Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Asema posted:

yeah but like if he's ok with just being stuck at gold 5 this all makes sense. he'd probably be way higher if he actually tried to learn properly which is sad, but it's whatever man you can't really blame them for playing the game they want to play

The struggle is the waffle between the attitudes "I just want to play for fun" and "I am gold 5, -14 lp, why do my team mates always feed."

I understand the struggle, the things you need to win the game are not fun. Keeping track of summunors spells aren't fun. Having to last hit consistently can be frustrating. He wants to start Vlad with dark seal, farm safely until 6. Come back to lane and burn flash + ignite and hope to win off of that snow ball if he gets a kill. When you win off that type of snowball you feel very very good. When the plan doesn't work out you also lose very hard.

His entire game strategy for 1000 games has been to snowball with either draven or vladimir. I think there's an element of not learning that other team members might have alternative win conditions and trying to enable them if your plan doesn't work out that would boost his win rate. Part of that is helping contest vision, but that's just one small part of integrating into a team focused playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I don't think I've ever seen a Tahm jungle

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

101 posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a Tahm jungle

It was great. Also from a time when the AOE purple smite still existed.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

milkman dad posted:

(doesn't like hextech protobelt on Vlad because it doesn't have smart cast with indicators, like dota)
Yeah it does, just needs to set his options/bindings properly

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

milkman dad posted:

I understand the struggle, the things you need to win the game are not fun. Keeping track of summunors spells aren't fun. Having to last hit consistently can be frustrating. He wants to start Vlad with dark seal, farm safely until 6. Come back to lane and burn flash + ignite and hope to win off of that snow ball if he gets a kill. When you win off that type of snowball you feel very very good. When the plan doesn't work out you also lose very hard.

what the god drat holy poo poo are you talking about dude. using all of your skills and information to predict plays and having it execute is the best thing in league of legends.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

what the god drat holy poo poo are you talking about dude. using all of your skills and information to predict plays and having it execute is the best thing in league of legends.

I phrased that incorrectly. I agree with your sentiment. The point I'm trying to communicate is that for most players looking at the game at face value what they want is to somehow click on their opponent better and win, like a duel. The reality, and I agree with you, that when you actually do it correctly that building small advantages and then smashing your opponent in a lower risk fashion is much more fun. Learning all those small things takes time and effort. The point I was trying to emphasize is that there are probably 100+ you can learn to be better that's not immediately obvious in the game that make you better than another player. It's honestly why I have played the game as long as I have.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

predicting anything deprives you of the opportunity to show off your ability to have insane reaction times when you get caught like a jack rear end

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Super Librarian posted:

your mmr, in fact, potentially appears to be silver 1

+14 LP is probably about right

That's weird on my screen it was saying G4. Thanks for the QA :thumbsup:

Asema posted:

Your MMR isn't around Gold 4, why do you think it is?

Was using OP.GG maybe it was bugged :shrug:

Asema posted:

yeah but like if he's ok with just being stuck at gold 5 this all makes sense. he'd probably be way higher if he actually tried to learn properly which is sad, but it's whatever man you can't really blame them for playing the game they want to play

I know I can climb higher but I don't really want to put the effort in. Casually playing (a lot) and not knowing all of the champs lets me not see other people's mistakes and get angry. Ignorance is bliss. When I play dota, all I see are my mistake and the mistakes of others and you can't ever unknow that. I just play and try to blow poo poo up and I hit my goal of gold and I am having fun. I can play this game pretty drunk and maintain my rank so I am having fun.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 1, 2018

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
jesus christ why are they nerfing irelia again

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Verviticus posted:

jesus christ why are they nerfing irelia again

In your heart, you know the reason why

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
shes like 46% win rate. i dont pay attention in the slightest to pro so id be unsurprised if someone can say shes pick/ban there but at least from my perspective, shes not very good rightnow

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

So they can bring those back down who only leveled because of her

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Verviticus posted:

shes like 46% win rate. i dont pay attention in the slightest to pro so id be unsurprised if someone can say shes pick/ban there but at least from my perspective, shes not very good rightnow

I was just making a better nerf Irelia joke

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

A better question than why nerf Irelia is why buff Lee Sin, he was finally bad in jungle for once.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Verviticus posted:

I think by buffing her passive and base AD they're trying to buff her toplane by boosting her sustained auto-attack damage while taking her out of the midlane by nerfing her burstiness. In theory it's probably supposed to be net buff but she might end up in Ryze/Azir balance land because elite players are still getting good results with her I think.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Lord_Magmar posted:

A better question than why nerf Irelia is why buff Lee Sin, he was finally bad in jungle for once.

