Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sub Rosa posted:

The Steam Link is on sale as part of Steam's Summer Sale. I know people have gotten Kodi running on it, how does it do?

Runs very close to unusably poorly in my experience, just regular navigation in the UI is pretty slow and bad. Twitch streams drop frames, playing media over my network from my plex server also basically doesn't work - audio desync almost instantly. So now I use it to stream Kodi running on my actual PC. Kind of super dumb but that works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I had poor luck with it. As I recall it was crashy. A pi 3 is better. Though it could be working better now. I bought another steam link though, cause that deal is sweet.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My Shield TV updated so I installed a Kodi v18 build, and now my screen is zoomed in so I can only see the top right when I set it to 1920x1080. If I go down to 1280x720 it's fine. The Shield is set to 1920x1080 so I'm not sure what else I can check...

Currently backing up the install so I can install a fresh copy.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I picked up a Firestick on PrimeDay for the bedroom. Is MySQL still the best way to go for queue syncing? I don't have a plex server so I was wondering if there are any other newer methods.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's worth installing emby or Plex server and using their corresponding Kodi syncing plugin because it's really easy to edit your library that way.

If you're philosophically opposed to this for some reason, then yeah, use MySQL.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

It's worth installing emby or Plex server and using their corresponding Kodi syncing plugin because it's really easy to edit your library that way.

That's certainly a big selling point, but I think the bigger selling point is that you don't have to gently caress around with importing your entire library onto each machine. Just install the Emby addon, log in, and you're all set.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's been so long since I used MySQL, but I thought you didn't have to import anything? You just point it at MySQL and that's then your database, no importing required.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

It's been so long since I used MySQL, but I thought you didn't have to import anything? You just point it at MySQL and that's then your database, no importing required.

Maybe I'm misremembering. It's been a long long time since I've messed with it, and I always had trouble with it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hi! Looking for advice! I have an old computer I'm putting a GT 1030 into (4K+ decoding) to use as a media PC. I haven't done one of these in a while. I want to use it for Kodi (to replace a rpi) and possibly as a steamlink replacement. We also have netflix and amazon prime. Is there a recommended setup for this type of thing? Is this the right place to ask?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

Hi! Looking for advice! I have an old computer I'm putting a GT 1030 into (4K+ decoding) to use as a media PC. I haven't done one of these in a while. I want to use it for Kodi (to replace a rpi) and possibly as a steamlink replacement. We also have netflix and amazon prime. Is there a recommended setup for this type of thing? Is this the right place to ask?

I hate to be always saying this, but a Shield TV is way better than an old PC and GT 1030 for all of the things you mention.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I hate to be always saying this, but a Shield TV is way better than an old PC and GT 1030 for all of the things you mention.

I've been using Kodi for 10 years now and this is correct. Once I go a Shield everything was so much easier, especially if you are going to use any streaming service that has its own app.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Does this include emulation? 4K? A bunch of controllers? Oh poo poo, I just remembered, I have reasons for wanting to run windows. Any suggestions with that restriction in place?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LRADIKAL posted:

Does this include emulation? 4K? A bunch of controllers? Oh poo poo, I just remembered, I have reasons for wanting to run windows. Any suggestions with that restriction in place?

Emulation is solid on Shield for anything up to PS1. you could stream emulation from a PC if you wanted to do something newer than that.

4k playback and game streaming works fine. you can stream games using Nvidia's gamestream or the steam client.

you can use Nvidia's controller which are passable or you can use Xbox 360 (and Xbox one, I think) controllers if you have the proper wireless adaptor.

Most importantly for a lot of people, the Shield's UI is designed to be used with a remote or a controller and on a TV. It also has good apps for Amazon and Netflix that work right with out hacks.

There is practically no reason to want to use a PC over a Shield for your video and game streaming.

The next version of Kodi has some stuff that ties in to Android TV's main screen that is an added bonus.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

Does this include emulation?
yes
yes

LRADIKAL posted:

A bunch of controllers?
yes

Lowen SoDium posted:

The next version of Kodi has some stuff that ties in to Android TV's main screen that is an added bonus.

It feels like I've been hearing about this for years. When the hell is this thing coming out?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thermopyle posted:

You are correct, MySQL is trivial once you have it set up properly. It's definitely a lot harder to set up, but once you're there it's just a dozen or so lines you paste in to advancedsettings.xml and you're set for a view-only client.

