Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Djeser posted:

e: Speaking of, is there even any hint in game about powerstancing?

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

That’s why I’m putting off upgrading anything until I have more variety.
Upgrade what you like to +3, at least. The difference between +0 and +3 isn't substantial, and early on you can get access to vendors who sell unlimited shards or large shards. IIRC the first requires lighting a Primal Bonfire. Additionally, low-level upgrade materials are fairly plentiful even in the endgame.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

OutofSight posted:

Have you heard the good word of such a fabled like a "menu" and "control settings", brother? You can check the tab/screen/whatever there and the secrets of the universe and button mapping shall be open to YOU!
You seem to be under the misconception that this is a problem that, like, deeply affects me. I guess saying "I wish I could go back to my button testing reflexes as a kid" was a bit misleading. I initially piped up just to explain why I think that modern game design influences people to treat games and their control differently than what people are used to who have been playing games forever, and I'm not exempt from that development myself.

Also, there are games that treat control schemes like this:

And others that treat them like this:

And one of these might be simpler to understand, internalize and later reference, but I can't put my finger on it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Ds2 had a bug on release that allowed you to do some crazy things with backstepping. You could parry and backstep at the same time and if you were using the monastery scimitar for no penalty and be an unkillable monster.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Using Blue Flame for the first time, is one supposed to cast Crystal Magic Weapon directly on it by using it in left and catalyst in right, then using strong attack to cast from left?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Simply Simon posted:

You seem to be under the misconception that this is a problem that, like, deeply affects me. I guess saying "I wish I could go back to my button testing reflexes as a kid" was a bit misleading. I initially piped up just to explain why I think that modern game design influences people to treat games and their control differently than what people are used to who have been playing games forever, and I'm not exempt from that development myself.

Not really. This was more a ill-paced joke from me on you account for that little addendum you posted. Apologies.
If you really had a problem with that you wouldn't be a chill person posting here, but ranting somewhere how you hate all video games forever. Or whatever else crazy-obsessed persons do these days.

None the less, i would like to add something to your posted examples.
In some video games "mastery" of the given controls does not really matter or they have enough in-depth tutorials for the main gameplay.
I think i never checked controls for stuff like ES:Oblivion or Freelancer.
Some third person game with action combat and platforming? They really should have some good menu to check controls or else you will get frustrated at some point.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Pyrolocutus posted:

Using Blue Flame for the first time, is one supposed to cast Crystal Magic Weapon directly on it by using it in left and catalyst in right, then using strong attack to cast from left?

Flip that. The R2 will cast no matter which hand it's in, but iirc you can't buff a weapon in your left hand.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Paracelsus posted:

Flip that. The R2 will cast no matter which hand it's in, but iirc you can't buff a weapon in your left hand.

Incorrect! One of the fun things about powerstancing weapons like blue flame or the mace of the insolent is that you can buff both weapons. e: I vaguely remember using a regular catalyst as part of this with my powerstanced blue flame build, so you might need to look into that.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You can absolutely have 2 Blue Flames and infuse them both and then Powerstance them and it owns.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
How would I best go about a poison build? Can poison or some other status be inflicted on most bosses? I’m still thinking about builds I’ve never tried before.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

King of Solomon posted:

Incorrect! One of the fun things about powerstancing weapons like blue flame or the mace of the insolent is that you can buff both weapons. e: I vaguely remember using a regular catalyst as part of this with my powerstanced blue flame build, so you might need to look into that.

Looks like I had my games reversed; DS2 is the only one where you can buff left hand weapons.

Look Sir Droids posted:

How would I best go about a poison build? Can poison or some other status be inflicted on most bosses? I’m still thinking about builds I’ve never tried before.

Get a pyro hand, kill a bunch of rats down a well, take the soul to Straid, inflict !TOXIC! on everything. There are only a few weapons that inflict it, and they aren't available until later. Poison inflicting items are very limited in quantity until much later and are expensive to boot. Only 7 bosses are immune, and 4 of those are DLC bosses.

Boost Dex and Adp to increase Poison Atk Bonus, and wear the rat covenant ring and some certain DLC gauntlets as well.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I heard poison was better than toxic in DS2. True?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No, toxic is strictly better. It does the same amount of damage faster.

Arguably not worth it but there is a toxic cloud spell.
Poison in ds2 is way stronger than the other games in general, it does real damage and it does it fast.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I don't think you can even cause toxic other than the Toxic Mist pyromancy. Regular poison does about 1100 damage over 20 seconds, toxic 1500.

In the base game only a couple bosses + Vendrick are immune to poison but every major DLC boss is.either outright immune or nearly so.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 31, 2018

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

dis astranagant posted:

I don't think you can even cause toxic other than the Toxic Mist pyromancy.

