Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Relentless posted:

Go stun build. Regain mana on melee hit. Stunned and dead enemies aren't dealing damage, so, in that respect, it's like you're healing MORE!

Ha, I didn't even think to try that build. I usually default to "how do I heal harder" talents when trying supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Polio Vax Scene posted:

When she was first released she was a monster but got the nerf bat and now is in the 'average' tier where she can set up kills for her team but can't 1v5 like a jimmy.

Got it. Was playing around with her a bit the other day and it just felt like all of my wins were based on having a guldan, jaina, or kaelthas around to actually get kills while I played shepherd

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Man, I played Uther once, I felt totally ineffective. The C/D on his heal is so long, and if I go do melee I get CCed a ton. He's the only healer I've tried (Tyrande does not count) that I really felt like I wasn't able to do my job.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ToastyPotato posted:

Is there are trick to playing Uther where I actually get to have mana and play the game like a proper healer or nah? I have tried every healer now and Uther is the first time I just could not help but constantly be OOM. I'd go drink from the fountain and be OOM again in no time.

Yes, it's called "take Silver Touch".

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
you do not ever want uther on braxis or BoE

Beyond that just hope your team recognizes that your mana pool is limited and plays accordingly

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Uther needs to be played more like a hybrid frontline and less of a pure healer. Save your heals for when people are being hit to take advantage of the mitigation. Don’t do too much healing in between fights unless you know you have plenty of mana and will have cds up when a fight starts. You need to soak some hits too to take advantage of selfless healer.

Ideally for you, the enemies will try to focus you or split between you and a dps. You can kite, peel and mitigate while your team takes them down. If you aren’t melee’ing as Uther, you aren’t doing it right. I tend to be very aggressive as Uther but I’m also very selective about what games I pick him. He’s not a good all purpose healer like malf.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I think I need one more game (win) before I hit 5 with him, after which, I highly doubt I will ever play him again. His design just feels horrible compared to everyone else I've tried so far.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
He definitely feels dated being one of the first heroes. He has had two major reworks and frequently straddles the unbalanced line. He was over-represented as a healer in competitions up until this last year.

In early alpha he was the really squishy and more of a full healer. Then some changes to holy shock made him the #1 poo poo-kicked burst dps. You could 100-0 just about any assassin during the course of one stun rotation. When he first got the latest rework he was stupidly tanky and a better frontliner than some full tanks while being able to dish out massive heals.

Over the last year he has come down in power and lots of heroes do exactly what he does better. Many of his talents feel like they were made into full hero concepts that are just better: Heal on hit - Kharazim; Holy Shock - Alex’s Fireball (or really Whitemane now); Highly Survivable more strategic healer with heavy CC - Cain. Even Yrel has taken some of his flare. She’s exactly what Uther should have been; a self-healing warrior with heavy cc and limited team heals.

He’s probably due for a refresh along with Valla, Samuro, Illidan, and Kerrigan.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Uther has something the other supports dont though, an incredible lumberjack skin.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Has anyone given Whitemane a spin on the PTR yet?

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

I’m putting together another fanmade hero based on World of Warcraft, this time a Support; Professor Putricide or Lorewalker Cho?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yes.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
How would Putricide heal? Just turn you undead so it doesn't matter?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Probably some kind of alchemical toolkit

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

I have the rough outlines for them already, I’m just doing things like filling out talent rows and making a fake hero page

SirSamVimes posted:

Probably some kind of alchemical toolkit

Yes indeed. I’m not 100% solid on the ults but I think they work alright.

“Good news, everyone! Professor Putricide is a slippery Ranged Support that combines dangerous chemicals to heal allies and damage foes.”

Trait - A Little Bit Extra: Activate to cause your next Basic Ability to not incur its cooldown.
Q - Ordinary Gas Cloud: Surrounds an allied or enemy Hero with a gas cloud that lasts 5 seconds. On an ally, it periodically heals them; on an enemy, it periodically damages.
W - Harmless Concoction: Tosses a vial at a location. If it hits an Ordinary Gas Cloud the cloud explodes, healing all allies and damaging all enemies inside.
E - Slip ‘n’ Slime: Places a slime trail in a direction that lasts 4 seconds. While on the trail you move 20% faster and are periodically healed. Enemies that step on the trail are immobilized for 1.5 sec.
R1 - A Wonderful Creation!: Sends an adorable Flesh Horror in a direction that’s surrounded by an Ordinary Gas Cloud. After 4 seconds it explodes, spewing a Harmless Concoction in all directions.
R2 - Perfectly Stable Mutation: Become horribly mutated for 7 seconds, during which your Basic Abilities have no cooldown and cost half mana, but also last half as long.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Uther has something the other supports dont though, an incredible lumberjack skin.

Not complete unless you also have a pig mount.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Uh Putricide should not be a support what the heck

Lorewalker Cho could be though

edit: Misread Putricide as Putress. Nevermind, Putricide being a healer makes sense

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Macaluso posted:

edit: Misread Putricide as Putress. Nevermind, Putricide being a healer makes sense

Undead names are prone to typecasting.

Macaluso posted:

Lorewalker Cho is a versatile healing Support that can disrupt an area to turn the tide of battle.”

