Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Drunken Baker posted:

I'm going to keep NMS installed for when I'm grotesquely hung over and just need something idle to do whilst dying on my couch.

Possibly sarcasm, but NMS only exists on my pc for when I'm hungover and at the point that smoking more weed won't get me any higher. From this standpoint, it's been a wonderful success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So after beating nier automata, yeah it was a cool and fun sci fi anime but nothing revolutionary. I saw a few videos on Yoko taro and his other games/plotlines and while there some interesting stuff in there, I'm not sure why anybody considers his work to be crazy deep or whatever. Also what's with his mannerisms? Dude thinks he's an anime, I hated those goobers in high school

The game's plot is pretty good for video game standards, with a massive emphasis on the phrase "video game standards." They nailed a melancholic vibe really well, I'll grant them that

I liked nier automata enough, definitely don't see myself replaying it ever. By the end I was insanely fed up with the 4 locations that make up the entirety of the game. I'll still take smaller, more focused and interesting games over large empty and generic worlds but god, I must have gone back to each area for different reasons a minimum of 8 times each

The first half of the game was much more engrossing than the second half, mostly because things don't really go to terribly interesting places given the premise

Meh, not a bad time for $30. Running around the ruined city with the area's signature theme playing was my favorite part of the game. Good atmosphere, not so great but still decently passable combat

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Most people like Yoko Taro for the ambiance and willingness to do, for videogames, unexpected things. His masterpiece* is definitely the first Nier, but youd have the same complaints there but with a much more dire combat system.

*Actual masterpiece is Time Crisis 2

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has there ever been a sequel or remaster where the selling-point is that the game is shorter because they cut down on the back-tracking and padding?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has there ever been a sequel or remaster where the selling-point is that the game is shorter because they cut down on the back-tracking and padding?

Skyrim on the Alexa?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Barudak posted:

Most people like Yoko Taro for the ambiance and willingness to do, for videogames, unexpected things. His masterpiece* is definitely the first Nier, but youd have the same complaints there but with a much more dire combat system.

*Actual masterpiece is Time Crisis 2

The ambience was insanely good so yeah I can get behind that. It does lose its luster after running through the same area repeatedly, and route b really didn't help with that

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wind Waker?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In addition to the others, Dragon Quest 8

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Red Faction Armageddon, and it was garbage.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Absolutely Windwaker. You get a sail that goes something like twice as fast, and the Triforce hunt at the end is basically non-existent.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
I played Nier Automata when it first came out and got to ending E. I promptly uninstalled it and regretted buying into the hype and paying full price.

So I booted it up again this past weekend and I've been thinking about and I've come to the conclusion: This game is boring, ugly and the story sucks balls.

Story stuff: The robots are evolving and creating Adam and Eve anime characters to be more human! The androids are trying to be more human too! The humans on the moon were dead/never existed the whole time! Androids and machines are all made from the same stuff and the differences between the two factions is an elaborate ruse! If we remake the androids we'll be stuck in a loop and only you can make the choices to break it!

Even the lush green areas were de-saturated and sandy beige colored. There's fog everywhere.

That game had a handful of moments that were really fun to play and a couple of moments that were beautiful looking, but those are just islands in a sea of boooooring.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I was honestly mad at how...shallow the plot ended up being. I was waiting for cool or surprising twists but they never came...such a cool setup that leads nowhere. Maybe that's "the point" and if so, that's a stupid rear end point.

That's what I get for getting invested into a video game plot! Yoko Taro you rear end! :argh:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Not knowing what equipment my mind slaves have in Octopath is annoying. I ran out of summons for the person I had and was locked in a town doing a quest so I tried alluring someone in town. When you allure someone you can know what they use if their listed skill uses that weapon. But what if their skill is healing grape? What if its defense stance? I don't know what weapons they're using and in some cases, don't even know what their special ability does. And hell, sometimes they do some attacks that make me go "god drat I would've rather known about that one instead!". See the aforementioned healing grape guy, who just decided to pummel 3 random enemies out of nowhere.

PS gently caress your healing grape on a fully healed party member and not the half dead tank you wanker

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The “twists” of Nier Automata aren the things that arent relevant for the characters because they are short sighted and self destructive. Whether that appeals to you that the story took some standard sci fi plot twists and purposefully subverted them gently to make them more depressing in a way the protagonists are oblivious to is completely a matter of taste but it does make the overall experience, especially with its repetitious structure, not feel particularly innovative story wise.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How do you get all the way to ending E and just suddenly have the revelation that you hated the game? Did you hate-play routes A-D?

