Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

:crossarms: But how?
The Mjolnir and Rail Gun (with the semi-auto fire mod because its default fire mode is ridiculously ammo inefficient) are also similarly good for destroying rooms after looping, though. Speaking of the Mjolnir, I have no loving clue what its alternate ammo type does ("Inverse Compound").

Terror rapidly increases when you loop and have a weapon capable of clearing out rooms full of elites in half a mag.

As for mjolnir, the normal ammo loses damage every chain, the inverse ammo gains it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Johnny Joestar posted:

i honestly think the art for card quest is fine to me, but at the same time i wouldn't really fault someone for scoping it out and passing on it because of the way it looks overall from the store page

Yeah when this thread first brought it up I thought "drat that's ugly, pass." and only eventually pulled the trigger because I was looking for something cheap with a bit of crunch and this thread was so high on it. It's a fuckin masterpiece and they've done a good job with what they've got art-wise, but I wouldn't fault anyone for going "nope".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Also endboss 2 electric boogaloo just ended my hubris. That loving laser

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm playing FTL again, I lost my old save with all the ships unlocked (and finished on hard) in a cloud save mishap, so i'm trying to get them back. I missed this game. Just beat it with Lanius A on hard, using a set of breach bombs, a chain laser and BL3. The old FTL thread is dead I guess, or at least I couldnt find it without the search. Is anyone else still playing this game?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
It's a thing I keep coming back to. My latest come-back was with Captain's Edition which is a good mod. Otherwise... not a lot to say :v: . Game still rules, and I'm sure I'll be coming back to it a long time.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh, sorry. I got my backer email and it's installed on my computer. I guess the non-backer release is delayed slightly. :shrug:

Is it good? I put it on my Steam wishlist about 2 years ago and at some point removed it because I assumed it was vaporware, but now it's actually releasing.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

AttackBacon posted:

Yeah when this thread first brought it up I thought "drat that's ugly, pass." and only eventually pulled the trigger because I was looking for something cheap with a bit of crunch and this thread was so high on it. It's a fuckin masterpiece and they've done a good job with what they've got art-wise, but I wouldn't fault anyone for going "nope".

Same here. You can't post screenshots of mechanics and screenshots are the first thing a potential buyer sees. On a store page, Card Quest looks like just another card game with a generic name and nothing to make it stand out. Compare it to the store page for something like Monster Slayers and the graphics and sense of flow of Monster Slayers looks a hell of a lot more fun. Why should I spend money on a card clicker when I could get this other one with my character leaping into the air to shoot fireballs at gryphons?

Granted, I did have a lot of fun with Monster Slayers, but Card Quest is, by far, more mechanically interesting and satisfying.

I'm not saying it's the only reason the game didn't do so well, but I think it's a big one. Looks may not matter much to us, but we're a handful of posters in a thread about a genre of games that have traditionally used keyboard characters as graphics, not someone clicking through the Steam store to find their next distraction.

Holy poo poo Chasm is out. I backed that game like five years ago.

Again, same. I thought it died years ago. Has anyone played it yet?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zarick posted:

Is it good? I put it on my Steam wishlist about 2 years ago and at some point removed it because I assumed it was vaporware, but now it's actually releasing.

It's gone into the middle of my backlog, so I won't know for awhile yet. The launch trailer makes the combat look pretty decent, but the real question (for this thread anyway) is how fresh the content is on your second playthrough.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Dancer posted:

It's a thing I keep coming back to. My latest come-back was with Captain's Edition which is a good mod. Otherwise... not a lot to say :v: . Game still rules, and I'm sure I'll be coming back to it a long time.

captain's edition?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

AkumaHokoru posted:

captain's edition?

Yeah! It adds a shitload of new stuff to FTL. My experience is that it makes it a bit harder to reliably win (simply because there are so goddamn many different threats and potential problems to keep pace with) but it's a blast regardless since there's also so goddamn much to do and play with.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hey folks, I've been playing a bunch of Tangledeep recently and as much as I like the game and I'm interested in the story n such I was hoping for some help with progression. While I'm usually down for the roguelike cycle, it seems to take me 2 hours or so to get to the first boss again with a new character, and I'm straining my hand with all the clicking I'm doing (I'm a terrible crawl player that's used to pressing tab and o for explore). Any tips for building characters and upgrading gear? Maybe milestones I should look out for before certain sections? I rather like the spellshaper class because I think the mechanics are fun, but people seem to think they're too micromanagey and lack the defensive to be truly well rounded (I lost a spellshaper/paladin/sword mastery character to a easy dream boss).