Mytha's Baneful Blade. It sucks, but it does inflict toxic.

Toxic Mist is a really useful spell that requires no investment beyond a single attunement slot, so I'm a big fan of it.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
What is dark fog? Regular poison?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Just finishing the Eleum Loyce DLC (probably my favourite one overall gameplay wise) now and wow, the final boss is the laziest poo poo I've ever seen. It's basically Penetrator with way too much health and a ludicrously long reach and you have to spend 10 minutes fighting a million reskinned Black Knights first. This is taking "annoying run to the boss room" to a whole new level. The four Loyce knights don't even make good aggro sponges because they're so squishy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe so but the drop / entrance to the fight with the knights tagging along loving owns.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I kinda like the long rear end reach the king has. It’s a memorable element that sets him apart from the numerous other knight bosses in the game. He’s definitely no FK though, I’ve never really understood why people hold his fight up as one of the best in the game. If you don’t bother freeing the knights to seal the gateways it’s tedious fight. If you do free them and seal the gateways on the other hand, it’s too easy.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

skasion posted:

I kinda like the long rear end reach the king has. It’s a memorable element that sets him apart from the numerous other knight bosses in the game. He’s definitely no FK though, I’ve never really understood why people hold his fight up as one of the best in the game. If you don’t bother freeing the knights to seal the gateways it’s tedious fight. If you do free them and seal the gateways on the other hand, it’s too easy.

The answer is of course only freeing half of the knights.

I kind of like Ivory King as a coop fight (with only one Loyce knight to seal the gate). Things can get pretty intense, when the actual boss shows up and those charred knights just keep coming...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Any amount of adds makes the fight way longer and less fun. and it’s not like DS2 has any shortage of boss fights with adds either. Imo they should have chosen some other gimmick for the fight. FK’s healing statues are a better take on the same idea of “did you really, really explore the area all the way? No? Well go gently caress yourself then.”

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I like the drama of the first time you did it, and the reveal of the king coming out, but I'd just make it so that on attempts after the first it skips the waves of knights and goes straight to the king.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s true, he does get a really good entrance.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I also liked the framing around the fight, but "dude with sword" wore pretty darn thin for me, even with the DLCs. Had more fun fighting tigers and dragons.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Mechanically it's not the best boss fight, but it owns bones having all four Loyce Knights and three white phantoms. It's one of the only places in Dark Souls where you have a full-on brawl.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

How do you access hidden walls? Isn’t there one near the first Pharos lockstone door under the ballista room? I can’t get anything to open.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

How do you access hidden walls? Isn’t there one near the first Pharos lockstone door under the ballista room? I can’t get anything to open.
Tap the A button near them. Though that said there isn't such a wall in that room - check instead in the mini-gauntlet near Pate.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

There's a hidden door in that room but you can only open it if you actually stick your dick a lockstone in the hole. There's also a locked door in there but the way to open it is stupid as hell and happens no where else in the game and I'm still mad as hell about it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Somehow multiplayer still exists in this game, because it summoned me to a ratbro's home in the Doors of Pharros. When I was playing a NG+ character at 5M+ soul memory, which means that the host had to have at least 2.5M soul memory/level 170+. You would think they'd be better prepared by activating the traps or using a fast weapon? Or by not chucking fire in the knee-deep water against a phantom with Alonne armor which is great for fire defense? Or by switching to something that's not so telegraphed as Darkstorm?

As it was I just spammed Dark Orb to win, because of course I could on NG+. I'm not even good at PvP, having only equipped Ricard's Rapier at the last second, and yet I handily won here? :psyduck: How clueless did this person have to be?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Arrhythmia posted:

There's a hidden door in that room but you can only open it if you actually stick your dick a lockstone in the hole. There's also a locked door in there but the way to open it is stupid as hell and happens no where else in the game and I'm still mad as hell about it.

FoFG and Aldia's Keep come across as testing areas/showcases for systems they were trying out which despite never being fully implemented weren't removed either.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I saw a dragon bro sign twice in FoFG and summoned him. I figured I’d let him murder me because I assume he’s farming scales like in DS1? He gave me an effigy each time which is super useful now that I’m whittled down to half health and was getting worried about wasting the two I had.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Don't worry too much about effigies -- you'll be tripping over them from start to finish, and if somehow they're not jumping out at you every time you lose that 5% of health, vendors stock a ton of 'em once you get through the game a bit.

