Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

They were seconds from being attacked.

Both of them went one on one with Overhaul not much later, and I don't remember it exactly being a slaughter.

They also knew what Overhaul's quirk was at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

chiasaur11 posted:

Both of them went one on one with Overhaul not much later, and I don't remember it exactly being a slaughter.

I mean it was. From lemillion destroying overhaul and the latter only surviving from his minion reversing time to heal him

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

chiasaur11 posted:

Deku, at least, absolutely would've died, 100%.

He only survived his fight due to having an Eri that had her heart touched by Mirio duct-taped to his back.

Mirio likely would have survived long enough to flee the scene, with a dead Deku and dead/lost Eri.

Do you think Mirio didn't want to save Eri, then and there? Of course he did, but his superior experience and ability to read opponents and body language (Eri and hints at the deadliness of Overhaul's quirk) told him that if they tried, the outcome, then and there, was no victory for anyone, no matter how much plus ultra they put into it. So he made the only possible choice that didn't result in immediate disaster for everyone, and went straight into pushing their superiors to find and plan a rescue for this girl they just met on the street.

These people that still try and push this 'Deku proved he's a true hero, Mirio proved he wasn't' position are being willfully obtuse or genuinely dense.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Deku, at least, absolutely would've died, 100%.

He only survived his fight due to having an Eri that had her heart touched by Mirio duct-taped to his back.

Mirio likely would have survived long enough to flee the scene, with a dead Deku and dead/lost Eri.

Do you think Mirio didn't want to save Eri, then and there? Of course he did, but his superior experience and ability to read opponents and body language (Eri and hints at the deadliness of Overhaul's quirk) told him that if they tried, the outcome, then and there, was no victory for anyone, no matter how much plus ultra they put into it. So he made the only possible choice that didn't result in immediate disaster for everyone, and went straight into pushing their superiors to find and plan a rescue for this girl they just met on the street.

These people that still try and push this 'Deku proved he's a true hero, Mirio proved he wasn't' position are being willfully obtuse or genuinely dense.

I think you forgot how the actual fights with Overhaul went, the only reason Mirio 'lost' was because he had to protect Eri from the quirk-eraser he thought was an actual bullet, before that, he literally trounced Overhaul before the man could do anything to him. Mirio's entire ability is based around NOT BEING TOUCHED, And you think Mirio not knowing that Overhaul's power is based on touching would have mattered at all, because the guy who's entire fighting style revolved around not letting himself be touched, would have let himself be touched?

As for Deku vs Overhaul, Deku only struggled because Overhaul merged himself with one of his goons, because he was using them as a personal power up. They had a really good chance against him even if they didn't know his quirk, the whole point is that alone, Overhaul has a strong quirk, but can't match either of them. it's when he uses the human debris he's collected around him as tools, that he grows in power.

For fucks sake, Mirio, lacking a quirk, fought Overhaul, who could one-hit kill him, for minutes without issue.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mirio is just better than deku at everything

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Onmi posted:

I think you forgot how the actual fights with Overhaul went, the only reason Mirio 'lost' was because he had to protect Eri from the quirk-eraser he thought was an actual bullet, before that, he literally trounced Overhaul before the man could do anything to him. Mirio's entire ability is based around NOT BEING TOUCHED, And you think Mirio not knowing that Overhaul's power is based on touching would have mattered at all, because the guy who's entire fighting style revolved around not letting himself be touched, would have let himself be touched?

As for Deku vs Overhaul, Deku only struggled because Overhaul merged himself with one of his goons, because he was using them as a personal power up. They had a really good chance against him even if they didn't know his quirk, the whole point is that alone, Overhaul has a strong quirk, but can't match either of them. it's when he uses the human debris he's collected around him as tools, that he grows in power.

For fucks sake, Mirio, lacking a quirk, fought Overhaul, who could one-hit kill him, for minutes without issue.

And as for the one hit kill, Deku's ran into Shimura. He's familiar with the idea of not getting hit. And conveniently, he'd just switched over to shoot style, which lets him keep some distance.

Mirio locks Overhaul down, Deku grabs Eri and runs. Overhaul might disengage, in which case he's pretty much lost his whole plan unless he's going to take on the world's top heroes on their terrain (and he's still going to get destroyed by the League of Villains as soon as there's an opening), or he stays, in which case Mirio leaves a metaphorical boot in his rear end and he gets locked up.

