Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Menu bgm is only gone on two out of seven days of week. It's a known issue with an unclear cause. Project is open source though so patches are welcome from anybody who figures it out.

Also try using d3d antilag. I haven't used it myself but people have said good things about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I’ve been getting into game dev lately, and sometimes I wonder if I should ever bother trying to make my own Bemani sim. Seems like a fun project, but I doubt it’ll actually be needed by anyone but me, since I’m pretty amateurish and the existing open source projects already have years and years of skilled developme—

Sapozhnik posted:

Menu bgm is only gone on two out of seven days of week. It's a known issue with an unclear cause.

:catstare:

mes
Apr 28, 2006

IIDX controller talk:

Earlier, I was fixing one of my buttons on my controller when I noticed that one of the buttons wasn't engaging the same way as the others. Is there a proper way to remove the microswitch holder off a Sanwa button? I just sort of ripped it off and re-seated it by pressing it in hard and that did the trick. A video I saw, albeit using DAO buttons, twisted the microswitch holder and it sort of clicked into, and out of place but I couldn't really do with with my Sanwas.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

The Sanwa switch holders don’t twist in, they pop in and out as you’ve found. I usually leave the switch in for more grip, rock it halfway out, then pull it the rest of the way out. To push in rocking it back in or popping firmly in one motion both work.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

DanAdamKOF posted:

The Sanwa switch holders don’t twist in, they pop in and out as you’ve found. I usually leave the switch in for more grip, rock it halfway out, then pull it the rest of the way out. To push in rocking it back in or popping firmly in one motion both work.

Good to know, thanks!

Yeah I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

enojy posted:

Florigoons, Beach Fun & Games in... Clearwater Beach? (I think they moved at some point in the past 10 years or so) has upgraded their ancient Beatmania IIDX 8th Style-turned-RED-turned-Happy-Sky machine to Sinobuz as of today. I'm like 98% sure I'm gonna make an impromptu roadtrip out there today, so if anyone lives in the area, feel free to come say hi and check it out! Otherwise, I'll be back tomorrow with a trip report.

Really curious to see how that machine is operating these days... They would've had to have upgraded the entire computer to run Sinobuz, right? The computer running Happy Sky was seriously on its death bed the last time I played there, and that was a decade ago.

Sorry about quoting from a page ago, but hello! My ex roommate and good buddy was the manager at Beach Gameland back when it was on Clearwater Beach. We've been going out and playing Sinobuz a lot since they upgraded. Then he went and bought an FP7 and my itch to play at home has gotten BAD. I have an old US home controller...somewhere and have been thinking about getting back into things seriously. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a PS2-USB adapter that actually works well with PC? I'm still a Light7 scrub so I don't think I need to drop hundreds on an ASC, but I'd like to get some kind of practice in at home.

As far as the conditions at the beach arcade they're.. not awesome. Especially if you're there on the weekend, the air hockey table directly behind the machine gets used a lot and it's really distracting. The owner has seen a real pickup in traffic from the IIDX upgrade, and will hopefully be investing in some more rhythm games soon, so there's that. I spent many a summer night at BGL playing DDR, ITG, and IIDX Red, so it's got a lot of nostalgia value for me, but I think the owner has some work to do if she really wants it to be a rhythm game arcade.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Caseman posted:

Sorry about quoting from a page ago, but hello! My ex roommate and good buddy was the manager at Beach Gameland back when it was on Clearwater Beach. We've been going out and playing Sinobuz a lot since they upgraded. Then he went and bought an FP7 and my itch to play at home has gotten BAD. I have an old US home controller...somewhere and have been thinking about getting back into things seriously. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a PS2-USB adapter that actually works well with PC? I'm still a Light7 scrub so I don't think I need to drop hundreds on an ASC, but I'd like to get some kind of practice in at home.

As far as the conditions at the beach arcade they're.. not awesome. Especially if you're there on the weekend, the air hockey table directly behind the machine gets used a lot and it's really distracting. The owner has seen a real pickup in traffic from the IIDX upgrade, and will hopefully be investing in some more rhythm games soon, so there's that. I spent many a summer night at BGL playing DDR, ITG, and IIDX Red, so it's got a lot of nostalgia value for me, but I think the owner has some work to do if she really wants it to be a rhythm game arcade.

