Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mezzanon posted:

please tell me how to access this feature

Go to the Journal and hit R

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skip tier 2 gear entirely. If you can get the thieves tips and tricks in Grandport youll have enough late game tear for your whole entourage

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Subjunctive posted:

All game RNGs have a seed, though?

True. I guess I mean a changing seed. Reloading and trying for 5 chances at 50% failing all of them. Reloading, failing 5 more. So it's not generating a seed when you load. Which means it's probably exploitable. Maybe.

With caits and bewildering being a thing nerds going to be looking to exploit it. Hard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

qbert posted:

Was thinking about tackling Runelord next. Does the above strat still work?

You can't reflect that boss's attacks. They're physical.

Barudak posted:

Skip tier 2 gear entirely. If you can get the thieves tips and tricks in Grandport youll have enough late game tear for your whole entourage

Yeah thieves tips and tricks helps a ton. Seems like I've been looking in the wrong places though :v: Totally skipping a gear tier sounds like fun, if nothing else, so I'll have to give that a shot.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Barudak posted:

Gear is arguably more important than levels, and this will set you up for late mid/early endgame, but it is also kinda disappointing when you do this early because every single weapon shop you hit afterwards will just be filled with useless garbage you won't care about and you don't get that sense of incremental improvement and excitement about what new upgrades lie in the next town.

I'm not at all criticizing anyone who decides they want to do it, because I did it myself and if you don't care about that then by all means do it, but I'm personally coming to the realization that I regret jumping so far ahead in the equipment department.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I also learned not to just hit that optimize button. It likes physical attacks more then elemental damage on staffs for example.

Higher level gear might not be better depending on build.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Gear is arguably more important than levels, and this will set you up for late mid/early endgame, but it is also kinda disappointing when you do this early because every single weapon shop you hit afterwards will just be filled with useless garbage you won't care about and you don't get that sense of incremental improvement and excitement about what new upgrades lie in the next town.

I'm not at all criticizing anyone who decides they want to do it, because I did it myself and if you don't care about that then by all means do it, but I'm personally coming to the realization that I regret jumping so far ahead in the equipment department.

Yeah, and I think there's a balance to strike. Sometimes I go to a weapon shop and see a bunch of upgrades that I can afford like one of, which is a different kind of disappointing, so I guess it's a question of whether I'd rather leapfrog the gear curve or feel like I'm always behind the gear curve.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The problem with starting with Olberic is that H'aanit feels just kinda poor. Her Summon is kinda troublesome to keep up with already, and she's decidedly less durable compared to Olberic or even Alfyn. Most of her skills aren't super good, so I've mostly just been using her as an Apothecary.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Harrow posted:

job combos

Thanks, this is helpful. A lot of it mirrors what I'm already doing but I'm about to have to switch to my B-Team for a while to even up the levels and I was still wondering how I was going to sort out who did what. I like the idea of Ophilia as a tanky healer although I also like Alfyn as a Warrior...and then there's also that I'd really like to make H'aanit a warrior too so not being able to just subclass 3/4 of the team as warriors is really annoying lol

Cyrus is my main and I've had trouble finding subjobs that I liked on him that didn't distract too much from him just blasting poo poo off the map with magic, but cleric is nice for holy damage; I'll probably swap him over to dancer for a while for the dark element when I put Ophilia back in rotation (and also I do love that he really wants to dance :3: he is the best boy)

I'm kinda figuring out my team rotations...
1. Cyrus (main) - the best boy. I'm almost tempted to just leave him non-subclassed until I get the advanced jobs b/c I just want him to always be blasting. I'm glad I started with him.

2. Therion - man I love stealing and hate not having him in the party so he's probably going to end up permanent, he's good support and right now I have him subclassed to Hunter so he also has good weapon coverage for breaking.

3. Olberic - also a very good boy, I'd way rather challenge than provoke in towns and omg he dominates for physical damage. Right now I have his 2nd job as Apothecary for HP + axes, and the skills are pretty handy for tough challenges too.

