Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
For a game I had never even heard of 1 month ago I am now sat watching Steam decrypt the download. Something I have never done before.

Heard this game is supposed to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

harperdc posted:

come check in after you see *checks notes* Chapter 3.

Also check in at the end of chapter 1 and the end of chapter 4

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I'm 2 minutes in and I already love the game

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

You can safely ignore all mini-games and still get enough CP points to get the good stuff. For my NG+ thing I dove into them a fair amount so I could unlock the stupidly overpowered 40 CP items and... they're pretty good! It was a bit frustrating at times but with some guides giving me general strategies I eventually got decent at dancing and outrun and a few other games I ignored the last time. It was more fun than I though learning them and a couple of them have silly bits of narrative to them.

I will never, ever, ever do batting cages though.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I am extremely glad to see that by default it is subbed with Japanese audio, I really didn't expect that. I was about to restart the game to make sure it wasn't in the options before they staarted talking, pleasant surprise

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Also just in case it's not obvious because a friend of mine got angry and impatient over losing at outrun and never went back to the game because he's a big huffy baby, when you get to the mini game challenges with (incredibly teeny tiny spoiler for a Kiryu side story) the real estate kings you don't have to win, the story will carry on even if you lose.

Losing just means it'll take you a bit longer to finish their part of the story.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Frog Act posted:

I am extremely glad to see that by default it is subbed with Japanese audio, I really didn't expect that. I was about to restart the game to make sure it wasn't in the options before they staarted talking, pleasant surprise

Yeah there is no english dub. The only yakuza game that had an english dub was Yakuza 1 for the PS2.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AnElegantPeacock posted:

How does the Taxi substory pay off in 5? Is it worth pursuing? I find it tedious as hell but if there some silly poo poo or action movie antics in there I don't wanna miss it.

sane taxi is good and cool, but taxi racing is just kinda there. you grind at it and if you keep up with upgrades the races are very easy.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Wow, this game looks loving great on Ultra settings, and runs great on my lovely computer and GTX 960 2gb. Is there any way to lock on in combat?

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
So the Steam page says Yakuza 0 has Denuvo Anti-Tamper. Does that mean I can't monkey around with cheat engine to mess with values, or is that more for like no fan-made mods?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Frog Act posted:

Wow, this game looks loving great on Ultra settings, and runs great on my lovely computer and GTX 960 2gb. Is there any way to lock on in combat?

Yeah, on PS4 it's R1 to lock on so probably the shoulder button of whatever controller you're using

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Raimondo posted:

So the Steam page says Yakuza 0 has Denuvo Anti-Tamper. Does that mean I can't monkey around with cheat engine to mess with values, or is that more for like no fan-made mods?

No it means it's a little bit harder to pirate, mainly, since they have to crack Denuvo and that depends on the variant Sega used. Cheat engine tables should still come out for it, eventually.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God the loving karaoke :swoon:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

This looks to be a great port. Runs at a near-flawless 4K60 (only dropping to around 55 during some heat move animations) on my i7-4770k/GTX 780 that has absolutely no business running any game made in this decade at 4K60, cutscenes also play at 60 fps, and saving is now pretty much instantaneous because you no longer have to sit through the system save thing.

Jerusalem posted:

:allears: When I played the PS4 version as my first Yakuza game, that was the moment I realized I had made the right choice in finally giving these games a shot.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I know I'm having these huge beatmania flashbacks. I almost wanna rebind stuff to the arrow keys for just karaoake

ed: got pro on the first time :smuggo:

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I don't know if this is just a local thing or if there is an endemic problem, but there seems to be something fucky about how Yakuza handles fullscreen mode. I had the game go into screen-saver in the middle of the first long cutscene with the lieutenants, and when I moved the mouse, the game was running in a visible window with solid black interior (audio continuing). Bizarrely, the game wasn't even represented down in the windows taskbar and I could not cycle back to it by alt-tabbing, I had to shut down steam.

Apparently the game did not make any saves during the first hour, so now I get to start over. Hopefully playing in borderless mode will prevent this.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 1, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Scoss posted:

Apparently the game did not make any saves during the first hour, so now I get to start over. Hopefully playing in borderless mode will prevent this.
Until 6 Yakuza didn't have autosaves. Get used to visiting the payphones frequently.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Sindai posted:

Until 6 Yakuza didn't have autosaves. Get used to visiting the payphones frequently.

Can't you also use the menu in 0 to save anywhere the way you can in Kiwami?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xarbala posted:

You're in luck, yakuza sports minigames actually own.

