Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's kind of funny just how many pubbie Orochis appear to fall within exactly the same rhythm. Seemingly 90% of Orochis go for top light attack -> top heavy attack -> guardbreak. Maybe a sideways dodge attack now and again if they're feeling fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

Most of the bad orochis I face just make me play light attack DDR.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Has any information come out about that rumored PvE oriented game mode I heard awhile back, or was that just hearsay?

coming out with Season 8 apparently

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Matazat posted:

Most of the bad orochis I face just make me play light attack DDR.

Doing this as Raider is always hilarious and really brings out the weeb salt.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rainuwastaken posted:

Worth mentioning that you can dodge the kick, and if you see the grab coming afterwards you can unlock and convert your dodge into a roll to get out of it. Highlander absolutely devastated me with that mixup until I got the muscle memory to roll away ingrained, but now most of them are no problem. There are a shocking number of people who don't know how to do anything with the character beyond "kickgrab mixup" and "that one top attack that feints into the side dodge attack".

I hadn't figured out the roll thing; my solution to the kickgrab mixup was to just ignore the kick and then roll away from the grab when he cancelled into it. Your way is probably better because you can dodge both of them.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The other thing I hear about a lot is that, if you see the kick coming in, you can do a backstep light (no dodge involved, just move backwards and light) to completely stuff the whole thing. Apparently the backwards motion moves you out of kick range, and the attack interrupts the grab. I haven't had the guts to try it yet though, and it's still a load of guff if you run out of stamina. When that happens, the Highlander just ends you.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I just get close and smack them with lights when they try to stance switch. If they do the overhead into side light to try and enter the stance, just parry it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rainuwastaken posted:

The other thing I hear about a lot is that, if you see the kick coming in, you can do a backstep light (no dodge involved, just move backwards and light) to completely stuff the whole thing. Apparently the backwards motion moves you out of kick range, and the attack interrupts the grab. I haven't had the guts to try it yet though, and it's still a load of guff if you run out of stamina. When that happens, the Highlander just ends you.

Yeah, it's a near-guaranteed OOS punish. The only way to avoid it when OOS is to predict they're going to use the grab and save your dodge for it instead of dodging the kick.

The number of characters that have unparryable unblockables now is annoying. Especially since I play Berserker who doesn't get any of that poo poo.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The whole highlander grab/kick combo gets rendered almost completely useless against anyone with a dodge attack.

Except Valkyrie :lol:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Iron Rose posted:

The whole highlander grab/kick combo gets rendered almost completely useless against anyone with a dodge attack.

Except Valkyrie :lol:

It's not a good opener against assassins, no, but if they're out of stamina they can't use their dodge attack.

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

Not every character can do that, but yes it does work for those who can.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

just played my first duel after not playing since like 2 months after release, and got stomped the first round, but was able to eke out the next 3 fights for a win and the dude rage quit at the end. :allears:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Roobanguy posted:

just played my first duel after not playing since like 2 months after release, and got stomped the first round, but was able to eke out the next 3 fights for a win and the dude rage quit at the end. :allears:

Yeah my first duel in a while was against a Highlander, who said "Good fight" when he stomped me the first 2 rounds, and then he mysteriously grew quiet when I brought it back for the reverse sweep.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah, it's a near-guaranteed OOS punish. The only way to avoid it when OOS is to predict they're going to use the grab and save your dodge for it instead of dodging the kick.

The number of characters that have unparryable unblockables now is annoying. Especially since I play Berserker who doesn't get any of that poo poo.

I wish they would make that top hyperarmor leap for Zerkers unblockable so they would have a way of reliably getting in on heavies. I don't think that's even particularly out of line with what other classes get.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
But that’s one of my favorite moves to crushing counter!

I’m actually continually surprised how often people will try to use these massively slow top attacks against me as a Warden. Some times they’ll even do it multiple times in the same round.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Okay, what the absolute gently caress is with some moves where I get hit by a normal attack and my character stumbles like they just took a glass bottle to the face, and I get stunlocked into the next attack in their chain? It happens really rarely, but when it does, it's super frustrating because it comes out of nowhere and usually gets me killed.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 1, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Sounds like the centurion which I was just coming to ask about. I can't find the timing to dodge out of the kick/stab/uppercut cycle that kills me in a few cycles

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
You have to dodge late, all his stuff can be delayed and has crazy tracking. If you dodge on reaction you will eat the combo 100% of the time

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The trick to beating Centurion is:
- Block normal attacks
- Parry unblockables
- Dodge the grabs

