Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really like the look of Palau's colony setup. When you're using asteroids as anchors you've got two options: prop a Stanford Torus station on the surface or hollow out a spot for an O'Neill Cylinder, and Palau does the latter. I've been watching a series in YouTube called Outward Bound where a guy who sounds like a physicist Elmer Fudd describes ways we could colonize the solar system and turning resource drained asteroids into colony anchors was one of the most practical options he proposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really like the look of Palau's colony setup. When you're using asteroids as anchors you've got two options: prop a Stanford Torus station on the surface or hollow out a spot for an O'Neill Cylinder, and Palau does the latter. I've been watching a series in YouTube called Outward Bound where a guy who sounds like a physicist Elmer Fudd describes ways we could colonize the solar system and turning resource drained asteroids into colony anchors was one of the most practical options he proposed.
Yeah, the idea of "since we can make comfortable artificial habitats in space, everyone should live there instead of making GBS threads up Earth" is pretty credible if you have the former squared away, and the UC does!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Its just easier to put on an eye mask really quickly than contacts. Also its cool and visually distinct so you can just look at Char and instantly go "he's a wearing a mask, he's hiding his identity for some reason" you'd need a whole scene of him messing about with his contacts if it was that.

And yeah, outfit-wise the only bit that stands out from standard Zeon stuff is the colour and the eye mask.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

EthanSteele posted:

Its just easier to put on an eye mask really quickly than contacts. Also its cool and visually distinct so you can just look at Char and instantly go "he's a wearing a mask, he's hiding his identity for some reason" you'd need a whole scene of him messing about with his contacts if it was that.

And yeah, outfit-wise the only bit that stands out from standard Zeon stuff is the colour and the eye mask.

It's just weird Kycilia never goes "take that off, you're clearly hiding something" is all.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Did char ever talk to kycillia personally, before he murdered garma and kycillia figured out he was casval anyway?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

It's just weird Kycilia never goes "take that off, you're clearly hiding something" is all.

Except that it’s a very practical medical device for a soldier and a pilot to wear? It’s armoured and secure enough on his head for it to be unlikely to fall off it battle. Why risk the eyesight of one of your top pilots? Do you think anyone ever said ‘dude, take off your goggles’ to Bask Om?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

IMO Bask Om looked far more imposing with the regular EFF uniform and peaked cap than the Titan uniform.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I seem to recall in the original Gundam one of the Zeonic mooks implied that everyone just assumed that Char was horribly scarred under his mask and decided not to ask about it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
on the topic of the Gundam movie, here's my initial thoughts on the idea that I posted over on /m/ back when the project was announced;

I'd do an MSG adaptation in approximately 4 movies, with some bits from other Early UC series mixed in, both as fanservice and potential spinoff seeding;

Movie 1: adapts episodes 1 through 10, but with the Garma parts happening in space(much like in the MSG Novels) and the events of Re-Entry To Earth and Garma's Fate merged together for the finale(might also move the fight against the Bigro to here so there's an appropriate "Boss" battle), post credits scene is Ghiren's speech at Garma's funeral

Movie 2: adapts episodes 12 through 30(episodes 11, 14 through 18, and 23 are skipped over), the events at Odessa and Jaburo are merged together into a singular battle at Jaburo(with M'Quve using the Gyan here), with the Belfast and Atlantic Ocean battle moved to before them and after Ramba Ral's defeat

Movie 3: adapts episodes 31 through 36 with relatively minimal changes

Movie 4: adapts episodes 37 through 43(the Texas Colony fight against M'Quve in the Gyan is replaced with something else and there might be some other changes)

any thoughts?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

drrockso20 posted:

on the topic of the Gundam movie, here's my initial thoughts on the idea that I posted over on /m/ back when the project was announced;

I'd do an MSG adaptation in approximately 4 movies, with some bits from other Early UC series mixed in, both as fanservice and potential spinoff seeding;

Movie 1: adapts episodes 1 through 10, but with the Garma parts happening in space(much like in the MSG Novels) and the events of Re-Entry To Earth and Garma's Fate merged together for the finale(might also move the fight against the Bigro to here so there's an appropriate "Boss" battle), post credits scene is Ghiren's speech at Garma's funeral

Movie 2: never gets greenlit due to the first one not making enough money.

FTFY

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah the first movie really should be a completely standalone film, in case it doesn't do well enough for a sequel. We don't want another John Carter.

