Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Holy gently caress shut up about batteries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

spincube posted:

how is it still alive

I never had any of the reported issues with my 6P, I only replaced it with a Pixel 2 because I wanted The New Shiny Thing.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Our 6P is still alive too, husband's main device second hand from me since I couldn't convince him to upgrade outright. It just had a fall recently but I slapped a screen protector on it to try and keep the crack at bay until the Pixel 3 comes out and I could hand me down the Pixel XL (or that was the plan before it died).

Store says Pixel should be back from repair (or replaced) in a few weeks. I don't have a sim converter or the desire to gently caress around with papercrafting a larger sim tray so I've got a Samsung S2 (the phone husband wouldn't let go of, and in fairness it still works unlike my loving pixel) in emergency calls only mode. Thug Lyfe.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Holy gently caress shut up about batteries

I suppose it's possible that if they keep arguing at 100% like this they'll shut up 20% faster in the long run.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My N6 is still alive (though the battery is poo poo at this point, but it just lives on the wireless charger near my bed for video watching when I'm feeling lazy). It'll probably go back into retirement if I ever get 'round to replacing the battery on my N7 (or replacing the N7 itself).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

My understanding is the opposite, that phones aggressively switch to mobile data when idle on wifi because that's preferable. It's certain that it works that way at least, as you can't even use connection to wifi as a reliable presence indicator for home automation as they drop off wifi constantly. I know my Pixel does for a fact and I'd suspect it's the same for any other device.
I've never had this happen and I'm not aware that it's a thing at all. My device is always on the wi-fi network whenever I put it on wi-fi and it uses zero mobile data during those times. All my home automation works constantly and reliably. I also frequently put devices at work on a proxy when testing our app and it never drops to mobile data unless it thinks it has no internet at all on the wi-fi (and when it does do that you get the little "x" symbol on the wi-fi network).

I'm not saying this doesn't exist but it makes zero sense to me if it does. Wi-fi uses less power to run, responds faster, and is free for the user. Why would I ever want my phone to switch back to mobile data on its own?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tunga posted:

I'm not saying this doesn't exist but it makes zero sense to me if it does. Wi-fi uses less power to run, responds faster, and is free for the user. Why would I ever want my phone to switch back to mobile data on its own?

I think that's old advice from a long time ago, when the cellphone modem didn't support WiFi and so it was handled by a separate chip with additional power draw. Later we get phone CPUs with integrated modem chipsets that have native WiFi support so there's no additional overhead.

Kinda like how people used to advocate running your batteries into the ground before recharging due to the memory effect but that was for the older nickel-cadmium batteries and not the newer lithium-ion ones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I've never had this happen and I'm not aware that it's a thing at all. My device is always on the wi-fi network whenever I put it on wi-fi and it uses zero mobile data during those times. All my home automation works constantly and reliably. I also frequently put devices at work on a proxy when testing our app and it never drops to mobile data unless it thinks it has no internet at all on the wi-fi (and when it does do that you get the little "x" symbol on the wi-fi network).

There was a setting for modifying the behavior "Keep Wifi on During Sleep" but it's since been removed. I don't know what the default was (Only while charging?) but as far as I know behavior now is supposed to be limited connectivity until the device wakes, either by the task scheduler governed by Doze or user interaction of any kind.

Honestly I don't think it makes much of a difference because once a device is asleep it's basically in a coma no matter what settings you apply. That's why I just can't believe 15% overnight is normal, pretty much nothing works if the phone is left motionless for two hours. A new phone, with a new battery, on modern Android should use almost no power at all when idle.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think people still think they're damaging their battery by doing that, or something.

I actually have a legit question about this and I keep seeming to find different things online about it, supporting one way or the other, but is wired charging better for your phone than wireless charging overnight?

It makes sense to me if it is, seeing as a wireless charger would keep letting your phone go between 99% and 100% multiple times a night as the phone discharges and then recharges, and that load is placed on the battery, but if it's plugged in, the phone just runs off the cord instead of using the battery at all. That's what I've read and I don't know enough about wireless charging to know if that's true or not.

