Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This scrappy lil' Fighter may not look like much, but it has 36 primary slots and 10 Tech slots :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I know that putting upgrades next to things is better, but are they supposed to light up green? I have my analyzer surrounded by 2 upgrades and there is no 'green' around the border like there is with my mining laser and it's upgrade.

It's different colors depending on the specific module. Scanner upgrades are a white border.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

xilni posted:

You can put three in your tech tab and three in your inventory

gently caress yes

precision posted:

This scrappy lil' Fighter may not look like much, but it has 36 primary slots and 10 Tech slots :stare:

I'm seeing a lot of A-Wing here and liking it. Also the slot count :stonk: Where'd you find it?

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 1, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

xilni posted:

So is there a max slot for exploration or combat ships? Do only haulers reach 48?

Yes. Fighters and explorers max is 38, I believe. Each class has a type (S/M/L) based on the ship's actual look. Bigger model = more slots.

theblackw0lf posted:

If I remember correctly you purchase those through the blueprint analyzer thing

I mainly get nanites from those :mad:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waffle House posted:

gently caress yes

I'm seeing a lot of A-Wing here and liking it. Also the slot count :stonk: Where'd you find it?

An A-Wing with TIE-fighter wings/panels. Isn't that from Clone Wars?

Also:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 1, 2018

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Waffle House posted:

gently caress yes

This is your bible, read it and know it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yes. Fighters and explorers max is 38, I believe. Each class has a type (S/M/L) based on the ship's actual look. Bigger model = more slots.

I mainly get nanites from those :mad:

So do the large types of explorerers or fighters trade away their combat effectiveness or warp range for that higher slot count?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I found a sick exotics that looks like it has a single vertical fin when landed but when it takes off the fin splits in three parts lengthwise and the outer two rotate down to form a bottom vertical fin. Hell yes

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I decided to have a nose at the Galactic Atlas website that Hellogames put up when they launched Next. I wanted to see if I could find out where I was.

So I plonked a signal booster down on a nice planet with no hostile conditions or storms, where I intend to make my first base when I get around to it. It reminds me of one of the ones from Mass Effect One, with small lakes everywhere surrounded by large hills, all green grass and blue skies, and plenty of herds of wildlife running around. When you activate the signal booster it gives you a set of co-oordinates: in my case ZAQUE:0247:007D:03ED:0113

Putting those co-ordinates straight in to the Find My Location didn't work, and I couldn't make any sense of the glyphs that supposedly corresponded to the alphanumerical digits in the co-oordinates, so I did a bit of googling and came across this site: https://pahefu.github.io/pilgrimstarpath/

Apparently when you find portals (I never got far enough in the original game to ever come across this or if I did I forgot all about it) you get a series of glyphs that the game translates into the 12-digit co-ordinates which this site can apparently also do. Now, I don't know if this site does it correctly, or if it has updated for the NEXT update, but on the second link down on the the sidebar there is a bit that says Get Glyphs for Your Location. I put 0247:007D:03ED:0113 into there and clicked, and it gave me 12 glyphs which I put into the galactic atlas and apparently I'm here:

edit:

Cactus fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 1, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Welp, on my old save it seems that not only are freighter interactions broken, but base interactions as well. I decided that since I couldn't complete the quest to reclaim my old base, I would just build a new one. After building terminals, they are completely bugged, the NPCs spawn into the floor, and their quests are not able to be completed, no matter what I do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cactus posted:

I decided to have a nose at the Galactic Atlas website that Hellogames put up when they launched Next. I wanted to see if I could find out where I was.

Goddamn I am still at the very edge of the galaxy :mad:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cactus posted:

See, I wonder if everything's been renamed since Next. When I last played a year ago, I was naming solar systems as I'd warp to them, so I could easily tell if I'd been there or not (the cataloguing system used to be much more finicky and obtuse). If not, there's still a bunch of systems out there called things like 'Delta 02 Sisko' and 'Phi 07 Lister'.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man they really exacerbated the difference in handling between classes. This Fighter handles great and skims over the surface of planets like twice as fast as the Hauler I had, which turned like a Sherman tank and felt aaaaawful to pilot.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

precision posted:

Goddamn I am still at the very edge of the galaxy :mad:

It seems pretty big. Can anyone insane enough to have done both journeys compare this to Elite Dangerous' trip to Sag A*? In an Asp kitted out for medium-to-long jumps that took me a couple of months and about 200 episodes of the Crate and Crowbar to get there and back. How does NMS compare?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cactus posted:

It seems pretty big. Can anyone insane enough to have done both journeys compare this to Elite Dangerous' trip to Sag A*? In an Asp kitted out for medium-to-long jumps that took me a couple of months and about 200 episodes of the Crate and Crowbar to get there and back. How does NMS compare?