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It looks like cogmind had a few reworks since I last played it in uh

It's cool that it's being worked on but now I have to find out all the balance changes and stuff

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm about an hour into Chasm now, and it is very clearly a modern Castlevania with some procgen elements. I also get the feeling that permadeath is optional? I haven't died yet (:smugdog:) but the savepoint placement and overall game pace doesn't feel like it's permadeath-oriented. So far the gameplay's been very competently-implemented, but it's not highly technical. You can take a lot of hits even when not wearing armor, most non-chaff enemies take 2-4 hits.

I'm enjoying myself, but I feel like this is kind of far from roguelike. It's a Metroidvania with procgen elements, though, and that's pretty dang awesome.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

brand engager posted:

It looks like cogmind had a few reworks since I last played it in uh

It's cool that it's being worked on but now I have to find out all the balance changes and stuff

Yeah I actually don't own the game (yet) but I've been subscribed to its news on Steam for a while now, and that dude pushes out long, detailed journal entries & updates on a weekly basis--just like clockwork. It seems like you definitely have a ton to catch up on.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

does chasm have unlockable characters or classes or anything?

edit: hell yeah, another update coming in soon for City of Brass, looks like some kind of sick genie guy https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791459028457/announcements/detail/1717445965604097743

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 31, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm enjoying myself, but I feel like this is kind of far from roguelike. It's a Metroidvania with procgen elements, though, and that's pretty dang awesome.

The dev team agrees with you: https://steamcommunity.com/games/312200/announcements/detail/1678037020104093612

quote:

To address a common misconception, Chasm is not a roguelike with permadeath, though there is an option for that for veteran players.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gungeon feels more generous now and I can definitely get further on average than I could before, so good job patch, but it still feels so determined to say 'gently caress you' all the way. Last game I got 2 ammo drops when I hadn't even come across a chest and had to watch the rat take them, because Gungeon's resource management is on-the-spot. I dedicated some runs to getting the next shortcut step done, and half the time I still didn't have the resources to give the guy by the time I'd cleared out the floor he was on. It still feels absolutely miserable to get hit during a boss fight, because you've just lost current health, a max health boost, and a bunch of metaprogression currency, and it's rapidly training me to hit escape-restart if it happens on the first floor.

I really, really want to like it because it's so stylish and well-presented and it kind of sucks that a silly game full of gun puns is so actively against you at times.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 31, 2018

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does chasm have unlockable characters or classes or anything?

edit: hell yeah, another update coming in soon for City of Brass, looks like some kind of sick genie guy https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791459028457/announcements/detail/1717445965604097743

I really enjoy City of Brass and can't wait for this to come out. I'm still struggling trying to get that "all burdens" achievement... I can barely get to level 4.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm about an hour into Chasm now, and it is very clearly a modern Castlevania with some procgen elements. I also get the feeling that permadeath is optional? I haven't died yet (:smugdog:) but the savepoint placement and overall game pace doesn't feel like it's permadeath-oriented. So far the gameplay's been very competently-implemented, but it's not highly technical. You can take a lot of hits even when not wearing armor, most non-chaff enemies take 2-4 hits.

Same here. The gameplay is exactly like Castlevania: SotN. I can understand why the Steam reviews aren't the most glowing, because SotN is old enough to drink and Chasm ignores almost all of the progress made in the genre since then, but I'm still having all sorts of nostalgic fun with it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Are there any good strategy guides for Cogmind that are up-to-date? I know someone wrote a stealth guide when the game was in the very early stages of beta (and I made it to the last floor using that guide and probably would have won if I'd known to bring an explosive weapon with me) but the current version of the game is barely recognizable compared to then.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I could just use some basic starting point tips. I know stealth is good, there's no kill xp etc. but I just flail around and die really quickly both avoiding fights and fighting. I feel like I'm playing Sol without knowing about the near walls/ standing still stealth bonuses again.

e; Sil

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 1, 2018

GalaxyBounce
May 3, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

I could just use some basic starting point tips. I know stealth is good, there's no kill xp etc. but I just flail around and die really quickly both avoiding fights and fighting. I feel like I'm playing Sol without knowing about the near walls/ standing still stealth bonuses again.

There's some good guides on the official forum that are still relevant: https://www.gridsagegames.com/forums/index.php?topic=412.0

The Discord channel #cogmind in roguelikes is very active and the players there are helpful.

