Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Elfgames posted:

Weird i figure i'd be fired if i was caught "giving the pickle" while at work i guess you corporate people just live in a whole different world.

"What about the pickle slicer??"

"They fired her, too."

dad joke snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
That FISH philosophy bullshit is dreamed up and revered by the same HR types who cheerfully use "drink the Kool-Aid" as if it were a positive thing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Howard Beale posted:

That FISH philosophy bullshit is dreamed up and revered by the same HR types who cheerfully use "drink the Kool-Aid" as if it were a positive thing

One time the project manager of a team I was helping out on playfully got me a packet of kool-aid cuz I had officially been "inducted" onto her team.

I responded with "um actually Jonestown used Flavor-Aid" cuz I'm an enormous dork
:goonsay:

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I was denied unemployment after getting laid off from a full time job because I was taking a single college class while working full time.

The unemployment people actually told me that I would have to withdraw from my class in the middle of the semester in order to be eligible for unemployment benefits or else I'm just a 'student'.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I've been going to interviews for a marketing company recently, they explained that they had a new HQ and are looking for people who can manage the new expansions etc. After inviting me back twice because I 'progressed to the next interview stage', they have revealed that the work will be door to door fundraising. I need my own business number because I will be hired as an independent contractor, and the pay is 100% commission so I might make zero dollars in a bad week. I get the feeling that they have very fast turnover, but I can't afford to be picky right now because I've had no other job offers.

e: Also, the HR person who set up my interview referred to the guy who interviewed me by the wrong name, he was an asian man, and based on their business facebook page she is in a few photos with another asian guy, so it suddenly feels like everyone is very replaceable and it isn't worth learning names.

TheMostFrench has issued a correction as of 08:34 on Jul 31, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TheMostFrench posted:

I've been going to interviews for a marketing company recently, they explained that they had a new HQ and are looking for people who can manage the new expansions etc. After inviting me back twice because I 'progressed to the next interview stage', they have revealed that the work will be door to door fundraising. I need my own business number because I will be hired as an independent contractor, and the pay is 100% commission so I might make zero dollars in a bad week. I get the feeling that they have very fast turnover, but I can't afford to be picky right now because I've had no other job offers.

e: Also, the HR person who set up my interview referred to the guy who interviewed me by the wrong name, he was an asian man, and based on their business facebook page she is in a few photos with another asian guy, so it suddenly feels like everyone is very replaceable and it isn't worth learning names.

Get out, it's not worth it. If you don't you'll wind up in the same situation in 1-2 months time with a whole load of additional stress as a bonus.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

TheMostFrench posted:

Welcome to Cutco.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Rarity posted:

Get out, it's not worth it. If you don't you'll wind up in the same situation in 1-2 months time with a whole load of additional stress as a bonus.

I got scooped into one of these scams a few years back, it's very likely that the product they want you to sell doesn't even exist and their company is nothing but a front to take as many people off jobseekers as possible and pocketing the gov't bonus for doing so, about a year after the DWP asked me to be a witness against them.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

TheMostFrench posted:

You would be better off applying to McDonalds and working your way up to managerial position than being a literal door-to-door 100% commission salesman.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Len posted:

Huh that's illegal? Every place I've worked has stressed that it's against policy to ever tell your coworkers how much you make.

Hell my friend just got promoted to salaried management at the place we work and was flat out told "you make more than some of the other people in your position don't tell anyone how much you make"

Pssst, they were lying to him. He actually gets paid less.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pound_Coin posted:

I got scooped into one of these scams a few years back, it's very likely that the product they want you to sell doesn't even exist and their company is nothing but a front to take as many people off jobseekers as possible and pocketing the gov't bonus for doing so, about a year after the DWP asked me to be a witness against them.

This is amazing

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Away all Goats posted:

You would be better off applying to McDonalds and working your way up to managerial position than being a literal door-to-door 100% commission salesman.

How is poo poo like this even legal when there's the minimum wage?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Rarity posted:

The magic words are independent contractor which means you're an employee but also you have literally zero legal rights.

You also get to pay the government tax at the end of the year instead of getting a refund.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Well it's no big deal because they said they would call me back after today's interview if I was 'successful'. Since they haven't I guess I wasn't, maybe because when they asked me what kind of things I was looking for I thought of this thread and said 'job security'.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
you dodged a bullet son

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Pirate Radar posted:

This is amazing

The place I went through was selling "cleaning services" to estate agents and the like, they were taking on a minimum of 30 people each week, I spoke to a couple of people there that I knew from the JSA group previous to the referral, who did bother to go out and try to sell things (I didn't) and apparently they were getting chased out of every estate agent as soon as they opened their mouths because at least 20 other loving people had come in that same day

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

The magic words are independent contractor which means you're an employee but also you have literally zero legal rights.

You also get to pay the government tax at the end of the year instead of getting a refund.

