Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Injecting it also destroys your liver by giving you excessive LADSLADSLADS and leading to lots of drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think everyone wouild get lots of use out of this

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sadly you can't stop alcohol destroying your liver by injecting it. Or butt chugging.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

He is a bad actor.
All politicians are but the press laps this poo poo up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Sadly you can't stop alcohol destroying your liver by injecting it. Or butt chugging.

That's not true, if you buttchugg it enough you can prevent it from destroying your liver by destroying other parts of you faster.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

See your gp. Don't ask for medical advice over the internet. Sincerely, a nurse

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

On the topic of testosterone, do any of the other UKMT trans people know if access to hormones is likely to be affected by brexit?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the safe answer stock up and don't risk it

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

spiderbot posted:

On the topic of testosterone, do any of the other UKMT trans people know if access to hormones is likely to be affected by brexit?

If we don't make it here, yep. There will be supply issues with any and all drugs in a no deal scenario

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Pesmerga posted:

Hey UKMT doctors (thinking of Jabby in particular but anyone that might have some knowledge would be useful), can you help? Just got back from Portugal on the same day that I got some blood tests back from the medical service in Portugal. The wife and I tend to see her family doctor when we’re there, and I mentioned some symptoms I was having to him. Basically low mood, unexplained tiredness (going beyond having an 18 month old), losing strength in the gym but putting on weight, plus other issues. He suggested getting testosterone checked as part of my test. Results came back wit( pretty much everything ok except cholesterol getting a bit high (also a significant increase since last tests), but testosterone really low, both total and free. For reference, total testosterone was 216ng/Dl, (7.57nmol/L) and free was 7.2pg/ml (normal range is 16.00 to 51.00 according to the test. What would be the next step here in the U.K.? I plan on taking the results to my GP here, but I’m expecting them to just knock me back, tell me not to worry about it, and leave it at that. But ideally, I’d like it rechecked here if possible, and look at fixing it so that my quality of life improves. I’m so used to my GP just telling us things are stress (like telling my wife that her symptoms were just stress, her talking to her doctor who actually examined her throat, even touching it, and immediately sent her for further examination, and hey, nodules on her thyroid, and she’s been under observation ever since.

Will the NHS fix my broken body? :smith:

Tdlr: balls broken lol

1) Low testosterone is a reason for generally feeling a bit poo poo and is probably under-recognised. In my trust testosterone replacement is generally given under the direction of an endocrinologist as either injections or a topical gel. The first step would be seeing your GP and getting the test repeated (both because results can fluctuate and also to give a baseline with your local lab). I can't imagine that there would be any objection to this - there is a confirmed biochemical abnormality on a previous blood test and you have symptoms consistent with the blood test.

2)

Namtab posted:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

spiderbot posted:

Aren't most human hormones easily produced from readily available materials as long as you have a well equipped lab, though?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

spiderbot posted:

almost certainly, if not the actual labs then the supply chains that provide them with the raw materials

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

Aren't most human hormones easily produced from readily available materials as long as you have a well equipped lab, though?

they said trans people, as in people on HRT and therefore need hormone injections/ointments/pills

e: lol I read your post as talking about the human body as a lab

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Tesseraction posted:

they said trans people, as in people on HRT and therefore need hormone injections/ointments/pills

Yes...? That was the point of my post...?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Namtab posted:

Ignore this, it's medical advice from an internet person

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pochoclo posted:

Hormone milking dungeons don't count

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

yeah sorry I had a moment and saw you said lab and played word association football of lab -> labia -> female reproductive organs

I slept *really badly* last night so I'm really not with it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bardeh posted:

If we don't make it here, yep. There will be supply issues with any and all drugs in a no deal scenario
Time to start making drugs before a no deal Brexit and before Sajid Javid bans distilled water as a dangerous precursor to soft boiled eggs.

Pochoclo posted:

I could have a go with some choice starting ingredients. Who wants to join my post-apocalyptic scavenger gang? (You have to bring your own elastration bands.)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Comrade goons I implore you. Don’t take HGH, ever, arguably even if you have growth hormone issues*, that poo poo will flat out try and murder you. Tell your gym buddies that they may care a great deal about the side effects when their groin muscles randomly decide to rip themselves off the bone.

*yay congratulations you are 5ft 8, sorry you have to live in a wheelchair and have the internal organs of a 7 year old, but look! Tall!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Taking hormones, even under strict medical supervision, can gently caress you up real good. It's basically loving around with your body's source code and we don't really understand how it all works all that well to be honest.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Crazy witch fingers are totally the in thing down at the gym though

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pesmerga posted:

Hey UKMT doctors (thinking of Jabby in particular but anyone that might have some knowledge would be useful), can you help? Just got back from Portugal on the same day that I got some blood tests back from the medical service in Portugal. The wife and I tend to see her family doctor when we’re there, and I mentioned some symptoms I was having to him. Basically low mood, unexplained tiredness (going beyond having an 18 month old), losing strength in the gym but putting on weight, plus other issues. He suggested getting testosterone checked as part of my test. Results came back wit( pretty much everything ok except cholesterol getting a bit high (also a significant increase since last tests), but testosterone really low, both total and free. For reference, total testosterone was 216ng/Dl, (7.57nmol/L) and free was 7.2pg/ml (normal range is 16.00 to 51.00 according to the test. What would be the next step here in the U.K.? I plan on taking the results to my GP here, but I’m expecting them to just knock me back, tell me not to worry about it, and leave it at that. But ideally, I’d like it rechecked here if possible, and look at fixing it so that my quality of life improves. I’m so used to my GP just telling us things are stress (like telling my wife that her symptoms were just stress, her talking to her doctor who actually examined her throat, even touching it, and immediately sent her for further examination, and hey, nodules on her thyroid, and she’s been under observation ever since.