Also there's a significant new update on the way that reworks combat hacking so is a good time to jump back into the game.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
What is everyone's approach to classes in roguelikes? Do you tend to play a type of class across many games? I suck at roguelikes so I usually end up playing the bashy melee class in everything.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I read the descriptions, then usually take the class that sounds most like a glass cannon / evasion type. Then I die a bunch and either move on or pick a bruiser instead.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I feel like if I answered that question directly, it wouldn't be very meaningful.

Like I could say "I tend to play ranged casters" but that's misleading, because it's not really about enjoying wizards or archers or whatever. It's more that:
  • Roguelikes are primarily games about risk minimization.
  • Roguelikes are games of hidden information where exploring reveals (and activates) more threats.
  • Killing something the instant you see it is faster and thus safer than approaching it one step/turn at a time
  • Even if the game does have strong initiation / mobility options for melee characters, moving yourself forward means revealing more unexplored territory, which is dangerous.
So in the end it's not really about me, it's about enemy and class design that habitually underestimates the way hidden information, range, and action economy amplify each other to make one situation both more dangerous and more uncertain than another. If a game compensated (or overcompensated) for these problems, I'd probably play melee instead.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 1, 2018

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Whichever class gives me more fun buttons to press

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I read the descriptions, then usually take the class that sounds most like a glass cannon / evasion type. Then I die a bunch and either move on or pick a bruiser instead.

Burning Rain posted:

Whichever class gives me more fun buttons to press

:same:

One of the things I like about ToME4 is that even the melee classes have lots of fun buttons to press, although even then I tend to pick evasive glass cannon types and then die gruesomely.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
What are people's thoughts about Cryptark? I got it a while back but have just started playing it, I like it a lot. Game really clicked for me once I unlocked the infiltration mech. I love the loop of setting up my loadout, pulling up the map, making a plan to enter the arks, then executing it. Fun when it goes smoothly and even more fun when it goes south and you have to come up with some poo poo on the fly. Art is really excellent as well.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Its fun but real hard.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Cryptark is loving awesome. It feels like a heist-planning game, where you look at the map and make a big plan and then poo poo goes wrong more often than not. But the game feel is just off the charts, from the meaty guns to the impacts from enemy hits to slipping out an airlock and zipping around to another entrance while everything goes quiet around you.

Depending on your attitude towards failure, you may find the roguelike mode to be more appealing, where you only have one life and have to scavenge your gear, but there's no "do horribly stupid things to your mech / your game plan in exchange for more money" challenges. The first time I played I bounced off the main game mode because I kept trying to run a mech with only 3 hull while leaving all the factories and turrets alive, or other dumb poo poo like that. Roguelike mode doesn't have that problem, and after enough practice at it I was more capable at the main game mode, and also more resilient to intentionally sabotaging myself. :v:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hey, a Synthetik update, and the disco floor got that nerf we all wanted!

• Disco Floor voidzones now start to damage after 1 ▶ 1.75 seconds
  • Disco Floor spawn interval from 11 to 12 seconds on average, scales less with difficulty

Not big, but it should work to mitigate the

• Disco Floor now continues to spawn a poison cloud after 1.5 minutes which gets stronger

goddamnit

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I feel like if I answered that question directly, it wouldn't be very meaningful.

Like I could say "I tend to play ranged casters" but that's misleading, because it's not really about enjoying wizards or archers or whatever. It's more that:
  • Roguelikes are primarily games about risk minimization.
  • Roguelikes are games of hidden information where exploring reveals (and activates) more threats.
  • Killing something the instant you see it is faster and thus safer than approaching it one step/turn at a time
  • Even if the game does have strong initiation / mobility options for melee characters, moving yourself forward means revealing more unexplored territory, which is dangerous.
So in the end it's not really about me, it's about enemy and class design that habitually underestimates the way hidden information, range, and action economy amplify each other to make one situation both more dangerous and more uncertain than another. If a game compensated (or overcompensated) for these problems, I'd probably play melee instead.

This is the most delightfully nerdily written way of clearly expressing "the strongest heroic trait in all roguelikes is Cowardice"

We keep seeing roguelike cows being slaughtered in a range of games, I'm waiting for the next "proper" roguelike dungeon basher where aggression and forward momentum are rewarded strongly over range and passivity.

