a decent GPU, turning on tessellation gives the terrain a nice little quality push.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-no-mans-sky-on-pc-has-brilliant-visuals-but-big-performance-issues
Just launch the comparison tool to see the visual difference. Small, but nice.

( Just go into the game's folder in AppData, and flip the Tessellation setting from false to true in a text editor. It'll add a low/med/high/ultra quality setting for terrain in the game's menu.)

It's a nice little thing, taking the ground from completely flat.

It's so strange that Hello Games advertised it as a feature for this patch, added it, added a setting for it, but didn't actually let people turn it on from the game's settings.

That article is pretty interesting. Their optimal settings for the 1070 are completely different from mine. I definitely noticed the weird stuttering with Vsync on that they mention early on. I need to get in there are change stuff to see if it is smoother.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

haveblue posted:

Try uninstalling any non-base hyperdrives in the ship, some people upthread said that unblocked them.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give this a shot after work. If this is a no go I guess I'll just restart, 3 of the 4 planets in my home system are actively trying to kill me anyway.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

By the way, you can prevent your mining laser from overheating if you stop using it right as the bar is about to reach the end and immediately firing it back up. Old tip but still in the game and maybe someone doesn't know about it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Polo gave me the lancer thing for my gun. Is it good? I was wondering if perhaps it would work to use the lancer for armor, and then I would be able to use an S tier boltcaster to finish? Or is the lance not really better than a boltcaster?

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Libluini posted:

Oh, that works? Totally forgot about that, I have to try that later.

Nope. Just some stuff like my blueprint analyzer, some relics and other random stuff. Annoying to replace. What really hurt was losing that ship just after I installed several upgrades to hyperdrive, shields and a rocket launcher. :shepface:

Of course in the meantime, I went to a space station, got gripped by gold fever after I noticed I can combine stuff worth 600k to get stuff worth 2 million (that factory I talked about earlier got me the crafting receipt for cryo pumps). And since getting the right materials involved running around the station a lot talking to Gek traders, I got incredibly lucky and just as I hit the 11 million mark, some really sweet looking exotic ship showed up. It cost about 10 million, so I traded in that broken hauler I had accidentally switched to, reducing the cost to about 8 million and presto: Sweet looking new ride, and still a couple million to spare.

Now if it turns out I can call my old ship back, I'll just take out what I want and send it right back to space storage!

(Also since I have to stop now and go to sleep for work tomorrow, screenshots have to wait for now, but trust me, this white-golden marvel is worth it, even if it just has one slot more than the lovely shuttle I lost access to when trading up to the broken super-hauler. :v: )

I made a post a few pages back about the Cryo-Pump thing. You are on your way to easy space riches. Talk to all of the ships that land at the station, you will easily find the Hot Ice and Thermic Condensate you need to make Cryo-Pumps.

They have slightly fixed this and the sell price will drop a bit after 50+ pumps. Luckily that is only per station so you can warp and do it again for more profits. Should make you 50-100mil in 20 minutes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Stare-Out posted:

By the way, you can prevent your mining laser from overheating if you stop using it right as the bar is about to reach the end and immediately firing it back up. Old tip but still in the game and maybe someone doesn't know about it.

Slap 3 S-tier mining upgrades in there and you can hold down that button for about a minute straight. One cycling metal fingers for about 5% of mining power now :toot:

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

crazystray posted:

I made a post a few pages back about the Cryo-Pump thing. You are on your way to easy space riches. Talk to all of the ships that land at the station, you will easily find the Hot Ice and Thermic Condensate you need to make Cryo-Pumps.

They have slightly fixed this and the sell price will drop a bit after 50+ pumps. Luckily that is only per station so you can warp and do it again for more profits. Should make you 50-100mil in 20 minutes.

So you can confirm they didn't change the profit margins, just how quickly the market saturates?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Also, has anyone out there figured out what exactly the adjacency bonus is for modules? Or is it actually just a mystery. I'd be surprised if someone out there hadn't done a crazy effort experiment by now.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Powershift posted:

:siren: :siren: CHECK THE SIZE OF YOUR SAVE FILE :siren: :siren:

It's located at C\users\<yourname>\appdata\roaming\hellogames\nms

It should only be about 1-2mb

If it's close to 8, panic. onces it gets to 8 mb you will start losing poo poo, and the save will eventually damage itself. To fix it you need to download the NMS save editor and delete all the dupilicated seeds after ExpeditionSeedsSelectedToday

while you're there, make a backup, just in case.

If you don't see the appdata folder it's hidden btw so just turn on view hidden files.

If the save is still only ~1 mb after sending out a handful of expeditions does that just mean I'm lucky and don't have that bug, or is it that each expedition you send has the chance of causing the issue?

So far only main bug I've encountered is the "base computer waypoint stuck on freighter" but that one can be fixed with basically a single reload so while it's annoying its not like a catastrophic issue.

e: oh I just recalled another annoying one. The free tech I got from the space anomaly quest disappears in between sessions. It's not a huge deal cause the tech is only okay and the tech I craft/find myself hasn't had this issue, but it is consistent.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

umbrage posted:

So you can confirm they didn't change the profit margins, just how quickly the market saturates?