Also, use the small soapstone and help a boy if you want a free refill of... everything. Health, max health, spells, weapon durability, estus, w/e. Completing a small soapstone summon is like a bonfire visit + effigy without backtracking and reviving the enemies in the area. If you haven't found it yet, just keep exploring the forest.

you're not expected to go through DS2 with fuckall health all of the time like you sometimes have to in Demon's Souls. Pop effigies willy-nilly, there's gonna be like ten more in every map you go to.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Are people summoning enough that you can get a lot of use out of the small white soap stone? That single feature is one of the reasons ds2 is my favorite.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Started NG+ last night, which is something I've never done in DS2 before—the game is so long that generally I'm burned out by the time the ending rolls around. I never realized just how different it is second time around. Didn't expect to have to actually fight stuff in Things Betwixt :v:

I managed to do the Burnt Ivory King finally, by summoning both NPC phantoms and running around drawing everyone's aggro so that everyone lasted until the boss fight. Once that started it was pretty much just chipping away at the boss's considerably inflated HP bar while everyone else absorbed the hits. The whole DLC had an air of Demon's Souls about it (hell, when I first entered Eleum Loyce, I swore I was looking at Boletarian Palace) including the way the map gradually became interconnected via shortcuts. Even though half the shortcuts are useless because of warping, I still appreciated that the map was designed around them. Still thought the boss battle should have been separated into two individually completable parts but in retrospect, at least it's not Bed of Chaos.

That marks the first time I've ever exhausted all the content of Dark Souls 2 (minus the coop areas in the DLCs) and honestly, I think it might be my favourite Souls game, with emphasis on game: Dark Souls 1 has better atmosphere and map design in the first half, Bloodborne has better combat and production values, but Dark Souls 2 has the best overall game elements. I love how easy it is to upgrade weapons (I have two +10 Maces, a +10 Lightning Mace, a +10 Fire Mace, a +10 Large Club, +10 Bastard Sword, +10 Composite Bow, and a few other things at +7/+8, and I still have 7 slabs left) and the fact that Lifegems exist for between-encounter heals. I also really like the linear leveling curve, so that even at level 160 or whatever I'm still getting a level just from running through an area. My only real complaint is that the early game is a complete slog and is probably responsible for my previously negative opinion of the game. I'm looking forward to charging through NG+ though.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Appoda posted:

Don't worry too much about effigies -- you'll be tripping over them from start to finish, and if somehow they're not jumping out at you every time you lose that 5% of health, vendors stock a ton of 'em once you get through the game a bit.

Also, use the small soapstone and help a boy if you want a free refill of... everything. Health, max health, spells, weapon durability, estus, w/e. Completing a small soapstone summon is like a bonfire visit + effigy without backtracking and reviving the enemies in the area. If you haven't found it yet, just keep exploring the forest.

you're not expected to go through DS2 with fuckall health all of the time like you sometimes have to in Demon's Souls. Pop effigies willy-nilly, there's gonna be like ten more in every map you go to.

I haven’t found it yet. What does it do?

E: just looked it up. I should have it because I busted that door down. I just don’t recall picking it up or seeing it in my inventory.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 1, 2018

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

Somehow multiplayer still exists in this game, because it summoned me to a ratbro's home in the Doors of Pharros. When I was playing a NG+ character at 5M+ soul memory, which means that the host had to have at least 2.5M soul memory/level 170+. You would think they'd be better prepared by activating the traps or using a fast weapon? Or by not chucking fire in the knee-deep water against a phantom with Alonne armor which is great for fire defense? Or by switching to something that's not so telegraphed as Darkstorm?

As it was I just spammed Dark Orb to win, because of course I could on NG+. I'm not even good at PvP, having only equipped Ricard's Rapier at the last second, and yet I handily won here? :psyduck: How clueless did this person have to be?

Just cause you play a game a lot doesn't mean you're any good. Also, maybe he was really stoned and you caught him off guard.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

NGDBSS posted:

Pfff. This is how you ratbro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEywfWmMSmg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMXdTR0s9eU

(the failure video is actually the better one, but a bit anticlimatic. Still beating myself up over never having got a video of the best one I ever did... ended with a plunging attack as he was chugging. :( )

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Man, now that I'm getting to the DLC content, a sorcerer is feeling pretty rough - or at least rougher than I remember my last caster playthrough (Miracles in vanilla DS2). I think I might roll up a melee character. Quality build still good or should I just go big boi str?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah, pure magic kinda sucks in the DLC areas. I understand that they wanted to make them harder, but forcing out playstyles that are totally fine for the main game is a weakness.

As long as you have a weapon or two that you like and they're upgraded, you should be good to go either way. As others have said, most non-joke weapons are totally viable, and there are a ton of strong choices for every physical playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
It really feels like the DLC areas (especially Eleum Loyce) were balanced around spellcasters having unlimited amber herbs to fire off their biggest spells. Except SotFS removes the only source of unlimited herbs. Oops.

Fake Edit: I looked it up, and according to this, enemies in the DLC have a minimum of 56.7% magic damage reduction, with most being around 66% reduction. Sucks for spellcasters.