Net result? Yakuza goes down, Eri is saved, same as in the manga, but now Mirio's still got his whole future in front of him, Sir Nighteye's alive and doing good, and nobody had to get stabbed.

It's not that Mirio isn't a hero. He's still a great guy and a worthy heir to One For All. It's just that Deku's a better one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

Overhaul got unmerged from his goons by the time Deku fought him proper thanks to Eri reversing some stuff. He just turned himself into an enormous concrete monster from nearby buildings/ and streets immediately afterward. Which made him even stronger than when he was merged.

Not that it really matters, because both Mirio and Deku were broken up about not doing more to help Eri. But even though that’s the case neither the characters nor the story really use that to show “oh, Deku is more heroic than Mirio”. Determining whether Deku or Mirio is the better hero isn’t really something the Overhaul arc explores at all, and if it’s just trying to be subtle about it it doesn’t do a great job. If only because Deku’s role in the arc wasn’t super well done while Mirio was very well executed and makes him come off as one of the most ideal heroes in the comic.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fabricated posted:

So would Todoroki or Inasa or Bakugou in terms of raw power. The point is that Midoriya is more of a hero than any of them. Midoriya proved he was better than Mirio in that alley even if Mirio regretted his choice later and decided to change.

I mean there's a long stream of One for All users that died to All for One the past, at a certain point it *does* come down to raw power and ability. A Mirio that can move as fast as All Might without having to worry about pesky things like "Wind resistance" or "Having to physically interact with buildings or people in his way" negates most conflict. "How will we deal with this entrenched enemy posit.....oh Mirio basically tele-punched all the dudes in the face instantly, fight over. Thanks Mirio!".

I'd take a slightly less ideologically pure hero who happens to be orders of magnitude stronger. As would, you know, all the dead people.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Determining whether Deku or Mirio is the better hero isn’t really something the Overhaul arc explores at all, and if it’s just trying to be subtle about it it doesn’t do a great job.

Maybe if you ignore the entirety of Nighteye's inner monologue through the whole story. That idea was brought up, explored, and discarded through the progression of the arc because Deku proved himself to the point where even magic foresight couldn't break down who he is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Maybe if you ignore the entirety of Nighteye's inner monologue through the whole story. That idea was brought up, explored, and discarded through the progression of the arc because Deku proved himself to the point where even magic foresight couldn't break down who he is.

Nighteye accepting Deku as a hero and an appropriate holder of OFA is totally a part of the arc. Him being more worthy of it than Mirio isn’t. But beyond Nighteyes declaration of Mirio as the better successor and some slight Deku angst it’s something that I don’t think gets much play in the arc at all.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Nighteye accepting Deku as a hero and an appropriate holder of OFA is totally a part of the arc. Him being more worthy of it than Mirio isn’t. But beyond Nighteyes declaration of Mirio as the better successor and some slight Deku angst it’s something that I don’t think gets much play in the arc at all.

I feel like you're kind of handwaving a very significant emotional beat and like the entire first half of the arc.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Consider:
Mirio made the decision that Nighteye would approve of.
Deku wanted to make the decision that All Might would approve of.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It is obviously something that is brought up, but it is never directly answered, which is exactly the point. The entire series is constantly juggling these questions about heroics. All of Stain, and the Police Chief's conversation with Deku, Iida and Todoroki. The Symbol of Peace. Moving without thinking. Sacrificing your own body and health for the sake of others. These are all points that readers think about, question the validity and purpose of. If All Might had been there, he absolutely would have acted as Deku wanted to, but the question of what is "correct" and what is "right" is something that has been simmering throughout the entire series.

In other words

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i mean stealing a child just because you assume they're being abused is uh illegal.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Terper posted:

In other words

That dude is an idiot that in some versions of reality *literally* turned into his own worst enemy. Never listen to him.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PMush Perfect posted:

Consider:
Mirio made the decision that Nighteye would approve of.
Deku wanted to make the decision that All Might would approve of.

Consider:
Nighteye is dead, making him more akin to previous One for All holders than All Might is

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Onmi posted:

No, I didn't forget how they went, thanks, given that I...said that Mirio would get away safely, not being touch-able. Also that Deku wouldn't because he couldn't easily handle Overhaul even with a massive Eri powerup he wouldn't have had at that time against an Overhaul that wasn't, in fact, merged with one of his goons when Deku fought him at the end of the raid?

