Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nvd.131279/gov.uscourts.nvd.131279.25.0.pdf

IANAL but it looks like some kind of formal rebuttal of the claims in the suit that tesla is bringing against him for "sabotage" or whatever
Holy poo poo, it really does describe all that as "factual background", not the defendant's claims. If I was king of the law I'd tell them to gently caress off and rewrite that before I'd even hear their case. Surely you can't just say all the disputed claims are "factual background". (I like how they start the section with things that everyone would agree are fact, up to like 17 or 18, then it just goes loving nuts.)

Thanks for finding the source!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The defendant also does admit to damaging bandoliers and batteries - his excuse is that he was damaging them further so they would not get used as he claimed they were used.

Mmmmmkay

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was at a Chevy dealership the other day and checked out a Bolt, not bad, I think it might be my next car as long as used ones are cheap in five years or so.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The defendant also does admit to damaging bandoliers and batteries

This is really important.

Martin Tripp admits to sabotage. "Whistle blower" is the biggest crock of poo poo ever, this guy went to NONE of the regulatory agencies a real whistle blower would go to, he when straight to a tabloid (and maybe sold his story, this part is unclear) Martin denies it but BI journalists is very careful about the wording around if he was compensated or not.

Like, he admits to criminal sabotage, in what way is his testimony credible in at all?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
If it's true it's not a good thing, and I have info that makes it fairly easy to believe, but yeah his credibility is dead for going to press instead of the regulatory agencies that he'd actually be whistle blowing to.

Giga goes through *tons* of scrap, and having some of it get reworked into usable parts is credible. Punctured batteries getting fixed with glue is a stretch.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He's got claims that can be verified or disproven. The court should compel Tesla to track down and inspect the bad glued cells he says ended up in cars.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The defendant also does admit to damaging bandoliers and batteries - his excuse is that he was damaging them further so they would not get used as he claimed they were used.

And where does it say that? Or is this this usual Tesla cultist thing where they, following Musk’s lead, just make poo poo up to slime people?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bawfuls posted:

He's got claims that can be verified or disproven. The court should compel Tesla to track down and inspect the bad glued cells he says ended up in cars.

They really shouldn't need to, Tesla should already have all of that process documented with inspector stamps and engineer stamps on the repair scheme. Should.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Finger Prince posted:

They really shouldn't need to, Tesla should already have all of that process documented with inspector stamps and engineer stamps on the repair scheme. Should.

What would the documentation look like if they didn’t reuse them?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

What would the documentation look like if they didn’t reuse them?

Probably and a bunch of invoices for a third party recycler.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Agronox posted:

And where does it say that? Or is this this usual Tesla cultist thing where they, following Musk’s lead, just make poo poo up to slime people?

One of the court docs which right now I cant remember where exactly I saw it - In doc 25 Pg 14-31 he claims it was someone else.

There's about 50 odd different things Tesla in court are accusing him of and a few Tripp agreees he did so it's really no longer just making poo poo up for the benefit of frothers. Either Tesla or Tripp are lying but this time we get to watch a court decide whose full of it. Exciting!

bawfuls posted:

You would think so, esp given the rather large amount of battery inventory they are talking about. 100-200 million in battery materials is uhhhhh..... considerable to say the least.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 1, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
And yet GF1 fails parts like it's nothing and scrapping that many parts isn't a stretch at all, especially early in the ramp. Training for the temps at the factory was...uhhh, not comprehensive. That whole "barnacles on barnacles" thing was real, and while giga still has a ton of temps they've cut down on it a lot and doing so saved them a ton of waste.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Regardless of what Tripp was doing, the bigger issue is the robot punching holes in batteries, and instead of Tesla trying to fix it, disabling the tracking system and trying to use glue to seal the cells.

Don't change the subject. This is also not the first time they've done poo poo like this.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Regardless of what Tripp was doing, the bigger issue is the robot punching holes in batteries, and instead of Tesla trying to fix it, disabling the tracking system and trying to use glue to seal the cells.

Don't change the subject. This is also not the first time they've done poo poo like this.
If its in the casing its not that big of a deal, really. Its just a container and weather seal. Glue sealant would do fine for that. And there's still the under-body shield. If it was punching holes in the cells themselves....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
No. If you puncture Lithium batteries, you don't slap some sealant on them.

And the batteries should've been torn down further to inspect the individual cells. This is not debateable.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

No. If you puncture Lithium batteries, you don't slap some sealant on them.

And the batteries should've been torn down further to inspect the individual cells. This is not debateable.

