Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Patware posted:

Incorrect. If you don't lose clean, you're not jobbing.

Jobbing is something much more specific than 'losing a fight,' jobbing means putting someone over, doing it clean, and not seeming like you were ever a viable threat once all is said and done. Jobbing is all about sacrificing one person's sell for the explicit benefit of increasing someone else's.

The pro hero squad jobs hard for All For One. He casually wrecks all of them to build his own narrative strength at their expense. It firmly establishes that AfO is on an entirely different level on the fight card from anyone but All Might, the other headliner and, now, the only credible threat to him.

Likewise, the League of Villains jobs to the other pro hero squad - they're locked down in moments and displayed to, at that time in the narrative, be no threat to a focused hero action.

However, AfO does not job to All Might. They both come out of that fight looking strong, slapping each other around an increasing circle of ruined city, with All Might only even managing to win by retiring himself.

this is actually a really good explanation. Good job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Mirio is my favorite character. I love him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The last page's explanation, also quoted two posts up, is really good, but if you want a different nerdy thing to compare jobbing to, think Worf and how despite being a badass his main job was to lose to the various new threats to make them seem threatening. Worf is pretty much the example of a jobber; Vegeta would probably one of the most well-known examples of it if you look at anime and manga in particular meanwhile. Though Piccolo, Krillin, and really pretty much the entirety of the non-Saiyan cast also get relegated to that role eventually.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 31, 2018

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Jobbing is hard, honest work, and being a jobber is a compliment.

Imagine an excited thirteen year old child talking about the villain you're trying to hype up. You can clearly picture him saying, "Whoah! This Brolly guy beat Vegeta, and it wasn't even close! He's so strong." But no one is ever going to say, "Whoah! This Brolly guy beat Yamcha, and it wasn't even close! He's so strong!" That's because Vegeta is a jobber, and Yamcha is a loser.

(Worf isn't much of a jobber, because he isn't there to make the other members of the crew look strong. He's there to show that violence isn't as good a solution to the Enterprise's problems as thoughtful, informed decisions made by a captain supported by a crew of diverse view points.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly I have heard the term Worfing more then Jobbing. Cause Worfing is having the tough guy lose to the threat to make it seem tougher. Though they are similar things.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yamcha is actually the designated jobber in og dragon ball. his roll in all three tournaments is to lose in the quarterfinals to show how strong someone is

either way I don't think mirio did anything like that since overhaul literally admitted mirio was stronger than him. the only reason he won is because mirio's a hero and saving eri came before beating someone up

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Mirio's speech about the reason heroes wear capes is one of the best moments in the series thus far. The whole jobbing/not jobbing meta-analysis is a bit secondary to that in my mind.

Literally no one came out of that arc seeming stronger for what happened because Deku had to burn a one-time-use super power-up to win the escalation war in the end, and the VA took advantage of the situation like good villians rather than trying to brute force things like they had before.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 31, 2018

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Viridiant posted:

Mirio is my favorite character. I love him.

He is real, and strong, and he's my friend.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shere posted:

Mirio's speech about the reason heroes wear capes is one of the best moments in the series thus far. The whole jobbing/not jobbing meta-analysis is a bit secondary to that in my mind.

Literally no one came out of that arc seeming stronger for what happened because Deku had to burn a one-time-use super power-up to win the escalation war in the end, and the VA took advantage of the situation like good villians rather than trying to brute force things like they had before.

Yeah, a lot of characters, including Deku, underperformed in that arc. Suneater, Kirishima, and Mina came out of it looking cool, though.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Thought experiment: How long would it take a person to grow enough hair to weave a full-body costume, plus cape, out of it?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, a lot of characters, including Deku, underperformed in that arc. Suneater, Kirishima, and Mina came out of it looking cool, though.

Suneater definitely needs more time in the spotlight. His Quirk has so much room for experimentation and creativity, and could very easily be overpowered if he just eats the right combinations of food.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mirage posted:

Thought experiment: How long would it take a person to grow enough hair to weave a full-body costume, plus cape, out of it?

Was it 100% his hair or just had his hair interwoven with other fabrics?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mirage posted:

Depends on how long it takes to find someone with a quirk that accelerates hair growth!

