Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really, really did not like Twice Upon a Time at all, and I think it's a shame that it was Moffat's last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/murdoness/status/1023850081752178688

Chris is the greatest. Read the thread

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

Chris is the greatest. Read the thread

Oh yeah, fantastic story in there - "There's my pal Martin!" :3:

TinTower posted:

You could see it coming a mile away, but I really liked how they did the Christmas truce.

Yeah, it was really beautiful and I agree with CommonShore that it was lovely that the Doctor didn't cause it, he just made sure they were there when it happened. "Any other day it wouldn't make any difference, but this is Christmas 1914, and a human miracle is about to happen." :hellyeah:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Going so hard on the "gee, the sixties were pretty sexist, look at how terribly sexist their Doctor must have been too!" reaaaally soured Twice Upon a Time for me. If it wasn't for that element being so wretched I'd have probably liked it

This is amazingly sweet

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/David_Burton

What in the actual gently caress?

https://lostmediawiki.com/Doctor_Who_(lost_pilot_episodes_of_British_sci-fi_TV_series;_1991)

quote:

On August 27th, 2013, the official Doctor Who YouTube channel uploaded a video called "The Other Eighth Doctor? - Doctor Who". The video goes into detail about an actor named David Burton who was asked to play the Doctor for two pilot episodes that would be later shown to the BBC.

This incarnation of the series would be about the Doctor and two assistants named Heart and Diamond who were twins. David Burton says in the interview that the feeling was that not a lot of people would remember the iconic police call box. So they decided to change the exterior of the Tardis to a red public phone box with blacked out windows.

David Burton also states there were at least two full episodes created before the whole idea was scrapped. He thinks that all remains of the pilot episodes were destroyed after it was axed.

How have I never hear if this/forgotten it? Was it covered in Lofficier's Nth Doctor book? (Can't be sure, not home to check my copy).

:psyduck:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am watching Game of Thrones for the first time, without having anything spoiled for me, and the bizarre tortureman who does the whole Reek speech is a terrible storyline, but it would have been improved vastly if Torture Bastard had been played by an extremely gleeful Matt Smith.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Iwan Rheon reminds me so much of Matt Smith in his cadence and delivery.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TL posted:

Iwan Rheon reminds me so much of Matt Smith in his cadence and delivery.

Buuuuuuuuut..... less so. It always feels like bargain basement Matt Smith.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

https://lostmediawiki.com/Doctor_Who_(lost_pilot_episodes_of_British_sci-fi_TV_series;_1991)

How have I never hear if this/forgotten it? Was it covered in Lofficier's Nth Doctor book? (Can't be sure, not home to check my copy).

I thought I imagined this! Holy crap!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Astroman posted:

I don't remember it being mentioned in Lofficier's book, but there's a short documentary about it on one of the DVDs. Burton even got a car for it:

The weirdest thing is nobody seems to be quite sure whether it actually ever happened or not. Not even David Burton seems entirely convinced.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
http://www.endofthelane.co.uk/burton.html

It was probably a hoax because Burton himself seems to be the only one who says it happened. He said an independent production company wanted to make a few episodes of a new Doctor Who and use them to try to get the BBC to give them the rights so they could make more. But there’s apparently no evidence that there even was such a company. That was a time when there were all sorts of stories about reviving the show and most of them didn’t go anywhere. Why Burton keeps saying it happened is anyone’s guess.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cleretic posted:

I feel like one of the best examples is one that Gatiss pointed out in the behind the scenes stuff; after his several appearances in the show, and remarkable amount of time working on it and related content, this is the only time he's ever actually gotten to play someone who travels in the TARDIS, and he really wanted to play it right despite the fact it's not really the focus.

He doesn't count "Web of Caves?" I count "Web of Caves." :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

if Torture Bastard had been played by an extremely gleeful Matt Smith.

"If you think this story has a happy ending... you're right! Come on Theon, let's go explore Time and Space!" :shobon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Forktoss posted:

I don't remember it being mentioned in Lofficier's book, but there's a short documentary about it on one of the DVDs. Burton even got a car for it:

The weirdest thing is nobody seems to be quite sure whether it actually ever happened or not. Not even David Burton seems entirely convinced.

Yeah, I remember DWM having a photo similar to this in their news section, but even they didn’t give it more than a few cursory lines of text. I don’t think anyone was convinced, honestly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ah, yes. Who could forget Surrey Vice?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

"People paid not to appear on Doctor Who" paints a very different picture than "People who were paid but then did not appear on Doctor Who."

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I have the DVD with the special feature this is mentioned on, and the way they lead into this story with their editing is hilarious. Clayton Hickman comes on and starts talking about the DWM photo of David Burton's car, but with no knowledge of how the man got it. He then says something along the lines of "If you can get David Burton to sit down and tell the story of how he got that car, I'd pay a million dollars for that DVD".

Cut to David Burton explaining how he got that car.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Which DVD is it on? I assumed it would be most closely related to Survival or the TV Movie, but I don't think it's either of them.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Forktoss posted:

Which DVD is it on? I assumed it would be most closely related to Survival or the TV Movie, but I don't think it's either of them.

IIRC, Inferno Special Edition.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Is it there because David Burton looks a bit like a Primoid?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

So we talked about this years ago in one of the DW threads and I was convinced I imagined it or that it was from a novel. The companions were not actually twins, they were two versions of the same person, temporal clones. And the Doctor was trying to figure out which went in what moment in time and couldn't and if he put them in the wrong slots it would cause a paradox so they had to travel with him until he sorted it out. I've long thought that would make for an excellent companion on the actual show and I really thought they were gonna go with that with Clara.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

He looks like that’s his car dealership.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/MaeveBluebell/status/1022066983611682816

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Oh no, not again

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Oh no, not again

Is there rather a lot of this in the future?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Is that...a penholder full of sonics? :allears:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Oh no, not again

The_Doctor posted:

lol

This thread is the best place to discuss Doctor Who on the internet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

You don't have one?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

You don't have one?

Dangerous to keep one around. It attracts Matt Smiths to wander by and break them all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Change... and not a moment too soon :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

He wears a fez now

https://twitter.com/Redheadedchinny/status/1024416508385087494

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Astroman posted:

But of course! :imunfunny:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Rhyno posted:

You don't have one?

How many of us put these together immediately after seeing it in The Doctor's office?

Edit: "The Doctor's Office" coming next season of Doctor Who

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

McGann posted:

Edit: "The Doctor's Office" coming next season of Doctor Who

"And just where did you get your medical degree, ma'am?"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

This had drat well better be a Green Wing crossover/reboot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Did a residency at Holby City.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did a residency at Holby City.

Oh, not the doctor I was expecting.

But oh no, in another part of the hospital it’s the Master’s new... dastardly... plan?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Jubilee is good.

Like.

Really good. :stare:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s ok. I think it suffers for having a ridiculously small cast.

EDIT: I should probably give it a relisten. I’ve just looked at the TARDISwiki entry for it and there’s loads of people in it. I only remember the Doctor, Evelyn, and the Rochesters (and Briggs, obvs).

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Cleretic posted:

That behind-the-scenes special also shows their original plan for the flashback to the Tenth Planet; a shot-for-shot remake instead of using more modern-day cinematic techniques. It's adorable.

Ohh, that could've been so great, I wonder why they changed their minds?

I've often dreamt of someone going back and remaking lost stories from the original shooting scripts with period-style effects and props, but synced up to original soundtrack like they did with Rocky Star.

• Locked thread