Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Len posted:

I remember being 16 and thinking my hard work mattered. My lovely job would call and go "hey someone called off can you come in?" Or ask if I could stay late and I did because my parents swore the hard work would be noticed and it would lead to good things.

Then I got my first evaluation and it last a minute and consisted of the manager going "you're an average worker you get a 5 cent raise" and just like that I didn't give a poo poo anymore. I was now making 5.80 an hour oh boy howdy let me just be ecstatic

otoh I did this poo poo at my first real job at loving 24 years old and got promoted to a supervisor position after 4 months :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Len posted:

I remember being 16 and thinking my hard work mattered. My lovely job would call and go "hey someone called off can you come in?" Or ask if I could stay late and I did because my parents swore the hard work would be noticed and it would lead to good things.

Then I got my first evaluation and it last a minute and consisted of the manager going "you're an average worker you get a 5 cent raise" and just like that I didn't give a poo poo anymore. I was now making 5.80 an hour oh boy howdy let me just be ecstatic

We weren't supposed to talk about our hourly pay at my old job and managers were supposed to discourage associates from talking about it. I got written up as a manager for encouraging the high school kids to tell each other what they made so they could figure out who had the highest and argue during their performance reviews that was the rate everyone deserved

"But Skypie, why would you want them to band together like that?!"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Animated Nerd posted:

I used to see this four or five times a day and it makes me mad every time. But not right now, we are on strike. No war but class war!

https://www.fishphilosophy.com

It's loving terrible bullshit about getting your employees to enjoy working and work harder.

Skypie posted:

We weren't supposed to talk about our hourly pay at my old job and managers were supposed to discourage associates from talking about it. I got written up as a manager for encouraging the high school kids to tell each other what they made so they could figure out who had the highest and argue during their performance reviews that was the rate everyone deserved

Information wants to be free!

I bet HR departments hate salary comparison sites.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skypie posted:

And then you get things like my ex who flipped poo poo and got legitimately angry for days that I got a ten cent cost of living raise.

"I've worked here for years and you only make 20 cents less than me? That's loving bullshit and you know it." Like it was my fault that happened

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!

Outrail posted:

It's loving terrible bullshit about getting your employees to enjoy working and work harder.

Yup, good old FISH! philosophy. This one is posted on the door to the front too.

It's also used in schools!

We get to do the FISH work shop along with "Give 'em the pickle" at our (no poo poo) "Corporate Compliance Training" every year. At the end we get to take the pickle pledge, "I will turn every complaint into either a blessing or a constructive suggestion. By taking the pickle pledge, I am promising myself that I will no longer waste my time and energy by criticizing and complaining, nor will I commiserate with those who seek to steal my energy with theirs criticizing and complaining." Don't get me wrong I like my job just fine but the suits are all jackasses.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I remember give them the pickle from my teenage grocery store job.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Animated Nerd posted:

Yup, good old FISH! philosophy. This one is posted on the door to the front too.

We get to do the FISH work shop along with "Give 'em the pickle" at our (no poo poo) "Corporate Compliance Training" every year. At the end we get to take the pickle pledge, "I will turn every complaint into either a blessing or a constructive suggestion. By taking the pickle pledge, I am promising myself that I will no longer waste my time and energy by criticizing and complaining, nor will I commiserate with those who seek to steal my energy with theirs criticizing and complaining." Don't get me wrong I like my job just fine but the suits are all jackasses.

Lol of course this FISH thing started in Seattle.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Len posted:

And then you get things like my ex who flipped poo poo and got legitimately angry for days that I got a ten cent cost of living raise.

"I've worked here for years and you only make 20 cents less than me? That's loving bullshit and you know it." Like it was my fault that happened

This is kinda what spurred me to make them talk. One of the high school kids had been working there longer than someone else but was making less than her. So I told him to start asking everyone and there wasn't really any rhyme or reason to what they made since the merit raises were determined by whoever did the performance reviews.

Speaking of payment, when we were negotiating our new contract last year, the corporate dude basically said he wanted to bring in facility electricians that would basically be cheap labor. He wanted them to do lights and receptacles because "I really don't see why we should pay someone $30/hr for that stuff."

Our union lawyer shot back, "well we pay the outside guys $34 an hour for that every day. Maybe we could talk about it from that angle instead." And the corporate dude dropped it. Naturally, this idea of paying a completely new persons salary came on the heels of saying "there's no many for raises"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Jimmy Hats posted:

If we get a venusian atmosphere we'll all evolve into sexy babes

the future will be... hot

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Animated Nerd posted:

I used to see this four or five times a day and it makes me mad every time. But not right now, we are on strike. No war but class war!

