Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
wheres the fricken episode?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

wheres the fricken episode?!?!

RillAkBea posted:

[...]
And it looks like no new episode next week.

Episode got too interesting and they have to add more people praising the MC.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

What was broadcast instead in Japan was a 'special' where some celebrities visited the Gundam Base and made Gunpla. Then there was a short montage of all the fights so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

What was broadcast instead in Japan was a 'special' where some celebrities visited the Gundam Base and made Gunpla. Then there was a short montage of all the fights so far.

And why are you not telling us which Gunpla they made? :colbert:

The details are important, you know!

edit: Oh my god, Bandai are insane and I love it. :allears:.

quote:

The Gundam Base Tokyo promotes the Gundam Build Divers Festival for the first time to showcase new GunPla releases and announcements.

The exhibit shows a "GunPla Battle Laboratory" room in which they revealed some early concept for their upcoming project.

The future of GunPla is getting more exciting as we get to the 40th anniversary of Gundam in 2019!

Here are some photos showing 3D tests on a customized GunPla. The 3D scanning device will project the parts of the GunPla and convert it into a movable computer generated one. Once the parts are properly programmed and scanned in the computer, you will be able to make it move into the space that is provided for it to move in to, just like in the anime!

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 24, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And why are you not telling us which Gunpla they made? :colbert:

The details are important, you know!

edit: Oh my god, Bandai are insane and I love it. :allears:.

It looked like they were gonna build Gogg, Acguy and Dom because that's what the celebrities most resembled, but instead they made kits from Build Divers for obvious reasons.

Dom made AGE II Magnum, Gogg made Seravee Sheherazade and Acguy made Momokapool but they had her switch the arms for Grimoire Red Beret's so they could show off the ~customization~ aspect. They also had them play around with Gundam markers, the results were predictably awful.

They did also show off that 3D scanning thing but it's fairly underwhelming at the current stage. It's pretty much just a standard 3D scanning setup with a minigame based on preset movement parameters, as no matter what you scan they all act basically the same. Nothing an engineering student couldn't whip up in their spare time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

They did also show off that 3D scanning thing but it's fairly underwhelming at the current stage. It's pretty much just a standard 3D scanning setup with a minigame based on preset movement parameters, as no matter what you scan they all act basically the same. Nothing an engineering student couldn't whip up in their spare time.

Proof-of-concept with the company that own the property, at a major event, tends to go a lot further long-term than "check out this neat thing I did once" with a random student though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Proof-of-concept with the company that own the property, at a major event, tends to go a lot further long-term than "check out this neat thing I did once" with a random student though.

They got one year to make the Gundam walk, let's see them do that before we get excited for them making Build Fighters real.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

They got one year to make the Gundam walk, let's see them do that before we get excited for them making Build Fighters real.

I'd honestly put more stock in object-recognition cameras (a tech that already works) than a working Gundam tbh.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a good sound to kick off an episode

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So Sara is a Gunpla?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
For someone whose only real personality so far is being a walking Gundam wiki. It sure is strange to see him talk about personal growth and strength, then pick up a Jegan.

Also that bird is a flying mullet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This second cour's been far better than the first, and what the show should've been like from the start. I really appreciated fiery fungoes and the return of Gunpla Baseball too :allears:. Give us the Baseball 0 Gundam, Bandai! Or at least the cap as an HGBC thing!

Guy Goodbody posted:

So Sara is a Gunpla?

My take was the mission just gives you something to do if you don't have a Gunpla of your own and you're tagging along with a friend. Or even deliberately trying it sans-Gunpla.

The mission erroring out trying to mirror Sarah was still far more interesting than just Break Decal effects too.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

That was a pretty good episode. I've always suspected it but it turns out this show really is better without Riku in it. And incidentally Sara is a much more likeable character when she actually does things.

It's just a shame it took 17 episodes to get this far, and with less than 10 episodes left I'm increasingly doubtful that we'll ever get to see the kickass 10v10 battles the Prologue specifically promised. I mean really, what happened to all that, we've still only seen two and a half regular force battles. As a whole, I hate this show so very much. #tsukasadidnothingwrong

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I really enjoyed the "WTF" shared side glances when Yuki was talking about wanting to be more like Riku.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SpikeMcclane posted:

I really enjoyed the "WTF" shared side glances when Yuki was talking about wanting to be more like Riku.

