Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

u'r a D alright.........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

exploded mummy posted:

boston outdrew milwaukee in 2014 despite having a smaller park

That's because the Brewers completely collapsed out of nowhere in the second half and ownership was not giving satisfactory answers about how they were going to turn things around.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

hobbesmaster posted:

also apparently its "duck, duck, gray duck" instead of "duck, duck, goose"

yeah it's extremely hosed up and i will never ever say "duck duck grey duck" no matter how long i live here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jit bull transpile posted:

That's because the Brewers completely collapsed out of nowhere in the second half and ownership was not giving satisfactory answers about how they were going to turn things around.

also, red sox > brewers as a general concept

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

What a Brewers

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

keyboard vomit posted:

What a Brewers

a miserable pile of pitches

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
the mariners fans who are getting a half chub of anticipation around here this year are incredibly sad

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

hobbesmaster posted:

is this somehow racist or something

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Captain Foo posted:

also, red sox > brewers as a general concept

you would say that

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

that's kinda why i stayed away from it too.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

Toronto all by itself experiences like 100F to -30F in an average year

Yeah this. Just in the last 12 months we've ranged from -33 to 114

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

i don't think so, here have an article on it: https://deadspin.com/duck-duck-gray-duck-isnt-just-a-stupid-regionalism-1819317297

quote:

But it honestly is a shared, strange moment in the life of most Minnesotans when they first learn that no one else in the country calls it this. It is not taught to us as Our Special Version of the game, it’s just...what the game is. Imagine if, growing up, the first time you met some kid from another state, he told you that, everywhere else in the world, they don’t call it “Simon Says,” they call it “Horatio’s Request.” And you are the weird one, apparently, for only knowing it as this other thing.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

majestic treatboy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

in the uk "where's waldo" is called "where's wally" and the hokey pokey is called the "hokey cokey"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

in the uk "where's waldo" is called "where's wally" and the hokey pokey is called the "hokey cokey"

in the uk "hoighty toighty tippy typers" are keyboards and a "rooty tooty point and shooty" is a gun

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

“Duck, duck, goose” is boring. It relies on a simple binary: The kid you’re tapping is either “duck” or “goose.” The words aren’t phonetically similar, so basically as soon as the “it” kid begins forming that first consonant sound, you know what’s happening.

“Gray duck,” though, introduces nearly infinite variations. The first, most obvious one—the one all kids figure out right away to add some spice to the game—is to psych them out with a well-placed “green duck.” Soon you’re drawing out the “grrrr” as long as you can to keep the other kids guessing.

Then you add other little tricks. You give each kid a different color—“red duck, purple duck, orange duck, beige duck”—so that when you finally drop the “gray duck,” in the same flat tone, maybe the kid you’re tapping doesn’t notice for a second and you get a nice head start.

Eventually you’re throwing all sorts of modifiers in there, stretching yourself to come up with adjectives: “gross duck, great duck, grand duck.” Now it’s a word game, and not just a simple test of one’s ability to run slightly faster than another kid.

What do you even do in “duck, duck, goose?” Do you name other birds? Sounds like a fun game for birdwatchers, maybe.

Do your children a favor: Teach them “duck, duck, gray duck.”

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

:spergin:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
this is a good read

https://twitter.com/GrahamStarr/status/1024377992917729281

This strong IP ownership funneled capital into Silicon Valley, as the creators of apps, smartphones, and other gadgetry (and then, the massive tech corporations buying out their competitors and their copyrights) were the only business in town. Big Tech’s deregulation continued during the reign of George W. Bush, and was then given an injection of adrenaline under the country’s most tech-friendly president. Whether this access, and presumable clout, by Big Tech was proactively welcomed in by the Obama White House, or if this was simply the White House responding to its growing power, is up for debate. But it occurred during a time when tech officially raided the real world.