One of the best choices I made at my new job was to not becomes outside-of-work friends with anyone.

That probably makes me sound like some old curmudgeon, but it is nice having work life and home life completely independent from each other.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
I'm an rear end manager at Walgreens and it blows. Here's some recent corporate communication.

Happy Mothers Day! "Sorry" you have to work.

Volunteer your biological information to giant heartless corporations for....some reason?

Get a "degree" from a "college" to help your "career"

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Fashionable Jorts posted:

That probably makes me sound like some old curmudgeon, but it is nice having work life and home life completely independent from each other.

Yeah I'm 100% the same

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Skypie posted:

"there's no many for raises"

Love this one. We got this line and then they immediately renovated the other end of the building and hired a dozen engineers

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I'm an rear end manager at Walgreens and it blows. Here's some recent corporate communication.

As hosed as all the rest is I don't really have a problem with this. They're not trying to spin it or anything, it's about as close to 'It's mother's day and you're either working and you don't feel you should be, or you have to put up with being understaffed, that sucks, sorry.' as they can get. I wouldn't throw myself to my knees in supplication to my benevolent overlords or anything but at least they're acknowledging the situation without being overly patronizing so it's better than nothing. Maybe I just try to see the good in faceless soulless corporate monsters.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I worked at a Good Christian daycare for a bit and they were basically using the daycare to funnel funds into the church.

There was a playground fund to get an actual fence and equipment instead of having the playground run against and even include part of the parking lot. That went to recarpeting the sanctuary.
The ceiling leaked which "is totally normal with the style roof we have. it's going to happen there's nothing to do about it just put a bucket under the drip and don't let kids play in it"
They got this fancy electric sign and then fired three people because they didn't have the money.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Animated Nerd posted:

Jesus Christ, I’d be fired so fast.

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Jesus Christ, I’d be fired so fast.

Thankfully it's a union shop, even if they have us do this BS we have our rights and can't be fired on a whim. We all complain and commiserate.

Add me into having real friends and work friends. One I go party with, the other I go to the company Christmas party with.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Skypie posted:

This is kinda what spurred me to make them talk. One of the high school kids had been working there longer than someone else but was making less than her. So I told him to start asking everyone and there wasn't really any rhyme or reason to what they made since the merit raises were determined by whoever did the performance reviews.

I caught my company out because they had a written policy of "don't ever tell your compensation to anyone, especially not your coworkers" and I was like "lol that's illegal as gently caress" (through anonymous channels, because gently caress if I'm attaching my name to that) and then a little bit later it mysteriously changed to "it's rude to tell your compensation to your coworkers"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Huh that's illegal? Every place I've worked has stressed that it's against policy to ever tell your coworkers how much you make.

Hell my friend just got promoted to salaried management at the place we work and was flat out told "you make more than some of the other people in your position don't tell anyone how much you make"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

Huh that's illegal? Every place I've worked has stressed that it's against policy to ever tell your coworkers how much you make.

Hell my friend just got promoted to salaried management at the place we work and was flat out told "you make more than some of the other people in your position don't tell anyone how much you make"

Yeah it is but as you see lol at the enforcement.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
My boss directly insults my co-workers but he really likes me. I think it's because I'm smiley, simple, and walk fast. I throw away so much product, I steal so much time, but is it enough?? It's never enough.

Telephones has issued a correction as of 03:01 on Jul 31, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
only cowards refuse to talk about how much they make especially if it's to coworkers

feller
Jul 5, 2006

DorkusMalorkus posted:

The northern operation COVP is a dick

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Len posted:

They make company policy about it because they don't want the worker drones conspiring together for better wages. But there's no legal basis for it being punishable so they just make vague threats and assume people will be too scared to press the issue.

And it works. A lot of people are afraid of having something on their record at a job. Few people will stand up for themselves.

DorkusMalorkus posted:

Ah man this reminds me of when I worked a powerhouse job a couple years ago. They had a Sunday overtime shift on Mothers Day and I declined to come in. Some fuckhead was like "why aren't you coming in?" I explained cuz it was Mother's Day and he says "oh well, you shouldn't celebrate these hallmark holidays you know. I make sure my mom knows every day I appreciate her! You should too and come in to work!"