And that his "strong" quirk would in fact have literally murdered Deku in one touch when they didn't know it could do that and Deku, who has a perpetual habit of charging in and taking hits from enemies, would have wound up getting touched when an Eri that was suddenly freaking out about these two heroes being murdered because of her (even before it happens, of course, thanks to Overhaul's mental abuse) wasn't cooperating with them trying to rescue her then and there and was in fact telling them to leave her there?

Maybe you should read it again, you seem to have forgotten how it went, or maybe you just wanted to distort my position?

edit:

chiasaur11 posted:

And as for the one hit kill, Deku's ran into Shimura. He's familiar with the idea of not getting hit. And conveniently, he'd just switched over to shoot style, which lets him keep some distance.

Mirio locks Overhaul down, Deku grabs Eri and runs. Overhaul might disengage, in which case he's pretty much lost his whole plan unless he's going to take on the world's top heroes on their terrain (and he's still going to get destroyed by the League of Villains as soon as there's an opening), or he stays, in which case Mirio leaves a metaphorical boot in his rear end and he gets locked up.

Net result? Yakuza goes down, Eri is saved, same as in the manga, but now Mirio's still got his whole future in front of him, Sir Nighteye's alive and doing good, and nobody had to get stabbed.

It's not that Mirio isn't a hero. He's still a great guy and a worthy heir to One For All. It's just that Deku's a better one.

Also, this is literally all predicated on them knowing what Overhaul's quirk was, or how it worked, and thus that they couldn't let him touch them at all, even once, from the very start. Which they didn't. Which is why Deku's experience with Shimura is completely pointless to bring up here and irrelevant to this situation, the whole idea of 'oh well they just wouldn't let him touch them' which a lot of people seem to handwave.

They have no idea he can kill in one touch, instantly. They have no idea he can also apparently turn a tight alley like that into a corridor of razor-sharp spikes. Or that he's perfectly happy to kill Eri with the above-mentioned spike explosions, because he can repair her later. Or that he's a complete sociopath happy to kill heroes at the drop of a hat, rather than just some punk/abusive relative.

All this monday morning quarterbacking about how they could've totally taken him with no problems and resolved everything right there is bullshit, and using it to cast aspersions or judgments on the moral righteousness of these fictional characters is almost as dumb as my wasting all this time pointing it out here, so I'll just stop now. Sorry, everybody.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 1, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

I mean there's a long stream of One for All users that died to All for One the past, at a certain point it *does* come down to raw power and ability. A Mirio that can move as fast as All Might without having to worry about pesky things like "Wind resistance" or "Having to physically interact with buildings or people in his way" negates most conflict. "How will we deal with this entrenched enemy posit.....oh Mirio basically tele-punched all the dudes in the face instantly, fight over. Thanks Mirio!".

I'd take a slightly less ideologically pure hero who happens to be orders of magnitude stronger. As would, you know, all the dead people.

I could argue power levels and the fact that of course Mirio looks like a more powerful hero because he has had a lot more experience in training and utilizing his quirk then Deku has. In the end though it doesn't really matter since from the get go Mirio has already proven that while he has the potential to be an amazing hero, he does not have the right mindset to inherit OFA. His hero name is already admitting the fact that there is a limit to how many people he will be able to save and that is frankly not good enough when it comes to inheriting OFA.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I would be fairly alarmed if one of the lessons that is supposed to be taken away from the Overhaul arc is "It is very good to rush in and attack with barely a plan and Deku should have done that."

Like...while All Might said that stories of great heroes include them moving in without thinking, the only reason that worked out for Deku in that instance is because the strongest hero in the nation was standing a few feet away and was able to rescue him. I am pretty sure the actual point of that whole line of thinking is that it's a heroic instinct that displays selfless thinking that's truly concerned for the well being of others over the safety of oneself. It's not something that people should be encouraged to emulate and All Might's inability to effectively communicate that is one of his faults as a teacher.

Deku almost irreversibly wrecked his arms because of that instinct.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I feel like you're kind of handwaving a very significant emotional beat and like the entire first half of the arc.

