Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
So digging in the text dump:

"Whine all you want. I'm not letting you out. In fact you'd practically have to find a way to break the cell bars if you wanted out. And like THAT's going to happen. After all it's almost impossible to break metal. You'd need to heat it up, cool it down, and then hit it with a lot of force to break it. And there's no way that could happen, ever. So hah!"

So I checked the events map, and you have to try talking to the guy through the bars, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

"Whine all you want. I'm not letting you out. In fact you'd practically have to find a way to break the cell bars if you wanted out. And like THAT's going to happen. After all it's almost impossible to break metal. You'd need to heat it up, cool it down, and then hit it with a lot of force to break it. And there's no way that could happen, ever. So hah!"

So I checked the events map, and you have to try talking to the guy through the bars, I think?

They spell out the solution for you and it's still convoluted, unintuitive bullshit because you have to do the poo poo with Abra and Loudred and Jigglypuff and why.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I take it this game is an example of one where the puzzles don't have logical solutions, instead they purely require you to understand what the developer was thinking at the time they made the game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I take it this game is an example of one where the puzzles don't so much have logical solutions as they do require you to understand what the developer was thinking at the time they made the game.

This surpasses cat hair moustaches by at least four degrees just because you have to repeat the steps multiple times, plus they threw in red herrings that were important only for optional goodies.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

KataraniSword posted:

This surpasses cat hair moustaches by at least four degrees just because you have to repeat the steps multiple times, plus they threw in red herrings that were important only for optional goodies.

The innate logic is sounder than Cat Hair Mustache, but the process is far more tedious and unintuitive, and you don't even get the bemused 'okay how is this gonna work?'

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It sounds like the kind of puzzle that developers would put the solution in the manual as a form of lovely copy protection.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This game has taught me that there are two kinds of difficulty. There's a kind of difficulty you'll encounter when something needs intense logic or skill to work out: difficult like a rubik's cube. Then there's a kind of difficult you'll encounter when something requires a disgusting amount of containment and self sacrifice just to tolerate: difficult like a hyperactive undisciplined child in your classroom. The key difference being that the outcome of the former challenge is based purely upon your own efforts where the outcome of the latter challenge is based mainly on how challenging the other person is being.

I will not contest that this game has its difficulty set to hardcore, but this game isn't a puzzle at all. It's a test of mental endurance against someone else's disruptive behaviour.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 1, 2018

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

I've obsessed over Pokemon Reborn so much, I have a color-coded 5,999-word document filled with quotes, pieces of lore, and my own findings of the game so far up to the end of E17.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I will not contest that this game has its difficulty set to hardcore, but this game isn't a puzzle at all. It's a test of mental endurance against someone else's disruptive behaviour.
That's why I counter whatever nonsense opponent I come across using Imposter Ditto and X Items. There's another Pokemon I use, but it's not available at this point yet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This way to the right is the way to the rest of the factory. It's the natural state of a Reborn dungeon: repetitive halls with trainer battles.

Some of the grunts have apparently gotten promotions, to Meteor Kights.

They have ridiculous poke-ball-holder coils. I think it's the same coil Frank got stuck in.

There are locks to disengage.

Such as to the front door.

The girls promote to Meteor Dames. They have ridiculous poke-ball-holder wings.

No Dame has more than 4 pokemon, I checked.

Hey it's the room where Amaria asked if we trust her!

Which includes the trap door, which still works!

For old time's sake. And since no message says her hearing returns, I assume Raven is still deaf.

Anyway there are two atrium locks and with those we get to the dumb cutscene that only makes things worse.

: "You're an annoyance. You meddle in dangerous affairs, but I'll congratulate you for cutting through my subordinates."

He says this so automatic movement takes over. When I enter the loving room it's a cutscene where I have no autonomy.

"destruction of the PULSE-Tangrowth project."
: "I'm aware. But, Raven, this is slightly different from the one you have seen already."

I sympathize with it.

: "suffocates its spirit. Even its body gives way as it collapses drool into a mere puddle of itself."

I think this is how they establish the Team Meteor leader as a "badded rear end" as he is willing to make his Pokemon kill people.

Luckily, or perhaps unluckily, we're saved!

This peril is completely arbitrary since it was scripted movement that I was even in this bind in the first place?

(Oh it was Amaria that saved us)

: "Why would you want to do that? You're destroying a beautiful lake and making life hard for Reborn City!"
: "That's exactly why."

