Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

Brilliant outcome.

A very unexpected outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Relevant: 1988 Hilux Surf on BaT.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Neat, I checked out BaT when I was starting to list my 85 but their reserve was a little low vs. what I know I can get out of it so I've stalled. This should give a good indication of where I can expect prices to go.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Also...if you remember my car had the Toyota OEM tire chains, and like an umbrella and stuff. I kind of thought I would get that in the mail. Will it be in the car?

EDIT: HOLY poo poo the Majesta had 300km in 2014. 300 not 300,000

HOLY

everdave fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 1, 2018

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

F me, I should have jumped on that '94 near me last weekend.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Also...if you remember my car had the Toyota OEM tire chains, and like an umbrella and stuff. I kind of thought I would get that in the mail. Will it be in the car?

EDIT: HOLY poo poo the Majesta had 300km in 2014. 300 not 300,000

HOLY

Physical items, especially large stuff like an umbrella (wtf) should be in the car. A couple times I've gotten manuals in the mail and some keys but not usually.

Killer on your exceptionally low mileage too, owns.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am up and down but now super excited about getting this car

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Everdave did you get the 2J or 1UZ?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Wrar posted:

Everdave did you get the 2J or 1UZ?

It’s the 2JZ

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Put a medium large turbo in it and have a baller sleeper.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Wrar posted:

Put a medium large turbo in it and have a baller sleeper.

Let's see if I ever manage to get my hands on it. Supposed to arrive at port in Savannah today

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Adventures in JDM maintenance staring NABCO

Bought a $22 dollar full clutch master cylinder off Amazon for various other Mitsubishis, turns out the outer shell doesn't fit. I half-expected this as I jumped part numbers. The flange on the Amazon one was set too far back toward the firewall which means it impacts the heat shield in the engine bay but it would work just fine otherwise. However the spring and seals within the cylinder itself are identical between the original part number and the one I jumped to so I swapped the guts to the old case. Installed, flushed, adjusted the pedal travel and wow shifts great no grinds all good in the Pajero. Couldn't see anything specific on why the seals gave way but it doesn't leak anymore.

Yesterday I went ahead and decided to install the plug and wire set on the Crown that I had already had because I had a low-level vague idea that the issue was spark and not (as I had convinced myself) a blown headgasket. gently caress it, maybe I'll learn something, did the deed. Started it up, seemed to run better but still stumbled enough to die, sometimes.
Today I went ahead and popped off the distributor cap to take a look and wouldn't you know it, there was a bunch of scale/buildup on a bunch of the contacts. Chipped it off (!), buffed out the contacts to a nice shine and put it back on, started it up. Magically the issue is gone and the Crown runs great. I now feel like a huge moronic idiot but in a good way.
Let it run for 20 minutes to get it up to temp, ran the AC, idled just fine. I do feel foolish for jumping right to headgasket as now looking back (and examining it today again after it was running fine) there is no evidence of this. Oil is clean, coolant never goes down and now that there is spark there is no vapor out of the exhaust because all the fuel is being burned. Doesn't overheat even in this brutal Florida sun.

So hey, who wants to buy a sweet Toyota Crown Royal Saloon? At cost since I'm only interested in breaking even :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That's a great day of progress right there!

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

KakerMix posted:

So hey, who wants to buy a sweet Toyota Crown Royal Saloon? At cost since I'm only interested in breaking even :v:

Wash the Crown, take some new pics and post em to this thread please.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If you saw in the chat thread I have located my Toyota. It is here and has been a few days.

The forms were not sent in to customs maybe that is my fault but I don't think so as I've been in communication with JCD.

Had a broker run screaming I was recommended by the Autoliner company. Said I could owe $15k fine to Homeland Security.

Sourced a local broker (to the port) who assures me he can handle it no problem no fines.

Just an update

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:wtc:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah your experience has been a real wtf, total disappointment, but am excited for when you finally get it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Loanarn posted:

Wash the Crown, take some new pics and post em to this thread please.

Spoke too soon, started having the exact same issue this morning when I turned it on to get it moving. Had a mechanic neighbor of mine (old school guy into air cooled stuff) so while he was open about not truly having a clue on something so complex vs. what he normally works on, we went through and determined it isn't the headgasket, it is getting spark and that it's fuel delivery related. Trying to nail down the sensor situation as the pump is just fine and I had just recently replaced the fuel filter. Chasing intermittent issues on a not-English-language car like this gives the afraid of daily driving JDM people nightmares. Not a big deal and I get to learn as I go :toot:

Yeah everdave I have no idea what is going on with your whole exchange as mine has always been smooth and I'm up to 12-soon-to-be15 vehicles. Only issues I've had have has been one instance of 'actually this truck is a 4 seater please charge me less tax' and about 4 minor paperwork issues where I spot some sort of mistake and then ask to get it corrected.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What did you do to determine it wasn't the HG?