4/5. Tressa / Alfyn - I rank them about equal as far as utility and how much I want to rotate them in and out. Right now I have Tressa as Dancer and Alfyn as Warrior so if I'm facing a lot of wind-weak guys I reach for Tressa, and her support skills have nice variety and now that I'm starting to roll in money a bit more Hired Help is very handy. If I'm feeling kinda broke I also like taking her to beef up my wallet lol. I like using Alfyn as main healer + breaker with Concoct -- it's really handy for a lot of different situations, plus if I set him as a Warrior he can step in for Olberic as my primary physical damage dealer and tank a lot of hits with all those HP. Character-wise they both have kind of an aw-shucks bright-eyed wonder going on and I think that pairs well with 1-3 being older, more worldly, and jaded so I just like that party dynamic overall.

6. Ophilia - I'm still kinda neutral to meh on her, but it's nice to have a dedicated healer instead of taking another character's damage-dealing turns to heal everyone up. I'm doing her Ch2 next, so I may have more opinions on her after I use her more. She was the 2nd char I picked up and the Cyrus/Ophilia combo was really strong for the early game at least so I expect that will continue to hold true at least :shrug: She just seems very boring, personality wise.

7/8. Primrose / H'aanit - I am very meh on both of them at this point. H'aanit's beasts are annoying, it's a pain tot get the good ones and then I use them up and have to get more and UGH. So I barely use that, unless I just really need a weapon/element to break something and happen to have a beast for it. Bow coverage is easy to get on other characters, plus her dialogue is just obnoxious. I'm only going to use her when forced by story probably. Primrose is basically the same, she's not doing anything that other chars can't also do and I am really unimpressed by her storyline, like if Ch1 and 2 are the good parts and I found them super cringey I am not looking forward to the rest. I assume I'll be forced to Allure some folks for sidequests but I'm going to try to herd them with Ophilia first darn it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Try to not have a B team as you will need to powerlevel for the endgame. Also primrose having buffs, regenerating SP, and the second best elemental attack stat means she makes a great off caster or full buff monster. Haanit on the other hand naturally gets leghold trap which is crazy good ontop of how gosh darn good the other passive skills hunter gets at the start of the game are.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Harrow posted:

You can't reflect that boss's attacks. They're physical.

Ah whoops. Guess Starseer next it is!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can leghold trap all day w/hunter Therion though and then steal my way through every town :v: H'aanit was my 3rd character pickup and I kinda feel like once I got the rest of the chars she just felt really outclassed. Stat-wise Primrose might be decent but I dislike that whole revenge-sexpot type of character to begin with so I'm disinclined to use her unless I just absolutely have to.

My team slots are shaping up to be more like

A-team (Cyrus/Therion)
B-team (Oberic/Tressa/Alfyn/Ophilia) who swap in and out and keep their levels even
C-team (H'aanit/Primrose) ugh do I have to

e: I think I'll cross the end game bridge when I come to it. I'm still doing Ch2s right now so I don't really care about endgame utility it's more who is fun for me to run through these early/midgame stories. I'm also suspecting that if I don't let team C get TOO far behind then having one person in a party that has to be carried a bit by the other 3 can be dealt with easier than having 4 strong/4 weak. 

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 30, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haanit is probably the worst character in pure mechanical terms if only because her capturing monsters thing is both tedious and the payoff middling other than poisoning duels too high level for olberic. Ophelia and Primrose summon gets some extremely powerful people in the end game who can slather party wife multibuffs on you

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Natural leg trap goes a long way, especially if you want to fit in a Warmaster without sacrificing a hunter slot on someone else

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
H'aanit also has the issue where her Path skill is useless most of the time, and she has to directly compete with Olberic who is probably all around better at almost anything involving fighting.

So yeah I can see how people'd get soured off using her, especially considering the language in her chapters can be divisive.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

H'aanit also has the issue where her Path skill is useless most of the time, and she has to directly compete with Olberic who is probably all around better at almost anything involving fighting.

So yeah I can see how people'd get soured off using her, especially considering the language in her chapters can be divisive.

