Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Talking about Wolverine's claws, one cover I hate and love at the same time is the Larsen Hulk cover where Hulk is reflected in Logan's claws. I love it because it is such a cool image and hate it because it means his claws have to have a width of about a foot each.
I'm phone posting so can't really post the pic but I'm sure everyone knows which cover I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pretty sure you mean the McFarlane cover there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Pretty sure you mean the McFarlane cover there.

I have been living a lie

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jason Aaron's Wolverine is very good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And the Barry Windsor Smith Weapon X.

Wolverine also does well with random one shot stories.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Conversely, who do you think is overrated? I'd say both Romita's, Starlin, Ditko, Mazzucchelli, Sal Buscema, Carmine Infantino and Curt Swan off the top of my head. I like some of their stuff and they're certainly all GOOD but I never thought they were legendary.

Just throwing some poo poo out there.

poo poo indeed. I'm re-reading the Marvel partwork and just got to Daredevil: Born Again. Artwork's great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is from Sonic the Comic #129. The context is that Robotnik has used the Chaos emeralds to become all-powerful and transported Sonic 70 years into the future where he's old and infirm:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sonic the Comic had some absolutely gorgeous art. Some awful art too, but a lot of great stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Android Blues posted:

Sonic the Comic had some absolutely gorgeous art. Some awful art too, but a lot of great stuff.

It did indeed, but I've only just realised I posted these in the wrong thread because I'm very careless. I meant them for the funny panels thread. :cripes:

(I would have made other choices if I was going to post STC art I liked or disliked.)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Was poking around a little and ran across an artist named "Jock" who's done some really cool covers. I'd never heard of him

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b5/f8/c5/b5f8c52299b77349c67b83bae6185e5f.jpg

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Was poking around a little and ran across an artist named "Jock" who's done some really cool covers. I'd never heard of him

Jock is incredible. He's Scottish, and I believe his real name is Mark Simpson. I met him at MegaCon earlier this year and got him to sign my five TPBs of The Losers, the Vertigo "action movie on paper" series he drew with writer Andy Diggle. It was adapted into a very decent action movie starring Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Idris Elba, Zoe Saldana, Chris Evans, and Jason Patric (slightly before most of them blew up), but it came out the same summer as The A-Team and The Expendables, so it bombed. The comic was really good, though.

His covers are really something special, though. I think he was charging people a little extra to sign that iconic Detective Comics cover with the Joker made of bats. He drew a special cover for Action Comics #1000 that was exclusive to London's Forbidden Planet store, but I would have chosen it over all the covers that were released in the U.S.. Someone brought it to the signing, and I was jealous, it was so nice.

Oh, and he was hired to do concept art for The Last Jedi, including Luke in his robes. My buddy brought him the Last Jedi oversized art book to sign, and he was pretty surprised anyone realized he worked on the movie, so he got chatty and said he didn't even know some of his designs got used until he saw the film in theaters. Very cool, nice guy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

He did the interiors to that run too. Check out the 'Dark Mirror' trade.

Also 'Wytches'.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Jock is incredible. He's Scottish, and I believe his real name is Mark Simpson. I met him at MegaCon earlier this year and got him to sign my five TPBs of The Losers, the Vertigo "action movie on paper" series he drew with writer Andy Diggle. It was adapted into a very decent action movie starring Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Idris Elba, Zoe Saldana, Chris Evans, and Jason Patric (slightly before most of them blew up), but it came out the same summer as The A-Team and The Expendables, so it bombed. The comic was really good, though.

His covers are really something special, though. I think he was charging people a little extra to sign that iconic Detective Comics cover with the Joker made of bats. He drew a special cover for Action Comics #1000 that was exclusive to London's Forbidden Planet store, but I would have chosen it over all the covers that were released in the U.S.. Someone brought it to the signing, and I was jealous, it was so nice.

Oh, and he was hired to do concept art for The Last Jedi, including Luke in his robes. My buddy brought him the Last Jedi oversized art book to sign, and he was pretty surprised anyone realized he worked on the movie, so he got chatty and said he didn't even know some of his designs got used until he saw the film in theaters. Very cool, nice guy.

Related: Chris Evans is so goddamned good in that flick. .

