Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Big thanks to CPL593H for making me aware that Joyful Noise is doing a dope VIP package of Tropical gently caress Storm's A Laughing Death In Meatspace. 25 bucks, and that includes the monthly 5 dollar membership that you can cancel immediately afterward.

https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/collections/tropical-gently caress-storm/products/a-laughing-death-in-meatspace

It's good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eBnMYjYWYE

This is super good, hadn't heard of them before. Thanks!

e: less than 10 left if anyone else is on the fence

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Enos Cabell posted:

This is super good, hadn't heard of them before. Thanks!

e: less than 10 left if anyone else is on the fence

You really should check out The Drones, Gareth Liddiard's other band. Their last album was great (well, they all are)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OkgaCRII7I

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The next couple of records I知 actively seeking out are Bill Withers - Still Bill and Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night.

Either way, what are some stores I should check out in Philly? I知 headed there for a couple weeks on Sunday.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

put both hands in posted:

You really should check out The Drones, Gareth Liddiard's other band. Their last album was great (well, they all are)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OkgaCRII7I

Hell yeah, this is great!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

boop the snoot posted:

The next couple of records I知 actively seeking out are Bill Withers - Still Bill and Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night.

Either way, what are some stores I should check out in Philly? I知 headed there for a couple weeks on Sunday.

Long In The Tooth, Repo, AKA

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
A friend I have made through record digging told me about a dig he had last weekend and I had to share it. He found out about this collector through a friend and said the dude's house is just completely filled with records, and most are minty or sealed. My buddy estimated that the guy must have over 100,000 records in his house and he barely scratched the surface of them. On this dig, he met a couple other collectors, one of whom happened to be Frank Delgado from the Deftones! He said Frank was a really cool guy to dig with and talk about music.

He is going to ask his crew if he can bring me next time, which would be incredible. That is the kind of record digging that I need to get into.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
That's really cool. I feel like that's one of the last ways to find burried treasure anymore. I used to walk into a Savers and come out with stacks of great stuff, but everything I find now is literally thrift store garbage.

On a similar note, I'm heading up to New England for a long weekend, spending a few days in Boston and then making my way up to Portland, ME. Any locals itt have any recommendations? Other than In Your Ear in Boston, I have no idea what's in the area in anymore.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
This is probably a dumb question but I am trying to mark the quality of my records as I catalog them on discogs, and wasn't sure about something. On this Aretha Franklin record, and a couple others, there is very little surface noise, but when the vocals get particularly loud, I can hear what I believe to be vocal distortion. It can sound harsh at some points if the volume is up. I wasn't sure if this was an issue with the recording, or if it was a result of wear and tear on the record and would affect the condition.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

bigman.50grand posted:

That's really cool. I feel like that's one of the last ways to find burried treasure anymore. I used to walk into a Savers and come out with stacks of great stuff, but everything I find now is literally thrift store garbage.

On a similar note, I'm heading up to New England for a long weekend, spending a few days in Boston and then making my way up to Portland, ME. Any locals itt have any recommendations? Other than In Your Ear in Boston, I have no idea what's in the area in anymore.

If you're in Harvard Square check out The Armageddon Shop.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

bigman.50grand posted:

Lucky duck, Savers closed their locations in my city and the next city over. Miss that place.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Tape 👏

Will 👏

Never 👏

Die 👏

a little disappointed that it took sounds of the dawn a month to ship these and then no extras but whatever, good contemporary new age/ambient

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
If it痴 literally just those points and the rest of it sounds fine then it痴 very likely the recording/mixing/mastering and not the condition of the disc or pressing

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Banano posted:

If it痴 literally just those points and the rest of it sounds fine then it痴 very likely the recording/mixing/mastering and not the condition of the disc or pressing

Thanks! Yah the more quiet parts have no crackling or surface noise, but when the vocals peak, it gets harsh.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MrSargent posted:

Thanks! Yah the more quiet parts have no crackling or surface noise, but when the vocals peak, it gets harsh.

It could be Lyme disease. Have you been in the woods in the past 7 months?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

MrSargent posted:

Could possibly be your playback setup too. Not going to try and speculate what it might be - lovely preamp or incorrect tracking force or ?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It's sibilance, and your cartridge/stylus it quite up to it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Boinks posted:

It's sibilance, and your cartridge/stylus it quite up to it.

I had to replace my stylus in a pinch and picked up the Ortofon S-120. It was only $110, so I know it's not a high-quality one but I have been happy with it. I was planning on upgrading to a better stylus, but this set me back a bit on that.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Mike_V posted:

Tape 👏

Will 👏

Never 👏

Die 👏

a little disappointed that it took sounds of the dawn a month to ship these and then no extras but whatever, good contemporary new age/ambient

You and I may be alone here, but I still have a brotherly Ferric/Chromium bond with you.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Tropical gently caress Storm痴 special edition is already sold out, which is probably good because I was about 70% of the way to talking myself into spending $30.85 that I absolutely do not have to spare

(:smith:)

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Uncle Kitchener posted:

You and I may be alone here, but I still have a brotherly Ferric/Chromium bond with you.