He's been bad for a really long time, I'm OK with a lee buff now that I've experienced life without him.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enigma89 posted:

I know I can climb higher but I don't really want to put the effort in. Casually playing (a lot) and not knowing all of the champs lets me not see other people's mistakes and get angry. Ignorance is bliss. When I play dota, all I see are my mistake and the mistakes of others and you can't ever unknow that. I just play and try to blow poo poo up and I hit my goal of gold and I am having fun. I can play this game pretty drunk and maintain my rank so I am having fun.

That's all fine and dandy dude but don't come in here whining about how you can't climb again lmao

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Transient People posted:

He's been bad for a really long time, I'm OK with a lee buff now that I've experienced life without him.

I prefer life without him

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

It's Guinsoo's birthday today, so make sure to build Guinsoo's in all your games!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Asema posted:

That's all fine and dandy dude but don't come in here whining about how you can't climb again lmao

I know it's a common knee jerk reaction for a moba player to just dismiss people but you really misunderstood here.

I was just asking a question and not whining in the least. My question is why my lp gain per game was closer to 10 than 20. Not why I was not climbing. I just was curious if lp gain gets tapered the higher you go cause it definitely does in dota.

That's all.

I am actually really enjoying playing league even though I think it is a vastly inferior game. I just got so loving angry playing dota that it soured the game for me. The other thing is that because League games are way shorter its much easier to play in random times. Dota just takes so loving long sometimes. I am definitely addicted to the grind now and play way more league than dota.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Dotalol

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If you move your account to LAN you'll be challenger in no time, take it from me, a hard stuck silver player that made it to platinum there

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enigma89 posted:

I just was curious if lp gain gets tapered the higher you go cause it definitely does in dota.

LoL uses a very straightforward Elo system with a bunch of fluff to disguise it as something else.

Two things affect your gain:

1) How far away you are from your MMR.
2) How confident the system is that you're where you belong.

After 1000 matches the system is very confident that you are where you belong, even if your MMR is higher, which it much likely isn't. But even if it is, you have enough games around the same Elo that the system is adjusted to accept any increase or decrease in MMR as a potential random fluctuation. Of course, if you keep winning or losing, the system loses confidence, and the lower the confidence the higher your gains (and losses).

If you win 20 matches in a row, the system will both set you MMR skyhigh as well as lose confidence. If you then lose another match you will lose a great deal of points even if your MMR is higher, because the system believes that you're not where you truly belong. If you then win again, lose again, win again, and so on, your confidence will increase and the system will stabilize, even if your MMR remain the same.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, about LP getting tapered: Not really. There was a brief moment in time in a single season where that happened, but afterwards the system does the exact opposite. The game hates smurfs and will do everything in its power to increase your rank. I gave you examples where your MMR is different and the confidence is high, and where the MMR is similar but the confidence is low.

If both the MMR and the confidence are high, the game will shower you with so many points you won't know what to do with them. You'll be skipping 300-400 points worth of divisions in your bo3/bo5s, and gaining 50-60 points outside of them, regardless of what your rank is.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It’s true. After you win straight through 1 or two tiers you start skipping them so your MMR can keep up with where you’re at. I went from gold 2 to plat 5 once with no division series.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that. If the difference is high enough you skip the series as well. You don't even get to a best of 3 or best of 5, one moment you're Gold 2 50 points and then the next you're Platinum.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So I feel a bit like a recovering addict asking about the quality of the neighborhood crack but I'm starting to get a lol itch after a few years away from the game.

