Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Covok posted:

You're right. I think that was me just letting a "bad thought" in and letting it get to me. Sorry about that.

Nah, it happens to everyone. You play in so many games, all of them fall apart for whatever reason, and you're the only connecting factor in all of them, so your monkey brain (looking for patterns in the way all our monkey brains do) starts to be like "Is it me that's causing poo poo to fall apart?" That question's going to come up at some point, for some sooner than others, but everyone's had that thought cross their mind at one point or another. That's not a "bad thought", that's a thought.

Dwelling on it to the point where it starts becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy; that's the toxic poo poo, and that's the poo poo you gotta quit doing. I'm not a psychologist, but I took a couple of courses back in high school around the turn of the millennium. :agesilaus: Seriously, though, the fact that you're dwelling on this kinda poo poo tells me there's other, worse poo poo going on in your life and/or in your head that you're trying to work out, and gaming would be a safety valve on this, if games didn't up and collapse on you. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Now of course, I'm not you, so the best I can do is go the Bob Newhart route https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw and tell you to knock that poo poo off, but I can't help you with that, that's something you gotta do on your own. All I can do is put the foot in the rear end to get you out of that rut, you gotta be the one to actually stand up and get on with poo poo. Whether it's keeping on trying to find a game, or getting help for whatever poo poo's going on that's making you stick with those negative thoughts. Gotta tell ya, being able to bounce ideas off of someone, whether it's IRL or online, a sibling or a stranger, is far and away better than just keeping poo poo to yourself. That applies to both to the good (like gaming ideas and poo poo) as well as the bad (whatever rough poo poo might be going on in your life at the moment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Aniodia posted:

Nah, it happens to everyone. You play in so many games, all of them fall apart for whatever reason, and you're the only connecting factor in all of them, so your monkey brain (looking for patterns in the way all our monkey brains do) starts to be like "Is it me that's causing poo poo to fall apart?" That question's going to come up at some point, for some sooner than others, but everyone's had that thought cross their mind at one point or another. That's not a "bad thought", that's a thought.

Dwelling on it to the point where it starts becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy; that's the toxic poo poo, and that's the poo poo you gotta quit doing. I'm not a psychologist, but I took a couple of courses back in high school around the turn of the millennium. :agesilaus: Seriously, though, the fact that you're dwelling on this kinda poo poo tells me there's other, worse poo poo going on in your life and/or in your head that you're trying to work out, and gaming would be a safety valve on this, if games didn't up and collapse on you. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Now of course, I'm not you, so the best I can do is go the Bob Newhart route https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw and tell you to knock that poo poo off, but I can't help you with that, that's something you gotta do on your own. All I can do is put the foot in the rear end to get you out of that rut, you gotta be the one to actually stand up and get on with poo poo. Whether it's keeping on trying to find a game, or getting help for whatever poo poo's going on that's making you stick with those negative thoughts. Gotta tell ya, being able to bounce ideas off of someone, whether it's IRL or online, a sibling or a stranger, is far and away better than just keeping poo poo to yourself. That applies to both to the good (like gaming ideas and poo poo) as well as the bad (whatever rough poo poo might be going on in your life at the moment).

I mean you're not wrong that I've been dealing with some bullshit. If you been in the job thread, then you know that I've been having problems with an employee that finally got resolved, I hope. But I'm still dealing with some lingering stress from all that. And you're not wrong that I kind of wish I could be gaming but I'm also just loving tired of all the bullshit that comes with it. A couple Pages back I had a big rant about that the derailed the thread for a few pages and I've been taking a break from gaming because I just needed it.

My 4e game died and I kind of just loving had enough. Been gaming non stop since my sophomore year of college. Which is when I was introduced to tabletop role-playing games. Been running one to two games a week since then. And I'm 25 going on 26 in February. So that's like 5 years or something. I got burnt out.

But I've been itching to run something. Because I don't got any like friends in the immediate area anymore. All of my friends moved away years ago. Not too many people my age who still live in this area. And it's hard to make friends with shared interests in so many Nerds have poor hygiene among other issues. Tried to make friends in different groups and I had varying results. So gaming is normally my social outlet so I guess maybe yeah I'm kind of getting backed up on that regard.

To not make this all about me, how about a headline from "You Don't loving Say" Weekly.

Showed up on my newsfeed.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Covok posted:

I mean you're not wrong that I've been dealing with some bullshit. If you been in the job thread, then you know that I've been having problems with an employee that finally got resolved, I hope. But I'm still dealing with some lingering stress from all that. And you're not wrong that I kind of wish I could be gaming but I'm also just loving tired of all the bullshit that comes with it. A couple Pages back I had a big rant about that the derailed the thread for a few pages and I've been taking a break from gaming because I just needed it.
Yeah, just caught up with all that, and yeah, I can totally see why you're stressed the gently caress out. Hell, I got called a liar and N-lover at work when I told a customer we didn't have any PS3 controllers. People just fuckin' suck sometimes.

quote:

My 4e game died and I kind of just loving had enough. Been gaming non stop since my sophomore year of college. Which is when I was introduced to tabletop role-playing games. Been running one to two games a week since then. And I'm 25 going on 26 in February. So that's like 5 years or something. I got burnt out.