It's just that the arc ends with Deku offering to give up OFA for Mirio and although he turns him down I don't recall it being framed as 'because Deku's more worthy of OFA or a better successor to All Might than Mirio would be', and if this arc was supposed to answer the question of 'Should Deku have gotten OFA over this cool upper classman?" I don't think that's how it would end. I don't even really think the story does all that much to explore the differences between Deku and Mirio, like obviously there are differences but if Horikoshi was really trying to tell the story of 'Nighteye was wrong and Deku is a better choice for inheriting OFA than Mirio' then surely that would be something that gets a bit of narrative focus.

The scene where the two meet Eri and Chisaki for the first time is basically the only time anything of the sort gets explored and I honestly don't think the difference in their reactions is framed as being especially significant. Like, clearly it's a very important scene and both characters later regret not taking greater action and doing more, but I don't think it really comes off as "and this is why Deku is the one with OFA!". And I don't think it really gets followed through. Maybe that's just me though, because I know lots of people point to that scene as to where that whole idea gets addressed.

Nighteye does get proven wrong and all and comes to the conclusion that Deku is a worthy successor and a good hero. That's a big part of the arc but I don't think it really explores it in a way that also says "And Deku is more heroic that Mirio." I guess all i'm trying to say is I feel the thing that actually gets focus is "Deku proving to Nighteye that he is a true hero" not "Deku proves that he is a more worthy successor of All Might than the other candidate".

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Deku's cool and good. Mirio's cool and good.

I believe that All Might would always choose Deku over Mirio because of who All Might is and who Deku is, and that alone makes Deku a more "legitimate" successor

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

thetoughestbean posted:

I believe that All Might would always choose Deku over Mirio because of who All Might is and who Deku is, and that alone makes Deku a more "legitimate" successor

A good post that I agree with.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

:yeah:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mirio probably would have beaten overhaul if they'd fought when they first met, but they were also in the middle of the city and people definitely would have gotten hurt. mirio wasn't wrong to choose not to attack and deku wasn't wrong for wanting to save eri then and there

thetoughestbean posted:

yea it's like nighteye said. deku shares the same madness that all might has, which mirio does not

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Thais_FreireSa/status/1024368035417731074

The worst roommate

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

All this Mirio talk is making me realize, the Overhaul arc is the next story in the anime, right? I hope we see a little bit of Mirio at the end of the season. I love him so much.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

100 degrees Calcium posted:

All this Mirio talk is making me realize, the Overhaul arc is the next story in the anime, right? I hope we see a little bit of Mirio at the end of the season. I love him so much.

yup, internships would be the next arc. all signs point to the season ending on the introduction of the Big 3 and next year being the internship arc and the cultural festival

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Seeing the cultural festival animated is going to rule.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Considering that they have already realized an ost for both him and Overhaul it would make no sense to not see Mirio.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Considering that they have already realized an ost for both him and Overhaul it would make no sense to not see Mirio.

It's gonna end with them walking on screen.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that'd be a pretty ridiculous cliff hanger

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

that'd be a pretty ridiculous cliff hanger

I know right?!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Seeing the cultural festival animated is going to rule.

I want a filler ova of class b's play

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

yup, internships would be the next arc. all signs point to the season ending on the introduction of the Big 3 and next year being the internship arc and the cultural festival

I wonder how it's going to end up when divided in episodes. Overhaul's arc is pretty dense compared to the cultural festival.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 1, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Artelier posted:

I want a filler ova of class b's play

I don't know if they could make that work for an entire episode, but having a good half of an episode devoted to it would be great. Also I would love to see the beauty contest as any beauty contest where creating what amounts to tank as part of the competition is something that deserves to be watched.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Speaking of which, is the anime in danger of overtaking the manga? I don't think we were this close to what's currently going on in the manga at the end of last season.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Viridiant posted:

Speaking of which, is the anime in danger of overtaking the manga? I don't think we were this close to what's currently going on in the manga at the end of last season.

No way. There's still stuff to adapt, and this isn't a forever-running anime like One Piece. If it ends up too close to the manga, it can just stop for a year or so, or give a 12-episode season rather than a 24-episode one.

It's not going into filler hell, by format it can't.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Viridiant posted:

Considering how the manga is about 4 or so arks ahead of the anime I would say we are safe, especially with the anime only airing at most two cours a year.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

I didn't know about that. I'll have to look those up after work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I didn't know about that. I'll have to look those up after work!

They are both great tracks which do a lot to represent who they are as characters.