Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1021758901920784385

so after that show was cancelled, all simmons has done for hbo afaik is that andre documentary and a recent one-time nba finals special

A special that ran like a month and a half after the finals ended, at that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
They are going to try to give his show another go too if I recall correctly.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

BWV posted:

i wonder how HBO's investment in The Ringer fits into this. And seeing how half The Ringer content is about HBO products it's probably all some executive's SYNERGY dream

I figure it plays a big role.

Also the NBA Finals thing was really good. They just picked the absolute worst Finals to do it with.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

My dad is greg cote

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Good Karma Brands, who owns ESPN Radio Milwaukee, is buying out WTMJ-AM (and WKTI).. WTMJ-AM is the flagship radio station for the Wisconsin professional sports, including the Packers.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Zack Strief is now the Saints' radio play-by-play announcer. He has no broadcasting experience. He beat out Joel Meyers (does everything, is great), Sean Kelley (does a lot, also great), and Mike Hoss (not familiar but has some experience).

The reception of the news has been mixed with people hoping Strief does a good job, but annoyed he was picked over multiple people far more qualified and proven than him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kibner posted:

Zack Strief is now the Saints' radio play-by-play announcer. He has no broadcasting experience. He beat out Joel Meyers (does everything, is great), Sean Kelley (does a lot, also great), and Mike Hoss (not familiar but has some experience).

The reception of the news has been mixed with people hoping Strief does a good job, but annoyed he was picked over multiple people far more qualified and proven than him.

strief is automatically a member of the sports media as a northwestern graduate

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

R.D. Mangles posted:

strief is automatically a member of the sports media as a northwestern graduate

I love you

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
B/R Live has revealed pricing, if anyone’s interested.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

B/R Live has revealed pricing, if anyone’s interested.

https://twitter.com/TurnerSportsPR/status/1024301156355330050

$3 a game, $10 a month, $80 a year

that's a big ratio of games on this service to games on tv

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Am I reading that wrong, or are they really loving over people who actually still have traditional TV

Because before it was like, a game on FS1 and FS2 and you only really had to pay extra if your big club was playing the group minnow that week

Now it's one game only and the entire loving Europa League is off TV entirely? Yeah I'm sure you'll be flooded with subscriptions from masochistic Arsenal and Tottenham fans

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Am I reading that wrong, or are they really loving over people who actually still have traditional TV

Because before it was like, a game on FS1 and FS2 and you only really had to pay extra if your big club was playing the group minnow that week

Now it's one game only and the entire loving Europa League is off TV entirely? Yeah I'm sure you'll be flooded with subscriptions from masochistic Arsenal and Tottenham fans

came across this

https://twitter.com/RyanRosenblatt/status/1024354577779286016
https://twitter.com/RyanRosenblatt/status/1024354974677884929

:capitalism:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

ElwoodCuse posted:

It used to be FS1, FS2, your local Fox Sports network, Multimatch 90' on Fox Soccer Plus, and the weekly game on Facebook. Also, Fox Soccer Match Pass, the OTT service, had the same characteristics of B/R Live's coverage, except it also has every non-FIFA World Cup soccer match Fox has the rights to, including every Bundesliga match.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

According to World Soccer Talk, the Fox Sports family averaged 146 Champions League games televised per season. TNT will air 46.

For Europa league, the FS channels aired 205 games to TNT’s one game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I'm being pedantic (On the Internet?!) but $540 gives you more than just soccer games. That's like saying they are charging $600 for Comedy Central in my city because the cheapest cable packaged that includes it is $50.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lockback posted:

I'm being pedantic (On the Internet?!) but $540 gives you more than just soccer games. That's like saying they are charging $600 for Comedy Central in my city because the cheapest cable packaged that includes it is $50.

Yes but that’s the point isn’t it? That’s what’s wrong with content delivery. I can’t just pay for what I want at a reasonable price, I have to buy a ton of poo poo I don’t want and then be lectured to by the cable companies and people that buy into their bullshit about how much value I’m getting for my money.

Like if I want to go buy a box of Rice Krispies for $3 and I go to the store and all they have are giant boxes with 30 different kinds of cereals I don’t want for $40, that’s not a value for me because I don’t want the other 29 cereals.

But hell at least in that lovely example I gave I could sell the cereal to recoup some costs.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
The 47 games on TNT seems to work out like this.

1 UEFA Super Cup
4 matches for the Champions League Playoff Round
24 matches for the group stage (2 matches a day since the group stage will now have 2 timeslot a day x 2 days x 6 matchdays)
8 matches for the round of 16
4 matches for the quarterfinal
4 matches for the semifinals
1 match for the Europa League Final
1 match for the Champions League final

You may be able to save $10 to $20 pending on how monthly subscription work (whether it is start of month or when you subscribe) on and skipping January, June, and maybe December and May.

