Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Which Snake are we talking about there, or are we saying all protagonist Snakes don't have game? Surely they all have some degree of game, surely. Any lack of success there is out of a sense of selflessness and duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bis Boss Snake acts weird around girls. Solid Snake hit on everything around him until he got old early.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kibayasu posted:

Bis Boss Snake acts weird around girls. Solid Snake hit on everything around him until he got old early.

Big Boss still got more action than poor loner Solid.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Let's be real here, though: it's outright canon that post-MGS4 Otacon is an unstoppable ladies' man.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Coughing Hobo posted:

Let's be real here, though: it's outright canon that [...] Otacon is an unstoppable lady killer.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

We need Rising 2 just so it could reveal that Otacon’s numerous new girlfriends still keep dying.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

Solid was real bad at hitting on people, though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This is some blasphemy I'm reading here, Solid Snake is a legend!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Which MGS character has big dick energy? I'm going with Venom and post MGS1 Otacon. Was going to say Ocelot but he's too needy

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Volgin

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
It's obviously Johnny.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

This is some blasphemy I'm reading here, Solid Snake is a legend!
Yeah. Legendarily bad at flirting.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Which MGS character has big dick energy? I'm going with Venom and post MGS1 Otacon. Was going to say Ocelot but he's too needy

Meryl

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I feel like y'all have a real bad understanding of what is entailed by Big Dick Energy. Most Metal Gear characters are too extra to qualify, but if you had to nominate someone from the franchise, it'd be limited to Iroquois Pliskin and Nastasha Romanenko, and those are the only two.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 30, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Definitely Vamp.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Rose

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I get the urge to play MGS5 again now that I have a 144hz monitor but my goodness the story is sort of insufferable. Its so overly cinematic that it doesn't feel like the weird goofiness i've come to expect in a MGS game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The goofiness is still there but it’s more in the cassette tapes this time.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
MGS5 is somehow the most and least replayable Metal Gear game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Vulcan Raven. He's a real threat in the muktuk eating contest, but he also excels in another event.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Look Sir Droids posted:

MGS5 is somehow the most and least replayable Metal Gear game.
Yeah mechanic wise there's a ton of goofy stuff, there's a dog with a stun batton, a horse that shits on command, and a cyborg arm that does the 6 million dollar man sound effect when you run up and punch someone with it in your tool kit.
The lack of bosses with distinct personalities you wind up interacting with, and the codex becoming a single 'intel radio' button probably hurt that sort of niche charm.

The whole "extra objectives that change the mission and what you learn about it/but that only get revealed after you complete the mission or the objectives" is also really neat. it's just too bad only like a quarter of the missions have a real list of those. A bunch of others just have filler "Oh also tranq an animal you might not have seen."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zereth posted:

Yeah. Legendarily bad at flirting.

Solid Snake is so good at flirting he managed to seduce a woman that had been psychologically conditioned to be unattracted to men.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

SeANMcBAY posted:

The goofiness is still there but it’s more in the cassette tapes this time.

There is only one goofy set of tapes and that's the burger tapes. Everything else takes itself ultra seriously (although there are still unintentional moments of comedy like how Zero seemingly trips over every piece of furniture in the world once he gets poisoned).

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 30, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Codetalker tugging himself off about copulation may be intended as serious, but is actually the weirdest moment in Metal Gear and also very gross.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

In It For The Tank posted:

There is only one goofy set of tapes and that's the burger tapes. Everything else takes itself ultra seriously (although there are still unintentional moments of comedy like how Zero seemingly trips over every piece of furniture in the world once he gets poisoned).

Yeah, you’re right. I was confused with Peace Walker for some of the goofy things I was thinking about.

At least you can do silly stuff in game like spin out cars with horse poo poo and all the box antics.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
w o l b a c h i a

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

In It For The Tank posted:

I always got the vibe that that most of the main plots of all of the MGS games were played straight, but I also never played the portable games. Like most of the deliberate silliness was in easter eggs or stuff you had to prod for or set up.
And there's some of that in 5, just not as much. But that's kinda a running theme of the game, isn't it?

Bob Moog sex tape
Aug 26, 2004

Gay Horney posted:

I've never finished mgs5 cause I can't do that loving mission where you have to beat the teleporting guys who throw rocks at you. people who spend hours getting good at a game then complain its too easy universally have autism. I'm a medical doctor

I’m hoping you mean the airport fight because that’s actually the easiest mission in the game. Literally the only thing you need to beat it are a bunch of decoys, maybe as many as you can carry.

You spawn at a hanger, and there are some terminal buildings right next to those hangers. There SHOULD be some mounted AA guns in front of those terminals.

When you spawn, just constantly deploy decoys and run in a zig zag towards the AA guns. Then climb onto the gun and shoot everything in the face. Easy S rank.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

It’s not the easiest mission in the game. Not even close. C2W you don’t even have to leave the helicopter to S rank.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The funniest way to beat almost any mission is to do a forced landing on the enemy base with miniguns blazing. The time bonuses you get are pretty ridiculous.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

But for real, this final (I assume) Quiet mission with all the APCs is driving me nuts. I keep dying out of nowhere to one shots.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Airdrop in your own tank :getin:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Mantis42 posted:

But for real, this final (I assume) Quiet mission with all the APCs is driving me nuts. I keep dying out of nowhere to one shots.

You can still call in Pequod as gunship support, if you need the heat taken off for a bit. I'd guess it the tanks sniping you at max range that are getting you killed

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Do you have the parasite suit (and enough parasites) and the armor version researched? I think I may have eventually used that but I may be confusing that with when I S ranked it. Either way I remember having a similar aggravating experience, even with the Battle Dress on.

If I am confusing it with the S rank and you’re just trying to beat it, use everything you got. Helicopter support, bombardment, smoke cover, and never stick your head out unless you’re at full health (or if Quiet just really needs the help).

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I try to avoid that stuff and go for a pure high rank, but I've died more times on this one mission than the rest of the game combined, so I guess I'll cheese it. The problem is, each time I do really good for a while, then BAM, one shot out of nowhere. Its annoying.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

If you want to do that mission without any cheese (and nonlethally) you basically need to die a lot to learn where all the enemies arrive and do a lot of mine prep and gas grenades and stuff, and even them it’s really hard

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

I try to avoid that stuff and go for a pure high rank, but I've died more times on this one mission than the rest of the game combined, so I guess I'll cheese it. The problem is, each time I do really good for a while, then BAM, one shot out of nowhere. Its annoying.

Of all that stuff, the parasite suit doesn't reduce your rank.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Ambivalent posted:

If you want to do that mission without any cheese (and nonlethally) you basically need to die a lot to learn where all the enemies arrive and do a lot of mine prep and gas grenades and stuff, and even them it’s really hard

For that mission I used the max upgraded (for that point in the game) armor suit. Whatever it’s called, not the parasite suit though. Then I decked myself out with the best rocket launcher I had. When the tanks start spawning in I got on top of the building and took potshots. You’ll have to call in a re-arm a few times to have enough ammo.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Run up to the battalion and Fulton them. I just watched a YouTube video on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

jonathan posted:

Run up to the battalion and Fulton them. I just watched a YouTube video on this.

This was my strategy. Like I said, I do fine until I get one shotted. I'll try again tonight.