I then told him that my dad just died and it was gonna be the first time my mom didn't have him around for Mothers Day gifts and that if he thought I was gonna put work over emotionally supporting my mom, he could kindly suck the poo poo straight from my rear end in a top hat

Skypie has issued a correction as of 03:10 on Jul 31, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I mean I'm in Ohio where I can be fired for literally any reason so I always assumed that was punishable

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

They'd probably make some excuse that you were causing dissent or lowering staff morale and can you.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Communist Walrus posted:

I work in government and a surprising number of my coworkers are content with working uncompensated hours on a regular basis. I know people who routinely stay until 7:00 or 7:30 in the evening--sometimes later--and think that filing for the overtime or comp time that they are legally owed is some kind of admission of weakness, a sign of entitlement, and/or a mark against one's character. The same ethic has created an environment where leaving at 5:00 is taken as an indication you aren't working hard or don't have enough to do. Hooray for capitalism's creeping colonization of the public sector workspace, I guess.

I'm pretty sure this was brought up in Snowcrash, along with government employees judging one another for being overweight because it would drive the insurance premiums up

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

I mean I'm in Ohio where I can be fired for literally any reason so I always assumed that was punishable

The NLRB says you can't punish someone for discussing compensation with other employees, but most companies get around this by still having that rule written down and then if they're called on it go "whoopsie daisy that's unenforceable sowwy uwu" and find some completely unrelated but I'm sure totally valid reason to fire you.

If they gently caress up and actually list in writing that you were fired or punished due to discussing your compensation with your coworkers then you can take that poo poo to the NLRB but unless you work for an absolutely idiotic company they'll never do that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I'm pretty sure this was brought up in Snowcrash, along with government employees judging one another for being overweight because it would drive the insurance premiums up

I knew someone from the UK who hated that his tax money he paid into the NHS "had" to go to pay for those freeloading people who "chose" to do things like smoke or overeat and that the US system was much better because he thought they just don't get insurance and die, which they deserve. People are real hosed up sometimes.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

I knew someone from the UK who hated that his tax money he paid into the NHS "had" to go to pay for those freeloading people who "chose" to do things like smoke or overeat and that the US system was much better because he thought they just don't get insurance and die, which they deserve. People are real hosed up sometimes.

yeah gently caress all those kids born with genetic defects or maimed in tragic accidents, where the gently caress are there bootstraps?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

autism ZX spectrum posted:

yeah gently caress all those kids born with genetic defects or maimed in tragic accidents, where the gently caress are there bootstraps?

Eugenics is popular for a reason.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Outrail posted:

Information wants to be free!

I bet HR departments hate salary comparison sites.

Edit: I guess I’m just jealous I didn’t think of this first

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Araenna posted:

How many of your colleagues do the same thing? Is it a general policy? Or left to discretion? I tried contacting some lines last year, but finding any that could understand the fear as a trans person of being committed was really hard. And I was afraid to talk further because I didn't trust they'd understand how much worse being committed could make things for me. Nowadays I have a therapist and psychiatrist to advocate for me, so I wouldn't worry as much. But the idea as a non-binary person of being committed against my will, was more terrifying than dying at that point.

Especially in cases with trans individuals and people of color, we are very very cognizant of the fact that police are the absolute final resort and that the potential repercussions of hospitalization are especially severe. I can't speak for other call centers, of course, but during our training, this was something they really didn't take lightly.

Also, I absolutely believe you regarding that lack of understanding. That's immensely frustrating, and I'm going to bring up your point with my coworkers this week just as a reminder.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Animated Nerd posted:

We get to do the FISH work shop along with "Give 'em the pickle" at our (no poo poo) "Corporate Compliance Training" every year.

Weird i figure i'd be fired if i was caught "giving the pickle" while at work i guess you corporate people just live in a whole different world.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Elfgames posted:

Weird i figure i'd be fired if i was caught "giving the pickle" while at work i guess you corporate people just live in a whole different world.

Lol metoo friend

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Animated Nerd posted:

the jackasses who write this drivel get paid more than anyone posting itt

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
the funny thing is apart from like the two office sycophants who will snitch on you for talkin bad, i have never heard of anyone valuing a PD session like that

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mizuti posted:

Seen outside an Apple store after Steve Jobs died:

A classic where it's easy to forget how insanely hosed up it is

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Animated Nerd posted:

IT'S AN INVITATION TO QUIT YOUR JOB AND GO FISHING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

dee eight posted:

IT'S AN INVITATION TO QUIT YOUR JOB AND GO FISHING!

Animated Nerd posted:

It took me a while to realize this wasn’t encouraging people to quit their jobs