Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

quote:

...[W]here private ride options such as UberX and Lyft have failed on promises to cut down on personal driving and car ownership — both of which are trending up — pooled ride services have lured a different market that directly competes with subway and bus systems, while failing to achieve significantly better efficiency than their solo alternatives. The result: more driving overall.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.998db18035b9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Some public libraries have 3D printers now, and makerspace memberships are not necessarily prohibitive.

And those end up being useless for constructing a lot of things, due to the fact you end up needing quite a lot of time, accuracy, and alternate materials for many things.

It's like saying since a barebones color inkjet printer can be had for $20 (before you start counting frequent expensive ink refills, natch), everyone can print a highway banner at home, basically.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

welp uber is in a death spiral now if they can't afford to keep all the vain hail mary programs afloat and have to start consolidating

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

luxury handset posted:

welp uber is in a death spiral now if they can't afford to keep all the vain hail mary programs afloat and have to start consolidating

Isn't Uber still burning massive piles of cash to stay competitive? I remember Naked Capitalism had a good multi part article on Uber that came out in the winter I think. Any more contemporary articles on how they're doing now?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Isn't Uber still burning massive piles of cash to stay competitive? I remember Naked Capitalism had a good multi part article on Uber that came out in the winter I think. Any more contemporary articles on how they're doing now?

nothing's changed. uber's basic problem is that they spent billions building a huge market and customer base, except the service uber provides is extremely easy to replicate. except uber has higher overhead costs from trying to force a monopoly basically. and their only path to short term profitability is to raise fares, potentially pushing that customer base to any number of competitors and triggering the final death spiral

giving up on self driving trucks (a stupid idea for now) could be a sign of wiser, less frivolous spending, or a sign that the company is headed towards a severe contraction

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

luxury handset posted:

nothing's changed. uber's basic problem is that they spent billions building a huge market and customer base, except the service uber provides is extremely easy to replicate. except uber has higher overhead costs from trying to force a monopoly basically. and their only path to short term profitability is to raise fares, potentially pushing that customer base to any number of competitors and triggering the final death spiral

giving up on self driving trucks (a stupid idea for now) could be a sign of wiser, less frivolous spending, or a sign that the company is headed towards a severe contraction

Yeah that was more or less the takeaway I got out of this series. Looks like they last updated in Feb and they aren't doing a whole lot better...

quote:

Uber released new financial data this week, showing full year 2017 GAAP operating losses of $4.5 billion, and an operating margin of negative 61%.

Uber’s challenge is to get the business press to downplay or ignore its dismal financial results, and to present a narrative where these results demonstrate that Uber is making major progress. Although Uber has complete financial information, it only released detailed data for three quarters in 2017 and two quarters in 2016. Although much of the missing data can be filled in from earlier releases, Uber knew that reporters on deadline would not do that, and thus key changes over time would not be examine. [...]

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Had this thread covered WeWork yet? How's that for burning cash?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Dinosaurtrain posted:

Had this thread covered WeWork yet? How's that for burning cash?

Are they public?

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Are they public?

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2018/04/24/1524606395000/More-on-WeWork-and-its-bond-offering/

Oh better than that. They're issuing high yield bonds backed by hoped and dreams.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

luxury handset posted:

Lyft has a self driving car program too.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Spazzle posted:

Lyft has a self driving car program too.

lyft is using self driving cars developed by a third party company, they aren't trying to do it in house because lyft doesn't have a shitload of investors to impress

https://www.aptiv.com/media/article/aptiv-launches-fleet-of-autonomous-vehicles-on-the-lyft-network

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
WeWork bond loses appeal days after debuthttps://www.ft.com/content/0ee5ddb6-4d9a-11e8-97e4-13afc22d86d4

quote:

A growing number of people are joining the trendy co-working spaces that WeWork leases and operates, but its appeal to the US high-yield bond market is rapidly fading.

The US company, which attracted a $4.4bn investment from SoftBank in 2017 that valued it at $20bn, last week surprised some investors by making its debut in the debt market through selling a larger than expected $702m seven-year bond.

However, in its first five days of trading, the price of WeWork’s debt has fallen as low as 95.25 cents on the dollar. Analysts said that was an unusually poor performance for a newly issued high-yield note, especially one with a 7.875 per cent coupon that is higher than all but 15 per cent of the market’s benchmark ICE BofAML US High Yield index.

By comparison, bonds that were issued last year by Tesla, the cash-burning electric car maker that is also promising to disrupt an industry, traded above 97 cents per dollar for two months after their sale.