So assuming monthly subscription is based on the time of when you subscribe...

- September 15th to December 13th (3 months = $30)
- Feburary 12th to May 9th (3 months = $30)
- watch the final on TNT

That would lead to it being $60.

The other more cost effective way would be to watch it in Spanish through Univision's family of networks.

psyer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 1, 2018

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

According to World Soccer Talk, the Fox Sports family averaged 146 Champions League games televised per season. TNT will air 46.

For Europa league, the FS channels aired 205 games to TNT’s one game.

Yeah this is a complete load of poo poo. I'm not paying them a loving dime to stream games

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mahoning posted:

Yes but that’s the point isn’t it? That’s what’s wrong with content delivery. I can’t just pay for what I want at a reasonable price, I have to buy a ton of poo poo I don’t want and then be lectured to by the cable companies and people that buy into their bullshit about how much value I’m getting for my money.

Like if I want to go buy a box of Rice Krispies for $3 and I go to the store and all they have are giant boxes with 30 different kinds of cereals I don’t want for $40, that’s not a value for me because I don’t want the other 29 cereals.

But hell at least in that lovely example I gave I could sell the cereal to recoup some costs.

Yes, but if you're a fan of, say, Manchester United, we're going to the point where Rice Krispies are sold at a different store than the milk, which is being sold at a different store than the bowl, which is being sold at a different store than the spoon.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Yes, but if you're a fan of, say, Manchester United, we're going to the point where Rice Krispies are sold at a different store than the milk, which is being sold at a different store than the bowl, which is being sold at a different store than the spoon.

I mean come on, 10 years ago you’d be lucky to see 5 live Man U games in the US even with an expensive cable package. What we have isn’t perfect and won’t be until you can say “I’m a Man U fan and I’d like to pay one price to be able to watch every single Man U game”.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

It was literally better two years ago

Now NBC and Turner are splitting things up and ripping you off

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I remember when Sunderland AFC got relegated from the Premier League, I said to myself "well that sucks, but at least I won't have to pay for the Premier League Pass and can just watch all the EFL games on beIN Sports Connect!"

Then iFollow happened :negative:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/bhofheimer_espn/status/1024628842835726336

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
what a lineup

quote:

Tue, Aug 8 Midnight “Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story” ESPN8
2 a.m. SkyZone Ultimate Dodgeball Championship ESPN8
3 a.m. US Open Ultimate Championships ESPN8
4 a.m. Spikeball East Tour Series ESPN8
5 a.m. Cornhole: ACL Pro Invitational ESPN8
6 a.m. 2006 Johnsonville Brat Eating World Championship ESPN8
6:30 a.m. 2006 Krystal World Hamburger Eating Championship ESPN8
7 a.m. World Championship of Ping Pong ESPN8
8 a.m. Fenway Hurling Classic ESPN8
9 a.m. Amazing Games: Spain ESPN8
9:30 a.m. Amazing Games: Korea ESPN8
10 a.m. Premier League Darts ESPN8
11 a.m. E:60 on ESPN8 ESPN8
Noon SportsCenter on ESPN8 ESPN8
12:30 p.m. Amazing Games: England ESPN8
1 p.m. Kabaddi ESPN8
2 p.m. The Saber Legion 2018: Awakening ESPN8
3 p.m. World Sumo Challenge ESPN8
4 p.m. Women’s Flat Track Derby ESPN8
5 p.m. Best of Chess Boxing ESPN8
6 p.m. Moxie Games ESPN8
8 p.m. 2018 Dodgeball World Cup ESPN8
10 p.m. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story ESPN8

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGJ8OiqRhO4

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ping-pong is one of those "That's an Olympic sport?" sports...

And then you watch them play and you're all "Holy poo poo those reflexes".

This is great.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The only 2 I didn't know were Moxie (juggling I guess) and Saber ("is it light sabers from star wa---oh my god it is"), I am gonna watch the hell out of all that.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/status/1024703995926007808

the home of la liga in the us

a bad week for soccer broadcasting

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

they have 2 more weeks until La Liga and Serie A start, they will settle before then

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So, I saw a Tony Bruno Tweet in the wild today and decided to look him up since I remember listening to him on ESPN Radio as a kid back in the day.

Two of his ten most recent Tweets were him sharing stuff from InfoWars, so it's good to know he's aged well.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

So, I saw a Tony Bruno Tweet in the wild today and decided to look him up since I remember listening to him on ESPN Radio as a kid back in the day.

Two of his ten most recent Tweets were him sharing stuff from InfoWars, so it's good to know he's aged well.

No one older than 50 should be allowed on the internet

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The only thing I remember about Tony Bruno was that he was in like Madden or something years ago.

