Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

my bitter bi rival posted:

i think kbs is very good but the hype around it is so high it will invariably let you down a little.

i suspect several years ago it deserved that hype but these days there are aprox. 9284579387456*10^999 barrel aged stouts heavy on the coffee and chocolate flavors, and i've definitely had some on par with the KBS but more readily available and less expensive

gently caress if i can remember what beers those were exactly. todo: sign up for untapped or ratebeer or some poo poo, i need a goddamn database to keep track of everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

SO DEMANDING posted:

i suspect several years ago it deserved that hype but these days there are aprox. 9284579387456*10^999 barrel aged stouts heavy on the coffee and chocolate flavors, and i've definitely had some on par with the KBS but more readily available and less expensive

gently caress if i can remember what beers those were exactly. todo: sign up for untapped or ratebeer or some poo poo, i need a goddamn database to keep track of everything

yeah thats true too. thats actually very similar to how i feel about pliny these days.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I still have a few older bottles of KBS unopened in my fridge. It's reached a weird kind of nash equilibrium where they are too good to open, but not good enough to drink.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i miss the “everyones making a barleywine” microbrew days

brooklyn and harpoon made REALLY good ones and they dont anymore

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

two buds light

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Picked up a bottle of Old Grandad 114 tonight. It’s been a while but it still does the job

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

these are hard to find in CA so i am happy

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

vinho verde

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

thinking about becmoing a beer cellar guy

don't, it's a path filled with shame and regret.

i think kbs is very good but the hype around it is so high it will invariably let you down a little.

SO DEMANDING posted:

yeah thats true too. thats actually very similar to how i feel about pliny these days.

these are all correct. 5-10 years ago Founders KBS, Goose Island BCBS, Pliny the Elder, Heady Topper, every other famous beer, etc were all amazingly unique and high quality. now there are so many breweries making so much great beer that you can find plenty of beers that are just as good or better all over the country. i still drink these beers almost 100% of the time if they are available but i don't waste any effort or money trying to find and secure them.

the only brewery i like making the pilgrimage too is hill farmstead in vermont. usually make a long weekend out of it and hit four or five of the best breweries in the world in massachussets and vermont + do lots of hiking. i always buy way more beer than i can possibly drink though.

there's a full blown beer thread if you want to commit to the next level of beer geekdom but be warned most of them are sort of through the looking glass. they're all at step 12 in this fairly accurate representation of the stages in the hobby of craft beer (list stolen from said thread).

1. Whoa, there's something other than Budweiser? (NOTE: This step may not actually exist anymore. I'm not sure anyone coming into drinking age today is surprised by "craft" beer anymore...)
  2. Discovering 9%+ ABV beers, which leads to...
  3. A fascination with "extreme" beers, either via ABV, how loving black something is, or how bitter (again, that last one might be dead in the post IBU Wars Era)
  4. BARREL AGED BEERS?! Which leads to...
  5. Holy poo poo, I can age this? Time to start a cellar!
  6. "Sours" are gros- wait. This is tasty!
  7. So there's this bottle release on Saturday...
  8. Packing and receiving boxes.
  9. The Lambic Hole
  10. Oh God, what have I done?
  11. Drink your first pilsner in 6 years... and love it.
  12. Better-than-thou statements about how inexpensive shelf beers are better than anything else ever brewed.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
mods plz rename this thread "the lambic hole"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
code:
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 02:35:37 -0800
Newsgroups: news.groups
Subject: cmsg newgroup somethingawful.shsc.yospos.the-lambic-hole
Approved: eschaton

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

load hacking tools . . . ☑️

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

OldAlias posted:

vinho verde

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the best new trend is delicious ~4% light pilsners/lagers/kolsches

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
red racer makes a really tasty pils

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

the best new trend is delicious ~4% light pilsners/lagers/kolsches

a good kolsch is so nice

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ive been drinking a gently caress load of dayblazer lately and i suggest all do the same

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

SO DEMANDING posted:

also this year kbs had either a huge release or a second release that contained 22oz bottles and i was able to just walk into the liquor stores and buy them

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

this looks good

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Captain Foo posted:

a good kolsch is so nice

they sure are. they're just pleasant beers when done right. if they arent super boozy the better, makes them good for drinking while watching a game

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ive honestly never had a lager that i thought was all that great. ale supremacy

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
death & taxes black lager is p deece, the bar & theater near me has it and it’s become my go-to there

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

ive honestly never had a lager that i thought was all that great. ale supremacy

the big 3 japanese lagers, at least as they're sold in japan, are quite needs suiting.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I just finished the bottle of Belvedere that has been here longer than most of my coworkers :toot:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
lagers are great for when you just want something simple and easy. prime uses cases of the lager: tailgating/watching sports, after physical activity like yard work/moving/sports, drinking games, etc.

just drank bright, aaalter ego, curiosity 50, and single shot from tree house. they really crush the new england style ipa but i'm starting to get bored of it. they all end up tasting very similar. i still think hill farmstead is the best brewery in the us. if you guys live up in the north east definitely worth a trip. you can hit tree house on your way up, then the alchemist, foam, fiddlehead, hill farmstead, and then hit trillium on your way home. lots of great hiking up there. we usually rent a place in waterbury which has some great restaurants and an awesome little brew pub called prohibition pig. welp that's my brewery and vermont story.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah lagers are ok, ill drink em, but none of them ive had were ever better than ok

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This weekend I visited a friend that's got a house in the Hudson Valley and he took me to Sloop and Suarez. It was the first I'd heard of either of them, but they were both really good. Suarez had a pineapple sage country beer that was something else.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I;'m drinking Colombian rum. It's very good.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I;'m drinking Polish vodka. It's very good.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

might do some drinking today working on the yard

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

alcoholism owns

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fart simpson posted:

alcoholism owns

you can't drink me, i'm already dead

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cheese-cube posted:

you can't drink me, i'm already dead

mmm, pickled liver

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

c happy hour s: manhattan(s)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Skim Milk posted:

deece choice

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/bungarsargon/status/1024763668767100928?s=21

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Skim Milk posted:

nice! had a nice rye manhattan and a very dirty martini the other day with a delicious meal and a good friend i havent seen for a while

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

dont forget the milk stout

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I always eat my cereal with milkstout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i;m drinking japanese beer. it’s piss