Despite WeWork’s coupon payment most bond investors who spoke to the Financial Times about the deal were hesitant to buy into a company whose core business involves signing long-term leases on office space and charging members by the month to rent it.

If an economic downturn left it with long-term leases but lacking short-term tenants, the company’s “asset-light” model could leave creditors without many assets to recover in the event of a default.

“It feels like some kind of venture capital deal with debt,” said Adam Cohen, founder of Covenant Review, an independent credit ratings firm. “This doesn’t look anything like your normal bond deal. Frankly it’s unclear when the yield on this business becomes cash-flow neutral, forget positive.”

Recommended
WeWork’s £580m London offices deal answers sustainability questions
In a sign of the division the WeWork sale stirred in the high-yield market, the major rating agencies offered an unusually wide range of opinion on the company’s creditworthiness.

Moody’s was the most pessimistic, rating the notes at Caa1, which meant it considered them “subject to very high credit risk”. The rating reflects concerns about competition and WeWork’s ability to maintain the pace of its current expansion, given its plans to move into new continents, it said.

By contrast, Fitch rated it four levels higher than that, at double B minus, while S&P Global Ratings rated the bonds one notch below at B plus.

Fitch said its rating included assumptions that WeWork would maintain “high double-digit revenue growth” by increasing its number of desks, keep an average occupancy of 80 per cent in its workspaces and reduce net capital expense per desk between 15 and 19 per cent. It also noted the potential for a future IPO from the company.

According to Informa, only one other bond issue has received that set of ratings since 2000.

That's ok I'm sure it's only a matter of time before everyone buys into the concept of "community adjusted EBITDA".

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I just want to say as a PhD chemistry student, owlofcreamcheese is a loving moron, and no one should try to DIY insulin in your basement meth lab

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would take a chance on Heisenberg's artisanal blue insulin.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

luxury handset posted:

lyft is using self driving cars developed by a third party company, they aren't trying to do it in house because lyft doesn't have a shitload of investors to impress

https://www.aptiv.com/media/article/aptiv-launches-fleet-of-autonomous-vehicles-on-the-lyft-network

semi-related question for the thread: my sister's husband is moving to a larger city for a few months to student-teach and since not only are they not paying him to do so, but he has to pay tuition to his university (yay capitalism!!!), he was thinking of taking up ride-share driving temporarily for some quick cash. I know Uber is a terrible shitpile and that Lyft is a less terrible shitpile but that both have labor issues. Is Uber really genuinely so much worse to work that it would be worth telling him he should probably do Lyft? I lean towards yes but if it's temporary and Uber has a larger customer base i'm not so sure

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Artisanal insulin, pssh, where's the artisanal snake oil? What happened to go big or go home disruption?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I just want to say as a PhD chemistry student, owlofcreamcheese is a loving moron, and no one should try to DIY insulin in your basement meth lab

I really wanna know what kind of yields they are getting in their ball-jar home chemistry sets.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I really wanna know what kind of yields they are getting in their ball-jar home chemistry sets.

Getting a high yield is easy if you don't test/care if the thing you got is actually the substance you tried to synthesize

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

luxury handset posted:

Ok dude, I've met some of them and there are 20+ job openings on their website for it. https://www.lyft.com/jobs.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DC Murderverse posted:

semi-related question for the thread: my sister's husband is moving to a larger city for a few months to student-teach and since not only are they not paying him to do so, but he has to pay tuition to his university (yay capitalism!!!), he was thinking of taking up ride-share driving temporarily for some quick cash. I know Uber is a terrible shitpile and that Lyft is a less terrible shitpile but that both have labor issues. Is Uber really genuinely so much worse to work that it would be worth telling him he should probably do Lyft? I lean towards yes but if it's temporary and Uber has a larger customer base i'm not so sure

it's fine to pick up some quick cash but i wouldn't rely on it as a career

Spazzle posted:

Ok dude, I've met some of them and there are 20+ job openings on their website for it. https://www.lyft.com/jobs.

oh ugh you're right, they do have some of it in house

https://medium.com/@lvincent/introducing-level-5-and-our-self-driving-team-705ef8989f03

why, this is such a boondoggle (i know the answer is investor storytime). at least they're talking about partnering with other firms rather than keeping it all in house

quote:

