Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Is there a thread consensus best Idle game? I'm playing Endless Frontier, Idle Apocalypse, and Tap Wizard concurrently, and they're fine, just wondering if I'm missing something better that I could not be playing.

Coin Princess is pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

foutre posted:

I've unlocked everything, it took about four or five hours and at this point it really leans into the cascade of balls - at the moment my max is 99 at a time, all though that's hard to get to.
How do you earn balls during levels in this game? I see it happening but I'm not sure what the trigger is. Destroying blocks? I got distracted during the tutorial and was like "yeah I know how this poo poo works" and then there's no way to read that text again.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Deleted SMT the rates are horrible, the game tries to hide the fact its P2W with the whole Monster combo thing but still you're looking at months of Mag farming.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

EzEight posted:

Deleted SMT the rates are horrible, the game tries to hide the fact its P2W with the whole Monster combo thing but still you're looking at months of Mag farming.

I don't really feel like this should really be a surprise with any gacha game. I'm enjoying it so far. It's a really well produced game and it seems like it has a lot of content.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Fellow gatcha degenerates, Knights Chronicle is doing a week event where every day you get a free rarest quality hero and on the last day you get 200 gems, if you quit because your heroes all sucked now is a good time to get back in. If you quit because these games are hardly games but instead dogshit time and money sinks without any actual depth, you're smarter than I am.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Fellow gatcha degenerates, Knights Chronicle is doing a week event where every day you get a free rarest quality hero and on the last day you get 200 gems, if you quit because your heroes all sucked now is a good time to get back in. If you quit because these games are hardly games but instead dogshit time and money sinks without any actual depth, you're smarter than I am.

Is the Goon Guild still going? What's it called, again?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Tunga posted:

How do you earn balls during levels in this game? I see it happening but I'm not sure what the trigger is. Destroying blocks? I got distracted during the tutorial and was like "yeah I know how this poo poo works" and then there's no way to read that text again.

To be honest not totally sure either, I think it's either just getting hits or destroying blocks. There's a blue bar next to the number of balls that indicates your progress towards getting another one, so you can watch that to try and figure it out. Either way, I think it's linked to one of those things you'll do anyway.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

maybe some of you have had more time to play than i have, but I've played hours of SMT so far and have felt zero need to care about spending any real money on the game. i haven't even really cared about spending my free gems on pulls

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 30, 2018

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lutha Mahtin posted:

maybe some of you have had more free time than i do but I've played hours of SMT so far and have felt zero need to care about spending any real money on the game. i haven't even really cared about spending my free gems on pulls

Yeah, likewise. I've got a bunch of gems saved, but it's not like I'm waiting on anything - it's just...not necessary for any reason. I've got a few four-stars, a Jack Frost that I am intent on evolving as much as possible, and I'm making my way through mission after mission having fun. There are a number of ways to strengthen demons you own without having to spend money, such as ascending them, evolving them, merging them, equipping them with brands, or levelling up their skills, so I'm quite enjoying it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

If someone hasn't played any SMT games, I can see how a person might just see "0.5% gacha drop rate" and "has PvP mode" and roll their eyes before moving on to something else. And sure, if you want to have the shiniest toys or reach the top of the leaderboard, I don't doubt that this game is like any other F2P money-sink.

But for me, I really like the game because it has a battle system that feels pretty close to a "real" SMT game, or some other older-school JRPG. Yeah, there are other games that fit the "turn-based console-style RPG battle system" but Dx2 manages to do it while also not having some of the things that annoyed me in other games with this type of battle system. This part comes down to personal preference of course, but I'm not going to rail that a game with a similarly nice battle system but which annoys me, e.g. Summoners War, is objectively a bad game, or that people who think its gem system is tolerable are stupid and should be sneered at.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 30, 2018

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
There's an easily obtainable 3-star that is easily as good - if not better - than some of the 5-stars. Who gives a poo poo about 5-stars. You can get them through fusions, and they're NOT NECESSARY to play the game and have a good time.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

New Leaf posted:

There's an easily obtainable 3-star that is easily as good - if not better - than some of the 5-stars. Who gives a poo poo about 5-stars. You can get them through fusions, and they're NOT NECESSARY to play the game and have a good time.

Which one are you referring to?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Which one are you referring to?

Teal Ose.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Pocket City is out:

Free version with ads
Premium version

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 31, 2018

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
What is SMT? I can't quite make out what the acronym is.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

cage-free egghead posted:

Shin Megami Tensi.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

cage-free egghead posted:

Shin Megami Tensei. It's a long-running Japanese RPG, and they just put out a mobile game.. The Persona series spun off from it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i was never big on sim city but i gave this a go for a few minutes and it's exactly how i remember it. i'm interested to see what you city-builder fans think of it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i was never big on sim city but i gave this a go for a few minutes and it's exactly how i remember it. i'm interested to see what you city-builder fans think of it.

It seems alright, I like the interface more than TheoTown.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Pocket City is out.

Edit: just noticed the other post.I feel silly for reposting it. I was just so excited.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I hear Pocket City is out

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Aw. It's like a cute Cities: Skyline

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Eat The Rich posted:

Pocket City is out.

Edit: just noticed the other post.I feel silly for reposting it. I was just so excited.

You can make up for it by wishing Shwqa a happy birthday.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Well, after 50 minutes of playtime Pocket City's crashed on me twice. I didn't lose any progress the first time around but my level 12 city was completely wiped after second crash with both auto and manual saves gone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

mrkillboy posted:

Well, after 50 minutes of playtime Pocket City's crashed on me twice. I didn't lose any progress the first time around but my level 12 city was completely wiped after second crash with both auto and manual saves gone.