There isn't a good option for the USKOC, unfortunately -- the turntable is digitally-actuated (unlike the analog JKOC) and the PCB doesn't respond as well to an increased USB polling rate. Of course, if you don't terribly mind the inconsistency in timing, I imagine any PSX->USB converter would do fine enough. The old gold standard was a Radio Shack 26-729, but I think that's long out of production. An FP7, on the other hand... is excellent!

I'm definitely gonna make my way back over to the Sinobuz machine once the weather eases up a bit. Their A/C was struggling to keep up, having a 600Hz plasma monitor blasting heat into your face right next to a huge window was no help, and walking outside into the near-triple digit weather after a session was just miserable. Also gotta find a more suitable (free) place to park!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
PS2 controllers expect to be polled at 60Hz in sync with the game's main loop and, well, USB doesn't really work that way. Exceeding this polling rate works on JKOCs but in general they weren't designed and tested with that use case in mind.

That being said, if PS2 controllers are really still being used in 2018 then there may be ways to adapt Bemanitools to make the 60 Hz thing work correctly and still have acceptable gameplay performance. Don't count on that code change happening any time too soon though.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

enojy posted:

There isn't a good option for the USKOC, unfortunately -- the turntable is digitally-actuated (unlike the analog JKOC) and the PCB doesn't respond as well to an increased USB polling rate. Of course, if you don't terribly mind the inconsistency in timing, I imagine any PSX->USB converter would do fine enough. The old gold standard was a Radio Shack 26-729, but I think that's long out of production.

It's me, I'm the guy still using two of those Radio Shack adapters at 250Hz with USKOCs. Works fine for my skill level and amount of play. Also, the JKOC turntable is digital as well, not analog.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

You could flash a Teensy with the USBemani code and wire that in, it's not the easiest but it's another way.

...I wonder if Expand Judge would make USKOC with an adapter that has fluctuating lag feel correct??

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

It's me, I'm the guy still using two of those Radio Shack adapters at 250Hz with USKOCs. Works fine for my skill level and amount of play. Also, the JKOC turntable is digital as well, not analog.

I'm also using a JKOC and adapter. I never adjusted the Hz or anything, do I just use bemanitools to do that? What would be the best settings for a JKOC?

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

USKOC and the Radio Shack adapter I pulled out of a box is working ~okay~ so far. Expand Jude definitely helps, but really feels like cheating. I'm still dropping inputs all over the place, but it's better than nothing. Hopefully it'll hold me over until gamo restocks their US warehouse.

Elephunk posted:

I'm also using a JKOC and adapter. I never adjusted the Hz or anything, do I just use bemanitools to do that? What would be the best settings for a JKOC?

I used this to jack up the polling rate, it seems like it helped but didn't fix it altogether. I'm on the US model, though.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

The 26-729 adapter works best at 250Hz - anything higher and it won't work, period. You should use the tool linked in this thread (it says it's for mice, but it'll work with other USB devices as well).

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Got my new office desk set up so now I finally have a dedicated monitor for IIDX and other stuff. I have it on a swivel mount so I'm ready for SDVX, too! It's great not to have to shuffle around my keyboard and mouse every time I want to play.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Going to be spending next weekend (26th - 30th) at the Round 1 in Lithonia, GA! Heading up there with a grip of Florida folk. I'll be the old, obvious goon on the IIDX machine.

ebacho
Oct 26, 2010
In other Bemani news, Museca died today. I had a lot of fun with it but basically stopped playing it after the rumors of its impending closure started circling around several months ago. There was a cab at CAX which was pretty neat, so I hope it still survives in some private collections.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ebacho posted:

In other Bemani news, Museca died today. I had a lot of fun with it but basically stopped playing it after the rumors of its impending closure started circling around several months ago. There was a cab at CAX which was pretty neat, so I hope it still survives in some private collections.

Aww man, I never did get a chance to try it. It looked hard, so I just stuck to what I know, like a coward. :smith:

Any chance for places like R1 to... I dunno, keep it somehow? Can it be run offline, or would Konami shoot that down?