This is what drives us at Lyft — to build a future where shared, self-driving cars make transportation cheaper and more efficient for everyone. It’s a future where there are fewer cars on the road and less traffic. A future where we can devote less of our space to roads, concrete, and parking lots — and more to parks, playgrounds, homes and local businesses. It is a future where cars no longer contribute meaningfully to greenhouse gas emissions, and with less pollution to cloud our blue skies. It’s a future, in short, where we build our communities and our world around people, not cars.

i just hate this wide eyed futurism poo poo. you may as well be talking about o'neil cylinders. minimum parking requirement standards in 16,000 jurisdictions across the US laugh at your pathetic dreams. for anything to do with parking in the united states, Shoup is the man to read

http://shoup.bol.ucla.edu/Trouble.pdf

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 1, 2018

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

DC Murderverse posted:

Pretty much everyone trying to make more than walking around money does both at the same time.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i wish there were more urban planning people itt who could yell about how you're not going to get rid of cars by making robot cars like there were enough chemists to yell about how you're not going to get rid of diabetes by throwing crap into a blender

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
[That picture that shows how much space you need to transport the same amount of people, except with autonomous cars taking double the space since half of them will be empty]

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
Has anyone here yet posted about the Tesla lawsuit against former tech, Martin Tripp? It's a bizarre loving story and the text of the lawsuit is pretty damning if even half true.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/07/man-accused-of-sabotage-at-tesla-brings-his-own-lawsuit-over-defamation/

quote:

Martin Tripp, an ex-Tesla technician the company has accused of hacking and sabotage, has now countersued his former employer and claimed that Tesla defamed him.

Since Tesla fired Tripp and sued him more than a month ago for alleged trade secrets theft, he has hired a New York attorney to help him file a formal whistleblower complaint with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Here is some text from the suit itself ( https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4623512-Gov-Uscourts-Nvd-131279-25-0.html#document/p13/a443994)

quote:

Later in the afternoon on May 16, 2018, Mr. Tripp's Manufacturing Engineer Manager asked Mr. Tripp to "forward" him the "email to Elon so that I can avoid getting fired tonight." After Mr. Tripp asked why the Manufacturing Engineer Manager would get fired, the Manufacturing Engineer Manager explained: "because I'm the guy showing him the line and our problems like yield, the guy standing in front of him is the guy who gets fired, and tonight I’m the guy in front of him."

That same day, a Design Engineer asked Mr. Tripp to "clean up" the stator production line area so Mr. Musk would not see the mounds of scrap and waste lying on the ground. Mr. Tripp declined to do so because he had repeatedly complained to his supervisors about that very issue over the course of several months, but his complaints had been ignored. Mr. Tripp wanted Mr. Musk to observe how the Gigafactory was actually being operated.

The next day, May 17, 2018, Mr. Tripp was "reassigned" to the battery module production line.

31. Mr Tripp also observed Counterdefendent's employees systematically reusing vehicle parts, such as battery cells and bandoliers, that had been previously discarded as waste. Mr Tripp wa even told by one colleague that the colleague, after seeing damaged parts being reused, intentionally further damaged the parts to prevent them from being used in a Model 3.

33. In Mid-May 2018, Counterdefendent's Manufacturing Operating System ("MOS") showed that from Jan 1 2018 to Mid May 2018, approximately $150000000 to $200000000 worth of battery module parts , including bandoliers and battery cells, had been categorized as "Scrap." By running a "with child" query, Mr Tripp determined that these "Scrap" battery module parts were actual vehicle parts with an accompanying bill of sale.

Perhaps most egregiously, Mr. Tripp was told by multiple process technicians and associates that a "teach pin" had been left on a robot used in the manufacturing process of battery modules, causing damage to the battery modules. Mr. Tripp was told by the process technicians and associates that when the robot had picked up a battery module, the teach pin, which had become "unthreaded" and "longer," struck the clamshell (i.e., the outer plastic coating) of the battery module, causing a dent and/or puncture. Mr. Tripp was further told that, eventually, the teach pin began puncturing the actual battery cells within the battery module. Approximately 1,173 battery modules had been damaged by this process.

It also sounds very likely that Tesla tried to "SWAT" him (from the ArsTechnica article)

quote:

In yet another bizarre turn in this twisted tale, in the immediate wake of the June 2018 lawsuit filed against Tripp, a woman at the Gigafactory said she received a call from an anonymous caller claiming that Tripp had threatened to "shoot the place up."

Tripp previously categorically denied making any such statement to Ars, which prompted a visit by the Storey County Sheriff. The local authorities ultimately determined that there was "no credible threat."

