Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Valentin posted:

what are folk's thoughts on the artificer UA? I want to make an alchemist character but the class seems one-note and boring to play and I'm thinking I'd be better off reflavoring a full caster.
The gunsmith is a guy with a magic gun who doesn't get a bunch of different special bullets to shoot out of it. It is the worst.

The alchemist has the Battlemaster problem of you taking the potions you like best first, and not unlocking better ones later so you get less and less excited about getting new potions as time goes on. Or at least that was my personal experience. I did enjoy playing a magic drug pusher, but that was not really mechanics supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Toebone posted:

Holy poo poo Mr Tophat you're loving insufferable
He's not insufferable he has D&Ditis. It is curable, but requires serious patient engagement.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

tote up a bags posted:

Hello I just got back from DMing for the first time. It was great, party really gelled and had fun together deciding what to do.
We're doing Lost Mines and they had some fun interactions - they took a hostage in the first goblin fight that lead them to the path to the caves, then abandoned him in the pitfall trap.
One of them got knocked to 0hp but saved by the Cleric, and I think that's when people really started to get involved.
They also tamed the wolves in the cave, which was cool. Just all around great fun and I'm super happy. But I can now never return to playing, after having this power.

Trust me, after a while, you welcome the sessions where all you have to do is show up with your sheet, dice, and some beer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Splicer posted:

He's not insufferable he has D&Ditis. It is curable, but requires serious patient engagement.

And maybe some lurasidone.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
That dude was a cartoon character but at least he got the thread animated with practical advice, which I love.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Andrast posted:

I can’t lie, that sounds like a pretty sweet idea
I am being deadly serious.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I think it's interesting that he'd say something was 'not orcy', while also saying that playing to stereotype is dull.

I played a half orc paladin who was a good, god fearing churchgoer, threw fetes in every village he visited, had an absolute obsession with pies and wore daisy chains in his hair. He would also throw the gently caress down in full orc battle cry - a tradition he learnt from his half orc parents, friends and community in Baldur's Gate who try their hardest to keep their traditions alive in a modern and changing world.

No stereotypes, still a loving orc though, and extremely proud of his heritage and ability to kill the gently caress into stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Reik posted:

I meant more in the line of "the goblin gets rescued and tells the other goblins where they are heading so they get surprised by a goblin assault" or something like that.
Being the good guys means doing the right thing for its own sake, even if it's worse for you personally. Especially if it's worse for you personally. Just make a note of every time they do a bad thing, and occasionally ooc remind them of what assholes they are every time they pretend otherwise ic.

If you want, have their obvious sociopathy have minor. RP effects. If they fail a charisma check, say it's because the target found their cold, dead eyes and poorly emulated emotions off-putting. Failed to convince the goblin queen of something? Well, it's hard to converse honestly with someone you don't really consider "people".

If they're particularly dense have a demon show up and ask them to do horrible things / offer them eeevil stuff / whatever and when they say "Huh?" have him say "Oh wait maybe I have the wrong guys. Are you the folks who <all their evil acts>? Yes? So what's the problem?"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tote up a bags posted:

and I think that's when people really started to get involved.
They also tamed the wolves in the cave, which was cool. Just all around great fun and I'm super happy. But I can now never return to playing, after having this power.

I am also of this type. I enjoy DMing more then playing.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Splicer posted:

Being the good guys means doing the right thing for its own sake, even if it's worse for you personally. Especially if it's worse for you personally. Just make a note of every time they do a bad thing, and occasionally ooc remind them of what assholes they are every time they pretend otherwise ic.

If you want, have their obvious sociopathy have minor. RP effects. If they fail a charisma check, say it's because the target found their cold, dead eyes and poorly emulated emotions off-putting. Failed to convince the goblin queen of something? Well, it's hard to converse honestly with someone you don't really consider "people".

If they're particularly dense have a demon show up and ask them to do horrible things / offer them eeevil stuff / whatever and when they say "Huh?" have him say "Oh wait maybe I have the wrong guys. Are you the folks who <all their evil acts>? Yes? So what's the problem?"

Or do the opposite?

Like, if taking prisoners and letting goblins go instead of executing them bites them in the rear end sometimes, also have being good pay off big, sometimes. Like the goblin you let go shows up with his clan to help when the PCs really need it. Or the Queen you failed the persuasion check against still gives partial success because they did X nice thing that she heard about.

If being kind/heroic literally always bites them in the rear end and never pays off, that's kind of a big theme in the campaign that the PCs should be brutish sociopaths if they have half a brain in their heads. In that campaign, when a demon offers a favorable deal, there's no reason not to take it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah "Being a hero means doing the right thing even if it hurts!... And that's all you get." makes for a good story.

