Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Javid posted:

That's an upside down bucket lid, a piece of wood, and two decking screws. Somehow, that thing hasn't let a single detectable drop of water enter the cabin that I'm aware of, in even some serious PNW rain.

:catstare:

That’s like the “more magic” switch.

Put it back the way you found it, throw some salt over your shoulder, and never touch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol bless u goons

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Cursed patch jobs?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That picture would be made better if they had screwed or nailed those two pieces of wood together

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

couldcareless posted:

That picture would be made better if they had screwed or nailed those two pieces of wood together

Didn't they?

Isn't that a screw in the middle?

Isn't that the entire point and how they are staying up there?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes. Two pieces of wood screwed together to stabilize the glass, so the two broken pieces don't move against each other. Smart. Obviously very temporary, except it's been there long enough for the duct tape to decay and fall apart, so... a one-or-two-day fix has been there for at least months.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Yes. Two pieces of wood screwed together to stabilize the glass, so the two broken pieces don't move against each other. Smart. Obviously very temporary, except it's been there long enough for the duct tape to decay and fall apart, so... a one-or-two-day fix has been there for at least months.

like jeans you can sandblast duct tape to make it look more worn

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

The Bloop posted:

Didn't they?

Isn't that a screw in the middle?

Isn't that the entire point and how they are staying up there?

Didn't notice that. Welp

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

there wolf posted:

Anyone want to fill me in on what the gently caress I'm looking at here?

What's going on with these windows?

Why would you do this to your front door?

1) I expect that there was a hallway that was a supporting wall there. They removed the wall, and did... that with columns, instead of building them into the walls on either end of the new beam up in the ceiling.

2) not sure, entirely, but could be original to the house. I've seen houses from the '50s-'60s with similar horizontal-paned windows flanking a window like that.

3) lack of taste.

Leperflesh posted:

It's functionally similar to those people who put stick-on fender vents and hood scoops and chrome stripes onto their cars.

Oh my God that's a perfect analogy.

I was thrilled when the house caddy-corner to mine was remodeled, and they left the funky '60s front door.

(exterior pics from listing don't show the door well. It's orange on the outside, too.)

BTW, I'd like to thank the thread for letting me know that what I and my wife like are Craftsman style houses. Didn't know what to call the '20s-'30s houses with the columns and porches, before.

Javid posted:

I have a roof problem the solution to which will probably belong in this thread, and the current situation definitely does.

My van's roof has an 8" circular hole in it, covered by this:

That's an upside down bucket lid, a piece of wood, and two decking screws. Somehow, that thing hasn't let a single detectable drop of water enter the cabin that I'm aware of, in even some serious PNW rain.

I'm gonna have to replace it at some point, but the options for roof vents are all way bigger, requiring cutting a new, larger hole in the roof, or smaller, requiring some sort of ghetto spacer or something to fit up. I'm leaning towards the latter. This can't end well.

I think the obvious solution is to fasten a Moon-style hubcap over the hole. It will at least be automotive, and designed to be outdoors forever.

Brute Squad posted:

Cursed patch jobs?

I will admit to have taped a cracked pane back together because I didn't want to fart with getting a piece of glass cut just then, but I did use the clear, outdoor rated Gorilla tape intended for tents and rubber rafts and such.
I also may have done that a couple of weekends ago and still haven't measured or anything for the new pane.

Edit: no wood or screws, though.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

1) I expect that there was a hallway that was a supporting wall there. They removed the wall, and did... that with columns, instead of building them into the walls on either end of the new beam up in the ceiling.

Really I just wanted to know what was up with those columns and their arthritic knees. What are those? Why are they there? Is that a style I'm just ignorant of?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Darchangel posted:

I think the obvious solution is to fasten a Moon-style hubcap over the hole. It will at least be automotive, and designed to be outdoors forever.

I want to find some material that I can make a spacer out of, so I can make like a 9" circle with a 5" hole, then fasten this solar fan I have over the hole, and waterseal the whole clusterfuck. Considered cutting up the existing bucket lid but sunlight has not been kind to it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Get a pair of traffic cones. Now measure the diameter of a new vent and cut both traffic cones where its diameter matches that of the new vent. Now wedge the first traffic cone up the hole from inside of the cabin so it points outward. Get the second traffic cone and cover the hole completely with the base of the cone. Rainproof the heck out of that gap between the second cone and the roof. The first cone will connect the bottom of the vent to the inside of the cabin. The second cone will connect the top of the vent to the outside of the cabin, covering over the hole so it's rainproof.

Also you'll look really cool with a traffic cone sticking out of your van.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

there wolf posted:

Really I just wanted to know what was up with those columns and their arthritic knees. What are those? Why are they there? Is that a style I'm just ignorant of?

If you're talking about the fact that they look bent, that's probably because the photographer used a fisheye lens to make the room look bigger.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you're talking about the fact that they look bent, that's probably because the photographer used a fisheye lens to make the room look bigger.

I'm really talking about the stupid tumorous knees on the columns. Am I the only one who thinks they look loving ridiculous, because y'all are really stretching to find something else that I could be complaining about.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

there wolf posted:

I'm really talking about the stupid tumorous knees on the columns. Am I the only one who thinks they look loving ridiculous, because y'all are really stretching to find something else that I could be complaining about.