Next time make a Nandroid backup every 5 minutes.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

mrkillboy posted:

This has been my experience, too, with the free version, except after the second crash I decided to try the SMT game instead so I dunno if my city is gone or not.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I too have experienced a few crashes in about an hour. What I did play, I really enjoyed. Feels like Cities Skyline lite

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Yeah, I'm really liking the game too (even at this early stage I feel time goes by really quickly while playing it) but it's current instability is a real shame.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

That looks really cute but I can't imagine playing that on a phone. It seems like it would be so fiddly..

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
It actually plays really well on the phone - placing buildings can sometimes be a bit annoying with the touch controls unless you zoom in, but otherwise, as ppl have said, it's basically city skylines and works v well. It's also free with ads, with pretty solid bonuses for watching them.

It's great, except for the two crashes in the first thirty mins and then an hr in the game completely freezing my phone and forcing a shut down.

Once it's stable I'll definitely buy the full version/play it a lot.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
My only complaint about Pocket City, aside from the crashing, is that it's extremely easy. The full version has higher difficulty options though so I may pick that up and see how that feels. I don't need like a Dark Souls hardcore city building experience but when I can play for hours building nonstop and not once have to worry about money it feels a little hollow. I didn't even watch any ads. On the other hand I did play for several hours and enjoyed it, the difficulty would just be padding out the play time basically.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

New Leaf posted:

You are right but I'm about the end game once all is said and done.

Personally I've played way too many gatcha games that I can literally see the end game based on experience hence quitting.

5* are not required you are right, Teal Ose and a number of 4* can lay waste to a 5* team.

But making 5* a complete pain to grind isn't my kind of fun. To me games are all about having the SSR/5* units.
The combination mechanic feels like a standard gacha trap from my point of view 'oh you don't need 5*s you can spend 10 times the effort/resource to raise X unit to 5*'.

Its a fun game no doubt I would encourage goons to try it out, the story is great.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Lutha Mahtin posted:

If someone hasn't played any SMT games, I can see how a person might just see "0.5% gacha drop rate" and "has PvP mode" and roll their eyes before moving on to something else. And sure, if you want to have the shiniest toys or reach the top of the leaderboard, I don't doubt that this game is like any other F2P money-sink.

But for me, I really like the game because it has a battle system that feels pretty close to a "real" SMT game, or some other older-school JRPG. Yeah, there are other games that fit the "turn-based console-style RPG battle system" but Dx2 manages to do it while also not having some of the things that annoyed me in other games with this type of battle system. This part comes down to personal preference of course, but I'm not going to rail that a game with a similarly nice battle system but which annoys me, e.g. Summoners War, is objectively a bad game, or that people who think its gem system is tolerable are stupid and should be sneered at.

Yeah the SMT/Persona battle system owns, it's not just a dumb idle clicker imitation of a JRPG it's actually pretty sick to fight out the harder encounters with your custom built demons.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah the SMT/Persona battle system owns, it's not just a dumb idle clicker imitation of a JRPG it's actually pretty sick to fight out the harder encounters with your custom built demons.

And as mentioned, it actually has a good story, and the characters themselves have great backstories and a lot of personality that you get to explore. They clearly put a shitload of TLC and effort into this game and didn't make a gacha cash grab (but it is a gacha and is by its very nature a cash grab but they aren't running a charity). This one will be around for YEARS.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Eat The Rich posted:

Pocket City is out.

Instabought the paid version. Dumb question, I haven't had the time to play much yet: how 'deep' can you build your zones? Do all zones have to be adjacent a road to 'work' or are you allowed a depth of 2-4 tiles?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Xtanstic posted:

Instabought the paid version. Dumb question, I haven't had the time to play much yet: how 'deep' can you build your zones? Do all zones have to be adjacent a road to 'work' or are you allowed a depth of 2-4 tiles?

I'm doing fine with 4x4 blocks for my people. Not sure how close to a road a zone needs to be. It's more that utilities and services need to be adjacent to a road.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Last Day on Earth despite being a shitgrind is pretty fun. It's the normal collect poo poo/build poo poo gold game but everywhere you go to collect stuff is full loot pvp. Seems to draw from Rust and Fallout. Good way to kill a few minutes and dozens of casuls at work when you have nothing to do.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

IAmTheRad posted:

I'm doing fine with 4x4 blocks for my people. Not sure how close to a road a zone needs to be. It's more that utilities and services need to be adjacent to a road.

Zones are watered/powered 2 tiles away from roads instead of 3 like in SimCity. Sucks. Pretty fun game though. I filled up the whole map and then started to get bored; not much left to do except upgrade my zones which makes my traffic problem even worse.

You really need to unlock bus stations earlier. Traffic is always the worst part of these games.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Man, Super Robot Taisen X-O is the first gacha I've played where they don't shower you with so much stamina/AP you can easily clear the whole main story without ever waiting. Made it as far as chapter 5 and each mission is now costing 1/3 of my max AP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

dylguy90 posted:

Last Day on Earth despite being a shitgrind is pretty fun. It's the normal collect poo poo/build poo poo gold game but everywhere you go to collect stuff is full loot pvp. Seems to draw from Rust and Fallout. Good way to kill a few minutes and dozens of casuls at work when you have nothing to do.
I've been trying this out again because I didn't realize it was full loot pvp. Seems a lot better than I remember from a while back (until I got ganked :argh:). What server are you on?

Spyde fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 2, 2018