:fap: hnngh gotta make sure the audience knows how great Riku is huhhh :fap:

Tubby unicorn fuckboy is still a fuckboy and Yuki can join him. I halfway expect his Jegan will disassemble itself to become addon parts for Riku's mech next episode so he can go full Fumina (never go full Fumina).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

:fap: hnngh gotta make sure the audience knows how great Riku is huhhh :fap:

Tubby unicorn fuckboy is still a fuckboy and Yuki can join him. I halfway expect his Jegan will disassemble itself to become addon parts for Riku's mech next episode so he can go full Fumina (never go full Fumina).

Even Fumina stepped back from full Fumina. But then, it's easier to do that if you have something resembling characterization before you're shoved into the cheering section. Yuki does not have that advantage.

(Trivia note: Fumina was the only character from Try to make the top 100 Gundam character poll, falling somewhere between Sei and Reiji. )

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

(Trivia note: Fumina was the only character from Try to make the top 100 Gundam character poll, falling somewhere between Sei and Reiji. )

Let's not pretend that it was because of her characterization on the show.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Let's not pretend that it was because of her characterization on the show.

I considered suggesting there were two obvious reasons, but I thought this thread had too much class for that kind of line.

I mean, I don't know why I thought that, but here we are.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

From a character standpoint, Fumina being the one super into Gundam and dragging Sekai into it so much so that he became a fan as well (from as far as we can tell he at least watched enough to sing "Anime ja nai" in the car) was really cool. Gyanko as well seemed to be really into at the very least Gunpla and not just the products focused at the female audience like Bearguys and such. (Is there any gender focus on SD stuff in terms of marketing?)

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
You could even argue that her gunpla evolves with a character arc. A decent one even. Which is more than anyone has in the rest of Try or Build.

Also wanna know where those three placed on the top 100 list. Cause I'm thinking Sei and Reji are less than five apart, but Reji probably placed decently high. Yet I don't expect fumina to make it past 90. It's a real thought puzzle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

You could even argue that her gunpla evolves with a character arc. A decent one even. Which is more than anyone has in the rest of Try or Build.

Not when she starts with a competently-built machine, well-balanced for close and long range combat, and regresses to spare parts for Sekai.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sazabi posted:

Also wanna know where those three placed on the top 100 list. Cause I'm thinking Sei and Reji are less than five apart, but Reji probably placed decently high. Yet I don't expect fumina to make it past 90. It's a real thought puzzle.

Sei at 70, Fumina at 72 (Dozle is right between them, for a scaling reference), and Reiji's at 78.

As for their shows, Build Fighters is between X and F91 in the popularity rankings, which isn't at the top, but it clearly has some fans. Meanwhile, Try is less popular than SD Gundam Force.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sazabi posted:

Reiji was #78, Fumina #72 and Sei #70.

https://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/gundam/ranking/

e;fb :argh:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lurking Haro posted:

Reiji was #78, Fumina #72 and Sei #70.

https://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/gundam/ranking/

e;fb :argh:

SEED is at #3 :psyduck:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Char at #1
Amuro at #2
Orga at #3!?

I would not have guessed anyone from IBO anywhere near that high.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Potsticker posted:

SEED is at #3 :psyduck:

Gundam SEED was the entrypoint into the franchise for a lot of people, it's largely harmless and has some good mech designs. Destiny is where it all goes to poo poo.

chiasaur11 posted:

As for their shows, Build Fighters is between X and F91 in the popularity rankings, which isn't at the top, but it clearly has some fans. Meanwhile, Try is less popular than SD Gundam Force.

Goddamn. I was half-wondering if that'd be one of those liked-in-Japan-reviled-elsewhere things, but nope it seems they hated it too.

Good. :colbert:.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Well that's certainly a list with surprising results. Sleggar and Mu being next to each other is nice to see. AGE being on the list and even ahead of other shows is not.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I just find it odd because I feel like at least the circles I run into SEED is pretty universally reviled as a show. As a result I haven't watched it myself, but maybe it's just Destiny that soured people as you say? At least with something like 00 I know while I didn't like it I see a lot of fans. This is super fun to look through and is full of surprises all over the place. IBO at #6, G @8 and W @9.

Also near the bottom of the list along with Try is G-Reco which kind of surprises me since while I had complaints I thought it had it's fans (and like you mentioned with SEED, I feel like regardless of show quality had some great designs, even if the gunpla kits themselves were not always of great quality), and AGE. Thunderbolt is down there too which I'm currently watching and so far it's been pretty good, but it is a very heavy show and hard to watch more than one episode at a time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Char at #1
Amuro at #2
Orga at #3!?