Well yeah, but maybe they were and there should be documentation to support that. Just because the claimant didn't personally witness it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Unless the claimant is like a process auditor and his audit found that it wasn't being done, and that's why he was canned. But it sounds like he's a technician, and technicians are like mushrooms. Kept in the dark and fed on bullshit.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
That document says that powdery stuff was able to come out, and that the punctures were fairly deep. (Read it last night so I don’t remember the exact length, inch/half an inch?)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

Well yeah, but maybe they were and there should be documentation to support that. Just because the claimant didn't personally witness it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Unless the claimant is like a process auditor and his audit found that it wasn't being done, and that's why he was canned. But it sounds like he's a technician, and technicians are like mushrooms. Kept in the dark and fed on bullshit.

Not like Elon "Don't Question Me" Musk doesn't also feed bullshit. We'll see what the court case drags out, but it's not as if Tesla already has a legacy of cutting corners.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Not like Elon "Don't Question Me" Musk doesn't also feed bullshit. We'll see what the court case drags out, but it's not as if Tesla already has a legacy of cutting corners.

I'm hoping that it uncovers illegal dumping of lithium waste into Native American aquifers and of all the past 30 years of industrial process advancement they've ignored out of hubris, the don't dump your own toxic waste in your own backyard part was the one that brings them down, and they make a movie about it, and it's called Erin Brockovich 2: Mr. Tripp, and we all go back to thinking that kind of horrible poo poo only happens in movies about the skullduggery of industries from a bygone era, or in third world countries by third party contractors.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Finger Prince posted:

I'm hoping that it uncovers illegal dumping of lithium waste into Native American aquifers and of all the past 30 years of industrial process advancement they've ignored out of hubris, the don't dump your own toxic waste in your own backyard part was the one that brings them down, and they make a movie about it, and it's called Erin Brockovich 2: Mr. Tripp, and we all go back to thinking that kind of horrible poo poo only happens in movies about the skullduggery of industries from a bygone era, or in third world countries by third party contractors.

Sir, the question was if you wanted paper or plastic.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Finger Prince posted:

Why would you want this to happen?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, Elon really hasn't earned benefit of doubt, he has largely been given a pass on shipping horribly broken stuff and business practices that are questionable at best that we know about and his back is against the wall on shipping the model 3 in volume.

This totally sounds like something Elon would do.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

CommieGIR posted:

This is not debateable.

This statement does not apply to anything on the internet, ever, even if it should.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BitBasher posted:

This statement does not apply to anything on the internet, ever, even if it should.

If you ignore damage being done to a Lithium Ion cell, you don't deserve to debate. Its such a high risk issue, its akin to checking your fuel level with a lighter.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Yeah, Elon really hasn't earned benefit of doubt, he has largely been given a pass on shipping horribly broken stuff and business practices that are questionable at best that we know about and his back is against the wall on shipping the model 3 in volume.

This totally sounds like something Elon would do.

Oh, sure, but Mr. Tripp could be revealed to be a Russian agent who actually was sabotaging things as part of his mission was to destabilize American industry, and it would change exactly nobody's opinion of Musk and Tesla.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

Oh, sure, but Mr. Tripp could be revealed to be a Russian agent who actually was sabotaging things as part of his mission was to destabilize American industry, and it would change exactly nobody's opinion of Musk and Tesla.

Tesla is doing some good stuff, but is not an excuse for the corners they cut.

And there's zero excuse for Musk attacking critics by proposing 'Media Filtering' and refusing to answer questions about his company. You can support Tesla without being a fanboy of a billionaire like Musk, and you should fully be able to question Musk's motives and practice good skepticism of his claims.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
CommieGIR could be a Russian agent too! I mean just look at his name!!!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Tesla is doing some good stuff, but is not an excuse for the corners they cut.

And there's zero excuse for Musk attacking critics by proposing 'Media Filtering' and refusing to answer questions about his company. You can support Tesla without being a fanboy of a billionaire like Musk, and you should fully be able to question Musk's motives and practice good skepticism of his claims.

I wish that were true but you never see it. People equate Musk and Tesla as the same entity. I wish he would quietly disappear and hand the reigns to a quiet, competent administrator. Then maybe people would finally shut up about him. People still buy Apple products long after Jobs has gone.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Finger Prince posted:

There was no collusion! And even if there was, that's no crime!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

I wish that were true but you never see it. People equate Musk and Tesla as the same entity. I wish he would quietly disappear and hand the reigns to a quiet, competent administrator. Then maybe people would finally shut up about him. People still buy Apple products long after Jobs has gone.