The last time I played any real amount was around when the gangplank update was released and I wanted to check in and see if its worth getting into the game again. I heard some stuff through the grapevine that botlane is currently a dumpster fire and that runes and masteries are no more but aside from that I have basically no idea if the game is even "good" anymore or if its worth playing.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Besides Riot having a continued obsessive hatred of point-and-click abilities and, yes, bot lane meta going through a metamorphosis, the game is fundamentally the same.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dancer posted:

Besides Riot having a continued obsessive hatred of point-and-click abilities and, yes, bot lane meta going through a metamorphosis, the game is fundamentally the same.

are Gangplank and Jhin any good right now? Those two champions are probably the most interesting to me and what I'd like to use to ease myself back in

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Both are very good, Stormrazor is a new item that was very good for GP as it basically guarantees crit barrels. Same thing for Jhin as the Stormrazor passive more or less matches his reload time so your first and 4th shots are guaranteed crits once you have it.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

AnEdgelord posted:

are Gangplank and Jhin any good right now? Those two champions are probably the most interesting to me and what I'd like to use to ease myself back in

Jhin is one of the few ADCs still getting decent play while meta decides what mages/bruisers work best in botlane. He has a fair amount of power behind him and I still think he's one of Riot's best designed champs in terms of feel.

GP is a hard lategame-scaling champion but is getting use right now, you basically try and farm up as hard as you can because your late-game barrels do so much god drat damage.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

just understand that the average game length is the shortest i can remember since like, season 3. so late game is not a fair bet.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

"Late game" these days starts at, like, 30-35 minutes. Both teams have to be trying really hard to not end the game before 40 minutes with how powerful Baron and Elder are and how turrets crumble if you look at them funny by that point in the game.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Good. The towers aren't there to protect you, you are there to protect the towers

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Well I guess its good that the hour long hellgames that I remember happening are a thing of the past

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Elentor posted:

LoL uses a very straightforward Elo system with a bunch of fluff to disguise it as something else.

Two things affect your gain:

1) How far away you are from your MMR.
2) How confident the system is that you're where you belong.

After 1000 matches the system is very confident that you are where you belong, even if your MMR is higher, which it much likely isn't. But even if it is, you have enough games around the same Elo that the system is adjusted to accept any increase or decrease in MMR as a potential random fluctuation. Of course, if you keep winning or losing, the system loses confidence, and the lower the confidence the higher your gains (and losses).

If you win 20 matches in a row, the system will both set you MMR skyhigh as well as lose confidence. If you then lose another match you will lose a great deal of points even if your MMR is higher, because the system believes that you're not where you truly belong. If you then win again, lose again, win again, and so on, your confidence will increase and the system will stabilize, even if your MMR remain the same.

Elentor posted:

Also, about LP getting tapered: Not really. There was a brief moment in time in a single season where that happened, but afterwards the system does the exact opposite. The game hates smurfs and will do everything in its power to increase your rank. I gave you examples where your MMR is different and the confidence is high, and where the MMR is similar but the confidence is low.

If both the MMR and the confidence are high, the game will shower you with so many points you won't know what to do with them. You'll be skipping 300-400 points worth of divisions in your bo3/bo5s, and gaining 50-60 points outside of them, regardless of what your rank is.

My initial reaction is that really sucks but I can see why it is really good to punish smurfs. In DotA it's pretty much always +25/-25 until you get super high and then you play against lowbies and then you start getting into +15/-35 mmr. If you are great then you will climb but you won't climb that fast because you are always climbing at +25 per game. If you are smurfing then you can really terrorize lower mmr games for quite a while.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Hmm, I finally get gamergate.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Is the new akali any good? I ran into one last night and she was feeding. Luckily she was not on my team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Enigma89 posted:

My initial reaction is that really sucks but I can see why it is really good to punish surfs.

I see it as more of rewarding smurfs. It means you can play way fewer games on a smurf to get back up to your main's level, and if you maintain a ~60%+ win rate you climb really quickly whether or not you're smurfing.

I guess if your goal is just to poo poo on worse players as a smurf then it's a punishment, but I'm pretty ok with that.