Then exploit the fact that he can't do anything else and his defense sucks. That's it. Just don't gently caress up or you're toast. You have to be pretty defensive and wait for him to do something predictable that you can counter.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 1, 2018

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I wish they would make that top hyperarmor leap for Zerkers unblockable so they would have a way of reliably getting in on heavies. I don't think that's even particularly out of line with what other classes get.
Berserkers don't need to be even stronger than they already are, tyvm

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Okay, what the absolute gently caress is with some moves where I get hit by a normal attack and my character stumbles like they just took a glass bottle to the face, and I get stunlocked into the next attack in their chain? It happens really rarely, but when it does, it's super frustrating because it comes out of nowhere and usually gets me killed.
Did you (accidentally) unlock from your opponent? For some reason if you're hit while not being locked on to a target you get staggered, which often guarantees an extra hit.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Exodee posted:

Did you (accidentally) unlock from your opponent? For some reason if you're hit while not being locked on to a target you get staggered, which often guarantees an extra hit.

I got unlocked CONSTANTLY while using my old xbox360 controller (I think it was due to L3 being too sensitive?) And it made it impossible to play with it, making me switch to M&KB because it won't accept my Nintendo pro controller ):

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Exodee posted:

Nope!

Exodee posted:

Berserker's a good character but they don't get anything particularly tricky or gimmicky. They're extremely fair. I don't think they really need a buff, the other heroes just need to be designed more in line with them.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I got unlocked CONSTANTLY while using my old xbox360 controller (I think it was due to L3 being too sensitive?) And it made it impossible to play with it, making me switch to M&KB because it won't accept my Nintendo pro controller ):

For Honor will accept Nintendo Pro controllers if you launch it thru steam.
Seriously. Add ForHonor.exe as a shortcut in your steam games list (Games -> Add non-steam game to my library) and Steam will make sure that it works.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Yeah I had to do the same, I tried using my old 360 controller for this but it was seriously showing its age with this game. Not to mention that zone attacks are rather finnicky to pull off with it.

Gimbal lock posted:

For Honor will accept Nintendo Pro controllers if you launch it thru steam.
Seriously. Add ForHonor.exe as a shortcut in your steam games list (Games -> Add non-steam game to my library) and Steam will make sure that it works.
To add to this, steam allows you to completely customize your controller inputs if you go to Settings -> Controller -> General Controller Settings to enable it. Right click on a game afterwards and the option should show up. And yes, it even works on non-steam games.

(Although steam loves to enable it for everything, including your desktop, so you have to fiddle around with it unfortunately)

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Berserker's a good character but they don't get anything particularly tricky or gimmicky.
Having hyperarmor on nearly every single attack is both gimmicky and tricky tbqh

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
What have they done to my poor Valk :(

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm really liking the warden changes.

The unblockable top heavy is huge and it's very easy to flow into it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Loving the new separate ranked 1v1 duels. Last season I was Silver 5 and Was expecting low golds but somehow placed at Plat 1 :ohdear:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

What have they done to my poor Valk :(

What happened :ohdear:

Edit:

Wow dominion renown got dropped hard. 12 kills, 4 caps, 390? Used to be double that.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 2, 2018

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Capn Beeb posted:

What happened :ohdear:

Edit:

Wow dominion renown got dropped hard. 12 kills, 4 caps, 390? Used to be double that.

Took away a lot of her mixups, no shield crush off a heavy, no sweep off a shield crush hit. Shield tackle doesn't knockdown anymore. The sweep punish is quite nice though, as is the improved shoulder pin.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Took away a lot of her mixups, no shield crush off a heavy, no sweep off a shield crush hit. Shield tackle doesn't knockdown anymore. The sweep punish is quite nice though, as is the improved shoulder pin.

That sounds pretty bad. Maybe they improved her in other areas! I wanna believe :negative:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

That sounds pretty bad. Maybe they improved her in other areas! I wanna believe :negative:

I saw someone post a webm of nuValk having some kind of shield punch that drained 75% of a bot's stamina, but I'm still at work so I have no idea how you combo into it or if it's viable at all.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

Don't worry, she has a ton of new mixups that are also way more reliable than her old ones. In addition many of her attacks in a chain are faster and she also does way more damage in general.