If you want to be able to scan content to the library from a given machine you need to set up your sources appropriately as well from within the UI, but most users won't need that anywhere other than their primary one or two stations.

Thermopyle posted:

It feels like I've been hearing about this for years. When the hell is this thing coming out?
The feature is in Kodi 18, which released Alpha 2 about a month ago and has a constant stream of nightlies if you want to play with it. Warning that v18 does use new database versions so if you're using MySQL you can not use it side by side with v17 clients.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 25, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ok, you have convinced me. Cancelled my video card and power supply, can sell my old components and probably break even. Just get the 199$ version with remote and controller?

NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Streaming Media Player with Remote & Game Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1NT9Y6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fzpwBbEB9A6C4

Oh! Will it effectively replace the Chromecast? As in able to play YouTube and music from my phone?

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 25, 2018

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LRADIKAL posted:

Ok, you have convinced me. Cancelled my video card and power supply, can sell my old components and probably break even. Just get the 199$ version with remote and controller?

NVIDIA SHIELD TV | Streaming Media Player with Remote & Game Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1NT9Y6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fzpwBbEB9A6C4

Oh! Will it effectively replace the Chromecast? As in able to play YouTube and music from my phone?

Yes, it does everything a Chromecast does, in addition to everything. It's up to you if you want to get the one with the controller or not. depends if you are going to use it or replace it with Xbox controllers.

There is little reason to get the Pro version unless you plan on storing videos on the Shield instead of on a PC or a NAS on your network.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anything I need to keep in mind for this thing? Software to install? Common mistakes? Is there a recommended guide? Can I do the steam link thing or do I need to use the Nvidia tech?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

Anything I need to keep in mind for this thing? Software to install? Common mistakes? Is there a recommended guide? Can I do the steam link thing or do I need to use the Nvidia tech?

Just plug it in and go. It native Android so you open the play store and download Kodi. No need to root or jailbreak or sideload, etc. You can even get the emulators form the Play store and go to town.

You'll see a menu for nVidia games and I think most of them use Steam so you just need to log in and download. I'll let others chime in on streaming.

There are some decent games in Play Store as well, like Knights Of the Old Republic, that play pretty well on the Shield.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

It's an appliance.

You just install the apps you want.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

LRADIKAL posted:

Leave your hacks and config files at the door, friend. It's going to be alright.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LRADIKAL posted:

Can I do the steam link thing or do I need to use the Nvidia tech?

Either.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Milkman posted:

Leave your hacks and config files at the door, friend. It's going to be alright.

Let go of all of it, life is good on this side

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So far, so good. I get to use only the shield remote, including IR to control the TV's volume. The shield also can turn off the TV. I always spend like 2 hours flailing at Kodi to get my library setup even though it should take like 5 minutes.

Chromecast functionality is great, and with this Dayton auto on amp I got, the wife doesn't even need to worry about turning it on. The one remote dream!

Still need to set up some game controllers for steam stuff.

Thanks for helping me out!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LRADIKAL posted:

So far, so good. I get to use only the shield remote, including IR to control the TV's volume. The shield also can turn off the TV. I always spend like 2 hours flailing at Kodi to get my library setup even though it should take like 5 minutes.

Chromecast functionality is great, and with this Dayton auto on amp I got, the wife doesn't even need to worry about turning it on. The one remote dream!

Still need to set up some game controllers for steam stuff.

Thanks for helping me out!

If your TV supports CEC, try turning that on in the shield settings. It's a million times better than IR control. It's fairly universal for TVs made in the last 5 or so years.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ive found that I can't turn off my Shields because my Emby and Kodi libraries get out of sync when Emby adds new stuff to the library or someone watches something on another TV.

That means I've got to turn off the CEC stuff.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

Ive found that I can't turn off my Shields because my Emby and Kodi libraries get out of sync when Emby adds new stuff to the library or someone watches something on another TV.

That means I've got to turn off the CEC stuff.