I think she would be easily outclassed by Olberic if it weren't for Leghold Trap, which is just a ridiculously useful skill against bosses (especially some really tough endgame bosses). Sure, you can just give someone else the Hunter second job, but there will definitely be fights where all your other characters are setup with something else, and because Warrior doesn't really have any crucial skills, it just makes sense to go with her + some other job.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

This guy's channel has some nice short vids with builds that do the big damage and also a few showing off some other things. There are late game and post game spoilers there though.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTEedtte4XYZwqbjQ1YoDUw

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

This guy's channel has some nice short vids with builds that do the big damage and also a few showing off some other things. There are late game and post game spoilers there though.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTEedtte4XYZwqbjQ1YoDUw

His Tressa Runelord video has me convinced to let Cyrus spend a little time as a Warmaster once I unlock Runelord. I can't imagine there's anyone better for actually using the elemental pursuits Runelord enables--nobody else is going to have Elemental Attack that high while using a job with all-hitting physical attacks.

Not sure if it's going to be better than Cyrus as a Sorcerer but "give the nerdy guy every weapon" is a gimmick I can get behind. Plus he has a cool Warmaster costume :v:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You should generally always equip a sub class on someone. Theres very little reason not to

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Harlock posted:

You should generally always equip a sub class on someone. Theres very little reason not to

The only reason is you only like their default outfit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harlock posted:

Yeah, it's just that the expected subjobs for someone like Cyrus are more caster-focused, like Sorcerer, rather than something that piles on weapon attacks, like Warmaster. Assuming my post is what you're responding to, anyway. Even if Sorcerer is a little duplicative with Scholar it's also just way better and Cyrus is a walking nuke with it. But making him a Warmaster to do huge damage with runic elemental pursuits is a hilarious gimmick to me.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

These drop rates for the Battle-tested gear are pretty unfortunate, but at least the setup for winning those fights first turn is pretty easy to set up provided you've hit mid 70s like me.

Regarding the channel I linked before and one of the videos already mentioned, I went through the list of weapons to see which ones increase damage for a particular element (apparently a 1.3x multiplier):

Fire: Harald's Sword, Heathcote's Dagger
Ice: Battle-tested Axe, Absolute Zero Staff
Lightning: Lizardking's Axe, Battle-tested Axe
Wind: Tradewinds Spear, Primeval Bow of Storms
Light: Bishop's Staff
Dark: Adamantine Dagger

Apparently these multipliers stack, too, so Lightning, Light, and Dark kinda get the short end of the stick here.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

DLC Inc posted:

eye for an eye picks the most recent equipped weapon for retaliation, right? was wondering if it tended to pick one that could Break enemies if possible.

It seems to use the weapon that's currently selected, unless you've used a skill that has a weapon type, in which case it uses the weapon of that type. For example, I select axe on H'aanit at the start of the fight but then use Leghold Trap, and she counters with the axe, but if I select axe and use Thousand Spears she counters with the spear. Every character starts with the same weapon selected at the start of each battle, so in a provoke fight H'aanit will always counter with a bow.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Warmaster is kicking my goddamn rear end. :( Think i'll come back later when I have more JP and can learn some Runemaster skills.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Is there a reason to use Arrowstorm over Arrow Rain on bosses? Does the former do more damage or guarantee more hits or something? I see guide videos and boss strats that always mention Arrowstorm.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

qbert posted:

Is there a reason to use Arrowstorm over Arrow Rain on bosses? Does the former do more damage or guarantee more hits or something? I see guide videos and boss strats that always mention Arrowstorm.

Besides hitting everything if there are adds, it seems to hit way more accurately. Like 3/4 are hits instead of 1/4 in my experience.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I just brutalized Ophilia's ch4 boss in a single guard break. Fight took less than 4 full turns. :black101:

Olberic warmaster
Tressa Runelord
Ophilia Sorcerer
Primrose Scholar

Tressa was transfer rune then 2bp light rune on the party, followed by normal attacks with a spear (rune glaive) for ~200ish with 9999 chasers.
Olberic taunted and then used liondog which ripped up a bunch of shields. Then in the break they used the warmaster divine for probably 45k+ damage even without a defense debuff.
Ophilia summoned a cleric NPC with deep breath (1500hp aoe heal, which I think it used every turn) and then used the sorcerer light skill for 15-16k damage, and her melee after that was 200ish with 9999 chasers.
Primrose buffed Ophilia's magic and then hit with her dagger and a 9999 chaser.