But when you're the one living "Do good, don't profit and get a slap in the face. Do bad, profit immediately and maybe I'll think of some arbitrary punishment later for " with your gaming time? Less room to blame the party leaning into it and offering the passive aggressive "I'm offering you a job because YOU are the real monsters!" demon a discount.

See also "And then the world ended anyways!" as the finale making for a better story, and expecting your DnD party to act impressed by it "Because everyone loves it in call of Chtullu games!" without the requisite satisfying lead up so they feel it was still time well spent to get the prime material plain disintegrated by Lobtar, Omniscient space lobster.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 1, 2018

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
If I want to slap together a class archetype what are your benchmarks for how powerful each archetype ability should be by tier?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hey, the alternative is getting a GM who punishes you for trying to do something heroic at great personal risk or cost constantly which is a real thing I've dealt with. Granted the game also wasn't D&D so it's off topic but still.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Section Z posted:

See also "And then the world ended anyways!" as the finale making for a better story, and expecting your DnD party to act impressed by it "Because everyone loves it in call of Chtullu games!" without the requisite satisfying lead up so they feel it was still time well spent to get the prime material plain disintegrated by Lobtar, Omniscient space lobster.

The next time I run a campaign, I'm going to have to include a sleepy fishing village that propitiates Lobtar, omniscient god of seas, death, and lobsters, in the hopes that they will be spared a little while longer the unceasing hunger that fuels Lobtar's unending growth. Lobtar cares not if people eat crustaceans, because all life begins in the oceans and all life eventually returns, where Lobtar rests and feeds and grows.

Novum posted:

If I want to slap together a class archetype what are your benchmarks for how powerful each archetype ability should be by tier?

I don't have a ton of experience homebrewing in 5e, but good questions to ask would be "what archetype would I normally pick for this class" and "is this better/worse/about the same compared to what already exists." Do you have more details on what you have in mind?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I'm thinking about hacking together some kind of spell stealing mage-killer thing. It might be too much for an archetype but I've never gone anywhere with making new PC progression paths.

e: Also specifically I was thinking about using the Warlock style spell slot system so maybe thats where to start. A warlock archetype.

Novum fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 1, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Somewhat on the subject of how so many people are trigger happy with infernal elements.

But Angels? The dead beat dads of cosmology by comparison. Practically the only times times they ever voluntarily show up are-

A: Offer you can't refuse. "Do this job for us." "Why should we?" "Oh, you WANT the world to end then? Your fault if the world ends, not ours."
B: To make the party look bad.

Forces of light are not doing so hot in making siding with Not Satan look unappealing. Even when you can't so much as have a book imp familiar without it ending up a GM mouthpiece for dark powers half the time. "YOUR SOUL BELONGS TO US" "I just wanted a bonus to arcana checks..."

lightrook posted:

The next time I run a campaign, I'm going to have to include a sleepy fishing village that propitiates Lobtar, omniscient god of seas, death, and lobsters, in the hopes that they will be spared a little while longer the unceasing hunger that fuels Lobtar's unending growth. Lobtar cares not if people eat crustaceans, because all life begins in the oceans and all life eventually returns, where Lobtar rests and feeds and grows.

I don't have a ton of experience homebrewing in 5e, but good questions to ask would be "what archetype would I normally pick for this class" and "is this better/worse/about the same compared to what already exists." Do you have more details on what you have in mind?
It's a dumb joke I came up with at like, 5 am years ago. But I am pleased the rare occasions I bring up "Lobstar. Omnicient space lobster (Who shall smite the unbelievers with his disintegration ray! Call in and donate now!)" it seems to have a universal appeal.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Novum posted:

I'm thinking about hacking together some kind of spell stealing mage-killer thing. It might be too much for an archetype but I've never gone anywhere with making new PC progression paths.

I've always liked the Spelltheif as a concept, but getting it to work and feel fun in game has like been D&D designers bane. Just shoving it off into 17th level was their solution with Arcane Trickster and that's kinda lame. Like it's sort of the archtype that can only really work in a game that admits "oh magic is how everything works" and doesn't do weird splits of it like 3x did. So uh, 5 might be the right place for it.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Someone here made a character sheet on Homebrewery and I want to try something similar. Does anyone have the link to it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Firstborn posted:

I love this website. I mocked this up to put in the sleeve on the front of my character sheet folder.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1POs-5nCG

Very cool website. I was inspired by WebDM's advice to have your Oath tenets in front of you as real touchstones on how you should act. Then I got carried away.
E: Yes, he's only level 2. He's still following them, though.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Maybe a better way to manage it is to break it into two smaller packages of "casting spells" and "killing mages?" Stealing spells is kind of a tricky concept when you're not guaranteed to fight magical enemies.

Level 1: Once per short rest, dust a 30' radius around yourself with anti-magic particles, forcing all casters to make a concentration check of DC (8+proficiency+CHA).