Rainuwastaken posted:

I saw someone post a webm of nuValk having some kind of shield punch that drained 75% of a bot's stamina, but I'm still at work so I have no idea how you combo into it or if it's viable at all.
That sounds like one of her side light combo finishers, which do indeed drain a ton of stamina when it connects. Her top lights in a chain or as finisher don't have the stamina drain but are 400 ms, as opposed to the usual 500.
On top of that, you can do a heavy soft-feint into shield-crush -> confirmed light and it still counts as two hits, making it real easy to get to the finishers. And if they dodge the shield-crush? You can cancel its recovery time with a light attack should they try to guardbreak you.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 2, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Even the sweep punish and shoulder pin aren't all that great. The sweep punish now completely stops a combo so you can't keep them in the mixup while they get up. You could already do as much damage as the new shoulder pin with a confirmed dodge light after the pin.

Also changing the input for sweep from back heavy to gb means you can't throw a GB out instead of a finisher to catch dodges.

I mean maybe it will shake out ok, but it feels like too different a character than what she was before.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 2, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah I don't get why the hell they'd change the hotkey to the GB button. Why the gently caress would you take away a key part of her 50/50?

There's some confusion online about whether or not the sweep is actually faster like it said in the patch notes or if it's still 600ms. Also her stamina costs are way out of line for the damage she does and the fact that she's supposed to be a mixup character (I guess?)

She has more options from neutral thanks to having way more combos, and it's hard to argue that she's worse than she was before, but it seems like they were so scared of over buffing her they aimed pretty low.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 2, 2018

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Dreylad posted:

There's some confusion online about whether or not the sweep is actually faster like it said in the patch notes or if it's still 600ms.
Apparently that part didn't make the cut, but that's probably an oversight by the devs. Warden was supposed to get 500 ms side lights as well, but they're still 600 as of this moment.

Dreylad posted:

She has more options from neutral thanks to having way more combos, and it's hard to argue that she's worse than she was before, but it seems like they were so scared of over buffing her they aimed pretty low.
Yeah, honestly if they gave back all her old options in addition to the new stuff she'd probably be around assassin-tier, so I can understand being disappointed right now.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

"Well I never tried ranked before, but since they made a big deal of this 1v1 thing, I'll give it a shot!"

First placement match is against someone with Nobushi at literally three times my total rep score.

Thanks, Ubisoft.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Exodee posted:

Yeah, honestly if they gave back all her old options in addition to the new stuff she'd probably be around assassin-tier, so I can understand being disappointed right now.

I'm kind of flabbergasted the more I play. Shield Tackle is really poo poo now, you can't dodge cancel out of it at all. You can't sweep off tackle or shield crush anymore. Ram's Headbutt, don't care about the charging part of it, but it doesn't do the same kind of stamina drain it did before, and I wonder if she lost the ability to knock low stamina people down for the OOS punish. And all the stamina costs for her abilities are still way, way out of line.

It really feels like they just want more light spam. I feel bad for console players.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 2, 2018

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Dreylad posted:

It really feels like they just want more light spam. I feel bad for console players.
Yeah, this is basically what I've been doing with her in duels and it seems fairly effective so far. Whiffs into top lights with the occasional shieldbash -> light -> sweep gets a lot of people off guard, but she definitely doesn't play much like her old version anymore.

Rainuwastaken posted:

"Well I never tried ranked before, but since they made a big deal of this 1v1 thing, I'll give it a shot!"

First placement match is against someone with Nobushi at literally three times my total rep score.

Thanks, Ubisoft.
Apparently ranked mode is rather unbalanced at the moment. Not enough players queuing up for it, I'd reckon.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I reckon it has a hell of a lot more players than the old tournaments did. I'm looking forward to playing them now for the ornaments. Except the part where I thought i placed Platinum but it was actually Diamond. I didn't even consider myself that good at the game :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Rainuwastaken posted:

Exodee posted:

Don't worry, she has a ton of new mixups that are also way more reliable than her old ones. In addition many of her attacks in a chain are faster and she also does way more damage in general.

That sounds like one of her side light combo finishers, which do indeed drain a ton of stamina when it connects. Her top lights in a chain or as finisher don't have the stamina drain but are 400 ms, as opposed to the usual 500.
On top of that, you can do a heavy soft-feint into shield-crush -> confirmed light and it still counts as two hits, making it real easy to get to the finishers. And if they dodge the shield-crush? You can cancel its recovery time with a light attack should they try to guardbreak you.

Yep that sounds like the side light finishers, big ol shield punch across the jaw. I put in some time with her just now and she feels kinda better? I miss my big headbutts and poo poo but being able to tag lights in more reliably is nice considering how slow her heavies are. Also I managed to land some of those new intercepted unblockable lights on accident and shucks howdy that's new and exciting :stare: