Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

WrightOfWay posted:

There's a couple different variations. The common ones are in this album: https://imgur.com/a/VlG7iUb

From this, I'd recommend committing the 3 ammo rotation to memory first. It'll get the job done for you in basically any content. (This a really weird way to visualize these rotations...)

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wow, this looks loving miserable.

It is. But it's also not as bad as it looks. Like someone said, it gets really rote. Frankly, the hardest part of it for me at this point is remembering to resummon my turret.

Alakaiser fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
quote is not edit

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

It's not particularly hard once you get used to it. MCH becomes surprisingly rote and mechanical after a while.

Yeah, the hard part of MCH is understanding how MCH's tools work and fit together, not actually executing on them. Especially now, Overheating and WIldfire is a bit counter-intuitive, especially since a 6 GCD Wildfire IS possible even at base GCD, but the attack you're shoving into it is an usually unheated Split poo poo, which is actually WORSE then going Flamethrower to Overheat -> Cooldown -> Wildfire start even WITH that first Cooldown being outside the Wildfire timer (since an unheated Split is only 160 potency + 25% of that in Wildfire or 200, while Cooldown while over 50 heat is 230), There's also some people who insist the best mid-fight Wildfire is actually a 6 GCD with a single tick of Flamethrower stuck in the middle there to Overheat after the first GCD so it looks something like Wildfire start -> heated Clean Shot -> Flamethrower (overheat) + Quick Reload -> heated Slug -> Rapid Fire + Reassemble -> Heated Clean -> Ricochet -> Heated Cooldown -> Gauss Shot -> Heated Cooldown -> Rook Overdrive (+Heartbreaker if below 20%) -> Heated Cooldown -> Wildfire end, but the only way I've found to make that reliable is with a decent amount of Skill Speed (otherwise a dead stat on MCH, although Ranged DPS gear this particular patch means you'll likely wind up with at least some amount of it) and very good ping or you'll likely lose the 6th GCD in that nonsense. It's also very prone to drift due to Heat maintenance from having a lower GCD since you do NOT have the luxury of being able to use a two-tick flamethrower to overheat in this particular Wildfire rotation.

I usually do a variation on the 2-ammo rotation for more reliable Wildfires and better ability to Wildfire through fight mechanics, but my static is also BLM/SAM/MCH/BRD so the only actual group uptime DPS window is the very generous window of Hypercharge combined with Foe's from the Bard, so I don't need to worry nearly as much about rotation drift as I would if the group had a NIN or DRG. If you have one or ESPECIALLY both, learning how to adapt to a Wildfire rotation that is resistant to drift is very important so you can keep your Wildfires lined up with other rotations for Trick Attack.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Karasu Tengu posted:

PLD: Help everyone, no matter what

DRK: oh my god go away i have better things to do

DRK is me when I want to do Ridorana but some rear end in a top hat makes me get him some wine from the edge of the realm. :argh:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Hot take: MCH is the worst designed class in game right now by a significant margin.

Which makes all the sweet new stormblood animations even more depressing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Even if MCH is a dumpster fire, SB did make it more enjoyable.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Asimo posted:

Hot take: MCH is the worst designed class in game right now by a significant margin.

heat-death-of-the-universe take, you mean.

Also, still annoyed that MCH lost Grenado Shot. Should have kept it on as Heated Spread Shot, or something.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are there any goons playing on Japanese servers?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Asimo posted:

Is that even a Hot Take right now? You'd be hard pressed to find many folks who'd disagree, at least among people who've PLAYED Machinist in Stormblood. Red Mage is probably the actual worst class in the game right now by a wide margin, but their problem is almost entirely numbers- the class functions as intended it's just that everything is like 15% too weak to be worth it.

Machinist is a janky mess of gaping holes where stuff got pulled out and poorly-implemented new mechanics attempting to fill the gap but it just doesn't fit right and also itches like crazy. The class didn't function at launch because everything new about MCH was grossly undertuned, and after all the patching it finally works, somewhat, but at the cost of Heat actually being anything but an annoyance because there's zero thought to it anymore.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Safeword posted:

My character is Reilana Quillbourne, but I'm stuck on Gilgamesh for now. Was aiming to get onto Balmung, but congestion makes this a problem.

That said, I got the base game and both expansions for just over a tenner in the summer sale, so I might be able to justify a server transfer.