Even if Tesla did receive such a call, according to the lawsuit, Tesla "did not, based upon information and belief, conduct a reasonable investigation to determine whether the purported caller was actually a 'friend of Mr. Tripp' before making the foregoing false and defamatory publication, such as obtaining the name of the caller or ascertaining how the caller knew Mr. Tripp."

This, Tripp’s lawyers argue, constitutes "at least negligence."

Even more strangely, the lawsuit continues, during the sheriff's investigation, Tesla "appeared to know exactly where Mr. Tripp was located the majority of the time and, after being asked by the investigating deputies how it was aware of such information, [Tesla] simply replied ‘little birds sing.’"

Tesla did not immediately respond to Ars' request for comment.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 1, 2018

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
Wow, holy poo poo:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Wow, holy poo poo:

https://twitter.com/marycmccormack/status/1007831286176571394

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The Elon Musk Thread is live-commenting the earnings call right now

Elon is very underslept and not very coherent, but the stock is way up in after-hours trading, so he's appeasing hte gods

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

I can't wait until Tesla ousts Musk as CEO and Chairman. Only question is if it's before or after they file Ch11

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I can't wait until Tesla ousts Musk as CEO and Chairman. Only question is if it's before or after they file Ch11

There's no way they'll oust him. He's the only thing letting them print money for basically nothing. Without him and his space and drilling adventures acting as an electric hypeman, they're done.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

a foolish pianist posted:

There's no way they'll oust him. He's the only thing letting them print money for basically nothing. Without him and his space and drilling adventures acting as an electric hypeman, they're done.

Elon Musk is what's making them shred money. What on Earth makes you think he's helping them gain money?

Hell his freakout poo poo alone drove massivley more institutional examination of Tesla's actual financial figures and triggered all the mass distrust of the company. Without a leader who decided to get all weird in public like him for the past year or so, they'd probably have avoided major scrutiny.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

fishmech posted:

Elon Musk is what's making them shred money. What on Earth makes you think he's helping them gain money?

Hell his freakout poo poo alone drove massivley more institutional examination of Tesla's actual financial figures and triggered all the mass distrust of the company. Without a leader who decided to get all weird in public like him for the past year or so, they'd probably have avoided major scrutiny.

Yeah I mean after all, look how long Valeant kept going with a CEO of normal CEO level incompetence. It's vaguely a miracle that the company has gone on as long as it has.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

fishmech posted:

On the other hand, without charismatic nerd spaceman, they never would have gotten the value they have.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

a foolish pianist posted:

On the other hand, without charismatic nerd spaceman, they never would have gotten the value they have.

Being in business with reduced value is significantly more profitable than a temporary boost in value that gets wiped before most investors can benefit from it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Ratoslov posted:

I gotta say, no two words in the english language makes my butthole pucker quite like 'homemade epi-pen'.

Epinephrine is a hella-cheap drug and you can learn to draw and administer it with a vial and syringe in 5 minutes. Autoinjectors are pieces of plastic with a spring in the center. As far as medical tech goes, a homemade epi-pen would be pretty hard to gently caress up.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Baronash posted:

Epinephrine is a hella-cheap drug and you can learn to draw and administer it with a vial and syringe in 5 minutes. Autoinjectors are pieces of plastic with a spring in the center. As far as medical tech goes, a homemade epi-pen would be pretty hard to gently caress up.

The issue is less the delivery mechanism (though the average home isn't equipped with an autoclave), and more trying to make epinephrine in a bathtub.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
You don't even really need an autoinjector if you know how to draw up and use a pre-filled syringe. Needles are also dirt cheap. You do not need a 3D printer to successfully administer epinephrine.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 2, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kommienzuspadt posted:

You don't even really need an autoinjector if you know how to draw up and use a pre-filled syringe. Needles are also dirt cheap. You do not need a 3D printer to successfully administer epinephrine.

Doesn't seem to me like you understand ~~~disruption~~~

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
If you draw it up yourself, you can also get the big long needles and inject it directly into your heart. Like in The Rock.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Midwestern Unicorn successful exit:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/cisco-buys-duo-security-for-2-35-billion-adds-cloud-based-authentication-to-security-lineup/

quote:

Cisco said it will acquire Duo Security, which provides security and authentication cloud services, for $2.35 billion.

I'm hoping their employees had fairly generous options. That's a lot of dollars for Ann Arbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Baronash posted:

Autoinjectors are pieces of plastic with a spring in the center.

A micropipette is a piece of plastic with a spring in the center and we pay hundreds for them and pay a vendor to calibrate them every 3 months.