There's a line somewhere between Diablo 3 and Adom that will be fun to play I think.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Stark Fist posted:

What is everyone's approach to classes in roguelikes? Do you tend to play a type of class across many games? I suck at roguelikes so I usually end up playing the bashy melee class in everything.

Whatever is reportedly easiest to win with, or failing info on that at least seems easier to play safely. These are often ranged dudes, maybe magical if that's fun/interesting/safer or killier than shootymans. Invis one-shot crit melee > summoning-assisted melee >>>>>>>>> most any other kind of melee, because getting turned into a pincushion/pile of ash/snowman/etc. before you can make it to all the ranged jerks isn't any fun. Tanky bruisermans play can only take you so far before you run into one too many ranged tanks in a room and surviving quickly becomes about whether you remembered to pack good contingencies or not.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

victrix posted:

This is the most delightfully nerdily written way of clearly expressing "the strongest heroic trait in all roguelikes is Cowardice"

We keep seeing roguelike cows being slaughtered in a range of games, I'm waiting for the next "proper" roguelike dungeon basher where aggression and forward momentum are rewarded strongly over range and passivity.

There's a line somewhere between Diablo 3 and Adom that will be fun to play I think.
Explicitly rewarded, not merely unpunished? Nethack has food pressure, you're likely to starve if you hang out on the upper floors and don't dive down. FTL has explicit pressure in the Fleet wave charging through the system, otherwise you'd likely hit every star in the system.

I can't think of a game that legitimately incentivizes pushing ahead instead of having a mechanism to make staying in place Bad.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah, there's a difference between "you should go fast" and "you should go as slowly as possible without running into this wall." You still want to drag out every sector as long as possible in FTL, there's just a limit to how much you're allowed to do that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Combo meters that time out after awhile are a semi-common way to do this. Like, in Synthetik the Guardian builds up combo stacks as they kill things, which give them damage resistance and regeneration, which makes them more capable of taking out additional targets. So there's definitely an incentive for the Guardian to play aggressively.

One of the things that Nuclear Throne does that's so masterful is to have enemies drop experience and ammo that times out after a short period. So if you want to get the stuff, you have to leave your nice safe cover, often before you've finished clearing the area. That probably falls more under "disincentivizing safe play" than "incentivizing aggressive play" though. The tension between needing to push forward and not wanting to take stupid risks is a major part of Nuclear Throne's long-term appeal.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Combo meters that time out after awhile are a semi-common way to do this. Like, in Synthetik the Guardian builds up combo stacks as they kill things, which give them damage resistance and regeneration, which makes them more capable of taking out additional targets. So there's definitely an incentive for the Guardian to play aggressively.
I think Kameo broke any affinity I had for combo meters. It felt tacked-on, unnecessary, really finicky even in the best case. But that does sound like a legit incentive to keep pushing if used well.

One of the things that Nuclear Throne does that's so masterful is to have enemies drop experience and ammo that times out after a short period. So if you want to get the stuff, you have to leave your nice safe cover, often before you've finished clearing the area. That probably falls more under "disincentivizing safe play" than "incentivizing aggressive play" though. The tension between needing to push forward and not wanting to take stupid risks is a major part of Nuclear Throne's long-term appeal.
A Robot Named Fight! has a couple of follower bots that try to collect scrap. Normally scrap floats around for a long enough time to clear out enemies, but when you have a follower it'll do a happy "I see scrap!" animation then dive right into stacks of enemies. So there's a tiny little pressure to race your own helper bots just to keep scrap.

Speaking of ARNF, it's just updated with an alternate "Forest" area for the first zone.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Wouldn't that kinda also incentivize kiting enemies to fight in an area you've already cleared, so there's zero risk in grabbing the pickups?

...which is basically the default boring/grindy/optimal tactic that often ends up being mandatory in a lot of roguelikes?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

In Hotline Miami, goons react slower when you burst through a doorway giving you a fair bit of time to do multiple actions or cover ground before they start fighting back. Surprise mechanics like that would do melee a world of good.

silentsnack posted:

Wouldn't that kinda also incentivize kiting enemies to fight in an area you've already cleared, so there's zero risk in grabbing the pickups?

...which is basically the default boring/grindy/optimal tactic that often ends up being mandatory in a lot of roguelikes?

Practically impossible in NT actually, only enemies with touch damage follow you around (and the only ones you can outrun are in the desert).

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Nuclear Throne also greatly rewards aggressive play because after a certain point the only way to not get shot is to shoot first.

Also Cryptark loving rules.