I was going to have Primrose dance once she had 3BP to spend but I forgot to do so at first. I remembered Ophilia finished off the boss but oh well.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I’m surprised nobody’s really mentioned the post-C4 side quests so far, they seem to be pretty good beyond just the rewards since they revisit a lot of the characters you’ve met in the previous chapters. Hooking up two people from the Chapter 1’s of Alfyn and Cyrus, hell yeah.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 30, 2018

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
What the HECK man now I know that's gonna happen :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I’m sorry about that! That’s my bad.

Edited in spoiler tags.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

These drop rates for the Battle-tested gear are pretty unfortunate, but at least the setup for winning those fights first turn is pretty easy to set up provided you've hit mid 70s like me.

The 10* guy in Bolderfall goes down in a couple rounds to my Olberic (warmaster) and he's only in the mid-50s. Though single round wins are nice too. Shame you have to leave and come back or reload to duel again though since that'll be the bulk of time spent/wasted if anyone grinds for those drops.

That sword says 'augments physical' but it doesn't give you the atk/def buffs like you get from skills (or the warmaster passive) so I guess whatever it does stacks because with ~810 atk Olberic hits for over 1500 dmg even when an enemy's defense isn't broken. And his sword hit in the warmaster divine skill does 9999 consistently.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tressa chapter 4: BITCH DONE STOLE MY JOURNAL

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mega64 posted:

I’m surprised nobody’s really mentioned the post-C4 side quests so far, they seem to be pretty good beyond just the rewards since they revisit a lot of the characters you’ve met in the previous chapters. Hooking up two people from the Chapter 1’s of Alfyn and Cyrus, hell yeah.

Well, for me (Alfyn post-C4 spoiler) Ogen disappeared after his cutscene, and I now can't find him anywhere. I double-checked that he's not being guided or allured, so... no idea.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Well, for me (Alfyn post-C4 spoiler) Ogen disappeared after his cutscene, and I now can't find him anywhere. I double-checked that he's not being guided or allured, so... no idea.

He should be one screen north at the grave by the church.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a list of places to inquire at to get the steal/inquire/etc improvements?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

redreader posted:

Is there a list of places to inquire at to get the steal/inquire/etc improvements?

Theyre only in towns those characters visit for plot reasons. The only one that truly matters is grandport, on the first screen there is a guy guarding a house. Beat him up, inquire on the lady within, steal everything in grandport and dont deal with purchasing new gear till endgame.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Barudak posted:

Theyre only in towns those characters visit for plot reasons. The only one that truly matters is grandport, on the first screen there is a guy guarding a house. Beat him up, inquire on the lady within, steal everything in grandport and dont deal with purchasing new gear till endgame.

Therion never has to visit Grandport though, and there's also none in his Ch4 town (as far as I know)

redreader posted:

For stealing bonuses: Woman who welcomes you to Boulderfall, guy in the house next to the Tavern in Wellspring (you have to beat up a guard outside the house first), man with a feathered cap next to some kids in Noblecourt, and the one mentioned above.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BP Eater is ridiculous. Therion did probably 75-80k damage to the boss of H'annit's ch4 story with the warmaster divine skill. Every hit was for 12-16k damage (except rod for 10.5k) and the boss didn't even have a defense debuff on it. Only have Primrose's ch4 left to go but I got the xp and jp up accessories, and prioritized Ophilia's story when I saw they existed and use those alongside the passive skills so random encounters are giving upwards of 1500xp and 500jp so everyone's been leveling nicely. H'aanit is the lowest at 53 and everyone else is 55-62 now.

I also didn't realize stats cap at 999 until I gave Primrose all my caster gear (which included element augmentors that she's not using now).

Barudak posted:

This is wrong.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Most of the path actions are fairly similar to each other but it's kinda silly how much better Challenge is compared to Provoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

Most of the path actions are fairly similar to each other but it's kinda silly how much better Challenge is compared to Provoke.

Inquire is better than Scrutinize if you have the levels for it.

Steal and Purchase are pretty close; if the Steal chance is high enough, Stealing is much better. If you have the cash (and Tressa does), Purchase has no risk.

But yes, I agree. Challenge is way better than Provoke, because Olberic can use his attack and his subjob.