Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rocket Chat seems like so much of a Slack clone that it should be illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

My gripe with Teams or Slack is the awful electron app.

100% CPU. Drains my laptop battery on a 4-Core i7 fans full speed.

To send text messages.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I run three different electron apps essentially constantly and don't have that problem.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

My gripe with Teams or Slack is the awful electron app.

100% CPU. Drains my laptop battery on a 4-Core i7 fans full speed.

To send text messages.

I definitely 100% do not have that problem.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

/shrug

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
also adding that we've integrated a chat app into our workflow and it's so good. It's great having a platform for one line questions that want one line answers or for open forums on things.

Chat apps aren't going anywhere.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Thanks Ants posted:

Rocket Chat seems like so much of a Slack clone that it should be illegal
Eh, Slack is just IRC with a modern GUI, so I'm not terribly interested in complaining about the copy of the copy.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Eh, Slack is just IRC with a modern GUI, so I'm not terribly interested in complaining about the copy of the copy.

This is reductionist to an absurd degree.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
RIP in peace HipChat and Stride.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Job chat: I've been offered a roll with a local hospital group. Good bump in pay, benefits, close to my old job (~5min commute change). The real concern to me is jumping from a rather laid back company to healthcare.I'd be trading a office and jeans/tshirt for cubicles and business casual. The upside is: amazing team members and boss. I'm meeting with them again today to discuss the role, team, and overall fit. Any gotcha's specific to healthcare I should watch out for?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

the spyder posted:

Job chat: I've been offered a roll with a local hospital group. Good bump in pay, benefits, close to my old job (~5min commute change). The real concern to me is jumping from a rather laid back company to healthcare.I'd be trading a office and jeans/tshirt for cubicles and business casual. The upside is: amazing team members and boss. I'm meeting with them again today to discuss the role, team, and overall fit. Any gotcha's specific to healthcare I should watch out for?

Kaiser? brioche? Dinner? Onion? Be specific please.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

the spyder posted:

It moves slow as gently caress. If you like that, great. They are always behind in technology and honestly are probably the last adopters of it.

Its steady and predictable though which some people really like.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Matt Zerella posted:

Kaiser? brioche? Dinner? Onion? Be specific please.

He said healthcare so obviously kaiser

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I have really strong feelings about software that allows people to broadcast dumb opinions

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Paul ReiserFS posted:

He said healthcare so obviously kaiser

:cheers:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

I have really strong feelings about software that allows people to broadcast dumb opinions

vBulletin 2.2.9 Released
Mon 18th Nov '02, 12:55pm

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’m seriously considering taking FMLA for a month or so. Get to the doctors more than I can now (pretty much out of PTO), have more time to study and job hunt, while still having health insurance.

Is that a terrible idea? My mental health has been going way downhill, but I hate the idea of burning through what little savings I have. On the other hand, if I’m not mood swinging like crazy all the time I can be more productive.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m seriously considering taking FMLA for a month or so. Get to the doctors more than I can now (pretty much out of PTO), have more time to study and job hunt, while still having health insurance.

Is that a terrible idea? My mental health has been going way downhill, but I hate the idea of burning through what little savings I have. On the other hand, if I’m not mood swinging like crazy all the time I can be more productive.

I sympathize because I went through a similar thought process at my last job. You really need to double check and make sure that FMLA covers the mental issues that you're having. At least here where I live there's only a few medical issues that qualify and even then the max coverage is 60% of your base pay.

How aggressive are you being in your job hunt? I'm kind of reading in between the lines but I'm getting the impression that you mental health issues are a result of your current job, correct?

Personally I would just redouble your efforts to get into another job and avoid taking a financial hit if at all possible. I know it's tough, but if you have good leads try and stick it out until you get a better offer.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

the spyder posted:

What would you be doing for the hospital? There are vastly different pitfalls for each type of role that you should be aware of.

Anything answering phones will see you getting chewed out and spoken down to by doctors, which can be demoralizing unless you have that precious switch in your head that stops caring instantly.

System and network support involves a lot of on-call and after hours work, as anything even remotely impacting the environment is too high risk for a business hours change. God forbid the thing you know most about breaks at 11 pm, as you'll be working a 24 hour shift to resolve root cause before shareholders catch wind of what happened. This can be fine if you don't have a family and can have fun with goofy comp hours now and then.

Management is the end of work life balance as you know it. Everything is more important than you, so get to it immediately and forever. If you love working more than breathing, you'll love it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I sympathize because I went through a similar thought process at my last job. You really need to double check and make sure that FMLA covers the mental issues that you're having. At least here where I live there's only a few medical issues that qualify and even then the max coverage is 60% of your base pay.

How aggressive are you being in your job hunt? I'm kind of reading in between the lines but I'm getting the impression that you mental health issues are a result of your current job, correct?

Personally I would just redouble your efforts to get into another job and avoid taking a financial hit if at all possible. I know it's tough, but if you have good leads try and stick it out until you get a better offer.

It would be completely unpaid, which really loving sucks.

I've had the mental issues for well over half my life now and I get enough treatment for it already that it qualifies. My mental health problems are being made significantly worse by the job. I'm going to try to get to a GP as soon as possible to get checked out and see if there's anything physical making it worse.

I'm trying to get into Linux stuff now but I have barely any Linux experience, so it's going to be tough. Unless I go for something for a short term, keep looking, and say it just wasn't a good fit.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I felt pretty dumb when I had to learn about windows 10 snipping tool from this thread, which I now use all the time, but I also learned today that xbox app has a built in recording tool on the game bar you can pull up with Win+G you can use with pretty much anything as long as you pinky swear to windows your recording a game (and not some copyrighted content).