I know that can be a facile observation ("lol you played a game you didn't enjoy") but for real, it takes almost 100 hours to get to the end of this one. Were you expecting a Shamamalan twist at the end that would redeem the whole experience?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
100 hours? It took me less than 30 dude.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Eh, I'm a completionist, give or take

Though 30 hours is still a lot of time spent on something making you miserable.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Lmao yeah it took me 28 or so

I didn't hate it, I actually really enjoyed route A a lot. The game only got worse from there though, and the last few sections were especially tedious. I stopped giving a poo poo after finishing route B and seeing that route C was more boring fights with tiny morsels of not at all interesting plot scattered between fetch quests

The story certainly didn't get any better after route A

I did get all the way to E in the hopes that it'd get better but yeah i personally never felt "miserable" playing it, just mildly disappointed towards the second half

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Aug 1, 2018

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The latter half of the game is definitely a bit underdeveloped. I thought the route B playthrough was really excellent (as much as everyone hates on it) and the recontextualusation of 9S it provided was crazy important to the unfolding story.

And the "oh we're straight-up the Nazis now" gut punch opener for the second half was loving insane. But after that there's sort of a pacing slowdown until the finale and I don't think it helps.

I suppose whether or not it works for you is sort of personal but I bought it at full price and regret nothing.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I liked it partially because I'm invested in the overarching story in Yoko Taro's fantasy setting. My only real disappointment with Nier Automata was still no concrete explanation for the city that got sent back in time. At least I finally got to play as some androids, though.

The end of the game isn't as out there as Nier or Drakengard 1/3, but I never reached a point where I was annoyed with the game, although I took a couple days off playing Nier Automata between endings.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Somfin posted:

The latter half of the game is definitely a bit underdeveloped. I thought the route B playthrough was really excellent (as much as everyone hates on it) and the recontextualusation of 9S it provided was crazy important to the unfolding story.

And the "oh we're straight-up the Nazis now" gut punch opener for the second half was loving insane. But after that there's sort of a pacing slowdown until the finale and I don't think it helps.

I suppose whether or not it works for you is sort of personal but I bought it at full price and regret nothing.

The start of route c is loving insane and one of my favourite gaming moments in years. It has its ups and downs for a while after that and maybe goes on a bit too long but i think it ends really well. It maybe worked for me because I just wasn't expecting the ending sequence to be so... warmhearted and hopeful, I guess

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i just wish in nier automata that you could murder 9s immediately and play the game without him, as he is the only bad thing about that game for me

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

spit on my clit posted:

i just wish in nier automata that you could murder 9s immediately and play the game without him, as he is the only bad thing about that game for me

This guy totally ****s

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

How do you get all the way to ending E and just suddenly have the revelation that you hated the game? Did you hate-play routes A-D?

I know that can be a facile observation ("lol you played a game you didn't enjoy") but for real, it takes almost 100 hours to get to the end of this one. Were you expecting a Shamamalan twist at the end that would redeem the whole experience?

I read a thing that said ending E was the "real one". I have 32 hours on steam. I had a sunken cost thing going on where I paid full price, so goddamnit, I'm going to play the whole thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

KingSlime posted:

So after beating nier automata, yeah it was a cool and fun sci fi anime but nothing revolutionary. I saw a few videos on Yoko taro and his other games/plotlines and while there some interesting stuff in there, I'm not sure why anybody considers his work to be crazy deep or whatever. Also what's with his mannerisms? Dude thinks he's an anime, I hated those goobers in high school

The game's plot is pretty good for video game standards, with a massive emphasis on the phrase "video game standards." They nailed a melancholic vibe really well, I'll grant them that

I liked nier automata enough, definitely don't see myself replaying it ever. By the end I was insanely fed up with the 4 locations that make up the entirety of the game. I'll still take smaller, more focused and interesting games over large empty and generic worlds but god, I must have gone back to each area for different reasons a minimum of 8 times each

The first half of the game was much more engrossing than the second half, mostly because things don't really go to terribly interesting places given the premise

Meh, not a bad time for $30. Running around the ruined city with the area's signature theme playing was my favorite part of the game. Good atmosphere, not so great but still decently passable combat
What's it like not to feel joy?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don’t think any part of Nier Automata induced joy, and I did like the game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

I don’t think any part of Nier Automata induced joy, and I did like the game.
I like it when robots suffer. I like to make Mega Man jump onto the spikes.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's ok, it lets me work a metric fuckton without breaking down into inconsolable tears which isn't the worst deal during these lowly times, I guess

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Drunken Baker posted:

I'm going to keep NMS installed for when I'm grotesquely hung over and just need something idle to do whilst dying on my couch.

FWIW I think its one of those games really good for listening to audiobooks while playing. Simple enough to be fun, but not so demanding that it requires all of your attention, very chill. Sort of like Destiny, WoW, or Mount and Blade, certainly not for everyone but if you have the right mindset then it can be great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mass Effect 2 replaces all of ME1's repetitive featureless planets with actual side content. It's not really shorter but it does have less padding.

The later versions of Dark Souls (and all of the sequels) add in more teleport locations to cut down on backtracking.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like it when robots suffer. I like to make Mega Man jump onto the spikes.

The X Legacy Collection games have a lower difficulty option where falling onto spikes is no longer instant death.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That the music for Lego Racers when you're building a car still loops in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DszKkZAsbA

Almost 20 goddamn years.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

The X Legacy Collection games have a lower difficulty option where falling onto spikes is no longer instant death.
This sucks, but so do all the X games after 2.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Why, oh why, does Monster Hunter World map “put weapon away” to square, a button that has been the “attack” button on a lot of games for a long time, with no option to remap controls?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Len posted:

That the music for Lego Racers when you're building a car still loops in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DszKkZAsbA

Almost 20 goddamn years.

I really liked the intro to Lego Racer's 2 where Rocket Racer, down and out after his defeat, finds the flyer for the Intergalactic Racing Tournament and decides to enter - he starts out in a basic lovely boxy car and as he passes the other racers his car rebuilds itself so he's back to his hypercar from the end of the first game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3RDjSIjxmw

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 06:20 on Aug 2, 2018

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

SwissDonkey posted:

Possibly sarcasm, but NMS only exists on my pc for when I'm hungover and at the point that smoking more weed won't get me any higher. From this standpoint, it's been a wonderful success

Bushmaori posted:

FWIW I think its one of those games really good for listening to audiobooks while playing.

No sarcasm and this is exactly what I plan to do Saturday/Sunday morning.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Banner Saga 3 is out!

It has two battles back to back that force you to, in some way, use Dytch, your stealth guy who you may not have used at all in the previous game. He's auto-levelled up to a reasonable point but it's still an annoying point of "oh what seriously, I have to use this guy twice?"

Also, random CYOA-segment character permadeaths are still around.

Also my save didn't properly import that I had the dredge baby! Either that or I didn't pick it up properly, or the import failed somewhere along the way. Either way I'm glad I could just manually edit my save file to put it in, because guess what - no dredge baby, then you lose the opportunity to pick up a character and depending on a choice you make - a choice several reasonable NPCs tell you to do - you lose an important character.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Dragon Quest VII? Because the 3DS version dramatically improved the pacing over the original PS1 game (and also evened out the difficulty curve and made the job system less grindy).

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Why, oh why, does Monster Hunter World map “put weapon away” to square, a button that has been the “attack” button on a lot of games for a long time, with no option to remap controls?
Monster Hunter has always done that, because gently caress you that's why.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

OK I beat the Banner Saga 3 and
come on

I know you're an indie developer with financial woes and needed to kickstart the game.

But getting your lowest-paid writer to do a little epilogue, Fire Emblem style, for each of the remaining living characters, is the least you could do. There's not even support conversations - you can make every character independent of every other character so there's only one single paragraph - or even long sentence - for each one.

To just end on "welp that's the end here's a little ending cutscene" leaves the game on an abrupt note even for big fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Because that's how it is. It doesn't do 'conventions'. Plus it's been that way since, like, the second game in the series (the first one used the right analog stick to attack by pressing different directions so...be glad they changed that at least). Changing it at this point would be a nightmare.

Lack of remapping controls is honestly a console problem in general. No idea why so few games implement the ability to do that.