I have a coworker who tells customers all the time that wired charging is always worse 100% of the time because "cords overcharge your battery and could make it explode!!" and I'm like 110% certain he just says that to sell more wireless chargers, which seems pretty loving scummy to me.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

I actually have a legit question about this and I keep seeming to find different things online about it, supporting one way or the other, but is wired charging better for your phone than wireless charging overnight?

It makes sense to me if it is, seeing as a wireless charger would keep letting your phone go between 99% and 100% multiple times a night as the phone discharges and then recharges, and that load is placed on the battery, but if it's plugged in, the phone just runs off the cord instead of using the battery at all. That's what I've read and I don't know enough about wireless charging to know if that's true or not.

I have a coworker who tells customers all the time that wired charging is always worse 100% of the time because "cords overcharge your battery and could make it explode!!" and I'm like 110% certain he just says that to sell more wireless chargers, which seems pretty loving scummy to me.

Wireless charging is less efficient (can't pump as much power so it's not as fast as Quick Charge, losses due to inverse square law), but otherwise it should be functionally the same. Wireless charging is still plenty fast for most purposes (my Tylt Vu outperforms cheap 1a chargers for sure) and it's very convenient to simply drop the phone in the cradle when sitting down at my desk or going to bed. Flat puck chargers suck though.

I don't think a phone can run purely off the wire otherwise you'd see some odd effects when you hot unplug or your power draw fluctuates, so both systems would have you charge up to 100% and then trickle on/off the same way (someone feel free to chime in if they know I'm wrong here). Your coworker is making poo poo up, he'd be closer to the truth if he explained that wireless reduces wear on the USB port (less of an issue with the newer USB C connectors).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

isndl is right, it's the same thing as far as the battery is concerned, other than the wireless charging being slower. Not sure if the phone can switch on/off the induction plate, but the induced current, or the current from the wire, is only piped into the battery on demand. The charging circuit regulates or cuts the amperage going into the battery depending on the state of charge. When it has reached 100% it will go to zero milliamps for a while, let it discharge below some threshold, then apply a tiny current again to top it back up. The charging symbol will still show all the time, but there's probably apps that could show you the exact charging power. It will never* overcharge like you could do by forgetting to unplug an old school car battery charger.

* unless bugs, malfunctions etc.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

It makes sense to me if it is, seeing as a wireless charger would keep letting your phone go between 99% and 100% multiple times a night

Wired charging does the same thing.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Ola posted:

Not sure if the phone can switch on/off the induction plate,

As far as I understand it, it's part of all wireless charging specifications that the phone can negotiate with the charger. Exact implementation can differ between standards but none of them start pumping power until communication is established and the phone can request the charging be stopped by extension.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

isndl posted:

As far as I understand it, it's part of all wireless charging specifications that the phone can negotiate with the charger. Exact implementation can differ between standards but none of them start pumping power until communication is established and the phone can request the charging be stopped by extension.

Yeah, that makes sense. The electronics to regulate the charging power have some bulk to them, so they aren't included in the phone. The phone tells the charger what power to send.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

This is scummy, but maybe wherever your work only sells really lovely USB-C cables that actually makes things explode. This isn't out of the realm of possibility, sadly.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I have a really weird/unique issue that I'm experiencing with the Pixel Google Assistant and I was wondering if anyone could help.

Both my wife and I have Pixels (the original). We're both on 8.1.0 however when she says, "Ok Google. Play hushing sounds" her phone plays a loop of "shhh" sounds that appear to be run through the Google Podcast app.

When I try to do the same thing it pulls up some jazz album on Play Music and I can't figure out how to get it to duplicate my wife's results. Although the "Shhh" sounds appear on the Google Podcast app on my wife's phone, the track doesn't actually seem to exist in Google Podcasts that I can find.

Anyone know how I can make my Assistant stop looking at Play Music and play these "shhh" sounds? I checked and it isn't the default player in my Assistant settings.

Edit: I figured it out! I had my Assistant set to English (UK) while my wife was using English (US). Switching to English (US) let me use the "play hushing sounds" command. Yay! But..why can't the UK Assistant do that?

Vasler fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 31, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vasler posted:

I have a really weird/unique issue that I'm experiencing with the Pixel Google Assistant and I was wondering if anyone could help.

