Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

Use inflatable furniture for everything and just have it look like whatever you want in VR!

What if I want it to look like inflatable furniture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

What if I want it to look like inflatable furniture?

Good news! The VR version will feel like the real version too!

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
I'm looking for this kitchen table and bench to purchase:

Any suggestions?

I was able to find this one which is similar, but there is a center bar which I would prefer wasn't there.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/millwood-pines-tiggs-3-piece-dining-set-txr3140.html

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Don't you have five tucked away in your storage warehouse, Joanna?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

there wolf posted:

Don't you have five tucked away in your storage warehouse, Joanna?

lol, SHIPLAP, ASSEMBLE!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

1024x768 posted:

Any suggestions?

Perhaps this is a regional thing but isn't that just a varnished picnic bench?

Like a slightly better material version of this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wooden-Picnic-Bench-Pressure-treated/dp/B00B2B21OO

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Perhaps this is a regional thing but isn't that just a varnished picnic bench?

Like a slightly better material version of this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wooden-Picnic-Bench-Pressure-treated/dp/B00B2B21OO

It has separate benches and is of considerably nicer construction, but it is trying to evoke picnicness, yes

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

PRADA SLUT posted:

Just size it in a 3D modeling program. Everyone should have a model of their place already anyway.

And if you're just screwing around and getting ideas about area flow and major item placement, The Sims 3 works in a pinch.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

Just size it in a 3D modeling program. Everyone should have a model of their place already anyway.

What's a good free 3D program that's easy to use to plan out a small apartment?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

I'll let other chip in because I deffo don't have a definitive answer, but I tried both SketchUp and Fusion 360 and I found them both good in different ways, neither was perfect for me.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

whalesteak posted:

I have this sofa: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/margot-ii-tight-back-sofa/s634847

It's firm, not too deep (I'm 5'3 and sofas have gotten super uncomfortable since the shift to "loungey" depth) and before I gave in and made a slipcover for it, I shampooed the upholstery about once a month and it held up brilliantly. I like that it's got clean, modern lines without straying too far into midcentury-knockoff material. I'm a sucker for the ease of a tight back/tight seat though.

Thanks for the recommendation! I link the loungey-style couches and have a buddy who's over frequently who's literally 6'7", but I'm still gonna go find wherever the local Crate and Barrel is to try this one out. Thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Buddy should bring his own couch for visits, like Paul Bunyan would/did/taught us.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

surf rock posted:

Thanks for the recommendation! I link the loungey-style couches and have a buddy who's over frequently who's literally 6'7", but I'm still gonna go find wherever the local Crate and Barrel is to try this one out. Thanks!

Yeah, my husband is nearly 6'5" and I had to get him a big overstuffed armchair + ottoman so he could really kick back during football season. I'm basically running out the clock until my boys are old enough to vote, and i have to resign myself to 20 years of puffy-arm reclining sectional misery.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

LifeLynx posted:

There’s Homestyler and Roomstyler for web-based ones too

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

whalesteak posted:

Yeah, my husband is nearly 6'5" and I had to get him a big overstuffed armchair + ottoman so he could really kick back during football season. I'm basically running out the clock until my boys are old enough to vote, and i have to resign myself to 20 years of puffy-arm reclining sectional misery.

You could simply get a big comfy couch with some compatible sectional ottomans or a couch with a chaise end. The only thing uglier than a recliner-sectional is having a bunch of those "home theater" chairs that places like Bob's Discount Furniture sell that have cupholder armrests and I assume are bought by the same dudes who get rear window decals on their lifted $70k trucks.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Our current sofa is actually the chaise version of the sofa I linked. It's just fundamentally hard to find a sofa that's equally comfortable for two so differently sized people with such different taste. I prefer a firm sofa with a more upright seating position so I can do things like use our huge coffee table to fold laundry in comfort. My husband insists that an ottoman is in no way equal to a recliner, particularly when it comes to football watching and napping. He's offered many a time to start looking at suburban homes with a basement for him, but I don't want that much house and hate the idea of living anywhere that's not walkable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

whalesteak posted:

He's offered many a time to start looking at suburban homes with a basement for him, but I don't want that much house and hate the idea of living anywhere that's not walkable.

