Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Dang it, Ophelia. Stop chasing little boys. The church already has a really bad reputation about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Holy poo poo did I just utterly obliterate the Runelord boss. Got Scholar and Cleric divine skills on Cyrus, broke the boss, cast Shooting Stars, each comet was doing 29k.

29k x 6 = 174k. He died on my first use of it.

Holy poo poo.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Beat Red Eye. Suitably creepy boss design.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ophilia's Ch.2 is pretty funny. Yeah gonna light this thing then just meander and do whatever. I kind of love how the stories are such slice of life occurrences and things that you encounter are just happenstance or pretty normal problems as opposed to DARKLORD WANTS TO COLLECT THE 4 CRYSTALS TO DESTROY EARTH.

Minor note: I'm at level 25 to 30ish, when should I start trying to seek out the 4 hidden subclasses? Is it even feasible to find them or earn them before beating all the chapter 2s?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Beat Red Eye. Suitably creepy boss design.

Just wait until you reach the endgame...

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

Ophilia's Ch.2 is pretty funny. Yeah gonna light this thing then just meander and do whatever. I kind of love how the stories are such slice of life occurrences and things that you encounter are just happenstance or pretty normal problems as opposed to DARKLORD WANTS TO COLLECT THE 4 CRYSTALS TO DESTROY EARTH.

Minor note: I'm at level 25 to 30ish, when should I start trying to seek out the 4 hidden subclasses? Is it even feasible to find them or earn them before beating all the chapter 2s?

I’ve also been wondering when I can start going for the advanced classes. I’ve finished all the chapter 2s and am about level 30 on everyone.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

DLC Inc posted:

I've taken out three myself and I didn't start until I was in the mid 30s.

More important than sheer level is skills. You need some divine skills to take out most of them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

Extremely :same:

I've seen a lot of people criticize Ophilia's Ch.2, Alfyn's, etc. but I think it's a wonderful change of pace. It's one of the great things about the 8 main quest format :kimchi:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, so all the 'random hit' attacks that can do
5-8/10 strikes all operate under the same rules.

So both of the hunter bow skills, the warrior spear skill, and the warmaster sword skill.

1.At minimum, 3 strikes will ALWAYS hit. This is guaranteed, so these skills can be great at breaking bosses.
2.Any additional strikes have 50% chance to hit.
2a.Arrowstorm calculates accuracy for the whole AOE, so everything hits, or nothing hits.

So at minimum, arrowstorm will hit 3 times, then flip 2 coins to see if you get 2 extra hits.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Super ultra endgame spoiler chat, do not read unless you've 100% the game or can assume you are on the same quest I'm on.

So... I'm not sure I'm going to beat the true final boss. My B-Team is probably 20 levels behind. I've enjoyed the game for almost 90 hours, but don't think I have it in me to grind the other characters to where they need to be. ( Most of them mid-low 40's. ) I don't think it mattered with how underleveled half of my characters are, but also screwed up my party formation for the split on accident... meaning when I lost on the first phase it was that much more tilting when I realized that yep... no loving checkpoints here. I was going to try to put Olberic on a team with three of the B-Team characters hoping he could carry one of the phases but that's not going to work unless phase 2 is considerably easier than phase 1.

When I was doing the shadow bosses I was cruising through them with no problem at all, assumed I was over leveled and then the first phase of the boss fight pushed my poo poo in. Feeling pretty :effort: about even trying it again. Will probably just youtube the ending.

:negative:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh jesus do you have to do all the fights in a row and then the final boss without saving

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh jesus do you have to do all the fights in a row and then the final boss without saving

:unsmigghh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

haha
hehe
hoho

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just finished Tressa's final chapter, lmao that was hot garbage. The final villain is just some random woman you met 10 minutes ago who stole your lovely diary for some reason you never find out.

And then the whole "the true treasure all along was the journey." :jerkbag:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wonder how badly you can make a 'worst subjob' party. I think so far I've got:

Olberic: Scholar
H'annit: Cleric
Ophilia: Thief
Cyrus: Hunter
Primrose: Apothecary
Alfyn: Dancer
Therion: Merchant
Tressa: Warrior

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Tressa's story as of Ch3 just sucks. Which is made worse by the fact that she is actually a sweet character who I want to see succeed, but good god maybe Tressa needs a different career because she absolutely blows at being a merchant.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Both her and the chapter 3 guy are bad merchants.

Oh this thing that you're showing interest in? It's worthless :v:

Nuh uh, it's old and valuable! :homebrew:

I still like her story so far because it's a departure from everything else.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A post earlier said to give therion the warrior subclass and haanit problem is I’m stuck with haanit as my main but I want to bring therion along...can I make him like a mage or something else? Typically I would love to have:

Haanit
Olberic
Ophelia
Therion

But I’m just not sure who to give the right side jobs so I’m covered on all bases. 😢

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Make Therion a Dancer, it is good. He becomes a buff/debuff machine who can give SP and still hit pretty hard.

e; with that party you can't inquire/scrutinize so you'll be missing a path action

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That makes sense. Guess I’ll have to drop okberic though then :( but I also heard that he possibly makes a good healer too? I’m not attached to Ophelia at all if you think there’s a better party mix or

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Healing scales from Elemental Defense and Olberic has among the worst in the game (tied with Primrose, Therion, and H'aanit). That said, there's plenty of armor that boosts Elemental Defense and that can make up for it almost entirely, so while you shouldn't expect him to be immediately healing for as much as Ophelia can, he'll certainly be capable enough.