MourningView posted:

No one older than 50 should be allowed on the internet

Also this.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

they have 2 more weeks until La Liga and Serie A start, they will settle before then

Serie A rights expired for BeIN Sport last season. Right now Serie A still has no TV rights holder. There are rumors that ESPN and Turner are interested in those rights. It is also rumored that IMG is trying to package Serie A and FA Cups rights together as no one seems to be wanting to pay for the FA Cup rights for the price it is asking.

The Community Shield, which is this Sunday, will not be airing in the US at this moment due to the FA Cup rights not being sold yet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Niwrad posted:

The only thing I remember about Tony Bruno was that he was in like Madden or something years ago.

Also this.

Yeah you'd hear him in Franchise mode in Madden 06. I've never heard him in any other context. You could've told me he was fictitious.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

psyer posted:

Serie A rights expired for BeIN Sport last season. Right now Serie A still has no TV rights holder. There are rumors that ESPN and Turner are interested in those rights. It is also rumored that IMG is trying to package Serie A and FA Cups rights together as no one seems to be wanting to pay for the FA Cup rights for the price it is asking.

The Community Shield, which is this Sunday, will not be airing in the US at this moment due to the FA Cup rights not being sold yet.

christ I'm gonna have to go to r/streams to watch Ronaldo's first game? god dammit

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

ElwoodCuse posted:

christ I'm gonna have to go to r/streams to watch Ronaldo's first game? god dammit

You can always watch on RAI Italia in standard definition and in Italian :v:

If it was HD I wouldn't even bother with sports packages on TV, to be honest. BeIN also was kind enough to carry MotoGP the last few seasons but MotoGP is the only sport in the world that actually has a great streaming package that I've found, so at least I can just cancel every sports related cable package I have.

If it makes anyone feel better, even in the nations these leagues are from the TV deals are insane. You have to pay for Sky, Mediaset and some new thing called DAZN in Italy to get every Serie A, Coppa Italia and European matches. There are games in England that aren't even televised at all.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

You can always watch on RAI Italia in standard definition and in Italian :v:

If it was HD I wouldn't even bother with sports packages on TV, to be honest. BeIN also was kind enough to carry MotoGP the last few seasons but MotoGP is the only sport in the world that actually has a great streaming package that I've found, so at least I can just cancel every sports related cable package I have.

If it makes anyone feel better, even in the nations these leagues are from the TV deals are insane. You have to pay for Sky, Mediaset and some new thing called DAZN in Italy to get every Serie A, Coppa Italia and European matches. There are games in England that aren't even televised at all.

a lot of people are too young to remember this or weren't even alive when this was the case, but up until the 1980s there was only one NCAA football game aired on TV per week, and teams could be on TV a maximum of once nationally per season (there were a few weeks blocked out for regional telecasts, plus bowl games weren't subject to this limit). this was supposedly to "protect live attendance" like the England rule (where games at the traditional 3 pm kickoff time can't be aired to "protect live attendance at all levels of football"), and it took a Supreme Court decision to get this overturned. best part of that decision was that Byron White, a former NCAA football star at Colorado, was still sitting on SCOTUS at that time: he voted against opening up the airwaves.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

a lot of people are too young to remember this or weren't even alive when this was the case, but up until the 1980s there was only one NCAA football game aired on TV per week, and teams could be on TV a maximum of once nationally per season (there were a few weeks blocked out for regional telecasts, plus bowl games weren't subject to this limit). this was supposedly to "protect live attendance" like the England rule (where games at the traditional 3 pm kickoff time can't be aired to "protect live attendance at all levels of football"), and it took a Supreme Court decision to get this overturned. best part of that decision was that Byron White, a former NCAA football star at Colorado, was still sitting on SCOTUS at that time: he voted against opening up the airwaves.
In the late 1970's, the NBA had such popularity issues that playoff games and even The Finals were shown on Tape Delay outside of the local markets of the teams playing.

When I was growing up in the 1980's, I was more of a Cubs & Braves fan than a Twins fan even though I lived in Minnesota. This was because the Cubs & Braves were on "superstations" that broadcast about 90% of their games, while the Twins only put their road games on TV via the idea that as long as there were tickets available at the Metrodome then people should go to the game if they want to see it.

Also...

quote:

Byron White, a former NCAA football star at Colorado, was still sitting on SCOTUS at that time: he voted against opening up the airwaves.

Never trust a man nicknamed "The Whizzer".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Could be worse.

Could be what Bill Wirtz did and tried to start a PPV channel for the Blackhawks... IN CHICAGO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

iospace posted:

Could be worse.

Could be what Bill Wirtz did and tried to start a PPV channel for the Blackhawks... IN CHICAGO.
HAWKVISION!!!1!1!1!!!!!!