Yeah, the ones that suck are usually things like Shogi or Mahjong where it’s a game that’s kind of outside context for people who aren’t Japanese.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Its all working great for me aside from pedestrians bugging out sometimes and sorta shooting around. There's also a lot of clones but thats to be expected. I'm like two hours in and I'm really enjoying this game so far, the dialogue is great, the ambiance is on point, it all just comes together well

I've also just been keeping two inflation calculators up on my laptop and plugging in figures now and again until I can do it in my head so I always know roughly how much things are worth in like contemporary USD because I find it really interesting for some reason that your friend suggests you buy a $4500 suit and you get $30 for beating (murdering???) that guy in the beginning

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

mp5 posted:

Can't you also use the menu in 0 to save anywhere the way you can in Kiwami?

Kiwami introduced that.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I completely forgot about the lack of autosave. Played a few games of Space Harrier and the game crashed after I tried to leave the arcade cabinet. I have to re-do the entirety of Chapter 1 and some of Chapter 2 again because my only save file is almost 3 hours old. :doh:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

protip to pc people starting yakuza 0, find some playlists of 80s japanese music on youtube or spotify or wherever to listen to while you walk around town from sidequest to sidequest

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pro-est tip: Never leave the karaoke booth.

Can't believe I can now play a Yakuza game on PC. Greatest day.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Scoss posted:

I had the game go into screen-saver....
Apparently the game did not make any saves....

I’m glad all these PC people are joining us, but be warned!!

:siren: :siren: Yakuza 0 and Kiwami have very long cutscenes rivaled only by MGS2 and 4, and no autosave whatsoever. Consider disabling your screensaver entirely, and play in borderless mode if possible so you can Alt-Tab out safely. :siren: :siren: This runs counter to almost every AAA PC game released in the last decade (NieR: Automata is about the only exception) and a warning should really be in the OP at least twice, because it's already hosed up a number of poor souls here.

Kiwami at least allows you to manually save from the menu unless you’re in combat, but in 0 you can only save at phones or between chapters. Yakuza 6 uses a new engine with actual autosave, but you can still save manually from the menu. I think Lost Paradise uses the older engine from 0/Kiwami but I don't know whether or not you're restricted to save points. (Are those still phone booths? Do those work in the post-apocalypse? Who would Ken even call??)

The upcoming PS4 remasters of Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 technically don't even have Western releases confirmed, let alone PC versions, but as of right now I don't think anyone knows if they will let you save anywhere like Kiwami. I sure hope so because that one feature is literally the difference between me rebuying three games, instead of rebuying one in hopes of a better localization.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I can at least confirm that playing in Borderless mode will let you recover from screen-saver without breaking the game, in addition to making the game more alt-tab friendly. Alt-tabbing in fullscreen seems to force the game into windowed mode, if it doesn't outright catch on fire.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Copied from /v/

quote:

You can enable saving anywhere like in Ishin by going to:
>Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Sega\Yakuza0
Then opening up settings.ini and changing "SaveAnywhere" from 0 to 1.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ahaha that is literally an option, hadn't checked out that section yet

[General]
SaveAnywhere=0

[System]
VersionNumber=1

e: confirm that it works, probably opens up a ton of event flag issues so save only if there isn't an obvious event blocking you from a savepoint

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 1, 2018

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Stoked to check this out after work tonight.

Being a port, I'm guessing it's best played with a controller instead of KB+M?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

real yakuza only use a controller

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Butcher posted:

Stoked to check this out after work tonight.

Being a port, I'm guessing it's best played with a controller instead of KB+M?

The game literally opens with this

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Pro-est tip: Never leave the karaoke booth.

The Karaoke place only exists to prepare you for the Disco minigame.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I have such fond, fond memories of my time with Y0 that I frequently forget that it contains Space Harrier, which is a well-regarded game that is actually Very Bad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Space Harrier is famous but no one actually likes it.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The music's ok

So apparently this PC port is hosed up for both of my friends trying to play it.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/961967847878222167/B38E3843DA59BB1EF10B9A3FC94470BE9E4EB1F3/

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

How do I go into the sega arcades, do they unlock later?

also I love the detail in the shops, I wish I could read the magazines but its for the best because I'd spend all my time reading translated 80s japanese magazines

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

In combat is there any way to toggle lock on instead of having to hold RB?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

In combat is there any way to toggle lock on instead of having to hold RB?

Nope.

I don't know if this is the precise reason but I imagine it's because holding RB figures into move commands once you're skilled up.

Sakurazuka posted:

Other than Hideki Kamiya

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Frog Act posted:

How do I go into the sega arcades, do they unlock later?

also I love the detail in the shops, I wish I could read the magazines but its for the best because I'd spend all my time reading translated 80s japanese magazines

Most minigames are accessible from chapter 1 (As long as the path isn't blocked for story reasons.), not sure about the Arcade, though I'd wait until chapter 2 before I go around exploring stuff, because that's when sidequests and everything unlocks, some of which are tied to doing those minigames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sakurazuka posted:

I hate hate hate late 80’s early 90’s scaling-based 3D games. They’re ugly, they’re bad gameplay, UGH.