Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

luluco is the real FLCL successor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
he was the mod when klk was big is all

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

There is tremendously worse stuff out there than kiznaiver. Hell there's trigger stuff that's worse than kiznaiver.

yes i understand that kiznaiver is not literally the worst anime ever made but i'm gonna be kinda pissed off at a show that spends an entire episode deeply tying a character's entire arc to their sexuality and then

completely forgets all of it by the end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Anyway to post about games: I'm getting tremendously tired of the zero gravity sections in Prey, I like poking around disheveled offices and reading emails about dungeons and dragons, not sliding around mimic blobs for 10 minutes to reach another loading screen...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

between klk and their main English PR being a guy posting on 4chan I see a lot of anime people avoid trigger on principle these days.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

shantae has always seemed like a really mediocre platformer and mostly a Horny Game

That is basically correct. Pirate's Curse and Risky mode in half genie hero are pretty good, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
what was that show that was just short ghost stories with weird animation

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

shantae has always seemed like a really mediocre platformer and mostly a Horny Game

Half genie hero was fine but Pirate's Curse is killer. It seems like HGH was a pretty sizable success considering they're able to put out free dlc for the hell of it still, and I hope they take the art they've made for it and make a better designed game

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbf HGH and pirates curse are the only complete shantae games made since the first and WF made a number of decent games between those.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
trigger has really good animators and yoh yoshinari in general is a loving fantastic artist but they're also a studio who's management is embracing a weird cult of personality and setting up a patreon that, isn't going to give any money to the actual talented staff and instead is just going into bullshit that doesn't benefit anyone who needs it

corn in the bible posted:

what was that show that was just short ghost stories with weird animation

i think you're thinking of yamishibai or mononoke

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 31, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

It's satire because she doesn't want to be in skimpy clothing and gets upset about it --zorak, mod of adtrw

I don't remember zorak saying anything like that (not saying he didn't, just that I don't remember it) but this was legitimately hbomberguy's view and he'd get into debates about how if you thought the show was sexualizing teens then that meant that you were getting turned on by them by recognizing that they were being sexualized and therefore the problem is with you and your inability to understand the deep satire and irony

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Motto posted:

tbf HGH and pirates curse are the only complete shantae games made since the first and WF made a number of decent games between those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqzYjWLqgNA

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I tend to judge media by its strengths so if something is mostly 9/10 stuff but with some 1/10 stuff mixed in I tend to walk away thinking it was pretty drat good

so when I say kill la kill rules that's where I'm coming from

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

and to think some people get upset when others overgeneralize all anime as being about horned up underage teens

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe we could call it a “qualified recommendation”

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

and to think some people get upset when others overgeneralize anime being about horned up underage teens

Yeah they get upset because that is dumb as hell

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

The Colonel posted:

franxx was a joint thing between trigger and another studio that just ended up having kind of a bad script apparently

little witch academia is the best thing trigger's made and one of the best anime ever but the scriptwriter for it died like a week after it finished airing rip

LWA is just a feel-good timekiller, honestly.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
As someone who didn't like kill la kill so I dropped out after the first ep, the funniest thing to come out of the klk thread on sa would've been everybody dunking on that one dude who did a giant post where he went indepth and second-by-second described the mother/daughter molestation scene but he was going into such detail when all he really had to do was say "I thought it was gross when the mom was sexually harassing her daughter and it was shown on screen in an exploitative way"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i liked kill of kill. sanbika is a great song

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Inferno Cop was by trigger right? Inferno Cop is good.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I personally enjoyed Kill La Kill because I do not have a stick up my rear end about entertainment.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

trigger has really good animators and yoh yoshinari in general is a loving fantastic artist but they're also a studio who's management is embracing a weird cult of personality and setting up a patreon that, isn't going to give any money to the actual talented staff and instead is just going into bullshit that doesn't benefit anyone who needs it

considering fan attitudes towards certain genres over the last few decades, it's kinda ironic that the gurren lagann director turned out to be an unflagging horny on main otaku dude while the k-on director is a cool lady who goes to a math museum and thinks "what if I made the romance movie I'm working on about this"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cmon now that's not fair. You know it isn't fair to generalize people not being comfortable with sexual imagery and sexual assault of minors as just having sticks up their rear end

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway everyone should check out sound! euphonium and a silent voice and just most of the things naoko yamada's directed in general because she's a loving incredible director and one of the youngest rising stars in the industry who started cranking out big hits when she was in like her mid 20s, and a lot of her shows play off of her own experiences in high school. and a silent voice in general is just a really really great movie

also check out kyousougiga and blood blockade battlefront because rie matsumoto is also a badass director who got her start directing random episodes of precure and all of her shows have a mix of incredibly stylish, flashy action and really laid-back character interaction

also bbb's soundtrack is all stuff like this and it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juJkx8lgKzo

peace

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 31, 2018

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
♫don't lose your waaaaayyyy♫

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
thats mostly what I remember from klk

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

in France, it's called Kill the Kill

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

that and it being poo poo enough that i maybe watch two anime series a year now because people kept hyping it up and i can no longer trust people's opinions on the matter

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Sawano did the soundtrack for Xenoblade Chronicles X and it owns.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Promare is an upcoming Trigger show that looks decent enough tbh.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

that and it being poo poo enough that i maybe watch two anime series a year now because people kept hyping it up and i can no longer trust people's opinions on the matter

both in anime and in videogames you really shouldn't trust the opinions of strangers on the internet unless you know their likes and dislikes well enough to form a coherent context and gauge it alongside your own tastes

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

chumbler posted:

Sawano did the soundtrack for Xenoblade Chronicles X and it owns.

everyone bitching about the xbcx soundtrack or thinking it was great and here i can't really remember anything about it, good or bad, except now somebody is going to post the night town theme

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Cowcaster posted:

both in anime and in videogames you really shouldn't trust the opinions of strangers on the internet unless you know their likes and dislikes well enough to form a coherent context and gauge it alongside your own tastes

Honestly, yeah, this is why I mostly play games and watch stuff recommended by friends.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Although sometimes goons can strike good hits with recommendations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I always try to phrase things as "I like this" or "this is good" instead of "you should play/watch this" unless they're specifically asking for recommendations and provide some guidance on what they're into

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
no one should trust my recommendations anyways because I always just mentally sweep over the flaws and focus on the good parts

that said everyone go play six ages out on ios right now buy an ipad if you have to

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

I mean, they were people i had trusted.

probably should have stopped watching it at some point rather than going all the way to the ending though, i dunno why i kept up with it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

no one should trust my recommendations anyways because I always just mentally sweep over the flaws and focus on the good parts

or you can be like me and think the flaws are the good parts

give me more loving water levels and water temples, bitches

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

to be fair no one should trust my recommendations either because i've never actually played a videogame in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Phantasium posted:

or you can be like me and think the flaws are the good parts

give me more loving water levels and water temples, bitches

water temples yes water levels in platformers no

• Locked thread