Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Are both SRW titles on the PS4 worth getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

You mean V and X? Yes IMO though I liked V a little more than X.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it's better on Vita and couldn't fathom playing it on a TV, but yeah, SRWX is my first SRW game and jesus christ is it amazing.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

All three are.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Honestly, Macross and how song is used kind of hurts it in Delta. Against the Zentradi it worked because of the culture shock value. After that they still needed to actually negotiate and try to get them to get used to a life that wasn't solely about fighting. And even then there's plenty of Zentradi who just go back to fighting.

It's mostly irrelevant in Plus except as sort of a background detail. Sure, an illegally upgraded AI brainwashes people with song but the UN wasn't trying to weaponize it or anything, they just wanted to develop an AI.

7 I feel is where things start to go downhill as the start of a trend but it's fine within itself. They try to weaponize singing but it turns out it's kind of hard to weaponize the power of the soul. And not just anyone can do it, though apparently if you put that much heart into it, you can? It's inconsistent but that's fine because it's not well-understood.

Frontier kind of returns to the original in some ways. Song affects the Vajra but it doesn't really do anything really magical until near the end. And it's fine, at least within the series and movie, because it's satisfying to use song to save the Vajra from becoming enslaved.

Delta combines a lot of stuff and is kind of awful about it. They're really into weaponizing singing but it just turns out to just be an uninteresting combat buff. There's the initial hook of it being used to counter var syndrome but it just ultimately becomes sing so they can fight better against these uber pilots. The first episode is great because the point is for them to continue singing. So long as they sing, the fighting can end. The point of the pilots fighting is so they can keep singing. There's good action and interplay because it's not like they just stand in the rear and sing. It doesn't really go the direction of Symphogear but it certainly takes a step in the direction of making the singers an active part of the combat. There's a teamwork aspect too because they obviously can't stand up to mecha and the hologram drones don't level the playing field for them.

But then the rest of the show isn't like that. I think tsob and mllaneza cover the issues with the action and characters.

And there's politics in Delta. It's actually kind of some really interesting politics. You start seeing it in Plus and it just grows from there. Individual leaders and groups of humanity can be forces of good but the UN and NUN are kind of your typical governments. Delta even goes further by talking about how song is an instrumental part of humanity's culture but is also a tool for colonialism and imperialism. And then they kind of go from interesting to shooting themselves in the foot by declaring themselves a master race.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hisone and Masotan is really good

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Raxivace posted:

I don't agree. It is absolutely is unresolved- Alto does not explicitly choose one girl over the other, and one of the final scenes of the show is even Sheryl and Ranka reaffirming to each other that their romantic rivalry is only continuing.

So he doesn't ever explicitly pick one girl except when he does; but that doesn't count because he thought Sheryl was dying so nothing he does during that time can be take as his true feelings? Despite the fact that we see during this time that he's unwilling to go along with his brother's wish to come home and pretend to be something he's not simply to make his dying father happy. Almost like it's a confirmation that Alto won't go along with something simply to make someone he's emotionally connected to happy. And Ranka's declaration that she'll be Sheryl's rival in music and in love should be taken as a confirmation of the openness of his feelings for her because...?

Raxivace posted:

For one bit of the show when Alto thought she was going to die. It was out of pity. Sheryl even has a line afterwards about how they were only "pretending at being lovers".

I actually had to look that up, since I didn't recall anything like that from the show. Apparently she does say "let's stop pretending to be lovers" in the Shinsen/Coalgirls rendition of the subs, but the version I saw (AOGM apparently; never even heard of 'em outside this) has her say "let's save the lover business for later". Coalgirls even have two sub tracks that render it in both translations. I have no idea which is the actual translation since I don't speak Japanese, but what I do know is that she's obviously being flippant because she doesn't want to hear Alto say anything about Ranka given they're on a rescue mission for Ranka or Alto say that he doesn't love her; but that Alto makes no indication he's being anything but genuine at the time and certainly doesn't react like Sheryl is questioning or denying their relationship so I suspect the "lover's business" line is more accurate.

Also, that one bit of the show is the last 4 or 5 episodes; up to and including the final one. Which is a pretty significant bit of the show to have a relationship in.