: "If their homes are destroyed by raging plants, or they can't even drink water anymore... Then they'll leave. All of them will. And since Grandview Station is destroyed, no more will arrive. This will become a vacant, ruined city again. As it should have stayed in the first place!"
: "You're awful!"
: "Do not judge that which you do not understand. We have our motives. If you do not share them, you are an enemy."
: "I'll never allow you to get away with it!"
: Interesting.
: "Wh-what? Why did your tone change so suddenly?"

: "What, this? It was a gift, from Tania. You're not taking it, if that's what you think! Anything Tania gives to me is precious. I'll defend it with my life!"
: "Suit yourself. Both are forfeit."

"It would seem your presence here is unnecessary."
"So get the hell out already!"

While the NPC battles the main anatagonist, who discussed his motives, we get

Our third battle with ZEL.

I mean, you already have bad guys losing the battle but keeping on the war in Pokemon games, can't you let Solaris lose once and decide that he has to hasten his plans because of the player character? At least let me do something besides be the person who has to actually fight the PULSE things?

Anyway, it's on a Factory, so let's go over its most obvious effect of factory field: A big-rear end boost to steel damage.

I can see why they want to put Magnemite later. ZEL's Espeon is powerless against this guy and it oneshot's her with a single Flash Cannon.

Umbreon barely makes it, but I can keep mashing the Flash Cannon button.

Of course, ZEL has the Muk at the end.

And of course, it's a PULSE mutation. Like the notes said, Muk has infinite special defense and has Protean. It's barely ever a Poison-type.

It has Mud Bomb and slightly outspeeds Maxwell, so this just got... complicated.

Discharge toggles the field and it is PULSE Muk's favorite move, because it's boosted by the field either way. Big Bong's Gyro Balls can't really get to Muk when it resists them.

Joe Bidoon nails it with a Super Fang, and dies for it.

Incidentally this is also the last time we'll see Joe Bidoon for a long-rear end while, because the game is so stingy with TMs.

This means Amethyst's philosophy on TM distribution, concentrating it later when level-up lists end, is flawed, because it disadvantages Joe Bidoon.

After that, it's darkness-boosted Night Slashes as the Muk goes for the ground weakness with Mud Shot, and Inthesto rips this like a fart.

This is the first time Meteor's boss is named. The timing of these reveals is utterly pointless.

: "Useless. Haha. Yes, you are as useless as your worthless actions."

See, this is what I mean, he's still losing the battle but not defeated for good.

: "Speaking of gone, there's no point to us staying here. First, a parting gift."

By the way, this is how you know he's the bad guy:

jesus loving christ

Then it fades to black and they're all gone while Raven and Amaria stand in the same spot. They're really good at this.

Also it kinda undersells your villain if his Godzilla directly punching a human doesn't even knock her out.

: "Just a little winded. Well, now the water won't be polluted anymore. But he said... it's too late? It's true, a lot's been ruined, but in time,"

Well I'm glad we changed nothing and learned only the basic outline of the villain team's plan, which we only slightly coaxed out of the main antagonist.

: "Okay... You can take my boat. It's true that the toxic water will probably destroy it if it's used, but... I get the feeling you need it now more than I'll need it later. So, here. That key opens my dock in the Coral Ward. You know, where we first ran into each other? Help yourself to the boat."

So the solution to the can't travel the polluted water problem? Eh, gently caress it! Use a boat anyway!

: "Me? I think I'm just gonna go back home and rest for a while. Tania's probably waiting for me, too... Ahaha~ I live up in the Aventurine Region, north of Reborn City, so if you're ever in the area, please drop by! And... thanks for your help! Truly."

So I guess we have a boat, so we can go to Apophyll.

We sorta made progress towards our goal, of moving one rock?

TALLY OF ATROCITY:
Confirmed deaths: 9
Acts of terrorism: 6
Acts of torture: 2
A Pokemon is ordered to attack a trainer directly: 2
Bad guys escape somehow: 3
Absols: 3

TODAY'S RANDOM SHINY:

Amethyst uses this color swapping thing a few times. At least, I think that's what's happening; Psyduck's canon shiny is shockingly blue already.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 1, 2018

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And basically none of this was needed if they went 'eh gently caress it, take the boat, figure your own way back' in the first place.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

I've obsessed over Pokemon Reborn so much, I have a color-coded 5,999-word document filled with quotes, pieces of lore, and my own findings of the game so far up to the end of E17.

Well I'm glad we changed nothing and learned only the basic outline of the villain team's plan, which we only slightly coaxed out of the main antagonist.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to admit, I think it would've been better if he outlined things from his first appearance. I don't see much of a difference from spreading it thin over the course of the story, when it's not all that big of a reveal to begin with:
Guy's mad that Reborn City exists because it lies on sacred ground. Because of this, he gets a group of people of varying motivation, allegiance, and intelligence to terrorize the place so that the inhabitants will leave.