NMS has black holes (and now portals) that can give you serious skips on your journey to the core.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

See, I wonder if everything's been renamed since Next. When I last played a year ago, I was naming solar systems as I'd warp to them, so I could easily tell if I'd been there or not (the cataloguing system used to be much more finicky and obtuse). If not, there's still a bunch of systems out there called things like 'Delta 02 Sisko' and 'Phi 07 Lister'.

On my old save, I had 3 named systems, and two of them were renamed to random stuff in Next. None of my discovered planets kept their names, but the discovered animals on them did, even though I am almost positive that they don't exist anymore since every planet was regenerated for the patch.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You have learned the Vy'keen word for 'mating'

:stonk:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

precision posted:

Man they really exacerbated the difference in handling between classes. This Fighter handles great and skims over the surface of planets like twice as fast as the Hauler I had, which turned like a Sherman tank and felt aaaaawful to pilot.

I have a pretty awful C class fighter that doesn't feel so great imo. What sucks is that I have like 4 million bux and am looking for a new fighter but everything is C class with nearly identical stats all worth under 1 million, or B class and costing 10 million plus. I saw a B class fighter at 40 million. :stare:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think I read somewhere that all those region names are player-community created, and Hello Games have just run with it and made them cannon.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

NMS has black holes (and now portals) that can give you serious skips on your journey to the core.

Yeah I forgot about the black holes. God I was so stoned 2 years ago when I played this. I played Elite before the Neutron highway was introduced so that took me a lot longer than I imagine it takes nowadays.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stare-Out posted:

You have learned the Vy'keen word for 'mating'

:stonk:

Milestone Reached. :wiggle:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I need some good podcast recommendations. I only listen to like 3 and I'm all caught up on those. Right now I'm listening to Steven Tyler being the world's biggest idiot on Joe Rogan and I feel like I could be listening to something way better.

Obviously I understand why but it really sucks that streaming on PS4 disables Spotify.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

victrix posted:

:yeah:

Also repostin

oh hell yeah

No more burning mushrooms for me!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 1, 2018

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

precision posted:

I need some good podcast recommendations. I only listen to like 3 and I'm all caught up on those. Right now I'm listening to Steven Tyler being the world's biggest idiot on Joe Rogan and I feel like I could be listening to something way better.

Obviously I understand why but it really sucks that streaming on PS4 disables Spotify.

Stuff You Should Know was my main sustainer on a recent cross-country drive. It's basically Random Wikipedia Article: The Podcast and they have like a 1000+ episode back catalog that should get you to the center of the galaxy easily.

It's sometimes a little frustrating because the hosts have like zero actual expertise in anything, but it's good background nerd banter for mining rocks and scanning penis monsters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Can confirm that putting 3 S-class movement upgrades in your main suit and 3 in the Tech slots is busted and insane and everyone needs to do it right now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

precision posted:

Can confirm that putting 3 S-class movement upgrades in your main suit and 3 in the Tech slots is busted and insane and everyone needs to do it right now.

life support too. I can't remember the last time i charged it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Where do I buy the colored stardrives? Are they listed under upgrades in the ship shops on stations?

Quest rewards of tech seem busted as gently caress, I just get B class life support modules over and over :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

We did it, team! First batch

victrix posted:

Where do I buy the colored stardrives? Are they listed under upgrades in the ship shops on stations?

Quest rewards of tech seem busted as gently caress, I just get B class life support modules over and over :(

You have to buy the blueprints from the ship parts vendor. Each successive upgrade needs a mineral only found in systems the last one can warp to.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

We did it, team! First batch

You have to buy the blueprints from the ship parts vendor. Each successive upgrade needs a mineral only found in systems the last one can warp to.

Nice! How many of the required recipes are from manufacturing sites?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Has anyone tried digging a tunnel to avoid the sentinels and closing it off?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Can anyone tell me if getting the free freighter is tied to doing any story missions? Like if I keep doing them will I eventually get a mission to get the freighter or do I need to find it by randomly coming across it?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Beastie posted:

Has anyone tried digging a tunnel to avoid the sentinels and closing it off?