Will the NHS fix my broken body? :smith:

Tdlr: balls broken lol

Did they take your blood early in the morning? Because otherwise the test is pretty useless.

But yeah, see your GP and report the results, I imagine they'll repeat your blood tests and take it from there. I wouldn't pin too much hope on having hormone problems though, 90% of all 'I feel a bit poo poo and I'm always tired' complaints turn out to be psychological.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

learnincurve posted:

Comrade goons I implore you. Don’t take HGH, ever, arguably even if you have growth hormone issues*, that poo poo will flat out try and murder you. Tell your gym buddies that they may care a great deal about the side effects when their groin muscles randomly decide to rip themselves off the bone.

*yay congratulations you are 5ft 8, sorry you have to live in a wheelchair and have the internal organs of a 7 year old, but look! Tall!

Got any links on this insane-sounding poo poo? I kinda love listening to medical fuckups.

(EG: John Hunter the surgeon who believed that syphilis and gonorrhoea were caused by a single pathogen, intentionally gave himself gonorrhoea but unknowingly did it with a syphilis-infected needle. When he then displayed symptoms of both diseases he claimed that this proved his theory, and set back the study of the diseases by fifty years)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

sorry you have to live in a wheelchair and have the internal organs of a 7 year old
Those were planted in my hotel and I have no idea where they came from.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

late but i just want to point out this is an andy daly character

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pochoclo posted:

Taking hormones, even under strict medical supervision, can gently caress you up real good. It's basically loving around with your body's source code and we don't really understand how it all works all that well to be honest.

nah lots of them can be hosed with plenty of non-lethal consequences. Serotonin, melatonin, progesteron, adrenalin... thyroid hormones. loving insulin

hormones aren't all dangerous

e: or, well, they are, but nowhere near equally dangerous.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
Edit: wow that was a late reply. Ignore.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

nah lots of them can be hosed with plenty of non-lethal consequences. Serotonin, melatonin, progesteron, adrenalin... thyroid hormones. loving insulin

loving around with insulin can gently caress up your body double quick if you don't know what you are doing.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1024402024841011201
This is to create a 'visual symbol' of Brexit apparently, despite evidence showing it will be really expensive and make queues longer.

In fact the biggest beneficiaries will probably be EU citizens, who may end up getting a line to themselves while 90% of arrivals cram into the 'UK passport' lane.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

fun fact melatonin is prescription only here because of potential abuse

I learned after asking my doctor to help me with sleeping because I otherwise use booze to solve insomnia and they were like "we recommend spending more time relaxing before bed"

DOC HAVE YOU SEE OUR FUFCKING GOVERNMENT THE PAST EIGHT YEARS

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1024398074054156288

The event in question was put on by Hajo Meyer who was a Jewish Auschwitz survivor. Just in case you thought this was in any way sincere.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/ewa_jay/status/1024335112085876736

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Gort posted:

Got any links on this insane-sounding poo poo? I kinda love listening to medical fuckups.

(EG: John Hunter the surgeon who believed that syphilis and gonorrhoea were caused by a single pathogen, intentionally gave himself gonorrhoea but unknowingly did it with a syphilis-infected needle. When he then displayed symptoms of both diseases he claimed that this proved his theory, and set back the study of the diseases by fifty years)

My brother was on the very first U.K. trial for synthetic growth hormones so this is something I’ve been involved with from 1989 - 2001 so as you can imagine I have a rather unique insight into this particular drug. another thing they did on this trial was use these kids to test new kit designed for diabetics - you got a controlled group people with a non life threatening condition that need injections twice a day so it makes sense in a way, although even at the time my siblings and I did think it was absolutely mental to be experimenting with them on children.*

I don’t know what reports or studies that came out after the trials, but I do know they dialled down the dose significantly as the years went on as it became obvious that no poo poo, different things grow at different rates and if you massively accelerate the process then it can all go horribly wrong.

If you want to see the effects of HGH abuse then you can straight out watch Kevin Nash rip both quads walking across the ring, Vince McMahon ripping his simply by climbing into the ring and HHH’s injuries in general. :(

*reminder, parents, literal fascists.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
lol what

https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1024351092933578752

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which half of Germany should we be more like? Because i could go for some bulldozing of private developments and replacing them with soviet hellcrete.

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

https://twitter.com/BerndPorr/status/1024351687262257152

epic

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is there anything I can do about a burglar alarm over the road that's been going off constantly for the last 3 hours and appears to have no thoughts in stopping?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
look at that ignorant prick not even educated enough to use "SBZ" like a true besserwessi neolib

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Hey look, educated people that still can't do critical thinking.

Hurr Corbyn?!??! BAD. *Bangs rocks together*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

serious gaylord posted:

Is there anything I can do about a burglar alarm over the road that's been going off constantly for the last 3 hours and appears to have no thoughts in stopping?
start a referendum on turning it off, and then if and when it does turn off, expect-cum-demand massive praise for your part in its cessation, even if it only happens because the people inside the house have indeed been killed to death by a robber and it runs out of battery

• Locked thread