A quick way that usually works on Toyotas is to stick the radiator overflow hose into a bucket of water and let the car reach temp. Usually a bad HG will throw a stream of bubbles into the bucket.
Taken a timing gun to it quick yet? Figure you probably have if you popped the dist off, but ya never know.
Leakdown or compression test yet?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 6, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BlackMK4 posted:

What did you do to determine it wasn't the HG?

A quick way that usually works on Toyotas is to stick the radiator overflow hose into a bucket of water and let the car reach temp. Usually a bad HG will throw a stream of bubbles into the bucket.
Taken a timing gun to it quick yet? Figure you probably have if you popped the dist off, but ya never know.
Leakdown or compression test yet?

The issue is so wildly inconsistent is the problem. Start it up, let it run, everything is fine. Next morning immediately have rough idle issues right on cold start when there is no heatsoak. Sometimes you can start it and have a normal idle and the it hesitates hard when you touch the throttle.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, if you do a compression test and a leak down test you can rule out a cracked head/block, bad head gasket, and bad or leaking valve all at once... or pinpoint which one of these it is (if it is one).
Probably should be your very first step from here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Mate linked me this with the comment "wife material":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RcyRYVa6U

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

Mate linked me this with the comment "wife material":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RcyRYVa6U

If this is the Leno AZ-1 video (I'm on my phone) those comments are painfully stereotypical.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It is a very :3: combination though.

Halfway through. Interesting that Jay seems to be talking over her less he normally comes across as doing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

Halfway through. Interesting that Jay seems to be talking over her less he normally comes across as doing.
She's one of the admins in the AZ-1 Facebook group and we've been mocking the "wife material", "millennials! :argh:", and "take a drink when she says so" comments.
I was more surprised at how Leno said a few times "I'd like one of these"

That's right Jay, drive up those prices :getin:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

everdave posted:

If you saw in the chat thread I have located my Toyota. It is here and has been a few days.

The forms were not sent in to customs maybe that is my fault but I don't think so as I've been in communication with JCD.

Had a broker run screaming I was recommended by the Autoliner company. Said I could owe $15k fine to Homeland Security.

Sourced a local broker (to the port) who assures me he can handle it no problem no fines.

Just an update

That is the penalty for late filing isf 10+2. U usually get a pass for your first late filing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I just watched it and yeah you'd think he would do some research on the car before he goes to record the episode and not just talk over his guest the whole time.

he also seems truly 'whelmed' about the whole thing.

why is this show popular.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It drives me loving insane how much he talks over his guests. I get it that some of them are probably awkward on camera and need to be prodded but he just jumps in there with both feet like he's ordering McDonalds in a foreign language he doesn't speak.

I can't even watch it anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All the cool kids have hated Leno for a long time. Especially after how he hosed over Conan.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

All the cool kids have hated Leno for a long time. Especially after how he hosed over Conan.

I didn't like when him and Chris Rock said Michael Vick didn't really do a real crime and caring about dogs is white people stuff... I don't remember the exact wording, you can find it on YouTube

Edit: well it's probably not on YouTube anymore.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

But without that we wouldn't have the Bugatti Veyron mouse.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
everdave, I hope you get your stuff sorted as soon as possible so we can see cool pics of your barely driven grandpa-san mobile.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

But without that we wouldn't have the Bugatti Veyron mouse.

I'd have rather had 10 years of Conan on TTS. Also the bonus of Jimmy Fallon not being a thing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bolind posted:

everdave, I hope you get your stuff sorted as soon as possible so we can see cool pics of your barely driven grandpa-san mobile.
OG ojiisan.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

bolind posted:

Forms are being submitted to my broker at this moment so hopefully within a week or so

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Forms are being submitted to my broker at this moment so hopefully within a week or so

Should check to see the free time you have for the car to sit at the port. For me it's generally a week although when the ship that was holding my last three vehicles showed up about a week early they honored the expected time of arrival for storage so I ended up having two weeks instead of the usual one.
I've never went over the free storage time so I couldn't tell you what to expect if you do have to pay storage fees. I know they are real minimal (like $15 a day?) but the inconvenience of paying it is probably more of a tax.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I'd have rather had 10 years of Conan on TTS. Also the bonus of Jimmy Fallon not being a thing.

I dunno, the laugh and "hell yes" about how expensive the bit is still gets me every loving time. That is the laugh of a man tasting the fruits of his most delicious revenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxZVJLkWr1c&t=89s

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Should check to see the free time you have for the car to sit at the port. For me it's generally a week although when the ship that was holding my last three vehicles showed up about a week early they honored the expected time of arrival for storage so I ended up having two weeks instead of the usual one.
I've never went over the free storage time so I couldn't tell you what to expect if you do have to pay storage fees. I know they are real minimal (like $15 a day?) but the inconvenience of paying it is probably more of a tax.

It actually says 20 days on mine but I've already used up like 4 days

EDIT: Majesta has cleared customs

My broker just solved all my problems with this for $355

everdave fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 8, 2018