I would not have guessed anyone from IBO anywhere near that high.

IBO did pretty well, but Orga only got so high because a certain scene of his became a massively popular meme in Japan.

As for show versus character voting, it's relevant how people voted. You were allowed multiple character votes, but one for a show. So if your favorite was Char, but you thought Sochie had a great arc, you could vote for them both, boosting supporting characters. Meanwhile, your show had to be your number one pick, so something short like Thunderbolt had worse odds.

(You can also click on the names of the top ten shows to get demographic breakdowns. A lot of women voted for IBO, for example, second only to Wing.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 1, 2018

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

IBO did pretty well, but Orga only got so high because a certain scene of his became a massively popular meme in Japan.

Meme's don't always translate to actual popularity though. In this case it seems splitting up the various versions of Char and Amuro by series Orga himself got enough votes to be #1.

chiasaur11 posted:

As for show versus character voting, it's relevant how people voted. You were allowed multiple character votes, but one for a show. So if your favorite was Char, but you thought Sochie had a great arc, you could vote for them both, boosting supporting characters. Meanwhile, your show had to be your number one pick, so something short like Thunderbolt had worse odds.
Ah, okay, that does make a lot of sense.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Which scene?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which scene?

Massive spoilers for IBO season 2:

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Potsticker posted:

I just find it odd because I feel like at least the circles I run into SEED is pretty universally reviled as a show. As a result I haven't watched it myself, but maybe it's just Destiny that soured people as you say? At least with something like 00 I know while I didn't like it I see a lot of fans. This is super fun to look through and is full of surprises all over the place. IBO at #6, G @8 and W @9.

Also near the bottom of the list along with Try is G-Reco which kind of surprises me since while I had complaints I thought it had it's fans (and like you mentioned with SEED, I feel like regardless of show quality had some great designs, even if the gunpla kits themselves were not always of great quality), and AGE. Thunderbolt is down there too which I'm currently watching and so far it's been pretty good, but it is a very heavy show and hard to watch more than one episode at a time.

Think of SEED as to Japan, what Wing was to the west. An introduction to many fans who for one reason or another didn't watch any prior series. So a not good but not awful show with recycled animation, poorly written characters, and awkward handling of war. Grts remembered fondly thanks to it's good points like great mechanical designs, liked side characters, and nice homages to the UC timeline.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

(You can also click on the names of the top ten shows to get demographic breakdowns. A lot of women voted for IBO, for example, second only to Wing.)

They also voted SEED pretty highly as well. Maybe I should watch SEED?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Meme's don't always translate to actual popularity though. In this case it seems splitting up the various versions of Char and Amuro by series Orga himself got enough votes to be #1.

Ah, okay, that does make a lot of sense.

True enough, but it was definitely a factor. They also announced a few of the top vote getters at the halfway point, which further helped Orga. It meant anyone who wanted an IBO character in the top spots had a name to rally around.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

They also announced a few of the top vote getters at the halfway point,

:psyduck:

Okay, now doing that is just asking for meme/popularity votes to pile up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not when she starts with a competently-built machine, well-balanced for close and long range combat, and regresses to spare parts for Sekai.

That's the arc though. She starts off with a well-balanced machine that can do a bunch of stuff because she's fighting alone. Then she gets teammmates and is so happy she just focuses on keeping them and making them better, so she switches to a self-sacrificing pure support Gunpla. Eventually she realizes that she shouldn't do that and makes a new Gunpla. It still explodes into parts like the previous one, but instead of making her teammates stronger they make make her stronger.

That is a full character arc. That's a story told in Gunpla. It's the most well-constructed part of Try. The real problem is that her arc in Gunpla isn't reflected at all outside of Gunpla.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Massive spoilers for IBO season 2:

I can see the resemblance.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
According to a tv poll I just read, this is the lowest viewed gundam show ever made. How is that possible, considering the original series got cancelled due to exactly the same reason.
Also please, bandai executive board committee, "standard shonen protagonist who-always-wins" means there're no stakes, which means I don't care and neither do the little kids audience you were supposed to be targetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ka0 posted:

According to a tv poll I just read, this is the lowest viewed gundam show ever made. How is that possible, considering the original series got cancelled due to exactly the same reason.

because when MSG aired there were three TV channels and two video games and no internet. Now there's lots of TV channels and tons of video games and the internet and cell phones, everybody's fighting for much smaller pieces of the pie

• Locked thread