Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Rarity posted:

The best part about this is the bit where they calculate the overall benefits while ignoring all the negative costs of taking a job role that perpetuates our broken social system

"Externalities"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Basement Wife!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

comedyblissoption posted:

jesus storms the temple and blesses the money lenders and merchants for providing so much economic value and enabling the possibility of those in their profession to do more good than the teachers and doctors and common laborers

Didn't he also have something to say about the rich who donated a large amount of money, but a small percentage of their wealth versus a poor woman who donated her last shekel?

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Didn't he also have something to say about the rich who donated a large amount of money, but a small percentage of their wealth versus a poor woman who donated her last shekel?

Mark 12:41-44 posted:

The Widow’s Offering

41 And he sat down opposite the treasury, and watched the multitude putting money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. 42 And a poor widow came, and put in two copper coins, which make a penny. 43 And he called his disciples to him, and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury. 44 For they all contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, her whole living.”

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fire

the building

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Do rich Christians think that passing a camel through the eye of a needle is the easiest poo poo ever? I'm not Christian, so forgive me if my interpretation of the New Testament is wrong, but I'm pretty sure Jesus wasn't too big a fan of the very wealthy.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdH2DGSXjss

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We get yelled at if we say we'll come in early. Or stay late. Or work the weekend. All of those things lead to overtime which as we all know is an invention by the devil.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

guns for tits posted:

Do rich Christians think that passing a camel through the eye of a needle is the easiest poo poo ever? I'm not Christian, so forgive me if my interpretation of the New Testament is wrong, but I'm pretty sure Jesus wasn't too big a fan of the very wealthy.

Well you see, the Eye of the Needle was actually a gate in the walls of Jerusalem which was exceptionally wide, so it was really quite easy for a fully-laden camel to walk through it

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I did my research and the maths and figured out that being a nuclear weapons engineer pays damned good money. I make so much I can donate tons of cash to the survivors of the most horrible calamity - nuclear war. I would be hard pressed to name one nuclear-burns doctor that has done as much for survivors as myself. I feel so damned smug that I made this one simple choice that has done so much good for the world.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Neutrino posted:

I did my research and the maths and figured out that being a nuclear weapons engineer pays damned good money. I make so much I can donate tons of cash to the survivors of the most horrible calamity - nuclear war. I would be hard pressed to name one nuclear-burns doctor that has done as much for survivors as myself. I feel so damned smug that I made this one simple choice that has done so much good for the world.

my step-dad worked his early life building nuclear bombs for the UK government. he is proud to say that nothing he built has ever been used to harm anyone :v:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Len posted:

We get yelled at if we say we'll come in early. Or stay late. Or work the weekend. All of those things lead to overtime which as we all know is an invention by the devil.

well as long as you don't consider it overtime then you're a good employee

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Halser posted:

well as long as you don't consider it overtime then you're a good employee

That's fine until the tax man gets hold of your key card log in an audit and sends you a loving bill for all the extra hours you haven't paid taxes for at the going rate. (They don't give a poo poo if you haven't actually gotten paid for said hours.)

(Maybe in the US the revenue service doesn't have access to such logs? IDK.)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rutibex posted:

my step-dad worked his early life building nuclear bombs for the UK government. he is proud to say that nothing he built has ever been used to harm anyone :v:

A college friend got a job at one of the big laser labs that the US uses for designing nuclear weapons inertial confinement fusion research for green energy!!! and said he had to quit after he got to a point where he'd frequently wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat after having a nightmare that he helped cause the nuclear holocaust

Lena Dunham
Sep 19, 2017

ate all the Oreos posted:

A college friend got a job at one of the big laser labs that the US uses for designing nuclear weapons inertial confinement fusion research for green energy!!! and said he had to quit after he got to a point where he'd frequently wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat after having a nightmare that he helped cause the nuclear holocaust

Lol what a bitch

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

e: VV aw goddammit

World War Mammories has issued a correction as of 15:23 on Aug 1, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

This was posted like 10 posts ago, but since you found it too: Wouldn't the suggestion box being empty mean your employees aren't engaged in their job or bringing you useful ideas :colbert:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It'd e better than finding it stuffed with used TP with "kill yourself" scrawled on every morning

Which I hope is that guy's experience.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ate all the Oreos posted:

This was posted like 10 posts ago, but since you found it too: Wouldn't the suggestion box being empty mean your employees aren't engaged in their job or bringing you useful ideas :colbert:

I do enjoy the idea that every Friday is Halloween

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

e: VV aw goddammit

Also, if your business is constantly behind schedule, isn't that more of a management problem?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Also, if your business is constantly behind schedule, isn't that more of a management problem?

Management cannot fail, it can only be failed

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I touch myself while in clown makeup as I think of the quarterly earnings reports

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Inept posted:

I touch myself while in clown makeup as I think of the quarterly earnings reports

If you look at this chart you'll see my boner is going up, up, UP!

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Power_of_the_glory posted:

"I'm sorry, that problem was all my fault!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I do enjoy the idea that every Friday is Halloween

Like I assume they meant the opposite of casual friday, so like, does this person really wish everyone still wore elaborate victorian clothes to work or something?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's like standard office shenanigans like Hawaiian shirt day or crazy hat day, dumb bullshit to try and fool you into believing work is fun and these people are your friends

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

It's like standard office shenanigans like Hawaiian shirt day or crazy hat day, dumb bullshit to try and fool you into believing work is fun and these people are your friends

I make sure to let my coworkers know that we're never going to be friends.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My usual limit is going to the occasional coworker happy hour.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
We can start talking friendship when they show they are willing to implicate themselves in my plan to firebomb the corporate HQ

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

My usual limit is going to the occasional coworker happy hour.

Perfect time to break out the union pamphlets

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That post about millennials and that post about ~5% union participation. Isnt the millennial generation in general ripe for unionization?

I mean there's got to be a way to make it work without management firing everyone.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Outrail posted:

That post about millennials and that post about ~5% union participation. Isnt the millennial generation in general ripe for unionization?

I mean there's got to be a way to make it work without management firing everyone.

There just aren't that many unions anymore thanks to decades of unionbusting. Millennials are generally happy to join a union when there's one to join.
https://www.thenation.com/article/millennials-are-keeping-unions-alive/

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

There just aren't that many unions anymore thanks to decades of unionbusting. Millennials are generally happy to join a union when there's one to join.
https://www.thenation.com/article/millennials-are-keeping-unions-alive/

Unions also don't really do a great job of community outreach or advertising. Or at least, not locally. You can drive around the interstate and see big signs painted on parked trailers for non-union shops, and they have logos plastered all over schools where they've done work or pay for radio ads.

By contrast, my local does gently caress-all for advertising except going to a couple high school job fairs and putting up a bunch of lights downtown for Christmas.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Takes about 15-20 years of beating people and getting beat up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The billionaires and their criminal political puppets have won and we are powerless to stop it. We are either victims or part of the problem or both.