That's strange. I don't have that issue. Are you using the Kodi Companion plug in on Emby and Kodi (previously called Kodi fast sync)? I use that and it updates Kodi in about 5 seconds after it launches. It syncs the library with new stuff and updates watch states.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

That's strange. I don't have that issue. Are you using the Kodi Companion plug in on Emby and Kodi (previously called Kodi fast sync)? I use that and it updates Kodi in about 5 seconds after it launches. It syncs the library with new stuff and updates watch states.

Yeah. Mine syncs every time I start Kodi, but for some reason, some of the time, it just misses stuff.

It's very confusing and hard to troubleshoot.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah. Mine syncs every time I start Kodi, but for some reason, some of the time, it just misses stuff.

It's very confusing and hard to troubleshoot.

Do you have the emby plugin set to do a quick scan or a full scan? Full scan is a little slower, but I had problems with missing library items when I used quick scan.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do you have the emby plugin set to do a quick scan or a full scan? Full scan is a little slower, but I had problems with missing library items when I used quick scan.

You mean the fast startup setting? I think thats what its called...the one that requires the server plugin.

I do use that because my large library takes like 10 minutes to do a full scan of.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

You mean the fast startup setting? I think thats what its called...the one that requires the server plugin.

I do use that because my large library takes like 10 minutes to do a full scan of.

:shittypop: How big is your library? I've never had a huge library, but at its largest, I don't think a full scan ever took more than 10-15 seconds.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

:shittypop: How big is your library? I've never had a huge library, but at its largest, I don't think a full scan ever took more than 10-15 seconds.

Like 20 thousand files...

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

My NAS server needs to be retired soon. I've been looking at running Plex on a RPi3 but my understanding is that I only need to transcode on devices that can't. I have a FireTV stick and a Shield so they should do just fine on their own, right? I'd only be using Plex to host the library and tracked watched status

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
The firetv stick will almost certainly have to transcode some media, especially if it's at a high bitrate. The shield should be mostly fine, but it may well also need to transcode if there is an audio stream it can't play for example, or if you have subtitles. You'd be better off using the shield as the server rather than a rpi, but other people will have more experience using them than me.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ahh ok. So it looks like I can just have Plex (running on the shield) access my drives over the work and then it encodes them. I was thinking that all had to be done on one box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS4VoUC1YM4

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Ahh ok. So it looks like I can just have Plex (running on the shield) access my drives over the work and then it encodes them. I was thinking that all had to be done on one box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS4VoUC1YM4

whatever you have Plex server running on, you want it to be the strongest point of hardware you have or at the least have a supported GPU inside to do the transcoding work for you if you have devices that will require media to be transcoded on the fly. If you are running just 1 or 2 streams at a time you would be fine with the shield being the server. I have 8 users currently on my plex home. 3 users are on my home network, the other 5 are remotes, the remote ones usually require transcoding because 1. I don't feel like walking them step by step to change the settings to allow original content to be streamed to them because they are mostly watching on their smart tv's via wifi and 2. im not entirely sure what they're said client can handle or cannot handle. I also run a Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 @ 3.40GHz with 16gb ECC RAM with a Nvidia Quadro 600 GPU to offload any transcoding the cpu can't handle which the cpu usually handles 4-5 streams on its own no problem. All of my equipment in house can direct play my media, my one buddy who is a remote user also can so I did have him set his client up to direct play all his stuff, but I know he is hardwired into his network instead of wifi. One day I might ask each of my remote users to try changing their settings to direct play instead of auto transcoding whatever it does.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
There's a Plex thread, by the way.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

With Kodi, can you send the audio to a bluetooth headset, and switch the audio out (speakers / headset) with a remote?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Pertplus posted:

With Kodi, can you send the audio to a bluetooth headset, and switch the audio out (speakers / headset) with a remote?

I know for sure you could with the pi version. You'd just set the audio output in the options to the BT device. Depending on the device you'd also need to dick around with the offset but that's pretty easy to adjust in the OSD audio menu too.

You could also edit the key config to link to the button press on your media center remote. I'm sure you could find more info on this online, I personally use a harmony and link buttons that way.

e: I'd recommend the audio profiles plugin..you could just save the BT settings as it's own profile that you could recall quickly. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200081
"In addon settings enable option "Show audio stream select menu on start playing" This will show popup to choose audio profile every time when you start play." you could also just enable that option and it'd popup a dialogue asking you to choose between audio profiles and then you wouldn't need to dick around with keybindings to the remote for it

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

great thanks