Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Just remind that dude if he's only a mountain of HP and damage reduction but negligible damage that enemies can safely ignore him to focus on other targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

kaffo posted:

Thanks for the advice! Appreciate it
To clear it up, the barb is heavy specing into damage reduction and stacking health, I'm guessing he's missed out some of the key damage dealing abilities in favour of other stuff

This always makes me so sad. People see that bear totem ability, or even just the rage's damage reduction, and their mindset becomes making an hp sponge that hits things sometimes. I prefer my barbarians along the veins of I hit things a lot and just as a side note I'm decently okay at not getting killed.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Splicer posted:

Pick a scenario, then read through the wild magic table thinking of how each would effect the scenario and the other players and the other players' sense of agency. Put a checkmark down for each under the categories "funny" "funny the first time" "annoying" and "why haven't we killed him yet".

Repeat for several sessions worth of scenarios. The results may surprise you!

This plus the fact that you’re capped to how many spells you know vs the wizard unlimited tome space has made me seriously reconsider making a sorcerer.

The preparing your spells limitation still feels less restrictive than sorcerer as a whole.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

xilni posted:

This plus the fact that you’re capped to how many spells you know vs the wizard unlimited tome space has made me seriously reconsider making a sorcerer.

The preparing your spells limitation still feels less restrictive than sorcerer as a whole.

Prepared slots is level+INT, so your average wizard has more spells prepared at any one time than a sorcerer has spells known total, on top of all the rituals they don't even need to prepare.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Sorceror is a power drill

Wizard is a tool shed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

xilni posted:

The Sorcerer's basic concept was crippled from the moment it was printed in the 3e PHB because the Wizard's spell-acquisition became so relaxed from AD&D that the Sorc's "learn any spell you want, but you can't learn everything" advantage was immediately watered-down.

And then 5e also removes the Sorc's spontaneous casting advantage because Wizards no longer have to arm specific spells to specific slots, and it's just sad.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Fureil posted:

This always makes me so sad. People see that bear totem ability, or even just the rage's damage reduction, and their mindset becomes making an hp sponge that hits things sometimes. I prefer my barbarians along the veins of I hit things a lot and just as a side note I'm decently okay at not getting killed.
Noted, I'll let him know

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sorcerer's two big tricks are doubling the effectiveness of key buffs or debuffs with Twinned spell, and in a pinch the action economy advantage of Quickened spell. They're also a little tougher than Bards/Wizards and have a stronger basic attack action (that can further synergize with both Twinned and Quickened), but in all other aspects they're just worse casters, and the system mastery required to make the most out of their advantages makes them very unforgiving for newbies.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

Prepared slots is level+INT, so your average wizard has more spells prepared at any one time than a sorcerer has spells known total, on top of all the rituals they don't even need to prepare.

This is what gets me. I always felt the trade off was you had to properly prepare your arsenal in between long rests but now you have enough prepared spells that it becomes trivial to bring a large arsenal plus utility to each situation.

Unless you get really lucky as a sorcerer and keep being able to regenerate your spell slots.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Sorcerer's two big tricks are doubling the effectiveness of key buffs or debuffs with Twinned spell, and in a pinch the action economy advantage of Quickened spell. They're also a little tougher than Bards/Wizards and have a stronger basic attack action (that can further synergize with both Twinned and Quickened), but in all other aspects they're just worse casters, and the system mastery required to make the most out of their advantages makes them very unforgiving for newbies.

Bards are significantly tougher than Sorcerers.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Reik posted:

Bards are significantly tougher than Sorcerers.

Constitution save proficiency, access to Shield spell, and in the case of Draconic, effective d8 hit die plus built in Mage Armor so they don't have to bother with that either.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

kaffo posted:

Noted, I'll let him know

I'm all for playing a bear totem if that's what he wants to play, people just seem to forget that your job isn't soley to stand there and get hit. If you're not a threat than any intelligent enemies will see you as just something to walk around to get the squishies behind you. You only get one reaction after all, and unless your playing with the mark alternate rule there is no reliable way as a barbarian to even get one guy to stay there fighting you. Sticking with phb stuff I'm more a fan of the wolf totem or berserker, but if Xanathars is on the table and you want to be a tank then Ancestral Guardian isn't aweful and I personally love Zealot for free extra damage each turn.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Bear Totem is fine as long as you realize that:

a) Unarmored Defense is a ribbon feature rather than something you build a character around. Barbarians need armor.
b) Reckless Attack + Rage bonus damage is how the Barbarian keeps up with the damage output of the other martial classes.
c) Rage's Damage Reduction is needed to mitigate the defensive penalty of the aforementioned Reckless Attack.