This happened to my fiancee a few years ago. She took a job working as a pet groomer at a small vet clinic. Instead of filing her as an hourly employee, they 1099'd her. She didn't think it was a big deal so didn't tell me til tax time came around.

She ended up owing like $800 in taxes and that was when I learned they'd filed her as "independent contractor" and told her that was total bullshit. The clinic owner apparently wouldn't budge on just making her an hourly employee so she ended up leaving for a different job.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2tJCkNsgYc

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress "independent contracting" is the absolute worst bullshit. We had a telco that was privatized at the very tail end of the analog era, which has now been bought by Bell. It's been steadily getting shittier since privatization. Used to be they had a fleet of service vehicles, but I think now only the linesman have service vans and I think that's only because it would be impossible to force someone to buy a cherrypicker van. It's pretty clear the service techs are ~independent contractors~ now because they're using personal vehicles to get around. I can't imagine being forced to drive your own loving vehicle all day, every day instead of a fleet truck. You're actively taking a pay cut that way because of parts/maintenance.

A fire alarm company in town tried to pull that poo poo too. Hired the guys on as contractors and then charged them to use the vans. One guy I know had his lovely never maintained van blow the engine in the first week and they tried to stiff him with the bill.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

It has it's place - there are actual small businesses that could use various abilities in a small capacity, or can bring in enough business to add a full time hand, but don't generate enough cash to support full benefits and the like

Usually what happens though is scumbags aren't honest about it so they use it to take advantage of people and/or are unable to view their employees as human beings

Crazyweasel has issued a correction as of 11:21 on Jul 31, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Pssst, they were lying to him. He actually gets paid less.

Oh probably but at the same time I've worked enough places where people fresh off the street start higher than people who had been there for years it could go either way

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Crazyweasel posted:

It has it's place - there are actual small businesses that could use various abilities in a small capacity, or can bring in enough business to add a full time hand, but don't generate enough cash to support full benefits and the like

Usually what happens though is scumbags aren't honest about it so they use it to take advantage of people and/or are unable to view their employees as human beings

Yeah that's what it's supposed to be, but that's not what it is 99% of the time. That poo poo should be illegal.

On that note, there's a taxi driver strike going on in Spain right now. They're protesting against Uber, demanding that they follow the loving law (the nerve!). Also they're blocking a lot of main streets. This is Barcelona:

And Madrid:

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

good gently caress uber pay your employees

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Len posted:

And then you get things like my ex who flipped poo poo and got legitimately angry for days that I got a ten cent cost of living raise.

"I've worked here for years and you only make 20 cents less than me? That's loving bullshit and you know it." Like it was my fault that happened

My last job I was at I found out I was only a few thousand behind a lady who worked there a decade. Granted she got hired as the recession hit and I came in when things were picking up. But still it seems like most raises are only to keep pace with inflation so unless you've climbed the ladder you aren't going to be much better off from the new hires.

The way raises went was bullshit too. Each product line had it's own engineering group and budget. So if you worked on a profitable product line you'd stand to get more in raises. My first raise was 5%. I asked around and the guy working on the most profitable line got 10% raise, another guy got 3%. The guy who got 3% worked on a low profit product line , the same one as the lady I mentioned. It was a high volume, low profit product but it promotes the brand and brings in customers. And it's not like you get to choose which group you join so it seemed unfair to base raises that way.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Unsurprisingly, Uber in Europe is a lot less lovely than in the US. I use it a lot and chat with the drivers all the time so here it is how it works - to drive for Uber you must be employed with a company which has a contract with Uber. It can be a company operating hundreds of leased vehicles or a single dude with a P.O. box driving his own car, but all the drivers are employees with vacation time, health insurance, limited working hours and so on. You are also unable to drive longer than is deemed safe since the system is linked directly to the government servers and kicks you off when you reach the daily limit. That's EU-wide, as far as I know.
In my country in particular, the people working for big companies make a bit less than average wage in winter and probably double in summer. The one-man-show companies are much better off, they make above average even in winter, and that is after taxes, car lease and expenses. Since the requirements for entry into this particular type of work are rather low - you need to have a driver's licence and take a short written test - it's not that unfair, especially not compared to horror stories I hear from the US.

e: capitalism still sucks, though

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Elman posted:

Yeah that's what it's supposed to be, but that's not what it is 99% of the time. That poo poo should be illegal.

On that note, there's a taxi driver strike going on in Spain right now. They're protesting against Uber, demanding that they follow the loving law (the nerve!). Also they're blocking a lot of main streets. This is Barcelona:

Cabs are exploitative and garbage businesses, yet somehow manage to be the good guys in the fight against Uber.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

TheMostFrench posted:

Well it's no big deal because they said they would call me back after today's interview if I was 'successful'. Since they haven't I guess I wasn't, maybe because when they asked me what kind of things I was looking for I thought of this thread and said 'job security'.