But I've been itching to run something. Because I don't got any like friends in the immediate area anymore. All of my friends moved away years ago. Not too many people my age who still live in this area. And it's hard to make friends with shared interests in so many Nerds have poor hygiene among other issues. Tried to make friends in different groups and I had varying results. So gaming is normally my social outlet so I guess maybe yeah I'm kind of getting backed up on that regard.
Maybe not try running, but just playing every so often? I'd say try to find an Adventurer's League nearby and be on the other side of the screen, take some of the pressure of coming up with poo poo off your shoulders. I've been down to Brothers Grim down in Selden once or twice from upstate (and know a couple of guys who frequent there as well), but that's typically been for card games, so I'm not too familiar if they have an AL there. However, even a cursory google search tells me there's a decent amount of game shops on the island, so I'm sure there's gotta be something close to you that does a gaming night.

I'd also posit that you might need to look into a more rules-light system. A lot of the games you've said you were running, like D&D 4e, L5R, Burning Wheel, DCC, Dragon Age, those are all really crunchy games. Even the PbtA poo poo (and I'll include Dungeon World in this) requires a lot more work to keep going than they first appear to. It couldn't hurt to look into some of the fluffier games out there, even if it's a one-shot of Lasers and Feelings, just to lighten the mood every so often.

quote:

To not make this all about me, how about a headline from "You Don't loving Say" Weekly.

Showed up on my newsfeed.

UA Ranger, sentence 1: "Over the past year, you’ve seen us try a number of new approaches to the ranger, all aimed at addressing the class’s high levels of player dissatisfaction and its ranking as D&D’s weakest class by a significant margin."

Crawford tweet: "What’s funny is that the ranger isn’t even in the bottom third when it comes to class popularity. Frankly, the revised ranger helped feed an internet-fueled view of the class that doesn’t align with the majority of players. I wasn’t sorry to end it."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

drrockso20 posted:

Also the creator did some comics for it years ago and they're certainly interesting in ways that can't really be shown here because they're dirty in ways that make Oglaf look clean

No they're not.

drrockso20 posted:

Yup, with a literal Reboot Button, said reboot moved them to Conneticut(instead of NYC), there was a lot of weird stuff involving the girl's boobs(she got them reduced, but then missed the attention she got for them and bought a magic ring off the internet to make them bigger again, then she got the reduction undone as well), then she had a psychotic breakdown and then they did a timeskip and basically said that pretty much the entire reboot up to that point didn't actually happen as portrayed because of her psychosis(except for a couple episodes involving Foamy by himself cause he moved out for a while), and then things meandered along through multiple additional reboots to the current status quo that has the girl as a literal NEET with agoraphobia and it's just been incredibly boring because nothing actually happens anymore

Why do you know all this.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Covok posted:

When you do find a regular group again, I highly recommend breaking up long campaigns with one shots/three session mini campaigns in between major story arcs in the long campaign. Have someone else GM them and have them run it in an entirely different system. It does wonders to prevent GM burn out, it give the other players a chance to try out GMing in a low pressure low risk way, and it gives the whole group a chance to try out another system.

Some of my favorite sessions from a long running DW/13th Age group I play with online have been the 'GM cooldown' sessions. We had a Halloween CoC one shot where we were all members of a punk band (The Iron Skalds) that has since reappeared in a Masks mini-champaign. We played Fiasco and ended up writing our own playset on the next break (Tiki Noir). I'm running an increasingly misnamed one shot (about to have our 4th session) of Dungeon Crawl Classics now.

Covok posted:

Sorry to hear that, I think other people's advice about looking for AL groups in the area are a good start. If you have a FLGS with a posting board, maybe try to organize a one shot of something that will let you meet some potential players. If they are unwashed idiots you only see them the one time, if they actually seem fun to hang out with you can try and set up a regular game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lurdiak posted:

No they're not.

Why do you know all this.

Cause watching it used to be an extremely guilty pleasure of mine, and once in a while I'll take a look and see if it somehow improved

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, try to find a group that can rotate GM’s if you’re feeling burnt out. Two of the players in my group are co-writing an RPG and are running two IRL campaigns in addition to our weekly Roll20 game.

It’s nice for me to be able to open a different game and give them a chance to play instead of run when they’re in the middle of rewriting/revising part of their game. I started a Rhapsody of Blood campaign so I have an excuse to combine chiptunes, history nerdism, and classic VG tropes in one go.