That's essentially the skinny of it, when you compare it to Team Magma wanting to expand the land, Team Galactic wanting to create a new universe, or Team Flare wanting to 144,000 the world... but of course, with Reborn, nothing is ever that simple.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

F14m3rz posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to admit, I think it would've been better if he outlined things from his first appearance. I don't see much of a difference from spreading it thin over the course of the story, when it's not all that big of a reveal to begin with:
Guy's mad that Reborn City exists because it lies on sacred ground. Because of this, he gets a group of people of varying motivation, allegiance, and intelligence to terrorize the place so that the inhabitants will leave.

That's essentially the skinny of it, when you compare it to Team Magma wanting to expand the land, Team Galactic wanting to create a new universe, or Team Flare wanting to 144,000 the world... but of course, with Reborn, nothing is ever that simple.

so Solaris basically has the plot of a loving Scooby Doo Villain

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I was trying to read this update but my mind kept coming back to this outfit and I kept getting distracted by its incredible stupidity.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
At this point in the plot, what ways out of the city are there, and what reasons do they have for being blocked? Team Meteor's plan is horribly flawed because most of Reborn City is basically locked down by if what we've seen so far is any indication. And the worst part is that it's probably locked down by something stupid like Strength rocks.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

Robindaybird posted:

so Solaris basically has the plot of a loving Scooby Doo Villain

It's like a Scooby Doo plot, except there are several villains, silly reveals, it's convoluted to high heaven, and Scooby Doo is a silent protagonist.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I can't believe you didn't get the most important part of this update fully in frame. Please show us that "Really I'm fine!" horse in all its glory.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Man, it sure is good they made us understand the value of Reborn City and sympathize with the people struggling to eke out a hard-scrabble but worthwhile life in Reborn City, that way when the main villain announces his plan to run everyone out of the city we'll be emotionally invested in opposing him.

:effort:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

THE END

Wow OFS that was a truly terrible game well done for pulling through and fulfilling the criteria of this toxx clause.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 1, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
ISN'T THE TRAIN THE ONLY WAY IN OR OUT OF REBORN?!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Team Meteor's goal is almost laudable; Reborn is a terrible city and everyone should leave. They're dicks about it, but still.

Of course Solaris destroyed what is apparently the only way for anyone to actually do the thing Solaris wants, but it wouldn't be Reborn without people failing anticlimactically and then moving on anyway like it didn't happen.

See: invading a factory to de-pollute the lake so you can cross, beating everyone and removing the source of pollution, and then the result being that you failed, the lake is still polluted, and also incidentally you can now cross the lake anyway.

megane fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 1, 2018

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

The bad guys' poke-ball-holder coils look less like usable accessories and more like The Thing hasn't finished assimilating them yet. I just picture you defeating it in a trainer battle and it keels over and screams like this.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Are Team Meteor actually the good guys? I can certainly understand why they'd want to depopulate this place. But on the other hand...

This line contains a misplaced hyphen, so he's clearly gotta die.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think I'm actually more annoyed that they did this. For a game that clings so desperately to its love of stupid obscure bullshit to wimp out now and hand you a solution is pathetic. It also implies that this puzzle was so astoundingly dumb that even their hardcore fan club whined about it, in which case the sane response is to change the loving puzzle instead of just telling you how to do it to make the repetitive busywork even more pointless.

Anyway, this update. Meteor are looking more and more like the good guys. Raven should be looking around and thinking 'Uh, yeah, this place is awful, I can get behind forcing everyone to leave.' (Maybe that's why the player doesn't fight Solaris.)

If she'd actually been able to hear that conversation instead of being permanently deaf now, of course :v:

I fully expect the boat will dissolve while we're at... wherever we're meant to be going... and leave us with no way to get back to Hellhole City unless we go through yet more bullshit. And inexplicably no option to shrug and go somewhere else instead. This goddamn rock will have eroded naturally by the time we get there.

(Also, Solaris? If you really want to gently caress up the water supply, don't just dump poo poo in a lake. Make acid rain.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

No Dame has more than 4 pokemon, I checked.
That's actually kind of great.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Does the reborn community hate feelings of accomplishment or something?
Because between the futility of rescuing the kids from Dr. ZappoMcEthicsviolation and not actually accomplishing anything after watching the NPCs bust up a stronghold full of bad guys busting up a stronghold full of bad guys. (And it wasn't even like, oh no things didn't go as planned: things went exactly as planned and it still didn't accomplish anything) I'm starting to wonder if they legitimately hate feeling like anything they do matters.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm starting to wonder if they legitimately hate feeling like anything they do matters.

