Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Can they even do that? I thought Netflix gets to make shows as long as they want? They just can't add new shows or just pick whatever characters they want.

No, the original Netflix/Marvel deal came with an expiration date, which has already been renewed once and is coming close to an end again. In an interview with the Netflix CEO it was mentioned that they have the option to make another season of Luke Cage, plus everything already produced/in-production, but anything beyond that will require a new contract with Disney.

What Netflix has is the right to stream everything they have made for as long as they like, and for some number of years after there shows end, no one else can use the characters they have used. So if Disney wants there to be a Daredevil TV show, it has to be at Netflix or not at all.

Disney learned from Marvels past mistake of licensing out characters in perpetuity from the whole Sony and Fox movie deals, they will never do that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's what I was thinking of, thank you.

So someday we'll get what people will call the proper version of Jessica.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

muscles like this! posted:

A big part of the problem is CC just diluting the brand of roasts by giving them to anyone and everyone.

Outside of Flavor Flav and Donald Trump, who has gotten a roast that isn't "deserving" of one. Even those two are simply a goldmine for jokes even if they aren't comedy/Hollywood darlings.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A big part of the problem is CC just diluting the brand of roasts by giving them to anyone and everyone.

I think the bigger issue is that there aren’t a ton of celebs who are interested in being roasted (or whose agents/publicists would agree to a roast). Not to mention that it’s a relatively hard to get people for the dias, even if the jokes are being written for them. They almost always are, or they’re at least punched up, (hell I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that most of the jokes making fun of Jeff Ross were written by Ross himself). You still have to sell the delivery.

James Franco’s roast had a pretty great dias but that’s because he just called all his comedian friends—but on the other hand it was, like, at least ten years too early for Franco to deserve a roast. Conversely, there were people that could have conceivably appeared at the Willis roast (Tracy Morgan, Sam Jackson, Haley Joel Osment, or heck even Kevin Smith) that probably would have been better choices than, like, Martha Stewart or Dennis Rodman (who almost died on stage figuratively and literally) but from what I can tell all of the above have some kind of beef with Willis.

Well, probably not Osment, but he would have been such an easy target he probably wasn’t interested (“Haley, we all know you’re only here because Jeff wanted someone fatter than him on the dias.” “Haley, I know you always wanted to be a big movie star, well at least you’re one of those things!” “Haley, why couldn’t you have been more like other child stars and have the decency to die before you got old and ugly?”).

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I think the concept of a roast is kind of weird and outdated at this point. Most of the roastees don't really make sense as they're not comedians and/or aren't known for having a sense of humor, plus everyone in the world can roast someone on Twitter anyway.

Norm's roast of Bob Saget was the alpha and the omega; there can be nothing which tops it as he both perfected and destroyed the format simultaneously.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just now watching season 9 of curb and God drat

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Give it a few years and they'll do a "back to its roots" reboot with a hologram of Dean Martin.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

swickles posted:

Outside of Flavor Flav and Donald Trump, who has gotten a roast that isn't "deserving" of one. Even those two are simply a goldmine for jokes even if they aren't comedy/Hollywood darlings.

They gave one to Justin Beiber.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked the Comedy Central roasts of Pam Anderson and Joan Rivers lol

Was it the Trump or Charlie Sheen one where The Situation was on the dias for some reason ??

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Was it the Trump or Charlie Sheen one where The Situation was on the dias for some reason ??

Whitney Cummings nearly got sued by Pam for saying she had AIDS

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Colbert on Moonves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKa5u6mX05o

Also Alan Alda has Parkinsons :smith:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

esperterra posted:

Drew Carey's roast was my favorite followed closely by Denis Leary's.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Colbert is the classiest dude on TV. His interviews suck but if there's ever another 9/11 type thing then everyone will be looking to him for comfort now that Jon Stewart is gone.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I know I'm in the minority but Luke Cage was a huge disappointment for me. I was hoping for a badass action superhero in Hell's Kitchen kind of show but other than a few shootouts and fights it was a slow burn drama. I get that I was probably unrealistic because that'd never work for an ongoing show, I guess I wanted a Luke Cage MCU film and it bums me out to realize I'll probably never see one.

Anyway, my wife made me an old person because she's slowly gotten me to adore Call The Midwife. It's a pretty great show with a lot of heart.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Someone meddled with the timeline again.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/timeless/275317/timeless-revived-one-final-time

quote:

Timeless continues to defy cancellation as NBC announced that they will bring back the fan favorite time travel show for a two-hour movie which will serve as the series finale, tying up loose ends that were left dangling at the end of season two

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol that show can't die can it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

esperterra posted:

Rivers was exactly the sort of person who should get a roast: a long-time central figure in comedy and entertainment.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is more TV adjacent but I've been listening to the podcast "Bubble" and have been enjoying it. It is a story podcast that they bill as a sitcom where you have people playing characters and also a narrator who explains the action. It follows a group of people living in the domed city of Fairhaven, which is surrounded on all sides by a monster filled wasteland called "the Brush." The main characters are played by Alison Becker and Mike Mitchell and they get a lot of funny guest stars.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

lelandjs posted:

Ed Norton was surprisingly funny.

I was wondering how people felt about that. It seemed like he was doing something relatively creative and interesting compared to the other roasters, and I thought it worked.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This is more TV adjacent but I've been listening to the podcast "Bubble" and have been enjoying it. It is a story podcast that they bill as a sitcom where you have people playing characters and also a narrator who explains the action. It follows a group of people living in the domed city of Fairhaven, which is surrounded on all sides by a monster filled wasteland called "the Brush." The main characters are played by Alison Becker and Mike Mitchell and they get a lot of funny guest stars.

+1 on this, it’s excellent

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll be dead in the ground before I listen to a podcast hosted by the infamous Shauna Malwae-Tweep

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
A while ago the cast of Futurama did a radio play with Chris Hardwick on his podcast. It was fun and I was wondering if there were any radio plays in the style of old timey radio shows and this sounds like exactly that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In episode 3 Paul F Tompkins' "Everyone has a price" is just :discourse:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheSource/status/1023924961117982720

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

zoux posted:

I'll be dead in the ground before I listen to a podcast hosted by the infamous Shauna Malwae-Tweep

Shauna Malwae Tweep is a saint you take that back

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I watched season 1 and didn't stick with season 2, but I want to give NBC props for doing this, even if its just that one exec that really liked the show.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
How is Shooter the series? I liked the movie and generally like Ryan Phillipe and the show is in its 3rd season. What say ye goons?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pahuyuth posted:

How is Shooter the series? I liked the movie and generally like Ryan Phillipe and the show is in its 3rd season. What say ye goons?

I like it, Bob Lee Swagger is a poo poo husband and a good shot.
That should be the tag line.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/popbuzz/status/1024308779368755200

True love is A JOKE

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
who's jacob satorious

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Some YouTuber iirc

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I looked it up. It's some 15 year old kid that got famous for making lip sync videos on something called musical.ly

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talk about dating out of your league

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I looked it up. It's some 15 year old kid that got famous for making lip sync videos on something called musical.ly

Ah right, I’ve seen ads for that. And I think the Westworld cast use it while filming? I dunno man

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgLK0Ofa64w

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 1, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm sad her and her girlfriend broke up

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's not him, that's just what he does

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvxRsDpXPGo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's really not a good look to be invested in who a 15 year old girl is dating if you're an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People care waaaaaaay too much about the love lives of famous people.