Trait - Lorewalk: Activate to become a misty spirit, clearing all movement-impairing effects and passing through heroes for 2 seconds.
Q - Expel Harm: Heal an ally for a moderate amount and deal 30% of the healing as damage to nearby enemies.
W - Furling Scroll: Roll out a scroll around the target location. After 1 second, all enemies in the area are pulled a short distance towards the center.
E - Calligraphy: Paint a line from a target point towards a target direction, dealing damage to enemies in the line after .5 seconds. Stores 2 charges.
R1 - Legacy of the Emperor: Create a zone of mists around you, healing allies for a large amount over 6 seconds and granting them Stealth for 4 seconds.
R2 - Priceless Artifact: Tosses a priceless pandaren urn to an enemy, suppressing their attacks and Silencing them while they carry it for 3 seconds.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

goddamit being decent at chromie in bronze ruled :(

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

W.T. Fits posted:

Has anyone given Whitemane a spin on the PTR yet?

Pretend I posted a picture of my 7000 second queue right now

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Macaluso posted:

Uh Putricide should not be a support what the heck

Putress was the guy who came up with the cure for the plague from the Wrath pre-launch event.

It's just really easy to forget about that in the wake of, "Death to the Scourge! AND DEATH TO THE LIVING!"

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Why would someone take the healing totem over the stormcaller talent for Rehgar? I feel like getting that mana back is very strong compared to say healing only a marginal amount on your back line with the totem?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Texibus posted:

Why would someone take the healing totem over the stormcaller talent for Rehgar? I feel like getting that mana back is very strong compared to say healing only a marginal amount on your back line with the totem?

Stormcaller was updated pretty recently, it used to be poo poo. Some might not have noticed the change. Personally I prefer the totem. 30 secs is very short (it’s 60 secs on all other heroes that have it) and when you have a heavy frontline x*10% of their health is nothing to sneeze at. You don’t want to use it to heal your backline in my experience, it’s more a tool to save mana while still healing in between fights/when laning.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, 20% of your front line's HP every 30 second is really good. And you can use it for scouting, bush checking, etc as well. It is not as superior as it used to be thanks to the shield buffs, but it is definitely still a good choice in certain comps.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I think it's just nice to have the shield going at all times too, it's a mana hog otherwise.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Reghar, like uther, is another case of being a hero designed in a different time of the game where mana costs were actually a thing

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Reghar, like uther, is another case of being a hero designed in a different time of the game where mana costs were actually a thing

There is some truth to that but compare Cain and Hanzo: the old man will beg for mana if you dare press any key that's not Q while the other just doesn't give a drat and can spam everything on CD for hours. Cain was released very recently, so maybe he lingered on the design board longer than others but it seems to me like a conscious decision from Blizzard to only have some heroes being mana bound. There are also some pretty old heroes who don't have mana like Illidan, Sonya, Aba...

If you want to feel that pain for real queue as Malf in QM and get matched with a mix of Dva, Zarya, Valeera, Fenix, Tracer and Junkrat. Enjoy having no trait.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Phone posting so I can't check but doesn't his trait also increase CD speed now so it'll work on anyone now regardless of the blue bar?

Diablo is also somewhat limited by his mama as well. Depending on what's going on I sometimes have to hearth back for mana rather than health.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If you gave heroes like hanzo and genji more restrictive mana costs (they both can and do go oom in the early game) their abilities would have to be stronger. I have fun playing jaina and hanzo but it's clear why jaina has more of an early game mana choke, it's why she gets to have blizzard early game.

Newer heroes are designed to do more things with fewer pauses (and press more buttons in the process), but they generally don't have ridiculously powerful basic abilities like kerrigan W+E.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Deckit posted:

Diablo is also somewhat limited by his mama as well.

This is the best autocorrect.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

This is the best autocorrect.

I'll agree fully with this.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Deckit posted:

Diablo is also somewhat limited by his mama as well. Depending on what's going on I sometimes have to hearth back for mana rather than health.

Devil's Due enhances mana from globes though :confused:

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Deckard tends to be fine after about Lv7 or so in my experience, as someone who spams everything off CD. I tend to only need to hearth once a match.

My favorite mana-hog is Muradin. My warrior mana. It's the only thing though that prevents him from having infinite sustain, though.

It seems to just be a relic and they're not sure if they want mana to matter or not it seems. More than a few heroes just don't give a poo poo about it while others live and die by it. Kerrigan goes OOM really fast, but like, Hanzo doesn't care. Raynor doesn't care. Then there's heroes who just have 1 talent and boom it doesn't really matter anymore or will not matter later on - Rehgar, Kael'thas who stacks Mana Addict well.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

always go devils due it is even more op now than before the rework

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Was screwing around with Nu-Chromie on the PTR and came across an unreleased Dehaka skin:

Standard Green/Red/Yellow coloration that's used for many other skins. I'll try to dig through the replay and get a better shot.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

*still waiting for those additional MechaStorm colors that were data-mined back in January*

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
My favorite part about playing Jojo or Blaze is having to hearth after every fight.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I like the heal on overpower/stun more, perhaps unless you are playing tomb, and the win rates seem to say the same thing. Feast on fear is 3% higher than due.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I agree with this just based on my experience playing Diablo recently but HOTSlogs has me weirded out because Feast on Fear has a higher popularity and higher winrate (Master, Diamond/Master).

Mana is definitely a problem for me when I take FoF and laning is so much easier when you can play defensively and offensively with Devils Due (even when you're not solo). I can understand the appeal of in-combat sustain but I feel like Due significantly increases your availability for fights because you're almost constantly topped off without having to hearth back.

It might just be a personal preference, I know I'm probably less aggressive than other Diablo players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Not saying you're wrong about which talent is better but never use win rates to determine how good a talent is.