BetterWeirdthanDead fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 30, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
How many isekai RPGs are there? I have a copy of GoO's El-Hazard game.

That Old Tree posted:

I once read QC from the beginning all the way through in a few sittings (I think there were "only" about 2000 strips, then) when I was unemployed and would just do that kind of poo poo every once in a while. The evolution of style and humor was profound, but man slice-of-life drama for a literal decade feels like it just goes nowhere. Years later, I heard that the main character has a laudably healthy relationship with a trans girl, but also some ham-fisted racial politics allegories involving annoying robot people? The wacky mascot robot from the beginning was grating. Also the mentally unstable but quirky and secretly wealthy neighbor.
Did the wacky robot sidekicks ever become something more? I stopped following some time shortly after the two main characters broke up.

If they didn't, that's to their credit. The other side of the "slice of life for a decade goes nowhere" is when the comic is originally about a few friends working dead-end jobs, and a few years in they've all become superheroes.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

How many isekai RPGs are there? I have a copy of GoO's El-Hazard game.

Did the wacky robot sidekicks ever become something more? I stopped following some time shortly after the two main characters broke up.

If they didn't, that's to their credit. The other side of the "slice of life for a decade goes nowhere" is when the comic is originally about a few friends working dead-end jobs, and a few years in they've all become superheroes.

Depends on what you mean by "something more". There are more robots, and the aformentioned racial allegories that are really not more hamfisted than anything else in particular, and also a robot cop named Roko Basilisk.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
By "something more" I mean Marten discovers that Pintsize is actually a doomsday weapon sent from another dimension where robots have replaced all the humans, and Faye turns out to be descended from an alien race, and she has to use her newfound Saiyan powers to stop the invaders from the robot dimension, and when all is said and done they're working at a coffee shop again, but occasionally reference the fact that Faye lives in a castle on the moon.

Sluggy Freelance and Shortpacked, in other words

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Faye going from "unattainable snarky indie chick" to "buff mechanic with an even more buff robot girlfriend" is an interesting reflection of how nerd fantasies have changed in the last 15 years.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

By "something more" I mean Marten discovers that Pintsize is actually a doomsday weapon sent from another dimension where robots have replaced all the humans, and Faye turns out to be descended from an alien race, and she has to use her newfound Saiyan powers to stop the invaders from the robot dimension, and when all is said and done they're working at a coffee shop again, but occasionally reference the fact that Faye lives in a castle on the moon.

Hannalore has that father who lives in a space station, otherwise the most radical change to the setting is this whole time it's actually been a hard sci-if setting where robots live alongside humans as actual persons with their own complicated politics and relations with humans and there's apparently some superpowerful AIs running things behind the scenes. Which is like, something that's taken several years to slowly leak out with elements of it being mostly setup for the relationship drama, not a diversion from it. But also super weird because we all know this was a comic about college grads struggling with rent and talking about music, not the post-cyberpunk future.

Oh, and Emily is actually a compsci savant I guess.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Freudian posted:

Faye going from "unattainable snarky indie chick" to "buff mechanic with an even more buff robot girlfriend" is an interesting reflection of how nerd fantasies have changed in the last 15 years.

Nerds have been wanting buff girls since the 80's(probably earlier honestly), it's just that it's been more acceptable to admit it these days without being labeled a deviant

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Halloween Jack posted:

Uh, the girl who had an actually pretty okay (for a mid-2000's webcomic) arc about her father committing suicide is a Secret Orphan Space Aryan? That seems…tasteful.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I dunno what this crap is but I know it's your fault Ettin!!!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I can't read about the utter motherfucker Jeph Jacques' ouevre. Stop for the love of God

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Rhapsody of Blood

Oh poo poo, I've been looking for something like this for a bit. Thanks for pointing it out, man.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

How many isekai RPGs are there?

Every RPG is an isekai RPG, you just need to write it into your PC's backstory. :v:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, an isekai setting for D&D sounds like it could be pretty rad.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, an isekai setting for D&D sounds like it could be pretty rad.

ravenloft was neat, yeah

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Banestorm/GURPS Fantasy was this except for like whole chunks of Earth at a time. I really like it from a first look, it manages to do the whole Earth, but with Elves and magic and poo poo thing pretty well.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
GURPS Fantasy is a bunch of really neat ideas written in the most stodgy way conceivable.

Also launch Sahud into the Sun if you're going to use it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also launch Sahud into the Sun if you're going to use it.

Yeah it seems very Gilliganesque in it's throwing together all "the rest"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

That Old Tree posted:

Uh, the girl who had an actually pretty okay (for a mid-2000's webcomic) arc about her father committing suicide is a Secret Orphan Space Aryan? That seems…tasteful.
You're thinking of the quirky mentally unstable one with brown hair. They're talking about the quirky mentally unstable one with blonde hair.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Splicer posted:

You're thinking of the quirky mentally unstable one with brown hair. They're talking about the quirky mentally unstable one with blonde hair.