Raxivace posted:

That's absolutely coded in a way to suggest some amount of romantic interest- its part of how Frontier is playing off of the moe craze, the "desire to protect cuteness" or whatever. Its why you have a bunch of scenes about Alto wondering about Ranka (Even during some of the "dates" with Sheryl).

If you have to argue that it's coded, then it's not definitively there and is only subjective subtext at best. It's the same argument shippers for every single show in existence use.

Argas posted:

It's mostly irrelevant in Plus except as sort of a background detail. Sure, an illegally upgraded AI brainwashes people with song but the UN wasn't trying to weaponize it or anything, they just wanted to develop an AI.

Myung also uses song to wake Isamu from Sharon's hypnosis; singing he hears despite Myung singing in a tiny voice while he's inside the cockpit of a variable fighter flying by outside the SDF and her not being hooked up to any kind of sound magnification system. I'd also say that hypnotizing an entire city to your will in seconds and getting people to act against their own self interest is basically magic anyway so it doesn't matter if the UN Spacy was trying to weaponize it or not because song power was still a thing in Plus.

Argas posted:

And there's politics in Delta. It's actually kind of some really interesting politics. You start seeing it in Plus and it just grows from there. Individual leaders and groups of humanity can be forces of good but the UN and NUN are kind of your typical governments. Delta even goes further by talking about how song is an instrumental part of humanity's culture but is also a tool for colonialism and imperialism. And then they kind of go from interesting to shooting themselves in the foot by declaring themselves a master race.

I really liked the setup in Macross Delta because it's almost a mirror of the setup in SDF but casting humanity as the villain. Humans have come along with hyper advanced alien technology that kicks the poo poo out of anything the Windermereans have, but the Windermereans discovery of an ancient spaceship and use of it along with the power of song allows them to push back against these invaders. Humans are even mostly clones at that point, or at least only one generation removed from a lot of cloned humans at best. Unfortunately it pisses that all away pretty quickly, and the Windermereans are basically the bestest guys ever and capable of no wrong despite using mind control to subjugate the galaxy.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 30, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

tsob I'm getting bored of this conversation so as much as I might have liked to explain the semiotics of moe to you I'm going to go against my usual policy of relying on much outside material and I'll just quote the drat writer of the show.

quote:

—I’m sure this question has been asked of and answered by you many times already, but why did you not settle the love triangle between Alto, Ranka and Sheryl?

The truth is, we were debating whether to settle it or not right up to the end. Then, as we were all focusing on the endgame, even though none of us every put it unambiguously into words, everyone began to feel the same way. That it wasn’t something that would end along the lines of someone winning, along the lines of Alto ending up with one or the other; that it need not end in that manner.

A lot of people on all sides even started joking that, if that quiet and unsociable Alto were to act naturally, he’d like the sky more than either girl anyway. And the result was that [we] decided not to force a conclusion, but to let them all go on and move forward in accordance with their character personalities.

At that time, [we] all wondered, “Won’t the viewers be angry?” “Probably. But that’s fine, I’m prepared for that.”1 But after than, when the feedback from the viewers had come in, Kawamori-san may have gotten rather down. It seems like he was really bothered [by what everyone said]. However, whilst watching both girls on stage during the concert at the Budoukan, we had the following conversation: “It’s good that we didn’t settle it, huh?” “True that. If we’d settled it, this concert would definitely have been rather strange.” (chuckles).
https://karice.wordpress.com/2016/07/31/p516/

Boom, right there, the writer of the show saying that they didn't resolve the love triangle.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 30, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

Boom, right there, the writer of the show saying that they didn't resolve the love triangle.

What do you mean? That clearly states they did!

Alto x Sky OTP.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

What do you mean? That clearly states they did!

Alto x Sky OTP.

Somehow also an Isamu NTR.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Raxivace posted:

tsob I'm getting bored of this conversation

Geez, I wasn't aware I was forcing you in to replying.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

tsob posted:

Geez, I wasn't aware I was forcing you in to replying.

You post like someone's forcing you! :iceburn:

No, seriously, those are some huge walls of text. :geno:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

tsob posted:

Myung also uses song to wake Isamu from Sharon's hypnosis; singing he hears despite Myung singing in a tiny voice while he's inside the cockpit of a variable fighter flying by outside the SDF and her not being hooked up to any kind of sound magnification system. I'd also say that hypnotizing an entire city to your will in seconds and getting people to act against their own self interest is basically magic anyway so it doesn't matter if the UN Spacy was trying to weaponize it or not because song power was still a thing in Plus.

