Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah it's the time of the month for postapoc economy thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Nice piece of fish posted:

Are you loving kidding me? How is this not blatant fraud and psychological/proganda warfare? That is insane. This is an incredible vulnerability for democracies, and frankly no responsible government should ever hold a referendum ever again if its vulnerable to this kind of manipulation.

The result of the Brexit vote is actually illegitimate.
almost all advertising is psychological/propaganda warfare

Public Relations is the propaganda term for propaganda

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_(book)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Post-doomsday economics: despite what popular media says, hoarding bottlecaps will not save you

also,

comedyblissoption posted:

almost all advertising is psychological/propaganda warfare

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

"My generation will be known for memes about wanting the economy to die."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1024236805477097472

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
is this rant because they accidentally endorsed bernie?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

is this rant because they accidentally endorsed bernie?

there were a couple of interviews from yesterday/the other day:

The Koch network's top brass distance themselves from Trump

IT’S WAR!: THE KOCHS KNEECAP TRUMP IN AN ATTEMPT TO MAKE THE G.O.P. THEIRS AGAIN

Top Koch network official: 'The divisiveness of this White House is causing long-term damage'

Koch Brothers Group Leadership Calls Out Trump For ‘Lack Of Leadership’

Koch officials: President Trump's trade tariffs hurt Americans

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol nice

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wonder if they see a bloodbath in November and are distancing themselves early.

Or maybe it's because the Kochs care slightly more about money than they do about racism.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Weren't the Koch bros raised like the twins from breaking bad with their father being hector salamanca and would make them physically fight each other

i dont even want to know what type of sociopathy rots in their brains

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tiberius Christ posted:

Weren't the Koch bros raised like the twins from breaking bad with their father being hector salamanca and would make them physically fight each other

i dont even want to know what type of sociopathy rots in their brains

Their dad got rich building Stalin's oil infrastructure and then founded the John Birch Society because he was completely insane.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Zeroisanumber posted:

Or maybe it's because the Kochs care slightly more about money than they do about racism.

It's this op.

They're beginning to realise that nobody ever cared about their lovely libertopian vision, people only listened to them because they had money. And Trump is making that money look awfully cheap and tawdry compared to real, state-sanctioned power.

I bet the Kochs will turn Dem in 2020. The Dems will welcome them with open arms then lose by 10 points.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Nice piece of fish posted:

Are you loving kidding me? How is this not blatant fraud and psychological/proganda warfare? That is insane. This is an incredible vulnerability for democracies, and frankly no responsible government should ever hold a referendum ever again if its vulnerable to this kind of manipulation.

The result of the Brexit vote is actually illegitimate.

Lol my dude what the gently caress do you think literally any and all political advertising of any stripe is? Yeah those ads are lovely but, uh, welcome to the past... I dunno, 60+ years or so of politics. If somebody buying advertisements that push their position makes an election "illegitimate" hooboy have I got some news for you. About the worst anyone did here was break a relatively minor law with a small fine attached.

Although democracy is trash, time to institute full Dictatorship of the Proletariat imo.

E: The data mining is obviously less than 60 years old, but in that case welcome to the past 15 years of any and all interactions with the internet. We're well beyond people filling out a form to enter a contest being a scandal, about half the apps on your phone are probably reading every single post on all your social media accounts while also listening through your always-live mic to everything you say as long as the phone has power.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 31, 2018

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

thinking facebook ads during a moratorium on ads is the straw that breaks the camels back on democratic legitimacy is some hardcore naivety

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
British liberals refuse to accept any reality in which someone voted against the EU because it's piss. I've banged my head against that brick wall before.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1024272178710233089

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
the EU IS piss because the fact that the ecb has a stranglehold on the currency means they can blackmail net importer countries into crushing austerity (see the damage they've done to italy, etc).

but also the british had the best of all worlds because they had access to some of the EU's good aspects while also having their own currency and full control pver their own fiscal and monetary policy.

they had the best possible deal in the world and brexit was totally pointless suicide

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mila kunis posted:

the EU IS piss because the fact that the ecb has a stranglehold on the currency means they can blackmail net importer countries into crushing austerity (see the damage they've done to italy, etc).

but also the british had the best of all worlds because they had access to some of the EU's good aspects while also having their own currency and full control pver their own fiscal and monetary policy.

