Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

JFC, that didn't help your kids ya'll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I just saw The King, which featured this quote from Mike Myers:

Mike Myers posted:

I never understood why people call Bruce Springsteen "The Boss". Don't we hate the boss?"

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Found this one out in the wild

quote:

Begin your day with an "I get to" mentality instead of a "I have to" thought process... I GET to go to work. I GET to have a busy day. Whatever it may be. We often dress our opportunities as stress, but they are in fact blessings.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

ferroque posted:

Found this one out in the wild

I "get to" live with crippling medical debt because my employer's insurance provider decided that my life saving surgery wasn't necessary.

This almost but didn't happen to me but has happened to multiple family members and friends.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I get to slowly cripple myself for barely over minimum wage to make a billionaire richer. Radical.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/LF0y9F0.gifv

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

You all should take a chance to go see "sorry to bother you" if you are reading itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enH3xA4mYcY

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

the woman represents the 1%

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvJNuwq5JUg&t=55s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE0GWHjFccQ

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Can’t wait for the intro scene of the last boyscout to become the norm as the NFL continues to ignore CTE and squeeze every drop of financial gain from its players

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLnoLmCqT30

George H.W. oval office posted:

Can’t wait for the intro scene of the last boyscout to become the norm as the NFL continues to ignore CTE and squeeze every drop of financial gain from its players

*knocks benefits out of your hand with a well-timed throw of the football*

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boots and the Coup are so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

You know if the players would just kill each other on the field we wouldn't have to clean up the mess later when they shoot themselves in the chest.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Siljmonster posted:

You know if the players would just kill each other on the field we wouldn't have to clean up the mess later when they shoot themselves in the chest.

Mutant league gonna be sick

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah the one time I actually tried to off myself I had a really loving horrifying experience in the state of Florida mental health system so I'm understandably... suspicious.

Anyway people in this thread: don't kill yourself please, at the very least if you think your life has no value to yourself do poo poo for other people. Seek professional help, it's available. gently caress off to the third world and build schools or something if you need meaning, you can always kill yourself later if it turns out you don't like it. If I had died back then I'd not be in the position I am now, helping others through their problems, providing emotional and financial support, gently caress i'm literally about to take in a homeless trans girl who was kicked out by her insane christian fundie parents and just kinda drifted for years.

One of the main reasons I managed to avoid suicide last summer was by reminding myself that I could always start a new life. Even if I just abandoned my life and started one of those mentally ill goon treks across the country, it was still better than being dead. I could kill myself anytime I wanted if poo poo really was still so bad no matter what I did. But at least I could try something different. I was abandoning my family if I died anyway, so why not just try a radical change if it came down to that?

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

But if you call and tell me that you are really really really thinking about killing yourself tonight, and you have a plan and everything, that doesn't mean I'm going to send the police. I will probably just try to talk you down, and if I cant do that, I'll make a deal with you where we will call you once every 1 or 2 hours to make sure you are doing okay until you've gotten through the worst of it. Because I completely understand that sending cops is a good way to keep you alive, but not a good way to keep you from feeling worse.

How many of your colleagues do the same thing? Is it a general policy? Or left to discretion? I tried contacting some lines last year, but finding any that could understand the fear as a trans person of being committed was really hard. And I was afraid to talk further because I didn't trust they'd understand how much worse being committed could make things for me. Nowadays I have a therapist and psychiatrist to advocate for me, so I wouldn't worry as much. But the idea as a non-binary person of being committed against my will, was more terrifying than dying at that point.

Skypie posted:

Man it cost $16,000 to bury my dad, and we picked basically middle of the road options the whole way.

We got my grandmother and dad cremated, and I don't think we paid the full (any?) of the bill for either. I honestly think that was the funeral home just eating the loss on purpose though. The funeral home director was also the coroner (I think? I'm fuzzy on those details because I didn't handle that at all, and that night I wasn't so sharp obviously), so he was out at the house when my grandmother died at home on Thanksgiving, so that might have affected it when my dad died less than a year later. Either way, we were pretty lucky to get away with not paying the bill, but also getting the ashes back. It was several thousand dollars each, and there was no family support/life insurance. If we hadn't been able to pay, most places wouldn't have given us the ashes.

ChesterJT posted:

It depends on the job. I work a non-salary office government job and get 4 weeks of vacation plus 10 paid holidays plus I'm sitting on about 700 hours of unused sick time because I don't get sick either. Not everyone working in America is either at McDonald's or a CEO.
:lol: if you think the only people in the private sector getting hosed over by their workplaces are those working at McDonalds. Like, have you read this thread at all?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdRMuQiv0No
:smith:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You're thinking about it all wrong.

How much extra for the mummified corpse?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Araenna posted:

:lol: if you think the only people in the private sector getting hosed over by their workplaces are those working at McDonalds. Like, have you read this thread at all?

I don't think that at all.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/07/30/us/politics/trump-tax-cuts-rich.amp.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/25/magazine/big-business-gwyneth-paltrow-wellness.html

This is why I'm okay with climate change

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

DiHK posted:

JFC, that didn't help your kids ya'll.