To be honest I literally forgot about that. But I don't lump it in with the rest, despite being an example of the power of song, because they're not really acknowledged in-universe in the shows. I mean, I can't read Japanese so maybe there's something that talks about it but AFAIK Myung is basically an unknown and Sharon Apple is mostly held up as how dangerous AI can be.

tsob posted:

I really liked the setup in Macross Delta because it's almost a mirror of the setup in SDF but casting humanity as the villain. Humans have come along with hyper advanced alien technology that kicks the poo poo out of anything the Windermereans have, but the Windermereans discovery of an ancient spaceship and use of it along with the power of song allows them to push back against these invaders. Humans are even mostly clones at that point, or at least only one generation removed from a lot of cloned humans at best. Unfortunately it pisses that all away pretty quickly, and the Windermereans are basically the bestest guys ever and capable of no wrong despite using mind control to subjugate the galaxy.

It just felt lazy the way they did it. But an ideal exploration of the natural progression of such politics would completely derail the pace and scope of the show. Would the Windermereans be a more idealistic liberator nation like the most idealistic impossible dream of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere? Or would they be closer to what it was in reality (which was the way it seemed to be going)? Obviously they could go a different route altogether but the setup is certainly fertile for that with Windermere as a rising power capable of dancing with humanity's military and allied groups, and the various other native societies of their star cluster not all fully integrated or universally approving of human colonization. Sure, Ragna seems well-integrated but I do recall some lingering shots on the planet with the cat?-eared people where some of the older folks were clearly not really happy about either group. I feel Delta and Macross in general are probably a bit too idealistic to really delve into this too deeply but Windermere just dived straight into master race bullshit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yeah, Windermere was just another reason Delta fell short of greatness. The worst of it was, we had the second villain in a row trying to create a galaxy brain with themselves at the center pulling the strings. And let's face it, Chancellor Roid is not half the villain that Colonel/Doctor Grace O'Connor was.

Looking back again, I'd say the high point of Delta was the exposition dumps towards the end. Frontier never did a clip show. Delta shouldn't have, but I like the recap of Macross history and the gorgeous static art they did to represent each of the shows; I'd pick up a poster of the art they did for Frontier if one is available; this one.

But there's one thing I am super intrigued about that Delta brought up. How the holy gently caress did Lynn Minmei, Lady M according to the sub I watched, end up running a mercenary fleet that controls multiple Macross-class units ?

Another nice thing in Delta, the beautiful piano arrangement of one of Minmei's tunes at the end of episode 25.

Last note, there are some decent dogfights in Delta where the transforming ability comes into play. Hayate can make a VF dance after all. But, compared to Frontier the fights fall short on composition, stakes, and music. There's nothing in Delta that can touch Alto beating a rogue Zentraedi in the middle of the series, and that's not Frontier' best dogfight. Frontier makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, Delta.. doesn't.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I thought the M was for Misa

Who, you know, was already an officer

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

They never actually give a clear explanation.

It's just yanking viewers around.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah, there's never an explanation. Who is Lady M? How did she get to this position? What happened to Megaroad 1?

They're literally never going to answer it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mllaneza posted:

Last note, there are some decent dogfights in Delta where the transforming ability comes into play. Hayate can make a VF dance after all.

I thought that was a good follow up to Frontier. Alto posed his VF like a kabuki actor at times, so the next protagonist taking that a step further and just flat out dancing was a cool idea. It's also a good melding of the two halves of the show (mechs & idols) by having the mech pilot dance as the idol sings. Hayate even talked about teaching Freyja to dance at one point if I recall. Sadly, like a lot of Delta it was basically abandoned after the first episode and went nowhere. He does dance at least once more in the first couple of episodes, but I don't think it was ever a thing after that point. I hope whatever the next Macross show is follows up on some of the ideas Delta raised (dancing mechs, idols as active participants on the battlefield, song drones to add to the battlefield and so on).

Mister Olympus posted:

Minmay is probably the character I least want it to be because I just don't think Minmay ever came across as that concerned about the science or politics of the setting. Misa would be alright, but I think Mao is probably the best candidate since she was already kind of involved in song power herself through her sister and with the disappearence of Sara (and Shin) she'd have a reason to look in to the science of song power, the history of the Protoculture etc. and become invested in that field. We even know through Frontier that she was involved in scientific research, even if not in that field.