Both my wife and I have Pixels (the original). We're both on 8.1.0 however when she says, "Ok Google. Play hushing sounds" her phone plays a loop of "shhh" sounds that appear to be run through the Google Podcast app.

When I try to do the same thing it pulls up some jazz album on Play Music and I can't figure out how to get it to duplicate my wife's results. Although the "Shhh" sounds appear on the Google Podcast app on my wife's phone, the track doesn't actually seem to exist in Google Podcasts that I can find.

Anyone know how I can make my Assistant stop looking at Play Music and play these "shhh" sounds? I checked and it isn't the default player in my Assistant settings.

I'm sorry I can't help but this is the most Google question ever.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Clearly you and your wife have advertising profiles that indicate you will be soothed by different sounds

isndl
May 2, 2012
Google UK never got a license to index those sounds. :ohdear:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

elmer chud posted:

Yes, but this is true of lots of open source software. Depending on the device, there can be multiple developers contributing to it or a single person. If you have a device that is popular and has kernel sources and such released by the manufacturer, it will receive regular security updates and OS updates. As far as security updates, however, I remember reading an article that said not all of them are applied despite it being up to date. I can't remember if it omitted some that were not relevant to the device, or some that Lineage itself relied on for functionality; I'm sure you could search for articles about it. Despite the flaws, if you have a phone that has been abandoned by the manufacturer, it can still be better than the alternative of no updates at all. Stability is usually good and, depending on what rom you use, can offer a lot of nice additional features as well.

Yeah. Some of the patches in the monthly security updates happen at the kernel level, others happen at the AOSP level. The onus is on the individual device tree maintainer(s) to apply the kernel-level patches. Sometimes, the patches require driver updates from vendors, and if that hardware is no longer receiving vendor support, you're SOL there. The patch level indicator in the Settings screen on the phone comes from the AOSP side.

LineageOS had a tracker page for each different device tree to show what CVEs were patched or unpatched. It was sort of embarrassing for a lot of devices, though that may have been due to their maintainers' failure to keep the tracker updated. LineageOS has taken it down in the last few months, saying it was a source of misinformation.

Bottom line is that it's a very real possibility your phone could say you have the July patches, but you are missing some because the maintainer didn't or couldn't apply them. Some patches are better than no patches at all, but you definitely shouldn't assume it's bulletproof either.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

This is scummy, but maybe wherever your work only sells really lovely USB-C cables that actually makes things explode. This isn't out of the realm of possibility, sadly.

T-Mobile, so I'd certainly hope not. The real answer is that we get commission from selling poo poo and he's a scumbag.

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

docbeard posted:

I suppose it's possible that if they keep arguing at 100% like this they'll shut up 20% faster in the long run.

What I’ve learned from this thread is they’ll only shut up faster at a rate of 1-2% a year realistically.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Healbot posted:

What I’ve learned from this thread is they’ll only shut up faster at a rate of 1-2% a year realistically.
:hfive:

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Vasler posted:

Edit: I figured it out! I had my Assistant set to English (UK) while my wife was using English (US). Switching to English (US) let me use the "play hushing sounds" command. Yay! But..why can't the UK Assistant do that?

My girlfriend and I just ran a test with this through my Pixel 2 + Google home. It consistently played a Spotify playlist for getting babies to sleep, with shushing sounds, when she asked it to. But when I asked, it played whale sounds. Just Google conforming to gender norms?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dihaploidy posted:

My girlfriend and I just ran a test with this through my Pixel 2 + Google home. It consistently played a Spotify playlist for getting babies to sleep, with shushing sounds, when she asked it to. But when I asked, it played whale sounds. Just Google conforming to gender norms?

Remember when Target knew that teen girl was pregnant before her father did?

Well, congratulations!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been having a weird wifi issue with my Pixel for the last couple weeks. Some apps behave poorly while on wifi but work fine on LTE. For example, Play Store updates apps noticeably slower than it used to, Hungry Cat Picross won't connect to Play Games or even acknowledge a new Tuesday puzzle, and Duolingo won't play any voices or load new lessons. As soon as I switch off wifi these problems all go away. Other apps and general web browsing seem to be fine. What the heck is going on and is there anything I should try short of a factory reset (which I might just wait until P comes out to do)?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/08/p-is-for-power-how-google-tests-tracks-and-improves-android-battery-life/?amp=1

Deep dive on power management with P.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Oh man this seems pretty cool. I feel like Google has made power management a big part of every major Android update. Wasn't that the improved power management one of the most advertised things about Android 5.0?