God, the idea of a "man cave" that isn't like a workshop or hobby space/library/office of some kind and is instead "the sportsball and beer room" makes me retch. It's the hetero male version of wall text.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

God, the idea of a "man cave" that isn't like a workshop or hobby space/library/office of some kind and is instead "the sportsball and beer room" makes me retch. It's the hetero male version of wall text.

A kid I went to highschool with posted pictures of his proudly done man cave. Besides the term making me gag, the pictures make me go full-puke.

Just to be clear the top right is the edge of Nascar tires he has on the wall.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
^ Rough.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I agree that overdone versions of that concept are obnoxious, but I think it's a question of moderation. I've seen really enjoyable versions of it and really horrendous versions of it. I do hate the term "man cave" itself, though.

Generally, I like the idea of specialized spaces. I grew up in a house where almost everything was meant to be all-purpose space, which is highly functional but boring, and my home is small enough that I pretty much need it to operate the same way, but I'd love to have some dedicated spaces in my next home (who knows when that'll come). Top on my list would be a theater room, but I'd also love an office large enough to have a small library (5+ bookshelves).

If people want to recreate a little dive bar in their house, more power to them. I have a friend with a whole room set up as an art and sculpture gallery and another who has basically a trophy room for her comic and nerd stuff collection. I think it's stuff like that which helps to makes a house more like a home and less like a Pottery Barn catalog.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The house we bought, the people had gone so man cave they literally put in a urinal. Steelers-themed bathroom. No actual toilet in that one, it’s just the sink and the urinal. What do you even call that, a quarter-bath? Anyhow it’s now a closet and I’ll be ripping out the appliance at some point, or possibly annexing the room through its back wall to make the actual full bath a larger en suite affair with the guest room or some such. Or just a bare closet. But not a urinal.

On the plus(?) side, my wife and mother in law now know what a urinal cake is because the sellers left a few extras with the cleaning supplies and I guess that’s just not something women experience, we had a small chuckle about that and then said “anyhow, gross, let’s rip it out.”

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure a quarter-bath is a full toilet but no sink. I guess you got the 1/8th bath.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
from the crappy construction thread:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

big dyke energy posted:

from the crappy construction thread:

I can’t believe people still do granite either

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have a padded mat and beanbag in the living room and take family naps on the floor, lol.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

peanut posted:

We have a padded mat and beanbag in the living room and take family naps on the floor, lol.

no furniture? looks like CHILD ABUSE to me!!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

PRADA SLUT posted:

Or, you just rent out a 10x10 flat, live your life in VR and you can have the McMansion of your dreams for pennies on the dollar

Just imagine how few material things you could get away with having in your echoingly empty white box of an apartment!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

no furniture? looks like CHILD ABUSE to me!!

There's a couch and a table right there, bro. Can you just not perceive furniture below a certain price point?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

surf rock posted:

If people want to recreate a little dive bar in their house, more power to them. I have a friend with a whole room set up as an art and sculpture gallery and another who has basically a trophy room for her comic and nerd stuff collection. I think it's stuff like that which helps to makes a house more like a home and less like a Pottery Barn catalog.

I too would love to have a space to work on/keep cars, a space for books and records/office and studio, and a room to keep lots of reptiles in. Even home theaters I can get behind for all that they often seem kind of excessive and overdone (like have a nice couch in your living room and get good curtains and then you can have your bigass TV or unobtrusive projector setup with some solid speakers that you’d probably have there anyway-without trying to recreate a tenth of an AMC in your basement. Everybody with a home theater room also has at least one screen + surround sound system elsewhere in their home that they probably use more often).

But aside from the obvious sexism behind the concept, the idea of a “dive bar in the house” seems so contrived as to be ridiculous. Like it’s a combination of a less useful secondary kitchen “except for the men to get away from their wives” and “a bar in the home” because going to a real bar where there are other humans is undesirable. And maybe it’s because I don’t drink but the idea of a “booze drinking room” that isn’t like mainly for wine/beer/liquor storage seems dumb as hell.