Yup. Just tried it at two different stations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I accidentally lost all the poo poo on my freighter when i traded it for a new one but IDGAF because the new one is gently caress-off huge.

vs

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ArbitraryC posted:

If you don't see the appdata folder it's hidden btw so just turn on view hidden files.

You can just put "%appdata%" in your file browser url and it'll take you straight there too

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game is one hell of a background generator

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stare-Out posted:

Also once you start getting mining modules the overheat period gets more and more lenient. I’m up to 2 s-rank modules and I can mine pure ferrite rocks in one continuous beam even though the last 25% of it is with my temperature maxed out.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Guys is this a bug i have or by design: tech merchant inventories are the same everywhere i go. There are no new items popping up. I cannot find cold weather upgrades or anything else. This cant be right.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m currently in a planet where the storms cancel out the native hostile environment so it’s completely safe to be outside while there’s a storm.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Burns posted:

Guys is this a bug i have or by design: tech merchant inventories are the same everywhere i go. There are no new items popping up. I cannot find cold weather upgrades or anything else. This cant be right.

What they sell is absolutely dependent on what you have. There is only 1 of each of some of the upgrades. some of the higher end stuff doesn't pop up until you have one or two of the other s-class mods of other types, or lower rank mods of the one you're looking for. it's all pretty confusing right now.

Later i'm going to try getting 3 S-class phase beam mods by warping in with ships that don't have them yet and then installing it on my big 48x8

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Burns posted:

Try buying a hot weather mod and installing it. Sometimes they're not labeled correctly and it's actually a cold weather one.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

victrix posted:

This game is one hell of a background generator

Perfect description.

No Man's Sky NEXT: one hell of a background generator

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

ToastyPotato posted:

Also, has anyone out there figured out what exactly the adjacency bonus is for modules? Or is it actually just a mystery. I'd be surprised if someone out there hadn't done a crazy effort experiment by now.

I linked this before, this is a pretty optimal build.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/92bpi3/psa_how_to_optimize_your_upgrade_modules_in_next/

The things to remember is that upgrades that link to the thing they're upgrading provide a bonus. There's also a slight further bonus if they're touching more than one of their type.

Powershift posted:

I accidentally lost all the poo poo on my freighter when i traded it for a new one but IDGAF because the new one is gently caress-off huge.

vs

Yeah, you have to remember to click on the items in the old ship to move over. But dang, that is nice. Now that I just found an 18.3 million unit relic maybe I can afford one of those, ha.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
I want to like this game but I'm getting tired of the unending grind of simply using your resources.

I got a Frigate, fueled a ship, sent it on a mission. It came back with damage, which I now also have to worry about fixing. I went in to fix and only had half of what I needed to, because the other bits were in storage.

What I don't get is that you seemingly need access to all inventory in the game, but the game is built specifically around limiting inventory space. Don't have that 5 of Platinum on hand right now? Well, you have take the time to go back to wherever you were storing it to get it. I feel like most of my time is spent going from point A to B just moving poo poo around. It's constant chores.

Am I missing something very basic here with how this is supposed to work? It's just like this game is constantly penalizing you for not having the thing on hand that you didn't think you'd need.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Zaa Boogie posted:

I linked this before, this is a pretty optimal build.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/92bpi3/psa_how_to_optimize_your_upgrade_modules_in_next/

The things to remember is that upgrades that link to the thing they're upgrading provide a bonus. There's also a slight further bonus if they're touching more than one of their type.

Yeah I saw that and bookmarked it. But it doesn't go into any detail on what the bonuses are, just that this is the optimal way to do it. Like, what are the number difference between adjacent mods and non adjacent mods. Knowing can really make a difference when you are earlier in the game and can't do the optimal layout because you don't have the slots for it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I saw that and bookmarked it. But it doesn't go into any detail on what the bonuses are, just that this is the optimal way to do it. Like, what are the number difference between adjacent mods and non adjacent mods. Knowing can really make a difference when you are earlier in the game and can't do the optimal layout because you don't have the slots for it.

Knowing that would definitely help figuring out whether it's worth it to nuke a bunch of existing mods to reposition them. I just got a new bigass multitool that's in good order and I'm holding off installing anything else in my ship till I can find a nice one, but my exosuit is a hot mess.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

GeorgieMordor posted:

I want to like this game but I'm getting tired of the unending grind of simply using your resources.

I got a Frigate, fueled a ship, sent it on a mission. It came back with damage, which I now also have to worry about fixing. I went in to fix and only had half of what I needed to, because the other bits were in storage.

What I don't get is that you seemingly need access to all inventory in the game, but the game is built specifically around limiting inventory space. Don't have that 5 of Platinum on hand right now? Well, you have take the time to go back to wherever you were storing it to get it. I feel like most of my time is spent going from point A to B just moving poo poo around. It's constant chores.

Am I missing something very basic here with how this is supposed to work? It's just like this game is constantly penalizing you for not having the thing on hand that you didn't think you'd need.