3rd level Bear is good because it lets you survive better, Wolf is good in a melee-heavy comp due to the offensive party support, Ancestral Guardian is decent defensive support, and Zealot is just good extra damage. But no matter what you pick, as has been mentioned, the Barbarian's primary job and most effective tool is to be able to deal damage so that it can't be merely sidelined by enemies.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Sharpshooter Wood Elf Rogue with Elven Accuracy - gets Hasted by a party member in order to reliably get two Sneak Attacks per turn by way of action economy shenanigans

How do you get two Sneak Attacks per turn?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

*round

Haste action to Attack, normal action to Ready so on a following turn you attack again as a Reaction. Judicious use of Familiars/Cunning Action Hide allows both to have advantage.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Constitution save proficiency, access to Shield spell, and in the case of Draconic, effective d8 hit die plus built in Mage Armor so they don't have to bother with that either.

College of Lore gets Cutting Words as a general Shield replacement, and College of Valor gets Medium Armor + Shields. Both get the d8 hit die, and they do get half proficiency on Constitution saving throws at least. You're probably picking up the Warcaster feat to help with Concentration checks as well.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Cutting Words isn't a Shield replacement, nor are you picking Valor if you want to play Bard as a proper spellcaster, and you can't use Jack of all Trades on concentration checks since they're Constitution Saving Throws rather than Ability Checks.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Fureil posted:

I'm all for playing a bear totem if that's what he wants to play, people just seem to forget that your job isn't soley to stand there and get hit. If you're not a threat than any intelligent enemies will see you as just something to walk around to get the squishies behind you. You only get one reaction after all, and unless your playing with the mark alternate rule there is no reliable way as a barbarian to even get one guy to stay there fighting you. Sticking with phb stuff I'm more a fan of the wolf totem or berserker, but if Xanathars is on the table and you want to be a tank then Ancestral Guardian isn't aweful and I personally love Zealot for free extra damage each turn.
Found out he's running Ancestral and not bear, so he's pretty happy running up to stuff and whacking it while "forcing" enemies to fight him else they get disadvantage :frog:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

If he's using a shield I recommend he picks up Polearm Master and a staff so his damage doesn't fall off too much, else bread-and-butter Greatsword Great Weapon Master Barbarian works.

But with two Bards you're gonna need some additional punch in there yeah.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Cutting Words isn't a Shield replacement, nor are you picking Valor if you want to play Bard as a proper spellcaster, and you can't use Jack of all Trades on concentration checks since they're Constitution Saving Throws rather than Ability Checks.

You're right on the saving throw thing, but how is Cutting Words not a Shield replacement? After they roll you subtract d6 from the attack roll, essentially adding d6 to your AC from the attack? Both Lore and Valor bards can also eventually pick up Shield if they want.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Reik posted:

You're right on the saving throw thing, but how is Cutting Words not a Shield replacement? After they roll you subtract d6 from the attack roll, essentially adding d6 to your AC from the attack? Both Lore and Valor bards can also eventually pick up Shield if they want.

Shield lasts an entire round. Cutting Words affects 1 roll.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

And it's good, but not *that good* that you'd pick it over a cross-class 3rd or 5th level spell.

Shield is basically a class feature of Sorcerers and Wizards (and Eldritch Knights).

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

Just keep in mind Wild Magic Sorcerer is a joke that's only funny if everyone is in on it.

13th Age has a feat that can be taken by everyone but the Chaos Mage (Wild Sorcerer equivalent) that lets them cancel out a Wild Magic effect if they get sick of it. I don't know if anyone actually uses it or if it's just a joke, though.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Conspiratiorist posted:

And it's good, but not *that good* that you'd pick it over a cross-class 3rd or 5th level spell.

Shield is basically a class feature of Sorcerers and Wizards (and Eldritch Knights).

Hexblades get shield, and if you MC w/ Paladin it becomes loving awesome. How about 27 AC for a round? And the paladin save bonus aura means spells which cause saves are not such an obvious way around that. It does have the side effect of causing enemies to just ignore him, but compel dual and abjure enemy lets him at least try to make the Big Bad stick to him. Combine that with warlock spell slot refresh and a pearl of power and when he's not smitin, he's shielding.

Man I love playing that character.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

I feel like maybe I should give it a second look on my War Wizard since I just dropped it from my Level 1 list.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Since I've seen it come up, it's arguable RAW whether the wizard gets to know whether Shield would block an attack that hits them without Shield, but there's a sage advice from Mearls saying that a wizard will know if Shield would save them.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Shield lasts an entire round. Cutting Words affects 1 roll.