I spent some downtime today capturing random American Dad clips and sending over messenger.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

I felt pretty dumb when I had to learn about windows 10 snipping tool from this thread, which I now use all the time, but I also learned today that xbox app has a built in recording tool on the game bar you can pull up with Win+G you can use with pretty much anything as long as you pinky swear to windows your recording a game (and not some copyrighted content).

I spent some downtime today capturing random American Dad clips and sending over messenger.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

the spyder posted:

It really depends on where in healthcare you are talking. If it is actual medical care/hospitals it is miserable and extremely stressful. Chances are you will also be supporting outdated equipment and software that is cobbled together on a shoestring budget. If you are doing any direct communications with users prepare to deal with some of the largest egos you have ever seen because as every one knows doctors are assholes. You may also get calls for support that are literally a matter of life or death. When I was on the help desk I ended up getting a call where a doctor had a patient open on the table and the Medical Imaging software crashed so they could no longer see the patient's images for the surgery they were performing. We didn't get those calls all the time but when we did it was terrifying.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

My general impression of healthcare IT is that there's Kaiser, and then there's seven varieties of hell. This is backed up by some Bay Area job satisfaction surveys and one guy I know who contracted at Kaiser for about a year. Plus, y'know, reading these threads.

A good team fit however, is almost as valuable as cash money, possibly more so if you're in a growing stage of your career.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. I would be the lead storage engineer which is right up my alley. It's a local hospital group, non profit, 8 sites + 70 ish branch. Very good team fit, skills fit, career path/growth opportunities, great benefits, some kind of pension, WFH, flex schedule. Without a doubt there will be moments where everything breaks and I will have to be on call. I had a great talk with the team lead/manager today and if everything works out I'm planning on joining them in September. Taking a few weeks off between roles (which they understand/support) to unwind and reset. My mental health has been diminishing with the current gig and I need a change, it may move slower- but I'm ok with that until I figure out what direction I want to go.

*Related- I ended up in another hospital chain last week due to dehydration (stupid me) and in making small talk, the nurse mentioned how nice the group I'm looking at are to work for. A friends sister who is a nurse repeated the same thing tonight. Another car-friends wife just retired after 18 years there and loved it. If it were any other group, I wouldn't be thinking about it.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Healthcare sounds a lot like working in prison (which I do to explain why that's relevant, heh...)

24/7 operation, sometimes you just have to go do stuff before someone does something life threatening. Quite slow and a lot of red tape. Plus the officer types all think they are some kind of higher being than you.

I love it but it's not for everyone. You have to be able to not care about all that stuff and then it's just normal IT after that.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Today I need to discuss food traceability on blockchain with our CFO, so I can then discuss it with our CEO and COO.

:suicide:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mllaneza posted:

My general impression of healthcare IT is that there's Kaiser, and then there's seven varieties of hell. This is backed up by some Bay Area job satisfaction surveys and one guy I know who contracted at Kaiser for about a year. Plus, y'know, reading these threads.

We had KP for a client and those fuckers required IE6 support FOR loving EVER

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Today I need to discuss food traceability on blockchain with our CFO, so I can then discuss it with our CEO and COO.

:suicide:

I thought that blockchain was perfectly serviceable for supply-chain management?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought that blockchain was perfectly serviceable for supply-chain management?

This is literally the worst usage for blockchain and it also won't loving work any better than other traceability methods because most companies have a broken as gently caress process to track components through the supply chain.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
I too like my databases to be slow.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
but i read a forbes article

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

This is literally the worst usage for blockchain and it also won't loving work any better than other traceability methods because most companies have a broken as gently caress process to track components through the supply chain.

Bingo. Especially given we are in seafood so the idea that some of stuff we import from places like Vietnam or Colombia are going to look at the blockchain anytime soon is :lol:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vargatron posted:

I'll admit I'm not really conversant with supply side stuff, so I'll defer to those more knowledgeable.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thom and the Heads posted:

but i read a forbes article

Fishcoin.co

I poo poo you not

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Proteus Jones posted:

I'll admit I'm not really conversant with supply side stuff, so I'll defer to those more knowledgeable.

Basically what you're trying to do with traceability is track "x goes into y" at every stage of the process so that if your finished good has a defect, you can trace back down to see which raw materials were in the FG. For example, if there was a defect in a plastic part, you could go back and say "oh okay, these were made with this particular lot of resin, so we need to quarantine all parts that were made with it". The other part of this is that you are giving your customers the information to facilitate their traceability process as well. In theory, if your car has a part that has failed, the car company should be able to trace that back to the raw material supplier in China if needed.

In terms of the supply side of things, you might go to your raw material vendor and say "we need these three pieces of information in this barcode format" because you'll be scanning that into whatever traceability system you have at your facility. Or you could be back in the 1980s and simply write everything down, but this is not a very good way to handle things in the face of current technology.

Blockchain doesn't make any sense in the above example because the system would essentially have to be implemented across every step of the supply chain. Can you reasonably expect 8 different companies to adopt the exact same system? Blockchain also assumes that companies have zero trust in each other and therefore needs the transactions to be held in a neutral ledger. This simply doesn't reflect how business is conducted in the real world. Now you could argue that there's nothing preventing a supplier from faking or changing traceability data, but if this happens and they are caught, they will lose business and be fined.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

There is literally nothing that is improved by adding blockchain. Nothing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The economy of Mongolia

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Today is the last day of the month, so the first month with the new ticketing system will end today. I’m very close o 420 tickets. Should I get there and then avoid closing anything else for the rest of the day y/n?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

WHAT ABOUT AI