It get's better. Most of the grind is really during the tutorial missions, which can take a while. You'll get bigger inventories, more storage from rovers, base storage units, etc... and eventually have plenty of the common resources stored. Additionally you can get medium and large refineries which are more efficient and farms that can make more of the things you need passively. After not too long, you don't really have to worry about grinding for resources anymore. You can also just buy lots of common resources to avoid having to grind or farm for them. It does start out pretty grindy. Finding a good way to make money helps. I gathered/bought the resources to make a whole bunch of hyperdrive fuel then just hopped around scanning things with the S-Class upgrades and that went a long way to avoiding the grind.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

crazystray posted:

Yup. Just tried it at two different stations.

Are you going to any particular type of system economy. I just lucked into the recipe but no one in the station is selling either part.

EDIT: checked online. PC has already patched this out by removing those components from NPCS. Can’t be having that much fun, I guess. :rip:

I guess I’m back to ancient ruin and crashed freighter hunting for money.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 31, 2018

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

crazystray posted:

It get's better. Most of the grind is really during the tutorial missions, which can take a while. You'll get bigger inventories, more storage from rovers, base storage units, etc... and eventually have plenty of the common resources stored. Additionally you can get medium and large refineries which are more efficient and farms that can make more of the things you need passively. After not too long, you don't really have to worry about grinding for resources anymore. You can also just buy lots of common resources to avoid having to grind or farm for them. It does start out pretty grindy. Finding a good way to make money helps. I gathered/bought the resources to make a whole bunch of hyperdrive fuel then just hopped around scanning things with the S-Class upgrades and that went a long way to avoiding the grind.

Oh. See, this is what I'm talking about. That sounds great. I want to do all of those things.

I selected to not do any more tutorial missions when it asks you. Was that a mistake big enough to merit starting over?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

The only thing I've found was this. And it only applies to 1.38 so far.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/6z25zn/toolsheet_synergyadjacent_bonus_calculator/

Only thing to remember is that unlike before, if you want to have all S rank upgrades you can only have a max of 3 for an upgrade type.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are you going to any particular type of system economy. I just lucked into the recipe but no one in the station is selling either part.

EDIT: checked online. PC has already patched this out by removing those components from NPCS. Can’t be having that much fun, I guess. :rip:

Ah, that sucks. I am on PS4, I guess it hasn't been fixed there yet.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

GeorgieMordor posted:

Oh. See, this is what I'm talking about. That sounds great. I want to do all of those things.

I selected to not do any more tutorial missions when it asks you. Was that a mistake big enough to merit starting over?

I am not sure if there is a way to re-start them? If it's your first time playing those missions might help. I forget where they leave you off when you select not to do more.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

lol they rushed to fix something that made the game slightly easier for some people when an entire segment of the game is fundamentally broken and not addressed. (Yeah they supposedly fixed the save game issue, but that is one known bug with Freighters/Frigates out of many, MANY bugs.)

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Is there a way to find crashed freighters easily? I found one by accident but haven't seen any since.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I bought NMS on Saturday, really enjoying it so far. Trying to avoid reading guides and just exploring at my own pace.

I came across a freighter under attack, so I saved it. The captain just handed over the dang thing to me for free. Is that normal? I feel like I should have had to build up to this, I haven’t really upgraded any of my equipment or anything otherwise haha.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

Is there a way to find crashed freighters easily? I found one by accident but haven't seen any since.

Yeah, get navigation data and use them on your signal booster to find distress beacons. Crashed freighters are one of the things you find from it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah, I'm not surprised. Doing that seemed *too* easy. Anyway, I doubt it'll be long before efficient money makers are found besides ruin digging.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I bought NMS on Saturday, really enjoying it so far. Trying to avoid reading guides and just exploring at my own pace.

I came across a freighter under attack, so I saved it. The captain just handed over the dang thing to me for free. Is that normal? I feel like I should have had to build up to this, I haven’t really upgraded any of my equipment or anything otherwise haha.

Nope, that is a new thing in NEXT.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Big McHuge posted:

You can use the signal booster thing that you can build to search for distress beacons. This doesn't guarantee a crashed freighter, but it is one of only a few possibilities. Be sure to look on every table in space stations and buildings for interactive objects. They give nav data that you can use for your signal booster to find distress signals and ruins.

Also, there are planets that have these weird objects in the wild that are just clusters of lootable nav data and drop pod data, the latter of which you feed to the booster to locate drop pods for suit upgrades.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That explains a lot. i re-named systems based on where i can buy stuff and haven't seen it, i figured it was because i had to fix my game save.

Back to mushroom farming, i guess, at least i'm sitting on 200 mil

e: can you visit friend's bases when they're not online? I could be giving people access to the mushroom and cactus farms. they're spitting out 40 mil an hour at this point and i'm usually off exploring while they're sitting there unpicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I found a ship that is literally a couple of storage units bolted onto a rocket:

also an EVIL squirrel? (Thing wouldn't sit still for a pic :( )