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Oddly enough Konami sells an official offline kit for Museca. Rather than just letting it die or pushing a free offline patch.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Code Jockey posted:

Aww man, I never did get a chance to try it. It looked hard, so I just stuck to what I know, like a coward. :smith:

Any chance for places like R1 to... I dunno, keep it somehow? Can it be run offline, or would Konami shoot that down?

The R1 I was at this weekend was doing just this! Dunno if they already received and installed an offline kit or what, but eAmuse was not being accepted on the machines.

ebacho
Oct 26, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

The problem with the offline kits is that they don't even unlock everything, it gives you 30k coloris (currency used to unlock songs) at the beginning of your session. That's only enough to get 1 level 15, which is not good if you're trying to grind stuff out at harder levels.

Round ones in the US are supposed to get the offline kits but I doubt many will stick with the game with the song limitations and collection aspect totally dead.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
https://twitter.com/IIDX_OFFICIAL/status/1024584279525912577

Here we go again.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:vince:

Everyone was expecting ROOTS, but not like this. I guess the theme is geometry/triangles?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Dear Bemani, please bring back console IIDX instead of breakneck mix upgrades. Thx

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Dear Bemani, please bring back console IIDX instead of breakneck mix upgrades. Thx

IIDX INFINTAS is as good as it's going to get unless Konami suddenly becomes a different company.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I hope the theme is about geology, rocks, and spelunking

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
No new pop’n on its 20th but a new IIDX less than a year after the last one.

Okay.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Tempura Wizard posted:

Okay.

IIDX is on a pretty regular schedule at this point and has been for years.

I'm not sure what Konami is doing with Pop'n.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DizzyBum posted:

IIDX is on a pretty regular schedule at this point and has been for years.

I'm not sure what Konami is doing with Pop'n.

I have a sinking suspicion that Usaneko is the final pop'n.

maseca
Mar 18, 2017

Is Infinitas worth picking up? I want to play IIDX on my PC and I'm not sure what other options there are.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

maseca posted:

Is Infinitas worth picking up? I want to play IIDX on my PC and I'm not sure what other options there are.

Your other option is Lunatic Rave 2, what is for IIDX that Stepmania is for DDR. It's a bitch to setup and play, but if you can get through the hassle it's totally worth it. There are official IIDX songs/charts out there, but these are technically illegal to possess due to copyright and all that. There are a poo poo-ton of community songs (BMS) especially if difficulty 12 is a little too tame for you.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

djfooboo posted:

Tempura Wizard posted:

Okay.

IIDX releases have been slower than ever so idk what you're both even on about. It used to be that IIDX got a new release every 6 months. Now it's roughly a year to a year and a half before a new one releases. This is even the latest a location test has ever been announced for it.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Tempura Wizard posted:

Okay.

this got me sad too :'( is it dead

The Store
May 2, 2009

now presenting beatmania iidx 26 zybourne clock

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
beatmania iidx 26: m'lady

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Store posted:

Sapozhnik posted:

beatmania iidx 26: m'lady

oh lord lmao

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

...Okay, I did not expect that at all.

Time to find some videos.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
https://twitter.com/virtual_self/status/1025269043257729024

I'm super excited that this is happening! All the stuff that Porter Robinson has put out as Virtual Self sounds exactly like it should be in a Bemani game so this is really awesome!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

infinite99 posted:

https://twitter.com/virtual_self/status/1025269043257729024

I'm super excited that this is happening! All the stuff that Porter Robinson has put out as Virtual Self sounds exactly like it should be in a Bemani game so this is really awesome!

I've never heard of this guy until today, and after listening to this song and a few others, I wish I'd known about him for a lot longer.

e: I take that back, I have heard of this guy - he did Quasar SpookyDove Remix!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7gSL4u8Pt4

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 4, 2018

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

The Store posted:

Ah yes, Brooks Scratchtackle and Johnny Five Jacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
I'm in Cali visiting relatives for the weekend and they live about 2 miles away from the Puente Hills mall, so we went to the Round 1 for a little bit. I was not prepared for the Cannon Ballers announcer to go absolutely crazy when you get a full combo+AAA.