You guys remember back in the Galaxy Nexus days where Android devices lasted like 4-8 hours and you would have to charge it in the middle of the day everyday? I remember being really jealous of iPhone owners because those devices had such great battery life for the time. We've come a long way from that.

I haven't used an iPhone in quite some time but I keep hearing people complain about their battery performance and my Oneplus 3T still gets through 2 whole days a year and half later.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Oh man this seems pretty cool. I feel like Google has made power management a big part of every major Android update. Wasn't that the improved power management one of the most advertised things about Android 5.0?

Yes, and it's come a long ways like you said.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

64bit_Dophins posted:

You guys remember back in the Galaxy Nexus days where Android devices lasted like 4-8 hours and you would have to charge it in the middle of the day everyday?

Replace that with my Nexus 5x and that was me two months ago.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Uthor posted:

Replace that with my Nexus 5x and that was me two months ago.

Rough... Did you replace it?

Also the Galaxy Nexus was before quickcharge or anything like that so at 1a it would seriously take like 4-5 hours to charge it %0-100 and the battery would only last about 4-8 hours so in order to get the battery to make it through the day I literally walked around with a charging cable and plugged it in whenever I had an opportunity.

Eventually I just said gently caress it and bought a 3600mah aftermarket battery but that one took 12 hours to charge and only got the battery life up to about 12-14 hours.

The Galaxy Nexus really was a steaming pile. Using Android in 2018 is so weird because there aren't a lot of nagging things like that with most phones anymore.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Rough... Did you replace it?

Replaced with a lemon Nokia 6.1 (battery life was fine!) and replaced THAT with a Pixel 2 (battery life usually lasts me from 6 am til 9 pm with plenty of left over unless I play a poo poo load of games).

My Moto X before that had a bug where it would just shut off at 20% battery life.

Before that was a Galaxy Nexus.

So, anything that lasts me all day is amazing!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Trying to troubleshoot either Android auto, google voice\google ok, maps, or contacts problem: I cannot get maps to navigate based off a contacts address. For example, Navigate to Bobs house. Made sure to give maps full access to contacts and phones. Tried it in android auto and same thing: Just some random place called bob.

What does work correctly is google assistant. It knows to pull my contact and its address and send it to maps. It doesn't appear that ok google is the same as google assistant, which i'm not surprised about.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have the same issue. Dunno a solution.

I'm also 50/50 on if will call someone when asked by name. Sometimes works flawlessly, sometimes say "I don't know how to do that".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Honestly it's almost like they've done too much sometimes. If I leave my phone on my desk at work, it turns into a stone with significantly delayed notifications for pretty much everything. Of course I get most of those things on the computer in front of me but it does make it obvious just how much power saving is going on when notifications are getting delayed by two hours.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Honestly it's almost like they've done too much sometimes. If I leave my phone on my desk at work, it turns into a stone with significantly delayed notifications for pretty much everything. Of course I get most of those things on the computer in front of me but it does make it obvious just how much power saving is going on when notifications are getting delayed by two hours.

I agree with this.

If I haven't taken my Pixel out of my pocket for a long time, I can almost guarantee a deluge of notifications at some point.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's nice though is IF one of those notifications are important to you to come in on time, you can always configure the phone so that those apps don't get dozed.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I agree with this.

If I haven't taken my Pixel out of my pocket for a long time, I can almost guarantee a deluge of notifications at some point.

Are you guys on Android P yet? I noticed this a lot on Oreo 8.X but on P, I seem to get E-Mail at normal intervals now. It even properly pauses App Updates until the phone is on/plugged in rather than Timing them out like it did since 7.X+.

Little things but improvements overall.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

What's nice though is IF one of those notifications are important to you to come in on time, you can always configure the phone so that those apps don't get dozed.

I have and they are still delayed. Exempting from optimizations does nothing as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Can't say I have that issue.

I have, admittedly, entirely too many Android devices in my house. If I get an email or a Hangouts message, I experience a cacophony of notification chimes within milliseconds of each other.