Yes. They're liable to warp right through. Or, once, I somehow got teleported up to the surface instead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well this is new to me:

A... cube farm? Each cube gives a Navigation Data. Doesn't piss off Sentinels.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nice! How many of the required recipes are from manufacturing sites?

Anyone have a good break down of the signal booster nav data options, like what each category is likely to get you in terms of rewards. For example, distress signals can yield crashed freighters, which themselves can yield antimatter, superconductors, warp cells, etc. Distress signals can also yield crashed ships which you can claim for free and fix up or trade off. What are the other possibilities for rewards with Distress signals? I know the artifact section will get you monoliths and ruins, which can either get you reputation stuff or, if you are lucky, lost artificacts worth 100k-millions of units. Are habitable bases just random buildings? Are those worth playing a chip on? What about the secure signals channel?

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Can anyone tell me if getting the free freighter is tied to doing any story missions? Like if I keep doing them will I eventually get a mission to get the freighter or do I need to find it by randomly coming across it?

I think the mission is triggered similarly to the antimatter blueprint, in that after a warp jump, the game notifies you.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I got sick of sentinels like 2 years ago and this mod: https://nomansskymods.com/mods/no-pirates-no-random-sentinels-all-optional/ has worked for every version. Pirates I don't care as much about they're easy enough to kill but omg getting rid of random sentinels has made things so much better. The good (?) thing is you can still get them to spawn if you need to farm - they will spawn when you take certain things (like venom sacs) and there are still the scripted ones in places like abandoned manufacturing plants. Is working for me in Next (steam).

Makes starting out easier, less hassle while mining, particularly useful if you start on a fiery radioactive hellhole and have 10 seconds to mine before the next storm and don't need the little shits loving up your day even more - which will be everyone because it took me 5 restarts to get a planet that I could even outlast the 'your equipment is loading' part of the start sequence.

Also you can't sell a starship, only exchange right? I have like 4 junked ones I kept claiming to salvage any working tech from, then I'd leave them on the planet thinking once I left it'd despawn but now I have a freighter and they have all returned home and are so junky I can't even afford to trade them. No way to just plain old delete/scrap/sell them?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

Anyone have a good break down of the signal booster nav data options, like what each category is likely to get you in terms of rewards. For example, distress signals can yield crashed freighters, which themselves can yield antimatter, superconductors, warp cells, etc. Distress signals can also yield crashed ships which you can claim for free and fix up or trade off. What are the other possibilities for rewards with Distress signals? I know the artifact section will get you monoliths and ruins, which can either get you reputation stuff or, if you are lucky, lost artificacts worth 100k-millions of units. Are habitable bases just random buildings? Are those worth playing a chip on? What about the secure signals channel?

I think the mission is triggered similarly to the antimatter blueprint, in that after a warp jump, the game notifies you.

Secure signals are for manufacturing and special operations buildings (for recipes). Manufacturing are the single room buildings and spec have a 2nd area you can access with a V2 pass.

precision posted:

Well this is new to me:

I just found one of these like 10 steps away from my base. Didn't even know it was there until I was heading back from a supply run,

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Just found a lovely planet with caves full of cobalt-yielding minerals and humming eggs. Bit poisonous but I can deal. Then I look in the sky and:

I have named them 'NOPE'.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I need frost crystals so I can really get into making my base and came across a planet that says it has them but I can't find them anywhere. Did I just get unlucky or are they in specific places and I'm just not looking in the right area?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On PS4, I've had 3 crashes since the patch this morning and I've only played about 3 hours. Previous to that, NEXT had only crashed on me once. =\

I hope the patches keep coming at a good clip until the most egregious stuff is fixed (I'm still getting occasional GENERIC_MSN_TXT, but less than before). The fact that NEXT has created a mega sales bump gives me confidence they'll try to patch very fast.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

precision posted:

Well this is new to me:

Make sure you grab all of those, even if you discard them after. Some of them will also give you Drop Pod Data.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I need frost crystals so I can really get into making my base and came across a planet that says it has them but I can't find them anywhere. Did I just get unlucky or are they in specific places and I'm just not looking in the right area?

I think they grow on trees rather than as a farmable mineral. The ones I encountered did anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mandrel posted:

I think they grow on trees rather than as a farmable mineral. The ones I encountered did anyway

Literally just found them, and yeah, they do. I was looking for actual crystals on the ground. Thanks!