Pretty much. He's got good ideas, but overstays his capabilities and generally needs to stay out of the limelight.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I agree. Whatever set of personality traits makes a successful entrepreneur seems to also make a terrible CEO.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CommieGIR posted:

If you ignore damage being done to a Lithium Ion cell, you don't deserve to debate. Its such a high risk issue, its akin to checking your fuel level with a lighter.

there is still some question about whether mr tripp is telling the truth or not

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there is still some question about whether mr tripp is telling the truth or not

I'm sure the CEO calling 'Fake News' has nothing to hide:

quote:

That, at any rate, seemed to be the contention of Tesla CEO Elon Musk in an extraordinary corporate earnings call on Wednesday. The quarterly conference call with investors—a routine affair for most public companies—took a left turn when Musk cut short the Q&A, deeming their questions about Tesla’s finances “boring” and “bonehead” and taking questions instead from a 25-year-old YouTuber who had tweeted at him on Monday. As Tesla’s stock plunged in after-hours trading, Musk detoured into a Trumpian rant—yes, another one—against the dishonest media.

The problem is: Tripp has already agreed some of the things he's accused of he did, so I'm curious to see more about his claims versus the guy whose pissed that he's getting called out on corner cutting.

That's before we get into their under-reporting of workers safety issues and other manufacturing issues that raise flags and already support some of what Tripp is claiming.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's also a question as to scale and severity of damage. If I scrape a bit of the plastic skin off of a battery pack, that does nothing. Even if that skin gets punctured, it should be possible to verify the integrity of the cells in the pack. So a possible and perfectly valid response to "these battery packs all got punctured" is "okay, send them to our battery expert, they'll manually inspect each pack, remove the irreparable ones, and fix the rest" (which fix might consist of replacing cells and might just be "everything inside is fine, literally the only problem is the pack now has a hole in its outer skin".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's also a question as to scale and severity of damage. If I scrape a bit of the plastic skin off of a battery pack, that does nothing. Even if that skin gets punctured, it should be possible to verify the integrity of the cells in the pack. So a possible and perfectly valid response to "these battery packs all got punctured" is "okay, send them to our battery expert, they'll manually inspect each pack, remove the irreparable ones, and fix the rest" (which fix might consist of replacing cells and might just be "everything inside is fine, literally the only problem is the pack now has a hole in its outer skin".

Yeah, this is an automotive company currently struggling to even get panel gaps correct, let alone meet production figures while building out of a tent before shipping cars to holding lots to be touched up.

Forgive me if I am not shocked if they are puncturing a highly reactive rare earth metal battery pack, possibly into the skin of the battery itself.

Tesla needs to be held to a higher standard than your average Automotive company, because they claim to want to be more.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 1, 2018

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, this is an automotive company currently struggling to even get panel gaps correct, let alone meet production figures while building out of a tent before shipping cars to holding lots to be touched up.

Forgive me if I am not shocked if they are puncturing a highly reactive rare earth metal battery pack, possibly into the skin of the battery itself.

Tesla needs to be held to a higher standard than your average Automotive company, because they claim to want to be more.

I don't think they should be, but I think all companies should be, if that makes sense.
I don't think there's a question of whether or not the batteries were damaged, just whether or not they were repaired/recycled/reused according to approved procedures. The suspicion is no. But it should be fairly easy to prove otherwise if you hold them to even Volkswagen's standards.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

But it should be fairly easy to prove otherwise if you hold them to even Volkswagen's standards.

Yes, which is why there needs to be an audit by an external company of the Model 3 production processes.

Musk screaming about Fake News isn't helping my skepticism.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm not saying they aren't shipping dangerous damaged batteries in their cars, I'm just saying there exists a possible innocuous explanation for the events seen by the "whistleblower".

Holding Tesla to a higher standard is fine, but holding them to a stupid standard is not. If the damage to the batteries was repairable to like-new status then they shouldn't be discarded.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm not saying they aren't shipping dangerous damaged batteries in their cars, I'm just saying there exists a possible innocuous explanation for the events seen by the "whistleblower".

Holding Tesla to a higher standard is fine, but holding them to a stupid standard is not. If the damage to the batteries was repairable to like-new status then they shouldn't be discarded.

Again: Given their ongoing production issues, I don't have a lot of confidence in their ability to do that.

Maybe they should fix the process where the damage is far less likely to happen? Maybe not build out of a bunch of tents in a vacant lot? Tesla is making all the mistakes of most major manufacturers, but refusing to learn the lessons that most ICE manufacturers have learned decades ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
We don't actually know what happened; it seems pointless to argue about it.

• Locked thread