Level 6: Once per short rest, add your CHA modifier to any saving throw made against any magical effect.

Level 10: Gain resistance to damage from spells.

Level 14: Once per long rest, create a 30' antimagic bubble around yourself that stifles all magic except your own.

And maybe if you break someone's concentration or kill a magical enemy, you can regain one use of a per-short rest ability or something.

I dunno, this isn't exactly inspired, but hopefully it's functional.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll say i can kind of relate to the top hat guy, i'm playing my first character for 5e and decided on a warforged rogue because i wanted to go for a fullmetal goon and it seemed like cool fit for the dm's setting. but i'm kind of bummed at the lack of options. Where are the Blackjacks and Scimitars Mearls?

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

OmanyteJackson posted:

I'll say i can kind of relate to the top hat guy, i'm playing my first character for 5e and decided on a warforged rogue because i wanted to go for a fullmetal goon and it seemed like cool fit for the dm's setting. but i'm kind of bummed at the lack of options. Where are the Blackjacks and Scimitars Mearls?

Scimitars are in the book, they're just worse short swords now instead of being the best weapon in the book like they were in 3x, or the balanced but probably not good of 4e.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Remove independent weapon stats, let people pick poo poo for flavor.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

Hell yeah.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

ChaseSP posted:

How do I make my characters have flaws if the flaws are not literally mechanically enforced though

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You got two handers, one handers, one handers with shield and two one handers.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

You got two handers, one handers, one handers with shield and two one handers.

The 13th Age model.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Plenty do it as well. It's dumb to have a bunch of stuff that just exists as bloat if the weapons themselves are barely different in their own classes.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
More weapon tags than finesse and versatile would be nice for starters.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kaysette posted:

1d8 Blunt Crowbar with Finesse. When pressed why just say "Hey, you gotta have finesse to break and enter quietly with one of these things!"

ChaseSP posted:

Plenty do it as well. It's dumb to have a bunch of stuff that just exists as bloat if the weapons themselves are barely different in their own classes.
I've seen unironic "This isn't 4th edition! They don't need to be balanced!" responses when asking very basic questions like "Why is a trident just a the spear but it needs military proficiency and costs more?"

That and faux verisimilitude like "The hand crossbow costs 75 gold because clockwork is expensive in ye olden times!" seem to be the reasoning behind the 5th edition weapons table.

I will give it credit for a consistent damage scale across melee weapon sizes though. Which is halfway there. 1d6 tops if it's a light weapon. 1d8 tops one handed. 1d10 tops for versatile. 2d6 if you want your absurdly huge sword/hammer. (at least in the PHB, did they break this yet?)

EDIT: Wacky items pricing reminds me. Getting away with buying low end of the price scale +1 splint mail no problem, after the GM in great detail explains why mundane full plate deserves to be absurdly expensive is both amazing and sad at the same time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 1, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Kaysette posted:

PF 2e is going that route, but they haven't really put out enough info to tell if it's going to produce a cool spread of options to pick from or if it'll just be a bunch of fiddly bullshit.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kaysette posted:

What kinds of things are you looking for?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Elysiume posted:

PF 2e is going that route, but they haven't really put out enough info to tell if it's going to produce a cool spread of options to pick from or if it'll just be a bunch of fiddly bullshit.

What does your heart tell you?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AlphaDog posted:

Light, Heavy, Loading, and Reach

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Conspiratiorist posted:

What does your heart tell you?
I'm keeping my PF 2e negativity restricted to the PF thread

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

AlphaDog posted:

Ideally I’d like to see more of the weapon feats rolled into items themselves as a baseline without going full GURPS on the realism bit.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Looking at Iron Heroes, which is where weapon descriptors originated AFAIK, the list of descriptors is: Charger, Disarm, Double, Finesse, Nonlethal, Power, Reach, Set, Trip, Unarmed

So apart from double weapons (which frankly deserve to stay gone), the others are just rolling feats like Mounted Combat and Improved Disarm into the weapon itself.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
man, a level in cleric for a lore bard rules. hopping from 14 to 19 ac plus my healing words and mass cure wounds is mad beefy, AND i get bless.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

What would the unified weapon model look like in 5e?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I liked weapons in the 4e Gamma World system though that might have made more sense in that because weapons were stuff like "I have a hunk of rebar with some concrete still on." But yeah I don't know why there needs to be stats for weapons outside of like one/two handed str, one/two handed dex, ranged. Also I liked how they handled ammo, but it made more sense in a system where you had guns but bullets were really hard to come by. If you fired your gun once in a encounter, you're conserving ammo and it's fine. If you fire more than one an encounter, you're not conserving ammo and after the encounter you will no longer have ammo. Bullets were binary.