No, they're both talking about the brown-haired one but Halloween Jack is talking about stuff that didn't happen but would be typical of this sort of comic. Faye is not, in fact, a space princess.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

remusclaw posted:

Yeah it seems very Gilliganesque in it's throwing together all "the rest"

Well, it's supposed to be Those Inscrutable Asians to the point where it's deliberately played for a gag, where everything is supposed to be nonsense and the characters are deliberately wrong-footed all the time. And they mash up the different cultures so even if some player does have a good handle on the cultures of the biggest continent, you can be like "Nuh-uh! The Prince of Irises says you have committed great offenses to his honor by drinking with your teacup handle on the right side!" It's, uh, not good.

Which is all pretty ironic considering how ahead of the time it is by having major, advanced Islamic nations making up essentially half of the setting.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, it's supposed to be Those Inscrutable Asians to the point where it's deliberately played for a gag, where everything is supposed to be nonsense and the characters are deliberately wrong-footed all the time. And they mash up the different cultures so even if some player does have a good handle on the cultures of the biggest continent, you can be like "Nuh-uh! The Prince of Irises says you have committed great offenses to his honor by drinking with your teacup handle on the right side!" It's, uh, not good.

Which is all pretty ironic considering how ahead of the time it is by having major, advanced Islamic nations making up essentially half of the setting.

Not to mention the throwing in of pre Columbus native to the America's peoples.

You definitely know better than me as that's the first I had read of them. I am very much in the "it seems like a cool setting" area right now. Flaws have been known to creep in from there.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 30, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

LatwPIAT posted:

No, they're both talking about the brown-haired one but Halloween Jack is talking about stuff that didn't happen but would be typical of this sort of comic. Faye is not, in fact, a space princess.
Kicker: someone in another thread suggested that if they bring Moon Knight to the MCU, they should make him Muslim. I can see that not going over well.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah, QC hasn't really changed too much, though relationships are different now and etc. The major change I guess has been that those relationships are all pretty overwhelmingly positive; it really isn't a melodrama anymore, far more slice of (kinda weird) life.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Halloween Jack posted:

Kicker: someone in another thread suggested that if they bring Moon Knight to the MCU, they should make him Muslim. I can see that not going over well.

Even if he's a crazy piece of poo poo, I can't imagine the Jewish fans of Moon Knight being a fan of that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, QC hasn't really changed too much, though relationships are different now and etc. The major change I guess has been that those relationships are all pretty overwhelmingly positive; it really isn't a melodrama anymore, far more slice of (kinda weird) life.

It's insanely boring crap with zero conflict and characters that have no flaws or interaction with each other than squee!!!! stuff

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought Moon Knight was a genuine pagan type/moon worshipper, since he literally gets his powers from the moon.

Questionable Content I remember getting a lot of flak in recent years for basically turning out to be focused on the least interesting parts of its setting. It's like they try to emulate anime/cartoon slice of life but manage to capture all the worst things about it without even the bits people like.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought Moon Knight was a genuine pagan type/moon worshipper, since he literally gets his powers from the moon.

Questionable Content I remember getting a lot of flak in recent years for basically turning out to be focused on the least interesting parts of its setting. It's like they try to emulate anime/cartoon slice of life but manage to capture all the worst things about it without even the bits people like.

Nope. He's Jewish, like Magneto, Kitty Pryde, and Ben Grimm (fine and Wiccan, Songbird and Gert).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I am pretty sure he worships a weird egyptian deity at least 50% of the time in the comics.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
He is culturally Jewish. His father was a rabbi. However, he is not religiously Jewish, because he worships an ancient Egyptian deity.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LatwPIAT posted:

Oh, I got confused because Hannelore is a space millionaire.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shortpacked is kind of a funny case given it's generally grounded but a couple of the cast members are from a previous comic where they were superheroes who fought aliens, and now work menial jobs where they only occasionally and usually accidentally use their superpowers. It's like something out of Venture Bros. Also there's a talking car that's pretty much the token wacky amoral nonhuman sidekick.

I also remember that being one of the comics that after a history of typically clumsy takes on relationships and women introduced a bunch of LBGT characters and themes with about the grace you'd expect. (with one character literally named Leslie Bean)

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I also remember that being one of the comics that after a history of typically clumsy takes on relationships and women introduced a bunch of LBGT characters and themes with about the grace you'd expect. (with one character literally named Leslie Bean)

Leslie is a precious cinnamon bun and I will not have you tarnish her good name!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Are we taking about Dobson?

CattyN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

LatwPIAT posted:

Leslie is a precious cinnamon bun and I will not have you tarnish her good name!

A lesbian character named "Leslie Bean" is more or less defined by not having a good name