Now I just have to find an extra USB port for the keyboard so I don't go without headphones...

if you stay on gilgamesh feel free to whisper me, Aisakas Castor, if you ever need anything

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Even if MCH is a dumpster fire, SB did make it more enjoyable.

Hard disagree. Machinist had the same problem in HW where it was pretty thick to look at upfront, but everything was satisfyingly fluid once you got it down. Unlike HW bard, the cast bars felt like an intentional part of the design rather than something tacked on because reasons.

The ogcd problem was real for sure (if you absolutely hate ogcds it still is, but I get bored as hell when I'm not pressing things between attacks). I'd still take that over dealing with overheat. And flamethrower.

edit: I"m pretty sure I only post to complain about machinist in this thread but it's actually my favorite job and the only one I play. I just wish I wasn't already bracing myself for whatever big change is coming in 5.0.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Oh god, upgrading to Storm blood gas made the title screen SO LOUD.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The only part of MCH that is straight up bad design is Flamethrower. If it was just an OGCD that instantly sends you into overheat instead of this channeled bullshit it would be fine. Having no method (or reason) to interact with the heat gauge from 52-64 is dumb, but most classes feel awful while levelling so that's not at all unique to MCH.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I really wanna like MCH but I just don't have the patience for it. Honestly I think it would benefit from removing the turret entirely, and just increasing their stats across the board to compensate. As things stand, it's just too busy compared to BRD but with no discernable difference despite the additional effort caused by turret management, heat adjustment, and wildfire planning.

But goddamn I love the overheated animations. :swoon:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MCH feels pretty good when you've got everything down but feels like absolute rear end garbage when you're still practicing/learning. and even when it does feel good and you execute well, the numbers never reflect the massive investment and effort that went into it. contrast to BRD, where while it's also really hard to optimize small mistakes don't eviscerate your output.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like DRK because the story is the same for everyone, but what it means to you is completely up to your interpretation. It definitely characterizes the blank slate, but to what extent is debatable.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

The turret does sometimes feel like an afterthought, but bishop overload is extremely satisfying.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I managed to get my hands on a house but have no idea what to do with it.

What are the must have items (eg teleportation crystal) and where do I get them from?

I'm wary of just scrolling through the market board as quite a few items seem to be just overpriced vendor items.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Karasu Tengu posted:

PLD: Help everyone, no matter what

DRK: oh my god go away i have better things to do

I find it funny how those two switch places the further into their questlines you go.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Are there any goons playing on Japanese servers?

I think Tonberry is the de facto Australia New Zealand server, so maybe there?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

MCH needs Edgar's FFVI tools. I want to cleave chumps with an aether-powered chainsaw.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Media Bloodbath posted:

What are the must have items (eg teleportation crystal) and where do I get them from?

I'm wary of just scrolling through the market board as quite a few items seem to be just overpriced vendor items.

You can get the aetheryte from your GC vendor. And yes, a lot of housing items are hella overpriced and maybe vendor relists, do your research before buying.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I am hella PEEVED posted:

You can get the aetheryte from your GC vendor. And yes, a lot of housing items are hella overpriced and maybe vendor relists, do your research before buying.

On the flip side it’s hilarious to buy things from the vendor and sell them on the market board

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Media Bloodbath posted:

en.ff14housing.com is a good resource. Has photos of everything and where you can buy/craft it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Get into gardening and get dat jute

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

RME posted:

if you stay on gilgamesh feel free to whisper me, Aisakas Castor, if you ever need anything

Think I might end up staying on Gilgamesh due to necessity. Omega and Excalibur are both closed, and I don't see them opening again anytime soon.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

oh no blimp issue posted:

On the flip side it’s hilarious to buy things from the vendor and sell them on the market board

I'm not judging the practice, as someone who sells Emperor's New Gear for some 10000x markup

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I am hella PEEVED posted:

I'm not judging the practice, as someone who sells Emperor's New Gear for some 10000x markup

It amazes me that people know about the gear, but don't bother to look up how to get it

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Safeword posted:

Think I might end up staying on Gilgamesh due to necessity. Omega and Excalibur are both closed, and I don't see them opening again anytime soon.