I mean, like, metaphorically we don't want another John Carter. We don't want the Gundam movie to be another John Carter. Because I definitely do want another John Carter movie.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I think a straight adaptation of MSG0079 would be a bad idea, you'd either be gambling on a successful trilogy at the minimum or you'd be compressing it so much that it would be nearly incomprehensible.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Just adapt all of Wing into a 119 minute film.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
John Carter was very good, agreed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The thing is Gundam has to be done as a multipart series, Standalone films just don't work out well for the franchise

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

drrockso20 posted:

The thing is Gundam has to be done as a multipart series, Standalone films just don't work out well for the franchise

They've only done one, ever. G-Saviour. Which was so low budget they couldn't afford to have robots in it.

The other movies have always been compilations, sequels to previous TV shows, or a rushed attempt to cram the pre-production for a TV show into a single movie.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

They've only done one, ever. G-Saviour. Which was so low budget they couldn't afford to have robots in it.

The other movies have always been compilations, sequels to previous TV shows, or a rushed attempt to cram the pre-production for a TV show into a single movie.

That's exactly what I mean

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

In other words, you’re making absolute assertions based on minimal evidence?

Seriously, there is literally nothing stopping anyone from making a competent Gundam movie. All it is is a vague plot and aesthetic template, anyway, which is already heavily based on an incredibly successful movie series, Star Wars.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
We're also talking about a major theatrical release developed by (I think?) a western studio so it's hard to predict how it will go.

Caros
May 14, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Movie 2: adapts episodes 12 through 30(episodes 11, 14 through 18, and 23 are skipped over), the events at Odessa and Jaburo are merged together into a singular battle at Jaburo(with M'Quve using the Gyan here), with the Belfast and Atlantic Ocean battle moved to before them and after Ramba Ral's defeat

Movie 3: adapts episodes 31 through 36 with relatively minimal changes

Movie 4: adapts episodes 37 through 43(the Texas Colony fight against M'Quve in the Gyan is replaced with something else and there might be some other changes)

any thoughts?

This is honestly a pretty bad idea.

Gundam works as a serialized show, and the compilation movies aren't awful, but the whole thing is still very much monster of the week in a lot of senses. Your example would have the 'Gundam' story told over the course of about 8-10 years, depending on production time, and the simple fact of the matter is that the story doesn't really provide closure the way you need it to.

One of the biggest complaints about the Hobbit was taking a largely episodic source and stretching it over the course of three films. The same can be said for what happens when you have single books getting chopped into two pieces, such as the last hunger games book. The result is unsatisfying, because the natural narrative structure gets jumbled up by having climaxes and openings where they don't really belong.

Your suggestion does the same sort of thing, but four times. If you look at most trilogies, you'll notice that each film is more or less self contained in terms of its main plot, even poo poo like twilight has a beginning, middle and end, a central conflict for the individual work that gets resolved by the end of the story, even though sequel hooks exist. A four part Gundam series played mostly straight would be a loving mess because it isn't a story designed to be chopped into four individual entries.

drrockso20 posted:

One failed low budget gundam film does not negate the entire idea of a standalone movie.

Gundam as a series has such staying power because of its AU material. There is zero reason to think that a competent writer couldn't throw together a single, two hour AU story that is entertaining and successful, particularly when given a big western studio budget.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

drrockso20 posted:

None of those are really comparable to a big budget hollywood adaptation imho

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think covering up to Char's reveal by killing Garma would work, establishing scope for it to continue with it clearly ending a chapter and White Base getting some respite.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think covering up to Char's reveal by killing Garma would work, establishing scope for it to continue with it clearly ending a chapter and White Base getting some respite.

That's exactly why I spaced it out the way I did, so that there's a big set piece moment to end each movie on, that for movie 1, Jaburo for movie 2, Solomon for movie 3, and A Baoa Qu for movie 4

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Thought about it and I think they might want to adapt the Wing/00 concept and have a Gundam/Gundams arrive on Earth/then head to space to fight a big bad dictator to free the world from some oppressive dicks. You can write that into a self contained story with a single Gundam/smaller team of them (maybe 3, 5 feels like a lot for a film) doing some early opening stuff showing how great they are in a raid on the baddies. Then they run into some trouble with the big bad individually or as a disjointed team, then come together to gently caress them up at the end. Also would allow for at least one of them to get a cool upgrade before the finale in classic Gundam style.