Alternatively, replace Ophilia with Alfyn and you'll keep your healer but gain the Inquire path action.

One thing your group is sort of missing is someone with really good Elemental Attack to use the Scholar job, though. You could take Cyrus instead of Ophilia and give him the Cleric subjob, though every turn he's healing is a turn he isn't nuking and his nukes are very, very good.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the reply. So it seems like I’d probably be better off then going haanit Cyrus therion olphillia then. I guess with warrior job haanit might be able to kinda tank?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

Thanks for the reply. So it seems like I’d probably be better off then going haanit Cyrus therion olphillia then. I guess with warrior job haanit might be able to kinda tank?
Warrior H'aanit is great for dealing damage, but she isn't very tanky (doesn't she have some of the worst phys. def in the game?)

But really, don't worry too much about it. You don't need an optimal party to get through the game and there's a surprising number of cool combinations that might not seem immediately obvious (like Warrior Ophilia being a kickass bufftank). Give the characters cute costumes, kill things. If you want to make sure you have coverage, pick 4 characters with unique path actions of your choice and give them the sub jobs of the 4 characters you didn't pick. That'll get you one of everything. v:v:v

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Your Computer posted:

Warrior H'aanit is great for dealing damage, but she isn't very tanky (doesn't she have some of the worst phys. def in the game?)

Primrose has the worst, but H'aanit ties with Therion for second worst. She does tie with Olberic/Primrose for worst Elem. Def. though.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
H'aanit has the second lowest physical defence (in front of Primrose) but the second highest evasion (behind Therion, and tied with Primrose). I went through most of chapter 2 and 3 with almost nothing being able to hit her, don't know if +evasion is going to become less useful later though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean honestly you may need to grind a tiny bit extra but nothing in this game is insurmountable with any party

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pick whatever subjobs makes your characters look the coolest. As long as you have diversity in your jobs it doesn't really matter who has what until you do the job bosses or whatever.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright thanks all

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is Bewildering Dance the only way to buff the whole party actually? I do like using it every once in a while to try to fish for the EXP/JP bonuses (especially since Olberic flexes when he dances).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Empress Brosephine posted:

I mean, there isn't really "tanking," but Warrior H'aanit will hit like a goddamn truck so that's still a great idea.

It's worth noting that if you want to get the ~true ending~ you're going to need to finish all eight characters' stories so you'll be using everyone anyway. If you switch things around along the way, no big deal.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is Bewildering Dance the only way to buff the whole party actually? I do like using it every once in a while to try to fish for the EXP/JP bonuses (especially since Olberic flexes when he dances).

Dancer's Divine skill makes (most) single-target abilities into multi-target for whoever has it cast on them. That applies to most targeted buffs (like Dancer's and Cleric's), but not self-target (like Merchant's Sidestep). To spread around self-targeted things, you need Runelord.

Anyway that means you can do things like place Reflecting Veil on your whole party if you're fighting a spellcasting boss and make them blow themselves up with their own spells. It's just like in my Japanese animes classic Final Fantasy games!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's an advanced special in an advanced class that lets you take a spell that normally targets one ally and target them all. Also concoct has some party wide buffs like status immunity

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

There's an advanced special in an advanced class that lets you take a spell that normally targets one ally and target them all. Also concoct has some party wide buffs like status immunity

You're conflating the advanced class's skill with Dancer's. The advanced class's skill turns self-buffs into full party buffs.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Take Aim buffs everyone.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

I started playing the other day, and I've just hit a weird issue - not sure if its a scaling bug or I've just missed something important.

Basically, I started as Therion and have been working my way around clockwise, and I am currently on Tressa's story. Outside of town I'm encountering Rock Tortoise enemies, which appear to have a regular amount of health, but I am completely incapable of doing more than about 5 damage to them, physical or magical, even while vulnerable. On top of this, they spam Spark, which does about 300 damage to everyone in the party. All the other enemies in the encounter are normal, and the danger level of the area is appropriate.

Have I missed something, or are these completely bugged out?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
break them

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
There's follower summons that will give you party-wide buffs.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Myssu posted:

I started playing the other day, and I've just hit a weird issue - not sure if its a scaling bug or I've just missed something important.

Basically, I started as Therion and have been working my way around clockwise, and I am currently on Tressa's story. Outside of town I'm encountering Rock Tortoise enemies, which appear to have a regular amount of health, but I am completely incapable of doing more than about 5 damage to them, physical or magical, even while vulnerable. On top of this, they spam Spark, which does about 300 damage to everyone in the party. All the other enemies in the encounter are normal, and the danger level of the area is appropriate.

What number do they have? In early areas I have occasionally seen like a "Birdian V" or whatever that seems out of place when most of the enemies are 2s or 3s.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I went up against warbringer, I brought an npc that raised party defenses and inflicted poisoned (I think it was a merchant in the nearby town), used blinding jars and that shackle ability thieves had, with over heal I didn't lose anybody. Level ranges were 56-47.

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 31, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there any ability that blind people? I blinded a boss one but I think it was a lucky dance, don't know if there's a concoct that does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Myssu posted:

Some things are weaker to physical or magic. (Those are magic weak). I took the same path as you so you can kill them.

Take a look at your scholar gear. DONT USE OPTIMIZE. It will try to balance his staff for physical and elemental attack. Which........... change out gear to buff elm. Attack.

Use other to break and his with boosted magic.