I’ve never been in a basement man cave bar that was ever used as a true entertaining space (because everybody hangs in the living room/kitchen) and so, unless you have teenagers who use the space to hang with their friends, they just end up being these really sad “no girls allowed” rooms that serve as like the tacky version of those pristine “entertaining rooms” that people were complaining about a few days ago. I mean, historically the idea was that the wife got to decorate 90% of the house and so the man cave was the place for Thud Mancake to hang his football jerseys and Lynyrd Skynyrd posters on the walls or whatever.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

What better to go in your man cave than the eponymous floor rug, lest anyone be unsure.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I too would love to have a space to work on/keep cars, a space for books and records/office and studio, and a room to keep lots of reptiles in. Even home theaters I can get behind for all that they often seem kind of excessive and overdone (like have a nice couch in your living room and get good curtains and then you can have your bigass TV or unobtrusive projector setup with some solid speakers that you’d probably have there anyway-without trying to recreate a tenth of an AMC in your basement. Everybody with a home theater room also has at least one screen + surround sound system elsewhere in their home that they probably use more often).

My home theater room is my main "TV", though I don't believe it's overdone. I have one other TV in a gym room that gets extremely low usage. There is no "public area" TV anywhere in my home.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bEatmstrJ posted:

My home theater room is my main "TV", though I don't believe it's overdone. I have one other TV in a gym room that gets extremely low usage. There is no "public area" TV anywhere in my home.

That puts you in the minority of people with dedicated home theater rooms.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

peanut posted:

asian_family_with_kids.jpg

my in laws just had an interlocking play mat delivered to my doorstep out of the blue “for later”. Didn’t think they could get any more direct, but they always surprise me.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Those foam puzzle mats get soooo much dust and crud static'd to the bottom omg.

We ate at that little kotatsu table in the corner for 7 years. Kotatsu are nice but having insulation and not requiring a kotatsu to survive winter is nicer.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Electric Bugaloo posted:

But aside from the obvious sexism behind the concept, the idea of a “dive bar in the house” seems so contrived as to be ridiculous. Like it’s a combination of a less useful secondary kitchen “except for the men to get away from their wives” and “a bar in the home” because going to a real bar where there are other humans is undesirable. And maybe it’s because I don’t drink but the idea of a “booze drinking room” that isn’t like mainly for wine/beer/liquor storage seems dumb as hell.

It makes sense if you're into mixology and don't want to be constantly cleaning your kitchen up and dodging all the specialized glassware and tools. I'd buy a house with one, but mostly just convert it to a brewing station.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Liquid Communism posted:

It makes sense if you're into mixology and don't want to be constantly cleaning your kitchen up and dodging all the specialized glassware and tools. I'd buy a house with one, but mostly just convert it to a brewing station.

Also, drinking at home is significantly less expensive than going to a bar.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

10 Beers posted:

Also, drinking at home is significantly less expensive than going to a bar.

Generally better, too, since bars charge you for the good alcohol and then use poo poo mixers.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

The only important thing is that it’s a space you will actually use. I dream of having a private listening room, which would be a huge waste for most people, but would be used by me daily.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Dave posted:

A kid I went to highschool with posted pictures of his proudly done man cave. Besides the term making me gag, the pictures make me go full-puke.

Just to be clear the top right is the edge of Nascar tires he has on the wall.

I’m the sagging, wrinkled jerseys, once laid upright and pristine, now a stale metaphor for aged masculine identity.

Or am I the white lace curtain over the door, forever a symbol of the matriarchal subduing of the man cave, being unable to enter or leave without traversing the oppressive veil of feminist control.

Perhaps I am the mirror, facing the less desirable seats not used by the patriarch, allowing their guests to reflect on themselves as to not become the bloated, sagging man on the other couch lying framed by dated sports players and their flaccid, lifeless skins.

Or maybe I’m the tiny cars pointing at the window, a path to escape the shackles of this life, and such tiny cars being child-sized, a desire to return to youth and freedom, absolving oneself from the responsibility and decisions which led to owning this room in the first place.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I really appreciate that they doubled down on the outright (Dolphins-branded) MAN CAVE label, both in the rug, and in the neon light on the wall.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

"Mixology" is an insult to actual disciplines.

Also, unless you keep a second dishwasher and/or sink in your man cave bar (plus a fridge for many kinds of mixers/add-ins), you still have to truck all of your specialized glassware and tools and stuff back-and-forth from the kitchen anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The garage is the OG Man Cave, anyway.