Well, it would be SO unrealistic, maaaan. :emo:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Another thing that's a major annoyance in this update is it's form, not the content. See, in the mainline games, an attempt to murder someone using Pokemon would be animated. Hell, in Gen 2 when Lance fights (murders with Hyper Beam) the Rocket grunt in Mahogany, the grunts sprite gets flung across the room. And this is based on Gen V sprites, which had a lot more animation in the overworld.

Yet here we get load of text after text after text. I bet Amethyst is a :cadfan:

Show, don't tell people!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, it would be SO unrealistic, maaaan. :emo:

It's weird that one can have such a dour view of reality and yet dismiss the notion of escapism.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

EclecticTastes posted:

Okay, now I want to see a fangame where it's Pokemon, except your Pokemon can obtain Personas. And those Persona all have Digimon. And those Digimon are licensed Monster Ranchers. And their monsters find and befriend Yokai. Just 'mon games all the way down.

you are a beautiful soul

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ChrisBTY posted:

Does the reborn community hate feelings of accomplishment or something?
Because between the futility of rescuing the kids from Dr. ZappoMcEthicsviolation and not actually accomplishing anything after watching the NPCs bust up a stronghold full of bad guys busting up a stronghold full of bad guys. (And it wasn't even like, oh no things didn't go as planned: things went exactly as planned and it still didn't accomplish anything) I'm starting to wonder if they legitimately hate feeling like anything they do matters.

You have it backwards. They are getting to accomplish stuff and be important, because they are the NPCs. They hate you, the player, the person not in their circlejerk in-group, being successful and feeling accomplished.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You know I was just about to chime in with 'Wait, is the whole point of this game to show off everybody's cool OCs and the PC is ultimately just a tourist?"
Because you know everybody in the group is more invested in their own character's contributions than what they're doing as a player.
Hell, in all fairness I would be.
Suddenly I'm imagining Amethyst getting bombarded with 'THAT'S ALL YOU'RE HAVING ME DO" messages and I almost pity her.
Almost.

But I mean. Would it have killed them to actually cleanse the lake instantly? I know it's not realistic and all but I just went through Alfyn's story in Octopath. It worked there and it was great.

I'm just imagining Julia's player intentionally losing the first gym battle repeatedly because she wants to watch her OC smash.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 1, 2018

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Do any of the other members of the RP group even know this exists?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Schubalts posted:

Do any of the other members of the RP group even know this exists?

I was told that the ID's of the Gym Leaders were kept a secret to not connect them to accounts online. but yes they are aware since it started up while it was still a league.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kw0134 posted:

I was trying to read this update but my mind kept coming back to this outfit and I kept getting distracted by its incredible stupidity.

I think there was a Pokemon Gym boss with this kind of outfit. And the only difference was that she was wearing a dress.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I think there was a Pokemon Gym boss with this kind of outfit. And the only difference was that she was wearing a dress.

Just looked through all the gym leaders and the closes we ever got was Clemont in Gen V. Maybe you're thinking of another fangame?

Or maybe it was one of the E4, like Caitlin or Shauntal. Man Gen V had some weird-rear end designs.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

RareAcumen posted:

It seems to be a Winona edit, based on the pose. Then again, she didn't have those ridiculous wing things or a dress, so you're probably thinking of something else.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The wings are from Tucker, one of Emerald's Frontier Brains.

tankfish
May 31, 2013
So our magical NPC got punched by Godzilla, and survived? Since pen and paper Rpgs were mentioned that kinda reminds of the pokemon one. I believe it had a trainer class whose whole job was to wrestle pokemon into submission, and get punched maybe she multiclassed into it?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I know its a smaller thing compared to everything else, but wow does Pulse Muk look terrible. Was really hoping for more from that, given the sprite work has generally been the upside of this train wreck. Also why have both of the Pulse pokemon so far been colored incorrectly? Base Tangrowth was dark green, and now Base Muk was a weird dark purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

The wings are from Tucker, one of Emerald's Frontier Brains.

I most certainly did not think of Tucker because I never messed with the Frontier stuff.

Epicmissingno posted:

It seems to be a Winona edit, based on the pose. Then again, she didn't have those ridiculous wing things or a dress, so you're probably thinking of something else.

You're right, I was thinking of someone else and also not remembering their design properly.

Fantina