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Related: Chris Evans is so goddamned good in that flick. .

The best. I never saw the Fantastic Four movies (never been an FF fan), but The Losers was when I knew Evans was going to be a mega-star, and well-deserving of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The best. I never saw the Fantastic Four movies (never been an FF fan), but The Losers was when I knew Evans was going to be a mega-star, and well-deserving of it.

Definitely saw the potential. It was cemented by Sunshine and Scott Pilgrim.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

BiggerBoat posted:

Ross has a way of making these characters iconic and dynamic that I still love but action is not his thing.

I think what Ross does really well are scenes of pure awe and scenes of quiet emotion, which feel like two ends of a spectrum. But what I remember most from Ross is the look of pure joy on Gwen Stacy's face in Marvels when Namor's process walks through the streets of New York, or the scene where Phil looks away during that moment in the fight with Green Goblin. And in Kingdom Come, basically any panel where it shows the Justice League arriving on a scene. Not necessarily like, doing anything, but just arriving, has this "the gods have stepped down from Olympus" feel to it that gives appropriate weight to Superman coming into the scene.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jock also did the concept art for Dredd.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He also drew Green Arrow Year One and it's flippin gorgeous.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Here is the Hulk cover i was talking about. Look at those claws. How wide are they?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I hate the lawnmower blade claws Wolverine wound up with. I've always liked the John Byrne ones. :colbert:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Madkal posted:

Here is the Hulk cover i was talking about. Look at those claws. How wide are they?

God hat sucks. Not just the knife blade claws either. Whole drawing blows. Yuck.

Dick Trauma posted:

I hate the lawnmower blade claws Wolverine wound up with. I've always liked the John Byrne ones. :colbert:

MUCH better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

God hat sucks. Not just the knife blade claws either. Whole drawing blows. Yuck.

Peter David claims that this cover is the one piece of Todd McFarlane art he owns, and only because McFarlane gave it to him as a gift.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Those are bad. They look like they can't cut through anything and are only good for poking. Plus with the curve they shouldn't be able to retract!

Jim Lee's claws are a good combo of the two.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Codependent Poster posted:

Plus with the curve they shouldn't be able to retract!

Sure, but once you go down that rabbit hole, you start asking how Wolverine can even bend his wrists.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Codependent Poster posted:

Those are bad. They look like they can't cut through anything and are only good for poking. Plus with the curve they shouldn't be able to retract!

Jim Lee's claws are a good combo of the two.

Those are not bad.

What I liked about the Byrne claws is that they were slender and a little hooked and yet could indeed cut through most everything. That made them seem cooler to my teenaged self than the chunky later versions.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's why they're meant to be shorter than his forearm.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

roffels posted:

Sure, but once you go down that rabbit hole, you start asking how Wolverine can even bend his wrists.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RandallODim posted:

It's seriously the Patch origin? I need to read this even more.

IIRC it got jokingly retconned to everyone knew that it was Wolverine the entire time but nobody was willing to call him on it because they didn't want to be stabbed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wasn't there a plot point in like New Avengers or something about how Patch was the only person who managed to keep Madripoor somewhat stable but no one could find him?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
TEETH!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Those claws are so long he wouldn't be able to bend his elbows!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Aside from Wolvering slicing his lips off, what's the go with the Mazinger Z headpod design?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I love Gary Busey Wolverine :allears:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

PenguinKnight posted:

I love Gary Busey Wolverine :allears:

Now I want an I'm With Busey comic featuring Wolverine and Jubilee or who ever Wolverine's teen sidekick will be.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Absolutely horrifying.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

prefect posted:

This is the way I like to see Wolverine's claws. Some artists draw them more like spikes, which is lame. This kicks rear end. :black101:

Wait how do those forearms work?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Claw Dimension.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So has he always been able to do this, or is this a 'whoops I hosed up' teaching moment about sharp objects?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Infinitum posted:

So has he always been able to do this, or is this a 'whoops I hosed up' teaching moment about sharp objects?

The thing I wonder is, if he pops his claws with his wrists bent all the way forward, will they shoot out entirely from his body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Asking questions like that is how you get official handbooks of the marvel universe.