They just keep putting out albums i was ready to buy on digital for only a couple bucks more for a cassette so my collection is growing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I have one tape-only Golden Boots album, a couple Gay Cum Daddies albums, a two-tape compilation from Folk Tale Records, and a couple oddballs my buddy gifted to me. And a bunch of old stuff from my teen years that痴 sitting in boxes somewhere

Still no way to play them, of course. Thankfully most of them came with digital downloads

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I only ever recall seeing those big tape boxes for computer games, neat to see some for music. I remember the style where they壇 put one tape behind the other to make it double thickness too. I think The Roots of Sepultura used that, my copy I dubbed from CD did at least...

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Thank you. There's really no reason to not just buy the tape because, like SeXReX says, they're usually only a couple dollars more than the digital version and come with the MP3s/WAVs/FLACs/AIFFs/whatever anyways.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Thank you. There's really no reason to not just buy the tape because, like SeXReX says, they're usually only a couple dollars more than the digital version and come with the MP3s/WAVs/FLACs/AIFFs/whatever anyways.

With the recent GOOD Music releases, I did this same exact thing with the vinyl releases. They were only a few bucks more than the digital and came with downloads of the mp3s.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

oh poo poo, mang.

quote:

The Vinyl Thread - Bring a gas mask

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 3, 2018

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

SeXReX posted:

They just keep putting out albums i was ready to buy on digital for only a couple bucks more for a cassette so my collection is growing.

Heyyeah :hifive:

Mike_V posted:

Hell yeah :hifive:, I love making my own mixtapes from my records. I got a lot of sealed chrome and metal tapes too, but I'd rather keep those for when I want to record my special records or digital FLACs.

pwn posted:

I have one tape-only Golden Boots album, a couple Gay Cum Daddies albums, a two-tape compilation from Folk Tale Records, and a couple oddballs my buddy gifted to me. And a bunch of old stuff from my teen years that痴 sitting in boxes somewhere

Still no way to play them, of course. Thankfully most of them came with digital downloads

Any of the 90s Walkmen range can play all types of tapes, so got for those. I got a bunch and they're all really reliable. Pretty much the only thing I put on when driving.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

If I hadn't gotten laid off yesterday, I never would have found this gem at the thrift store today.

Sometimes things just work out for the best.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

If I hadn't gotten laid off yesterday, I never would have found this gem at the thrift store today.

Condolences sir. But also congrats on the sweet find. I went over to Guitar Center to get a sustain pedal for my keyboard and a power conditioner and ended up stopping by the Goodwill just to see if they had anything. More Streisand, Newton-John, and Herb Alpert hooray!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Dang i only have the 45 with the main theme and the cantina.

Is this the one with their version of close encounters? Cause that track slaps

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

SeXReX posted:

Dang i only have the 45 with the main theme and the cantina.

Is this the one with their version of close encounters? Cause that track slaps

I'm not well versed enough with close encounters to know it when I hear it, but the track listing is printed on the back.

MrSargent posted:

Condolences sir. But also congrats on the sweet find. I went over to Guitar Center to get a sustain pedal for my keyboard and a power conditioner and ended up stopping by the Goodwill just to see if they had anything. More Streisand, Newton-John, and Herb Alpert hooray!

I was already hitting up recruiters earlier in the week. The founder's daughter took over day to day operations of the business 8 months ago and has been tanking the company at a remarkable clip. At least this way I got severance.

What kills a 35 year old multimillion dollar company the fastest? Nepotism, that's what!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Suzanne Ciani represent! :rock:

pwn
May 27, 2004

MUSIC INSPIRED BY
STAR
WARS

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

pwn posted:

MUSIC INSPIRED BY
STAR
WARS

...I don't own this :negative:

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

...I don't own this :negative:
Thank you for reminding me that I have to get me some Negativland at some point in the future.

As for today, I also thank you for alerting me to this gem, which arrived fresh from Essex today:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm the garbage bins in the top right

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Those labels lazy as heck.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
As an Australian it's my patriotic duty to reinforce the earlier statement that everyone should listen to not only Tropical gently caress Storm but also The Drones.

pwn
May 27, 2004

UPDATE

pwn posted:

Tropical gently caress Storm痴 special edition is already sold out, which is probably good because I was about 70% of the way to talking myself into spending $30.85 that I absolutely do not have to spare

(:smith:)
And yet, this morning, it was still sitting in my cart, and I was able to purchase it... despite it having been sold out for two days. :shrug: I know they reserve extras of their limited editions for replacing damaged copies, so I will probably get it. Looks like I got lucky. We値l see around Halloween

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I, Butthole posted:

As an Australian it's my patriotic duty to reinforce the earlier statement that everyone should listen to not only Tropical gently caress Storm but also The Drones.

I would if your country didn't insist on being far away from the entire rest of the world. Even getting some Drones albums is outrageously expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
are there any vinyl me please members here who can do me a favour and buy me a copy of this?

https://app.vinylmeplease.com/products/new-this-month/phantastic-ferniture-phantastic-ferniture

please :pray: