Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This week Google's rolling out a feature for the Clock app that let's you select stuff from Spotify as your alarm.

But there's no mention of GPM...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

This week Google's rolling out a feature for the Clock app that let's you select stuff from Spotify as your alarm.

Oh Google

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Amazing. It's like they actively want us to switch services.

According to this article they're going to add YouTube Music integration 'in the future.' Still, nothing about GPM. loving hell.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

works for me!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

I assume there's a fallback notification sound stored locally, but the idea of someone giving the excuse "Uhh I missed my alarm, because the WiFi unplugged?" in any professional setting is ...nice.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
What's a good setup for reading long form PDFs across several devices?

I've bought some digital book bundles recently and, to my dismay, several of the books are distributed in .pdf format. I've had trouble getting .pdf to reflow, sync across devices, take highlights and notes, etc. Reading on my phone has been especially miserable because of the need to zoom and scroll both vertically and horizontally. Anyone have a PDF reading setup they're satisfied with?

Currently I use FoxIt reader because I can keep constant crop & zoom settings across pages, but maybe something better is available.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

What's a good setup for reading long form PDFs across several devices?

I've bought some digital book bundles recently and, to my dismay, several of the books are distributed in .pdf format. I've had trouble getting .pdf to reflow, sync across devices, take highlights and notes, etc. Reading on my phone has been especially miserable because of the need to zoom and scroll both vertically and horizontally. Anyone have a PDF reading setup they're satisfied with?

Currently I use FoxIt reader because I can keep constant crop & zoom settings across pages, but maybe something better is available.

Kindle actually, you can email it to the address in your Amazon settings and it will sync to your account. It might not work perfectly, it depends on how well it can parse out text etc. I've read a pdf book imported like this and it remembered my position between sessions like other ebooks and rendered text just fine without needing to zoom or scroll. But I didn't jump between devices while reading. YMMV, but worth a shot.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Google Docs had some sort of ebook/PDF functionality, but I don't know what it entailed. It wasn't too reliable years and years ago with large comic book files, but I bet it'd work better with text.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Is Google Play Books or whatever it's called still a thing? I used to use that to sync epubs and pdfs.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Yup, I use Play Books up upload eBooks/PDFs for reading across my phone and tablet (and even browser).

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I wish there was more to Play Books than a big, long list of everything, sorted either by title or by author. I mean there's 'collections' for like the Lord of the Rings and the Hitchhiker's Guide series and so on, but surprise surprise that's just for Play Store purchases.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Montalvo posted:

Amazing. It's like they actively want us to switch services.

We'll, if they do it worked on me!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

SuperiorColliculus posted:

We'll, if they do it worked on me!

I keep holding out in some misguided hope that they'll do something good with GPM, but at this point I think I'm just wasting my time. It'll be a shame to have to see ads in YouTube again.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If one notch bothers you, this article may be extra triggering.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/31/17634058/android-p-notch-limits-google

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
why the gently caress can I not search my YouTube playlists in 2018

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Stevie Lee posted:

why the gently caress can I not search my YouTube playlists in 2018

Likewise, why the gently caress does the "Recents" page in GPM not actually list everything you listened to recently???

It seems to be arbitrary whether a song you listen to actually ends up being listed on your recent songs list. Crazy.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My least favourite thing about YouTube music is how it shows in my regular YouTube history

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/01/youtube-music-new-features/

Google says that updates are going to happen on YTM every two weeks to address complaints.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My dreams of a Battlestar Galactica phone with the corners cut off are shattered.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/01/youtube-music-new-features/

Google says that updates are going to happen on YTM every two weeks to address complaints.

I guess this also confirms that GPM will be folded into YTM.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Montalvo posted:

I guess this also confirms that GPM will be folded into YTM.

That was confirmed months ago when they launched YTM. They were clear it was going to happen, there's just no specific timeline

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

quote:

being able to sort your albums by something other than recently added -- which we're told is "firmly on the roadmap."

Seems like something that should have been implemented before release. Thanks Google.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

elmer chud posted:

Seems like something that should have been implemented before release. Thanks Google.

MVP's gonna MVP.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well, sorting things is a hard computer science thing which hardly any apps have ever implemented. Give them time to get their crack machine learning teams on it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

if a product isn't one of Google's big money makers i always assume that it will look to me, the user, like the product is being managed by a teenager with undiagnosed adhd

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This is why I hate agile so much for new projects. You cram as few features as you possibly can to make the app functional and deliver a minimum viable product, and it ends up being unusable because if you had just waited 6 months to make it more feature rich you'd have a decent app on your hands.

/end enterprise appdev rant

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

docbeard posted:

My dreams of a Battlestar Galactica phone with the corners cut off are shattered.

Corners are not notches and we sort of have that already with rounded-corner screens.

Also a BSG cell phone would be exceedingly 'have you learned nothing', but if you just want clipped corners I don't think there's anything there to stop you?

v v v :v:

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 1, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

"They Have a Plan"

proceeds to not have any plan whatsoever

Yup, that's about the most Google thing ever.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
e: nvm

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 2, 2018

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Can someone recommend a good QR-Reader, that can read codes from pictures that are in the gallery?

I am currently using "Barcode Scanner" because it has a builtin QR-generator. But I recently installed a separate generator, because Barcode Scanner can't create those combined wifi tags.
I am using QR Code Generator now, but if there is a better rec for a generator, I would also be interested.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Looks like the much-hyped Fortnite on Android release is going to be distributed directly from EPIC and bypass the Play Store.

This is fine and will not cause issues.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FunOne posted:

Looks like the much-hyped Fortnite on Android release is going to be distributed directly from EPIC and bypass the Play Store.

This is fine and will not cause issues.

If it doesn't cause any issues, Google will probably make some. I hope it's a success, as that will undermine the blood sucking Apple-like 30% rate.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ola posted:

If it doesn't cause any issues, Google will probably make some. I hope it's a success, as that will undermine the blood sucking Apple-like 30% rate.

Why shouldn't Google, who created the platform, manages its direction, and is the only reason the market exists, not profit from those wishing to publish for it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Why shouldn't Google, who created the platform, manages its direction, and is the only reason the market exists, not profit from those wishing to publish for it?

I didn't not say that. I just want lower rates.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Wait, so you have to side-load it? Or or download another app to download it (like the Amazon app store or whatever)?

Or is just in-game purchasing not via Play?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Moey posted:

Wait, so you have to side-load it? Or or download another app to download it (like the Amazon app store or whatever)?

Or is just in-game purchasing not via Play?

You will have to sideload it, and also enable non-playstore installs during that process on some phones.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Thermopyle posted:

b-but what about timely? Remember when google bought them?

(I paid for it 6 years ago and I still use it as my alarm)

((it hasn't gotten an update in as long as I can remember - probably 2016))

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FunOne posted:

You will have to sideload it, and also enable non-playstore installs during that process on some phones.

That sounds awfully inconvenient for people.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Moey posted:

That sounds awfully inconvenient for people.

For normal people installing an app that shows football results, yes. For kids installing Fortnite, not in the least.

It's going be extremely popular, which is maybe why it will bend Google's will (they just went with 30% because Apple did) and definitely why it will be a security problem.

Sideloadable Fortnite "cheats" and "upgrades" will appear online, owning kids and making their PC gaming dads, who got a CS aimbot virus, feel nostalgic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

Been looking round but can't find any really great image annotation apps that reviews lead me to trust. Any recommendations?

Took a while, but I answered my own question. Annotate does exactly what I want it to. Take photo, slap a red arrow on it and some text, share immediately. You can do exactly that with the free version, but after it did it well, I happily parted with precious Rewards Credit. Magnify tool is pretty nifty.