Yeah, they were deeply troubled and desperate, and not thinking completely logically.

It's a hard mindset to understand if you haven't been there (or close to it).

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I work in government and a surprising number of my coworkers are content with working uncompensated hours on a regular basis. I know people who routinely stay until 7:00 or 7:30 in the evening--sometimes later--and think that filing for the overtime or comp time that they are legally owed is some kind of admission of weakness, a sign of entitlement, and/or a mark against one's character. The same ethic has created an environment where leaving at 5:00 is taken as an indication you aren't working hard or don't have enough to do. Hooray for capitalism's creeping colonization of the public sector workspace, I guess.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

Borneo, a giant, rugged island in Southeast Asia’s Malay Archipelago, is shared by the Malaysian states of Sabah and Sarawak, Indonesian Kalimantan and the tiny nation of Brunei. It’s known for its beaches and ancient, biodiverse rainforest, home to wildlife including orangutans and clouded leopards. In Sabah is 4,095m-tall Mount Kinabalu, the island’s highest peak, and, offshore, the famed dive site Sipadan Island.

NOT ANYMORE MOTHERFUCKERS WE GOTTA PUT STRIP MALLS THERE

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Araenna posted:

How many of your colleagues do the same thing? Is it a general policy? Or left to discretion? I tried contacting some lines last year, but finding any that could understand the fear as a trans person of being committed was really hard. And I was afraid to talk further because I didn't trust they'd understand how much worse being committed could make things for me. Nowadays I have a therapist and psychiatrist to advocate for me, so I wouldn't worry as much. But the idea as a non-binary person of being committed against my will, was more terrifying than dying at that point.

Sup trans buddy, you should check out the yospos yeerk thread some time, could always use more people to help in our world domination plot to promote the queering of America :patriot:

Or just like, hang out, talk about stuff, that's cool too.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Communist Walrus posted:

I work in government and a surprising number of my coworkers are content with working uncompensated hours on a regular basis. I know people who routinely stay until 7:00 or 7:30 in the evening--sometimes later--and think that filing for the overtime or comp time that they are legally owed is some kind of admission of weakness, a sign of entitlement, and/or a mark against one's character. The same ethic has created an environment where leaving at 5:00 is taken as an indication you aren't working hard or don't have enough to do. Hooray for capitalism's creeping colonization of the public sector workspace, I guess.

It was like this when I was in the Navy. People would get into pissing contests over who had the least sleep and everyone worked themselves into alcoholism and divorce.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Elderbean posted:

It was like this when I was in the Navy. People would get into pissing contests over who had the least sleep and everyone worked themselves into alcoholism and divorce.

It was like this in EMS. I worked there four years and a guy in his forties died. A twenty seven year old died a few months after I left.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQthFDpYCys

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Elderbean posted:

I hear this all the time. I don't get the pride people feel for destroying their bodies so they can get more hours of work in the day. Yeah cool, you got a slightly larger paycheck, but now your physically ill all the time and miserable.

I worked with a kid who was maybe 16 and would clock out, then continue to work to "help out". What the gently caress, they do not loving pay you enough for you to use your personal time, go home.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I hear this all the time. I don't get the pride people feel for destroying their bodies so they can get more hours of work in the day. Yeah cool, you got a slightly larger paycheck, but now your physically ill all the time and miserable.

I worked with a kid who was maybe 16 and would clock out, then continue to work to "help out". What the gently caress, they do not loving pay you enough for you to use your personal time, go home.

I remember being 16 and thinking my hard work mattered. My lovely job would call and go "hey someone called off can you come in?" Or ask if I could stay late and I did because my parents swore the hard work would be noticed and it would lead to good things.

Then I got my first evaluation and it last a minute and consisted of the manager going "you're an average worker you get a 5 cent raise" and just like that I didn't give a poo poo anymore. I was now making 5.80 an hour oh boy howdy let me just be ecstatic

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Lmao if you don’t just donate your organs and body when you die. Conveniently paid for cremation AND you help out society. gently caress funerals and coffins

I hope some hung over med student finger blasts my rear end and accidentally cuts off my dick gently caress this gay earth who cares I’m dead

This is what I'm doing. If you're really interested in it, contact the medical school of your choice now and fill out the required paperwork.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFjYkrq5JU4

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
you guys are living in hell

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Also the manager in charge of payroll would edit your punches so you had to keep your clock out slips to prove that he was literally taking your money away.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
hell world

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Len posted:

Also the manager in charge of payroll would edit your punches so you had to keep your clock out slips to prove that he was literally taking your money away.
*liberals pass law outlawing clock out slips to help save the environment*

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

hmmm pretty pissed off I already have a back tat

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zzulu posted:

you guys are living in hell

Yes but its free or some poo poo

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
"H-ell! W-orld! H-ell W-orld!" isn't as catchy at baseball games.

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!
I used to see this four or five times a day and it makes me mad every time. But not right now, we are on strike. No war but class war!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Animated Nerd posted:

I used to see this four or five times a day and it makes me mad every time. But not right now, we are on strike. No war but class war!

what the gently caress????