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's made of "a special fiber derived from his hair" which implies it's 100% his hair, but it's never clarified.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the real reason mirio lost his quirk is so horikoshi didn't have to explain how he replaced his costume

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Imagine having to make your entire costume out of your own hair and still being devoted to the idea of a body length cape.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

JahRoo posted:

Imagine having to make your entire costume out of your own hair and still being devoted to the idea of a body length cape.

Honestly, that sounds like Mirio.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Remember when Mirio poked his face out of a bush because he didn't have his quirk anymore but still wanted to be funny.

Remember all those times that Mirio was the loving coolest, such as every panel he was in.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Whenever Horikoshi has characters like Mirio doing cool poo poo like that it makes me want him to do this with people who don't get as much of the spotlight. Like Nejire or Jiro.

And especially Mei.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Mirio vs overhaul is one of the coolest bits of the arc (and honestly the manga as a while) and I’m absolutely stoked to see it animated.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't believe it's 1999

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

My personal guess for Spinner's power is that he actually *can* learn skills from video games. So his prep for snagging Overhaul was straight-up jamming a bunch of GTA, which he unfortunately kind of sucks at. It's also why he used a ridiculous megasword, and was surprisingly really good at throwing a knife.

He's a great background character, you can really tell exactly what kind of loser he is.

So Spinner's a good kid turned evil by those satanic video games?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Whenever Horikoshi has characters like Mirio doing cool poo poo like that it makes me want him to do this with people who don't get as much of the spotlight. Like Nejire or Jiro.

And especially Mei.

jirou had a whole mini arc during the school festival and it was cute

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Time number two that Dabi has called out a Todoroki by first and last name while making a getaway. I dunno, I guess I lean more toward illegitimate kid than the final kid (somehow introducing an affair feels less narratively weird to me than just saying something like "yeah we stopped talking about him after he went missing"), but having a relation to Endeavor that's more than just "similar power" doesn't seem as unlikely to me anymore.

Personally, given Dabi's ideology, I'm seeing it as: "gently caress this family of fire quirk having assholes who DON'T immolate themselves with their own powers and are using them to be lovely self-aggrandizing heroes."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

And especially Mei.

Horikoshi has said multiple times that he wants to do more with a lot of the cast. It's just there's only so much time to do it in.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the best part of the Overhaul arc was getting a glimpse of what 100% Deku would look like. I wonder if being in contact with Eri also reversed his previous injuries or just the ones he sustained against Overhaul

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Arist posted:

That doesn't mean Mirio didn't job. If the ref gets knocked out and the wrestler you're up against brings in outside help to beat you and you lose, you still jobbed.

At the end of that conflict the only thing I could think was "Yeah, Mirio with One For All would pretty much unquestionably have been the better choice". I didn't give a poo poo about the villain, and I didn't think he looked stronger by ganging up on one dude, stealing his power, and still being unable to end that fight quick.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

the best part of the Overhaul arc was getting a glimpse of what 100% Deku would look like. I wonder if being in contact with Eri also reversed his previous injuries or just the ones he sustained against Overhaul

Probably just the Overhaul fight damage. He still has his arm scars.

The drawback to being rewound to before his arm injuries is that he'd lose all the work he put into training his body to handle 8% Full Cowl and his 20% airbursts.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

He's a dude whose life dead-ended early. Being charitable and saying he wasn't still living with his parents, because he doesn't seem like a full-on NEET, he probably had a crappy job with no future (like, gas station attendant), no real friendships to speak of, and he's never been on a date in his life. His routine consisted of work, going home, playing video games, and spending way too much time on the internet.

Then Stain comes along, and besides being visually right in line with what Spinner thinks is badass, he espouses an ideology that holds that society is corrupt and needs to be purged. And Stain gets *respect*. So Spinner is pretty well primed to buy into it for that respect--and because it's something he bought into, not his own natural convictions, it's easy for him to get hoodwinked by the League into thinking they're following Stain's will.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Lord of Hats posted:

He's a dude whose life dead-ended early. Being charitable and saying he wasn't still living with his parents, because he doesn't seem like a full-on NEET, he probably had a crappy job with no future (like, gas station attendant), no real friendships to speak of, and he's never been on a date in his life. His routine consisted of work, going home, playing video games, and spending way too much time on the internet.

Then Stain comes along, and besides being visually right in line with what Spinner thinks is badass, he espouses an ideology that holds that society is corrupt and needs to be purged. And Stain gets *respect*. So Spinner is pretty well primed to buy into it for that respect--and because it's something he bought into, not his own natural convictions, it's easy for him to get hoodwinked by the League into thinking they're following Stain's will.