Since the DMCA views the computer components in “smart” devices as proprietary information, if you want to fix your “smart machine,” you’re stuck taking it to the dealer instead of a cheaper, third-party repair person. Combined with their ability to cease customer support and updates when they want, tech corporations, this means, hold a monopoly over their product and its lifespan. They not only decide how much their products sell for, but how much it costs to fix them, and how long they even can be fixed.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

you’re right there’s no point arguing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

people that wear shorts year round are

a) obese as hell and shorts are the only real pants that work for them
b) poor and thats just the clothing they have
c) manchildren
d) all of the above

e) skinny chainsmoking guy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

f) wears nothing but underarmor guy.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
g) cut the hems too high on my jncos

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is a good read

https://twitter.com/GrahamStarr/status/1024377992917729281

This strong IP ownership funneled capital into Silicon Valley, as the creators of apps, smartphones, and other gadgetry (and then, the massive tech corporations buying out their competitors and their copyrights) were the only business in town. Big Tech’s deregulation continued during the reign of George W. Bush, and was then given an injection of adrenaline under the country’s most tech-friendly president. Whether this access, and presumable clout, by Big Tech was proactively welcomed in by the Obama White House, or if this was simply the White House responding to its growing power, is up for debate. But it occurred during a time when tech officially raided the real world.

Since the DMCA views the computer components in “smart” devices as proprietary information, if you want to fix your “smart machine,” you’re stuck taking it to the dealer instead of a cheaper, third-party repair person. Combined with their ability to cease customer support and updates when they want, tech corporations, this means, hold a monopoly over their product and its lifespan. They not only decide how much their products sell for, but how much it costs to fix them, and how long they even can be fixed.

i thought there was a dmca exemption for repairing your own stuff

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

cuts a slit on the back of his jeans by the ankle so they fit over his DCs

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

holy poo poo. jnco cutoffs...

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

President Beep posted:

holy poo poo. jnco cutoffs...

jncutts

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hobbesmaster posted:

i thought there was a dmca exemption for repairing your own stuff

technically yes, but there is no exception for repair tools in the ban on the distribution of circumvention software and equipment.

so you can circumvent software locks and DRM to repair or enable fair use, but only if you can write the required software from the ground up.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

“Duck, duck, goose” is boring. It relies on a simple binary: The kid you’re tapping is either “duck” or “goose.” The words aren’t phonetically similar, so basically as soon as the “it” kid begins forming that first consonant sound, you know what’s happening.

“Gray duck,” though, introduces nearly infinite variations. The first, most obvious one—the one all kids figure out right away to add some spice to the game—is to psych them out with a well-placed “green duck.” Soon you’re drawing out the “grrrr” as long as you can to keep the other kids guessing.

Then you add other little tricks. You give each kid a different color—“red duck, purple duck, orange duck, beige duck”—so that when you finally drop the “gray duck,” in the same flat tone, maybe the kid you’re tapping doesn’t notice for a second and you get a nice head start.

Eventually you’re throwing all sorts of modifiers in there, stretching yourself to come up with adjectives: “gross duck, great duck, grand duck.” Now it’s a word game, and not just a simple test of one’s ability to run slightly faster than another kid.

What do you even do in “duck, duck, goose?” Do you name other birds? Sounds like a fun game for birdwatchers, maybe.

:chloe:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

lol this guy never won duck duck goose because he wasn't fast enough

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Sounds like a fun game for birdwatchers, maybe.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
birds are cool

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

to eat

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ThePeavstenator posted:

birds are cool
but what are they?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we just don't know

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

we just don't know

im beginning to suspect we never will :smith:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the biggest market right now said their HDD failed and any funds on the site were “lost”. it’s still running. it’s just a tax you pay at this point.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

im beginning to suspect we never will :smith:

can we ever know anything? as it turns out, yes, but not in the way we think we do.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PleasureKevin posted:

the biggest market right now said their HDD failed and any funds on the site were “away from them”. it’s still running. you're just dong-razzled at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

hq2 dropping in nova will probably be the least surprising thing this year and actually a breath of fresh normalcy air for once