You can also get a ton of them in a day when you hit level 5. Over the course of a day surviviability-wise I'd say they're pretty close.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can I just ask but I have only done 5e dnd thus far, what did 4e do better?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Can I just ask but I have only done 5e dnd thus far, what did 4e do better?

-Let people without spell slots affect the battlefield in a meaningful way.
-Managed hit points as a resource.
-You almost never ran in to multiple ability dependency issues.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Had the Warlord.
Was the most fun and useful the Fighter has ever been.
Almost every class (before essentials stuff and I guess like except the phb wizard) was reasonable well balanced and playable.

That being said 4e had some really prevalent math issues that granted are easy to patch by just like, doubling damage and halving hp on monsters, and giving everyone a flat +1 per tier. Also the feat bloat was arguably WORSE than 3 and definitely than 5.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Did feats still work the same way?

What made the wizard so good in the PHB?

And would that be like giving fighters the ability to do "get over here's" on particular enemies, that kind of thing?

What is a "multiple ability dependence issue" can I get an example?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Josef bugman posted:

Feats are better in 5e, ignoring the stupid "instead of an ASI" thing. 4E feats were weird and one if the big system mastery hurdles.

Josef bugman posted:

And would that be like giving fighters the ability to do "get over here's" on particular enemies, that kind of thing?
Why just one?

4e posted:

Come and Get It
Fighter Attack 7
Encounter ✦ martial, weapon

Standard Action

Close burst 3 (Splicer note: 5e equivalent would be a 15-20 foot radius AoE centred on the Fighter)

Target: Each enemy you can see in the burst

Attack: Strength vs. Will

Hit: You pull the target up to 2 squares to an adjacent square. If the target is adjacent to you after the pull, it takes 1[W] damage.
Note that due to the Fighter's innate marking mechanic all the targets would now be at a penalty to hit anyone not the fighter and the first to try or to try to walk away would eat an AoO.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Josef bugman posted:

What made the wizard so good in the PHB?

What is a "multiple ability dependence issue" can I get an example?

Feats worked the way they did in 3e which was that you got an allotment of them at specific levels and there were just a fuckmillion of them. In 5 you only get them at ASI levels and only if you give up the ASI, and there aren't nearly as many. There's still the problem where polearm master competes with linguist for a slot, but you don't have you scouring books to create a list of like 15 feats for your career from countless dozens.

Wizard wasn't good in the PHB. It was actually kinda bad. They assigned wizard the "controller" role but at that point had no idea what that meant so wizards just did a whole lot of unfocused nonsense that wasn't very effective. They got better with supplements.

Fighters actually did get to manipulate positioning and they were a constant threat because all "defender" type classes had some mechanic for "you get a penalty to hit if you're not attacking me and I punish you for it". Fighters punished by hitting dudes in the fuckin mouth and it was way better than just "do a lovely opportunity attack". They also did actual significant damage. (This sounds like the same as an AoO except they got to put riders and effects on those attacks and they actually hurt bad)

I can't think of anything off the top of my head but it's just like monk in 3e always used to need dex for AC, wisdom also for AC and other abilities, strength to do damage, con to have hp. They made it a tiny bit better in 5 because damage is now based on dex.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 30, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Splicer posted:

Note that due to the Fighter's innate marking mechanic all the targets would now be at a penalty to hit anyone not the fighter and the first to try or to try to walk away would eat an AoO.

Fun fact: fighter AoOs stopped enemy movement, had a bonus to attack, and occurred once per turn. There was no gentleman's agreement needed, the fighter could actively prevent enemies from reaching other PCs.

My favorite 4e thing was the unification of resource mechanics. 5e has the champion fighter (can swing all day!) competing with daily abilities (spellcaster ends a fight). It's horrific to balance.

4e, everyone had weaker at-will attacks (notice wizards got to keep this in 5e), stronger encounter abilities, and powerful daily abilities that could significantly change a fight. Easier to balance, since you compare daily attacks to daily attacks, and so on. Warlord daily attacks are amazing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay so at-will would be the equivalent of cantrips, right? Encounter ones were (as the name suggests) per encounter and the Dailies are the equivalent of things like turn undead.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You're not allowed to like 4e though because it's WoW for babies

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm thinking of trying out an EB-spam Warlock. What do I need to know?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

I'm thinking of trying out an EB-spam Warlock. What do I need to know?

It's pretty easy. Take Evocations that buff EB. Like the one that adds your charisma to damage.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Glagha posted:

You're not allowed to like 4e though because it's WoW for babies

One of my friends who I game with said it was a tad disconnected and a bit weird, but they had only played a bit of it so it might just be a bad DM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You also have to unfortunately take Hex as a spell tax but if you're just gonna spam EB you don't need those spell slots anyway. Just hex all day err day.