Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I might argue that buying something, like a statue, is different from making a costume and wearing it out. It's technically free advertising, I suppose, but going out into the world dressed as a character that speaks to you (for whatever reason) is more personal and more involved with the greater community around said media than buying a bauble for your shelf.

I've never done cosplay though so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lots of jp character designers like, will design characters keeping cosplay in mind specifically as a way of like bouncing off of the very idea so i think there's more interesting stuff going on with that than giving into the shadow of corporatism

like iirc the reason i heard for why lulu in ffx has a fuckton of belts is just. cause nomura wanted to see how people would cosplay someone wearing a fuckton of belts

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

like iirc the reason i heard for why lulu in ffx has a fuckton of belts is just. cause nomura wanted to see how people would cosplay someone wearing a fuckton of belts

The story was it was a challenge to the FMV team iirc

This is why Lulu is only visible from the waist down in one FMV

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think cosplayers just as often as they dress up as characters they like, dress up as characters because they just like the outfit and think it'll look good on them or do it because they have an online presence and know it'll get them clicks and/or $$$. There is really nothing wrong with any of these reasons.

A former student of mine is a semi-big deal on instagram and does paid LARP / cosplay for conventions and photo shoots. She's a steampunk enthusiast but it would be more accurate to say that she just likes meeting new people and fashion, which branches out into roleplaying as various characters from fantasy and video games.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Escaflowne remains one of my all-time favorite shows, even though the ending is is such a letdown.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

lots of jp character designers like, will design characters keeping cosplay in mind specifically as a way of like bouncing off of the very idea so i think there's more interesting stuff going on with that than giving into the shadow of corporatism

Kojima literally made Quiet because he wanted to see cosplayer girls in that outfit

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
"Another World is a famous example of a rotoscoped isekai* game"

*isekai means Another World.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
technically, omikron is an isekai game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

The official reason for why you can't change armor for your party members in dragon age 2 was to promote cosplay, though in reality it was because they didn't have time to make armor models for the different races so they decided to just remove that feature

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Free Shantae update today apparently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYhNzTfP0Og

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

all according to isekaikaku

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I think one morally good thing you could do instead of spending extra on an Assassin’s Creed figurine is buying a sculpture or something from a local artist!
yeah good idea.

*walks into local art studio with print out of assassin's creed main character*. Yeah make it look like this

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yes that seems okay to me?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I just feel like cosplaying stuff that isn't even out yet is buying real hard into the corporation's wishes, super consumerist. Same with buying figurines for games that aren't out yet.

There's soooo many fictional characters you can dress up as that already exist.

Instead you dress up as like captain phasma before star wars is even out, and then find out she's basically not even in the movie. Its putting the cart before the horse.

a lot of people dress up as captain phasma because they think the design is badass and want to wear it

you're like two degrees away from the turbo nerds walking around conventions asking people why they're cosplaying as a character when they're clearly not a true fan. who cares

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Cowcaster posted:

all according to isekaikaku*

*isekaikaku means plan from another world

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Zaphod I know you're getting dogpiled here but I want you to know that I understand what you're saying, even though I disagree with it. I just don't want you to think that I'm trying to insult you or be mean about it or anything.

Basically, let's take your sports analogy. People who do cosplay aren't doing it every day, a lot of the time the cosplay comes down to one of 3 reasons.

1. They're being paid to make and/or model a particular outfit (not the most common reason, but it's definitely a reason)

or

2. They like a character's outfit and want to cosplay as them, regardless of how familiar they are with that character or if the character is from a product that is even available to the public yet, etc etc etc. All that matters is that they saw the outfit and thought to themselves "I think this looks cool and I would like to make it." More or less it's the same kind of reasoning behind pre-orders or going to the movies on opening night. You think something looks neat and fun so you go and do it.

3. They want to test themselves by making a particular outfit that they think may be challenging or may require them to learn a new skill or test a skill they've already learned, things like that.

Please don't think I'm trying to be mean to you here, I apologize if I'm coming across as patronizing or insulting, I just wanted to explain to you, as someone who likes cosplay and has done some cosplay in the past, why I disagree.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Kojima literally made Quiet because he wanted to see cosplayer girls in that outfit
I swear I read an interview that said that the creator of Kill la Kill created the outfits of the characters the way he did because he wanted to see people cosplay as them, but I can't find it to back up my claim. gently caress it, it's the internet.

The creator of Kill la Kill put his characters in skimpy outfits so that he could enjoy cosplay of them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is that one character wearing individual bellbottom pants for each leg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ken Levine hired some cosplayer who made an Elizabeth cosplay based on the trailer to be the official model for the game art or something like that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

Yes. The fine posters in adtrw claimed that kill la kill was going to be a satire of fanservicey animes but then it just actually was one and they were dumb

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

Yes. The fine posters in adtrw claimed that kill la kill was going to be a satire of fanservicey animes but then it just actually was one and they were dumb

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't like the transformed kill la kill outfits not cause I faint at the sight of a butt or whatever, I just think they're ugly

show mostly rules though, with some very bad parts sprinkled in mostly in early episodes

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cowcaster posted:

it's called hakama you gaijin

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

obligatory

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
did Trigger's latest show turn out good? Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia both owned so unless it sucked I'm gonna watch their new mech show I can't remember the name of at some point

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Awesome

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

did Trigger's latest show turn out good? Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia both owned so unless it sucked I'm gonna watch their new mech show I can't remember the name of at some point
Apparently not, because it had a bad ending that made everyone angry.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Anime Satire At Its Finest

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

Apparently not, because it had a bad ending that made everyone angry.

Isn't that like all anime?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejVrpuF1IuM

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
franxx was a joint thing between trigger and another studio that just ended up having kind of a bad script apparently

little witch academia is the best thing trigger's made and one of the best anime ever but the scriptwriter for it died like a week after it finished airing rip

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they're teens

klk fans are gross

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

franxx was a joint thing between trigger and another studio that just ended up having kind of a bad script apparently

little witch academia is the best thing trigger's made and one of the best anime ever but the scriptwriter for it died like a week after it finished airing rip

So KlK and little witch are still the only things Trigger has done fully solo since splitting from Gainax?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

they're teens

klk fans are gross

It's satire because she doesn't want to be in skimpy clothing and gets upset about it --zorak, mod of adtrw

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

July ends as it began: in anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

So KlK and little witch are still the only things Trigger has done fully solo since splitting from Gainax?

they also did luluco and kiznaiver, luluco owns but it's a series of seven minute long shorts and kiznaiver is. uh.

well kiznaiver is one of the worst anime i've seen in my life so i wouldn't recommend watching that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There was also kiznaiver and other stuff. Oh and space patrol Luluco

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LawfulWaffle posted:

Anime Satire At Its Finest

This is like when CineD posters delude themselves into thinking Zack Snyder is a brilliant antifa puppetmaster for making unwatchably cynical movies about superheroes screaming in slow motion for five hours.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

shantae has always seemed like a really mediocre platformer and mostly a Horny Game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

It's satire because she doesn't want to be in skimpy clothing and gets upset about it --zorak, mod of adtrw

zorak sucks but he got demodded like five years ago at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

they also did luluco and kiznaiver, luluco owns but it's a series of seven minute long shorts and kiznaiver is. uh.

well kiznaiver is one of the worst anime i've seen in my life so i wouldn't recommend watching that

There is tremendously worse stuff out there than kiznaiver. Hell there's trigger stuff that's worse than kiznaiver.

• Locked thread