they had the best possible deal in the world and brexit was totally pointless suicide

mila kunis gets it

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
that said, if i was someone in wales or northern england or someone in poverty in london seeing all the gains of this bright new world going to city financiers while my communities died and my quality of life went to poo poo i would also have voted for brexit to bring the whole system crashing down out of raw spite

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

mila kunis posted:

don't get that retard started on how no food on shelves and running out of medicine on top of the general destruction of the economy for decades is in fact good

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Jose posted:

don't get that retard started on how no food on shelves and running out of medicine on top of the general destruction of the economy for decades is in fact good

That's the thing Jose! Bear with me here, because this is a complicated Doomsday Economics Effortpost coming up, here it comes, here it coooooomes:

1. None of those things are going to happen.

2. Believing that they're going to makes you kind of a moron.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

here is a real good article outlining how hosed food is going to be after no deal brexit

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1022798559727550464

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you may be so old that you were alive and remember pre-EU but leaving it is entirely different to not joining in the first place. you idiot

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Jose posted:

here is a real good article outlining how hosed food is going to be after no deal brexit

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1022798559727550464

isnt that guy a melt

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he might well be but that article is very well researched

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
how much of the food shortage is going to be an arizona style rotting in the fields situation because nobody actually born in the country wants to do the slave labour that poor immigrants takin ARE JOBS were doing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its going to be sitting in trucks going rotten because all of a sudden every single thing needs custom checks

we grow gently caress all of our own food

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Ah yes the great geopolitical and economic analysis of *checks notes* Ian Dunt of politics.co.uk.

Consider me loving shook.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

why don't you actually read the article

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
if it makes you feel better jose you can give it another year or two of climate change and decimated european food crops mean there wouldnt be any food to sit on the trucks anywayt

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

interesting things in that article: to import and export meat we will now need vets to check it all to make sure its up to code. All the vets who do this in the UK are EU vets because british vets don't want to do it. its basically working in an abattoir making sure things are safe and checking all the slaughtered animals

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Ayn Randi posted:

if it makes you feel better jose you can give it another year or two of climate change and decimated european food crops mean there wouldnt be any food to sit on the trucks anywayt

See this is the thing that people should be worried about, roughly a billion percent more than Brexit. Instead we're in Ian Dunt's fantasyland where robotic customs guards shut down the country because no-one ordered them to do anything else and no-one has any agency or common sense. The idea of letting food trucks in is completely impossible, beyond impossible! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIEEEEE!!!

We are all going to die of course, but it'll be because everyone was too busy wanking over Brexit to do any actual disaster preparation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the article in fact covers your idiot idea about just letting everything in

quote:

At this point, Downing Street could decide to unilaterally give up all these tests and procedures for goods coming into the UK. After all, it is now unbound from EU law. It can do what it likes.

There is some evidence that this is what ministers are planning. In February, Defra minister George Eustice told a Lords committee his department would implement a 'mutual recognition' regime, which ultimately amounts to assuming food from the EU was safe to eat and hoping they did the same. Transport secretary Chris Grayling told the BBC categorically in March that "we will not impose checks" at the port of Dover.

But this approach would have profound consequences. Overnight, there would be no protections whatsoever for UK consumers on the food they eat.

This would be a betrayal of ministers' assurances of high food standards after Brexit, but put aside the morality and think about the practicality. Opening the border in this way would provide an open invitation for fraudsters. They could send anything to the UK they like - any food product, any drink, with any ingredient - knowing there would be no checks. The spot check system operating under EU law would vanish. There would be no documentation, no safeguards, no court oversight, and no supervision.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jose posted:

i mean yeah theyre absolutely going to do this over letting there be starvation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah and then a bunch of people will probably die from poisoned stuff.

its important to note that the hard brexiters currently in government, which will be in power for a full 3 years after brexit, want a free trade agreement with the US and its incredible standards on everything

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Jose posted:

I am sorry that I do not find the hyperbolic meltdowns of your favourite carnival barker particularly compelling.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Often Abbreviated posted:

Ah yes the great geopolitical and economic analysis of *checks notes* Ian Dunt of politics.co.uk.

Consider me loving shook.

ah yes the good posts of Often Abbreviated who *checks thread* is completely wrong in everything he posts

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The UK also got a pretty significant discount on EU membership fees.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
ian oval office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

also if we do just let everything in with no checks that will destroy all exports to the EU