Besides the two courses of glass block under the flanking windows?

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

there wolf posted:

Anyone want to fill me in on what the gently caress I'm looking at here?

It looks like those columns are flanking one hell of a tripping hazard--one that the couch is desperately trying to conceal--and that their bases are levitating.

Interesting design choices, for sure!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Brute Squad posted:

Cursed patch jobs?

When I was a kid, my brother cracked the glass in his bedroom window, and my parents just duct taped it together like that.. and left it that way for nearly 10 years. It wasn't even that we couldn't afford a repair, because they did things like remodeling the bathrooms and building a new deck, and replacing the window in their own goddamn room. We had cheap, lovely single pane windows in every room of the house except the master bedroom and it still perplexes me to this day. It didn't even get fixed when we sold that house, even though a number of other fixes were pretty much mandated. :wtc:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Bees on Wheat posted:

When I was a kid, my brother cracked the glass in his bedroom window, and my parents just duct taped it together like that.. and left it that way for nearly 10 years. It wasn't even that we couldn't afford a repair, because they did things like remodeling the bathrooms and building a new deck, and replacing the window in their own goddamn room. We had cheap, lovely single pane windows in every room of the house except the master bedroom and it still perplexes me to this day. It didn't even get fixed when we sold that house, even though a number of other fixes were pretty much mandated. :wtc:

It was the front window of a downtown building in small-town Missouri. It was like that for at least a year. I'm sure it comforted the tenants in the upstairs apartments.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PainterofCrap posted:

Besides the two courses of glass block under the flanking windows?

I feel like I understand the logic behind that poor choice more. But maybe that's just my bias for glass block showing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I guess its crappy temporary repairs?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

nice. load-bearing cling film.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The funny thing is, I kind of wonder how successful that fix was, because plastic wrap is shockingly strong.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
That cling wrap legit is the only thing there preventing lateral stresses from toppling than column. Mortar is, uh, suboptimal in shear.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Looks like there's a steel post in there, so I'm guessing the brick is more decorative than functional for support. Still be better to remove it if that's the case.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Looks like there's a steel post in there, so I'm guessing the brick is more decorative than functional for support. Still be better to remove it if that's the case.

Sounds sensible, though I suspect the type of person to wrap brickwork in cling film might be doing it because they don't feel comfortable knocking down 10ft of brick.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

I want that door.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not a fan of people peeking in at me while I walk around naked. Front doors with no windows, thanks.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Isn't the brickwork just a facade around an actual (steel?) pillar?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I thought that too, but it doesn't look like it given how far the bricks were able to curve?

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Not a fan of people peeking in at me while I walk around naked. Front doors with no windows, thanks.

Yeah, I have a client with no window treatments on their front or back doors, which are glass. The house is at the top of a T junction and you have to walk towards the front door to get down the stairs, and four or five neighbouring backyards can easily see into the back where the living room couch is. Lots of people seeing in all times of the day and night. I can’t imagine being totally clothed 24/7 like they must be.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I also dont understand why the millions dollars homes in L.A. have, like, a giant soaker tub sitting next to two 15' floor to cieling windows and poo poo, but I guess if you're rich you don't care about your body getting peeped.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Not so much a crappy construction, but a unusual focus on priorities

Home for sale: 1 bed 1 bath 816 sqft W/ HUGE 10 CAR ATTACHED CONCRETE BLOCK GARAGE 80 X 25 W/ SEPARATE 200 AMP ELECTRIC w/REAR ENTRY FROM ALLEY!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/914-E-Oak-St-Louisville-KY-40204/2092103544_zpid/

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

FCKGW posted:

Home for sale: 1 bed 1 bath 816 sqft W/ HUGE 10 CAR ATTACHED CONCRETE BLOCK GARAGE 80 X 25 W/ SEPARATE 200 AMP ELECTRIC w/REAR ENTRY FROM ALLEY!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/914-E-Oak-St-Louisville-KY-40204/2092103544_zpid/

As a car guy I see no issue with this

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

I also dont understand why the millions dollars homes in L.A. have, like, a giant soaker tub sitting next to two 15' floor to cieling windows and poo poo, but I guess if you're rich you don't care about your body getting peeped.

Are they not also secluded from view from whatever angle that is?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

FCKGW posted:

No lift tho

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Haha, I like that little bit tucked in the end there:

quote:

Buyer responsibility to verify zoning and lot lines!

That basically means 'I built my giant garage without the right permitting and probably over the fence lines', right?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why are there 10 variations of maybe 4 pictures distributed seemingly at random?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I stayed in a vacation house once that had, right next to the front door, a bathroom with the entire exterior wall windowed. Not even frosted glass. No curtains. I don't get it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Haha, I like that little bit tucked in the end there:

That basically means 'I built my giant garage without the right permitting and probably over the fence lines', right?

They literally took up every bit of available land for their giant garage. I'm pretty sure it's directly connected to the house too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
What the heck is even going on in the satellite view.

https://goo.gl/maps/RELoiyfyKY12

E: on my phone it looks like part of the roof is like peeled off.