Sounds like they could benefit from a HMRC investigation as to whether they pay the national minimum wage.

You can do a referral through the ACAS website.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

DorkusMalorkus posted:

Get a "degree" from a "college" to help your "career"

This really irks me. A previous employer of mine had an employee town hall thing to ask what kind of things we wanted from them. One big theme was education related benefits like tuition reimbursement, continuing education, and student loan assistance. A few months later they sent out an email about some presentations about some new education related benefits.

Those benefits? First was a lovely online university(Might have been DeVry?) coming in to sell to us, not even a discount or anything, just straight up them advertising to us. The other was some very scammy feeling student loan consolidation company. In both cases they probably were actually making money and being paid to do so and calling them "benefits".

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Animated Nerd posted:

I used to see this four or five times a day and it makes me mad every time. But not right now, we are on strike. No war but class war!

Reading their lovely website reminds me of when a friend of mine got heavily into NLP. It’s a fascinating blend of pseudo-science, scamming people out of cash, and culty behaviour. I do wonder whether it’s based on their principles.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Just out of a meeting with my department, where my bosses bosses boss, among other things, said that some people's stress and mental health states were being caused by a lack of commitment to the company.
Because we haven't "bought in", that's why we're stressed?
No, we're stressed because we're overworked as we should have been getting new staff but instead we've just been seeing people leave, and not being replaced, for 4 months now, and the rate of departure is increasing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SEX BURRITO posted:

Reading their lovely website reminds me of when a friend of mine got heavily into NLP. It’s a fascinating blend of pseudo-science, scamming people out of cash, and culty behaviour. I do wonder whether it’s based on their principles.

Are you talking about the "newd irection" kind of NLP or some other kind

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

This really irks me. A previous employer of mine had an employee town hall thing to ask what kind of things we wanted from them. One big theme was education related benefits like tuition reimbursement, continuing education, and student loan assistance. A few months later they sent out an email about some presentations about some new education related benefits.

Those benefits? First was a lovely online university(Might have been DeVry?) coming in to sell to us, not even a discount or anything, just straight up them advertising to us. The other was some very scammy feeling student loan consolidation company. In both cases they probably were actually making money and being paid to do so and calling them "benefits".

lol this owns

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
5500 forms were due last week for every company that offers a 401K, and you can get some valuable data from the disclosures

Search - https://www.efast.dol.gov/portal/app/disseminatePublic?execution=e2s1

From Amazon's -

22,040 fired in 2017, all having worked there less than 3 years (the threshold for retirement vesting)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

wilderthanmild posted:

My company does some similar lovely things. They sent around a mail saying they would support anyone if they did a course in the local universities or colleges.
Turns out 'support' is if the classes clash with your work shifts you can go on part time, and part time with the obvious reduction in wages. Aso means you can not get back onto full time afterwards. Ever.
Oh, and they get to PR that they helped you. They don't spend a dime to help at all.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://splinternews.com/this-union-busting-manual-from-office-depot-is-really-s-1827792710

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Reminded me of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8ZSNDsz5vg

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
"Union business" That is an interesting segue.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Rarity posted:

some states have commission sales and servers with a separate minimum wage.

Also I run a business and have a handful of employees but keep in mind, wage problems including getting underpaid, underreporting hours and such are handled by the states and especially in the south, those complaint departments have been crushed in size that they're almost 100% unable to actually enforce anything. For instance, if you're in a job paid under $15/hr and your company has no legitimate interest in being honest with their employees there's no real reason why they can't just shave your hours down here and there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

5500 forms were due last week for every company that offers a 401K, and you can get some valuable data from the disclosures

Search - https://www.efast.dol.gov/portal/app/disseminatePublic?execution=e2s1

From Amazon's -

22,040 fired in 2017, all having worked there less than 3 years (the threshold for retirement vesting)

Isn't Amazon one of those Mad Max workplaces where they cull the "bottom 10%" and everyone in the corporate office is out to knife each other to make sure they stay out of the bottom 10% and their enemies get put in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Holy gently caress "independent contracting" is the absolute worst bullshit. We had a telco that was privatized at the very tail end of the analog era, which has now been bought by Bell. It's been steadily getting shittier since privatization. Used to be they had a fleet of service vehicles, but I think now only the linesman have service vans and I think that's only because it would be impossible to force someone to buy a cherrypicker van. It's pretty clear the service techs are ~independent contractors~ now because they're using personal vehicles to get around. I can't imagine being forced to drive your own loving vehicle all day, every day instead of a fleet truck. You're actively taking a pay cut that way because of parts/maintenance.

A fire alarm company in town tried to pull that poo poo too. Hired the guys on as contractors and then charged them to use the vans. One guy I know had his lovely never maintained van blow the engine in the first week and they tried to stiff him with the bill.

lol please tell me you're talking about MTS