Argas posted:

Yeah, there's never an explanation. Who is Lady M? How did she get to this position? What happened to Megaroad 1?

They're literally never going to answer it.

I'm actually kind of okay with that. I like that Kawamori just took the initial protagonists, put them on a plane and shipped them off to the land of mystery where they can never over-shadow the franchise again. The one character he re-used from SDF was Max, a secondary character in that show who he made a secondary character in 7 too; even if one with a bit more prominence.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

One thing I liked is how they handle humanity getting a progressively better and better handle on the sciency side of the power of song. By the time Delta rolls around, they're analyzing bio-fold waves in real time with handheld devices. This could have been the series' "midichlorian moment", but they managed not to ruin it. Emotion and heart are still the keys to it, even if they can measure it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

tsob posted:

I'm actually kind of okay with that. I like that Kawamori just took the initial protagonists, put them on a plane and shipped them off to the land of mystery where they can never over-shadow the franchise again. The one character he re-used from SDF was Max, a secondary character in that show who he made a secondary character in 7 too; even if one with a bit more prominence.

AFAIK that was the actual plan all along. Megaroad along with Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay disappear. They're never brought up again, the fate of Megaroad 1 will never be explained or explored. In-universe it's basically in a weird limbo where the UN pretends Megaroad 1 isn't MIA because of the famous war heroes on board. Macross 7 and its fleet was one of many with a secondary mission of find out what happened to Megaroad 1 but it's clear they wanted to leave it a mystery.

And then they broke that rule in Delta for a cheap reference they did nothing with.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Unless I'm missing something, that fight seems a bit... one sided.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah nothing in that panel suggests that Mazinger Z is even being piloted, so its clearly going to lose.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Nice bench.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Is that a doujin or official work

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
douj

https://twitter.com/sasakimuu/status/1025331457034604544

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Futaba's dreams are fairly surreal as is, so her dreaming about being a Mazinger pilot instead of flying around on broomsticks to board floating galleons above a water logged city isn't really a stretch. She is an expert dreamer after all.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Coworker just got back from Japan.

He knows me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think I'm going to start watching through all of VOTOMs today. Is there any reason I shouldn't be watching everything in production order?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I think I'm going to start watching through all of VOTOMs today. Is there any reason I shouldn't be watching everything in production order?

Production order best order, as usual.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I jumped straight into Pailsen files but first I had to figure out why Plex was marking it Season 3.

Because it is Season 3, 25 years later.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched the first five episodes of VOTOMS. They...were good!

I was confused by episode 2 though. Who shot the Mad Max biker guy at the end?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I don’t think we ever get a concrete answer, but it is one of several hints at a much later plot twist (or something else they considered and then abandoned - I got the strong impression that VOTOMS was written as it went rather than being extensively pre-planned).

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

New Fafner the Beyond trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFWE3_GKJRI

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Raxivace posted:

Are you watching the next episode previews? Because you should be watching the next episode previews.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm watching them. Did I miss something in one?

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
No, they're just delightful.

"Evil and treachery, corruption and confusion. All ground together as though poured from the same concrete mixer. Melkiah's very own Gomorrah."
"Chirico drinks, and the coffee of Woodo is bitter indeed."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ideon and Xabungle are getting blu-ray releases from RightStuf.

I think this is the first time Xabungle Graffiti has even gotten English subs of any kind? That's pretty cool- I still haven't seen Xabungle myself but this seems like the way to see the show. I think I'll pick up the Ideon set too if only to have the two movies.

Zero_Tactility posted:

No, they're just delightful.

"Evil and treachery, corruption and confusion. All ground together as though poured from the same concrete mixer. Melkiah's very own Gomorrah."
"Chirico drinks, and the coffee of Woodo is bitter indeed."
Ah yeah, they're cool.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Standard definition, but on blu-ray? Is that common?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

Standard definition, but on blu-ray? Is that common?
Ugh, I completely missed that.

Apparently SD Blu-ray is a thing but I thought Ideon at least already got an HD remaster in Japan. Its bizarre if they're just not using that for this English release.