Correction, Stain believed that hero society was corrupt and in need of purging, very notably he did NOT have an issue with regular bog-standard human society.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Lord of Hats posted:

Please don't doxx me.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RareAcumen posted:

And especially Mei.

Can't believe 1-A is getting an entire filler episode to flesh out their fights but Mei hasn't gotten a filler ep yet???

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mei deserves an entire actual manga volume tbh

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Can't believe 1-A is getting an entire filler episode to flesh out their fights but Mei hasn't gotten a filler ep yet???

She has had decent chunks of a couple episodes devoted to her abusing the rest of the cast with her various inventions.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mulva posted:

At the end of that conflict the only thing I could think was "Yeah, Mirio with One For All would pretty much unquestionably have been the better choice". I didn't give a poo poo about the villain, and I didn't think he looked stronger by ganging up on one dude, stealing his power, and still being unable to end that fight quick.
So would Todoroki or Inasa or Bakugou in terms of raw power. The point is that Midoriya is more of a hero than any of them. Midoriya proved he was better than Mirio in that alley even if Mirio regretted his choice later and decided to change.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

Correction, Stain believed that hero society was corrupt and in need of purging, very notably he did NOT have an issue with regular bog-standard human society.

I mean at this point those two things are so closely connected they might as well be the same.

Fabricated posted:

So would Todoroki or Inasa or Bakugou in terms of raw power. The point is that Midoriya is more of a hero than any of them. Midoriya proved he was better than Mirio in that alley even if Mirio regretted his choice later and decided to change.

I don’t think the manga really portrays it like that honestly. Even though both Deku and Mirio feel bad about not having acted when they first met Eri, the comic never really portrays Deku as having been in the right or that he’s a more heroic person than Mirio. At least from what I recall. The story brings up the idea of ‘maybe Mirio would’ve been better suited for OFA’ but it doesn’t really explore it at all, or have Deku prove Nighteye wrong or change his mind.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

SKULL.GIF posted:

100%, because he would've slipped through anything else, and the way his quirk works, even if he was only, say, 1% slipped through an interwoven blend, he'd "glitch" violently away from it when he re-solidified, which would produce some, uh, well, it'd produce something, which I'd imagine having a costume that doesn't respond to his quirk was the whole point of avoiding.

Maybe there's someone with a quirk that speeds up other people's hair/fingernail growth? On top of being an incredibly in-demand stylist, they could really help the hero community that have 'only my body is immune to my quirk' needs like Mirio.

edit:

DizzyBum posted:

Depends on how long it takes to find someone with a quirk that accelerates hair growth!

It's made of "a special fiber derived from his hair" which implies it's 100% his hair, but it's never clarified.

lol literally the next post, my bad

Aoi fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 1, 2018

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

And being too dumb to critically examine the ideology of his idol.

Yes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don’t think the manga really portrays it like that honestly. Even though both Deku and Mirio feel bad about not having acted when they first met Eri, the comic never really portrays Deku as having been in the right or that he’s a more heroic person than Mirio. At least from what I recall. The story brings up the idea of ‘maybe Mirio would’ve been better suited for OFA’ but it doesn’t really explore it at all, or have Deku prove Nighteye wrong or change his mind.

Deku's response to the situation was getting Eri away and being ready to throw down.

Mirio's response was more "Hey, sorry about that, my friend misunderstood things, you know how it is, seriously Deku, we need to bail now.", which Deku does with some reluctance. Mirio explains that, much as it sucks, this is a greater good thing.

Then at the hideout meeting, they find out that Deku's instincts were right, and things would have worked out better if they'd just gone with Deku's "gently caress long term thinking, there is an abused little girl in front of us, she's terrified, no way in hell I'm letting this guy take her back." plan.

It's pretty clear that, as heroic as Mirio is, and despite Deku being the smarter of the two, Deku's the one whose snap judgement calls are pure hero.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Deku and Mirio were seconds from being murdered, and were only saved by Eri. Deku's instincts were both right and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LostRook posted:

Deku and Mirio were seconds from being murdered, and were only saved by Eri. Deku's instincts were both right and wrong.

They were seconds from being attacked.

Both of them went one on one with Overhaul not much later, and I don't remember it exactly being a slaughter.