That's like a standard hollywood superhero plot. Maybe what we will get is G Gundam as a movie. Wouldn't that be great? They could do a lot worse than a marvel movie with Gundams.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 1, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm convinced they're going to do it like they did the Godzilla movie. Take images and general plot stuff from the source material, but changed a bit to fit modern big budget CGI blockbuster movies, and kinda do their own thing with it without taking any real big risks.

So it's not going to be a one-to-one remake of any existing Gundam thing. This is going to be a new Gundam thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Actually, taking inspiration from superhero movies probably isn’t a bad idea. Gundam’s whole innovation was turning a superhero (a mecha pilot) into a weapon of war. Going for the structure of a superhero origin movie and the tone of a war movie would probably work out reasonably well.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yall have ruined my brain and now I'm going to demand random background extras also be wearing mask goggles in future OYW material for verisimilitude sake

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/kusokaisetu/status/996028126508367873

Cursed image

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actually doesn't look that bad. I could see someone making a Master Chief zaku

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm convinced they're going to do it like they did the Godzilla movie. Take images and general plot stuff from the source material, but changed a bit to fit modern big budget CGI blockbuster movies, and kinda do their own thing with it without taking any real big risks.

So it's not going to be a one-to-one remake of any existing Gundam thing. This is going to be a new Gundam thing.

I'm expecting something roughly as close as the GitS movie was and Alita appears to be. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. Partly because it apes the pacing of the first Star Wars trilogy, with a clear but relatively minor victory at first. (Okay, yes, stopping the Death Star was huge. But that's the Rebels playing to not lose instead of playing to win.)

Anyway, they don't make multi-part movie series for just one IP anymore. If you don't have an Avengers team-up planned, or the big swingin' Q-rating to bust out Rogue One & Solo, the reasonable expectation would be one movie. Look at Warcraft, or Ender's Game, or Assssin's Creed. Trilogies are for closers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd be down for a story "set during the war" rather than a story "encompassing the war". Even though 0079 features pivotal moments regarding the OYW, it is the story of Amuro and the White Base crew first and foremost, and not meant to be an exhaustive look at the entire conflict.

So I'd like to see a film set during the OYW at least.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd be down for a story "set during the war" rather than a story "encompassing the war". Even though 0079 features pivotal moments regarding the OYW, it is the story of Amuro and the White Base crew first and foremost, and not meant to be an exhaustive look at the entire conflict.

So I'd like to see a film set during the OYW at least.

No actual Gundam no one will give a poo poo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Notorious ZSB posted:

dude there were so many other Gundams in the One Year War.

Like a dozen Ground Type Gundams
the Full Armor Thunderbolt Gundam
Pixie Gundam
Mudrock Gundam
Gundam Alex

That war was lousy with Gundams

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Nothing I said prevents a Gundam from showing up. You could make a standalone movie about Amuro and White Base fighting their way to Earth culminating in a big battle at Jaburo quite easily and then end it on a "They'll Keep Fighting!" Starship Troopers ending.

Also, at least 28 Ground Gundam units existed, the RX-78-2 got the Heavy Gundam and the Full Scale Development units, at least one functioning FA-78-2 unit is known to have fought at A Baoa Qu.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 2, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
But the movie definitely isn't going to be constrained by any existing continuity. Is going to be it's own AU, even if they call it UC and there's Zeon and the Federation and there's a guy named Amuro and a guy named Char(which I doubt there will be) it's not going to be canonical to MSG, and any sequels will just take it further away.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's all canon under the Dark History.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

My point is if you set it during the OYW and it isn't the RX-78-2 and the White Base I don't think it's going to be that successful. If you're going to do this it's either that, or something totally new. Some Side Story movie isn't going to satisfy anyone but deep Gundam nerds like the people in this thread, it certainly isn't likely to generate the attention you'd want for a major production like this hopefully will be.

Either make it recognizable so the fans will be excited to see that stuff on the big screen, or make it new so that it can have a broad appeal. No one wants to go see a thing their buddy has to explain the nuance of the setting for.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 2, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

any thoughts?

lol if you think there's going to be more than one of these.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's hard to say this far out but it would seem like the power move would be to focus on the One Year War, yeah.

I wonder if they'll whitewash Lalah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Whitewashing Gundam seems especially stupid considering just how varied and multinational the shows often were with their characters. Ryu is a fat mexican man and I won't hear anything else.