Excal and Omega both tend to open during off hours since they're not permanently locked. Try to figure out when 4am EST is your time and try to move your character then for Excal.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I have some BLM questions.
I'm level 66 at the moment and I'm curious about the role that Firestarter and Thundercloud procs play in the endgame rotation, using them seems like they'd get in the way of the "spam as many Fire IVs as humanly possible" way that BLM seems to be playing out to me, are they worth using when they proc?
Using Enochian and Leylines always seems to clip too, is there a way to stop that?

oh no blimp issue fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 31, 2018

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Hi, it looks like we have enough people interested in raid school (on both sides) to make it a thing. Anyone who’s interested in learning Savage/EX content or willing to teach, message me at Estelle, Wandering Dramaturge#4324 on Discord so I can add you and we can figure out run times. My actual static runs a pretty full schedule so it’ll probably only be a couple of hours once or twice a week, but we’ll see exactly how things work out. If nothing else that should help get anyone past the Phantom Train/Chadarnook hump and on to the real Dark Souls of Guardian

BOOTING THE EDUCATOR PROTOCOL
APPROVED BY NINE OUT OF TEN BLUE CATS

Mizar
Jul 28, 2005
Ugh

I have some BLM questions.
I'm level 66 at the moment and I'm curious about the role that Firestarter and Thundercloud procs play in the endgame rotation, using them seems like they'd get in the way of the "spam as many Fire IVs as humanly possible" way that BLM seems to be playing out to me, are they worth using when they proc?
Using Enochian and Leylines always seems to clip too, is there a way to stop that?

At 70 the procs are mainly just used as a quicker way to get back to dumping more fire IV. Firestarter will be used to get back into fire after you replenish your mana. Thundercloud (single target) will only be used to refresh the DoT within your ice phase. The best way to think about them shifts from "Hey free damage!" to "Hey less cast time to get back into exploding poo poo with fire IV"

Enochian should never drop once you get rolling. The only time it does come off is when you screw up and/or the fight immobilizes you for so long you cant transpose.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Why is that quest marker so much bigger and brighter than the others I'm seeing?

Karasu Tengu posted:

Excal and Omega both tend to open during off hours since they're not permanently locked. Try to figure out when 4am EST is your time and try to move your character then for Excal.

4am EST matches up with my prework hours. I'm trying it every morning, on a religious basis. :v:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Mizar posted:

At 70 the procs are mainly just used as a quicker way to get back to dumping more fire IV. Firestarter will be used to get back into fire after you replenish your mana. Thundercloud (single target) will only be used to refresh the DoT within your ice phase. The best way to think about them shifts from "Hey free damage!" to "Hey less cast time to get back into exploding poo poo with fire IV"

Enochian should never drop once you get rolling. The only time it does come off is when you screw up and/or the fight immobilizes you for so long you cant transpose.

Ahhhh, that makes a lot of sense, thanks.
I hadn't thought to use transpose to keep enochian up, that's how people manage it!

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Safeword posted:

Why is that quest marker so much bigger and brighter than the others I'm seeing?
That's an emote called "/eureka", it's on the mogstore.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Ahhhh, that makes a lot of sense, thanks.
I hadn't thought to use transpose to keep enochian up, that's how people manage it!

Maybe I'm reading your question wrong and you know this already, but Enochian stays up when you swap between AF & UI when you cast Blizzard 3 & Fire 3. It's only when you gently caress up and drop your timer or gently caress up and hit Fire/Blizzard 1 or 2 while in the wrong element. Transpose is only good if you are on the move and can't cast something or boss invincibility phases.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 31, 2018

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Mizar posted:

Actually its much better to use them for extra mobility, specially when swiftcast and triplecast are down. You usually want to refresh thunder with a thundercloud whenever the dot is under 6s. And use Firestarter at the end of you astral phase or whenever you feel like enochian is about to drop, at cap you should have enough spell speed that delaying your umbral phase is actually beneficial so that you can cast Foul during it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

as someone who has recently leveled a MCH from 30-40 here is my important contribution to the MCH discussion:

this class is a fuckin mess lol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I've had a lot of fun with MCH and I seem to kick rear end in dungeons, but

* I may be OK at this game
and
* I'm 51

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Playing on my main again, catching up on the MSQ. I'm at 4.3? I think I can predict how this story is gonna work out Tsuyu is going to either become a primal or will summon a primal. The chests that Asahi keeps around are full of crystals. I can see this coming just because Hein emphasizes "the writing of the contract is that we have no primals". Asahi is going to make Tsuyu summon one to nullify the contract

I swear if I'm right...